HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Corey Locke has been named the AHL Player of the Month for April.

7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points, +11 in 7 games.

Hardest Working Bulldogs Player: Jonathan Ferland
*As voted on by the local media at each home game and by the Hamilton Bulldogs Radio Broadcast Team after each road game throughout the season.

Habs Prospects website

Last edited by habsprospects: 04-15-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old
04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
windycity

I know Trotter didn't play that much but any comments on how he played/potential?

Old
04-16-2008, 03:05 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Dogs will be looking to sign AHL free agents independently this summer so that they can avoid call-up losses.

Old
04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
windycity

truth be told they're likely to lose fewer players next season to call-ups since the best ones are mostly in Mtl already and likely to stay

but of course you never know with injuries,trades etc

Old
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
truth be told they're likely to lose fewer players next season to call-ups since the best ones are mostly in Mtl already and likely to stay

but of course you never know with injuries,trades etc
I agree, with all the guys who made the team this past year, it looks like there should be at least a lull in the waves of kids coming up fighting for NHL jobs.

All the same, the way to win in the AHL is with a good group of AHL players. Can't blame Hamilton for wanting to be competitive in their own league. Going to be a lot of habs prospects moving through the organization in the next few years. As this year shows, Hamilton can't count on them sticking around long.

Old
04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I know Trotter didn't play that much but any comments on how he played/potential?
He's got some skill with the puck for sure but he's lacking in strength, both upper and lower. Would like to see him get a little faster. I think he should turn into a very solid AHLer, we'll see how much he improves though as he's still young and just getting started in the ahl.

I want to see the Dogs have a good team, stupid AHL rules kept them from making the playoffs, and it certainly hurts to lose your starter (Halak) who was the top rated goalie in the ahl at the time of his callup, your all star defensemen (O'Byrne) and your top forward (Grabovski).

But I also think they should leave it to Gainey and his staff, last time they brought in Manlow and Baines, well Manlow went from being a good scoring AHLer to going almost the entire year without a goal. I do like Baines though and hope he's back as he's a good veteran leader to have around.

As for the article, next year could be one of the biggest group of incoming rookies to Hamilton, I guess the writer of the article doesn't know that, but with Wyman, White, Maxwell, Weber and maybe more in addition to Trotter who i'm not sure if he's played too many games to be considered a rookie but it will be his first full season. So these guys need ice time, on top of getting Carle, Valentenko, ice and some of the ECHLers might be ready to move up. Hopefully Aubin is one of the guys that sticks full time.

My concern is in nets and on defense, although having Carle/Weber at RD should be good for the PP that struggled throughout the year and I assume Valentenko will spend a lot of time in Hamilton, they will still need a good vet on defense imo. Desjardins looked good at the end, so he might be a good backup, but I would like to see a good goalie brought in, moreso if one of Price/Halak gets injured next year, but I want to see the dogs make the playoffs, as long as it's not at the expense of guys like Maxwell/White/Wyman/Weber

Old
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It's just one article in the aftermath of a very disappointing season, and I'm not going to overreact to it. But it's not the kind of tone I'd want to hear from my development team if I was running the Habs. Ironically, the whole Chicago methodology has been indicted at times as part of Atlanta's lack of success. While if I'm not entirely mistaken, the Bulldogs and their young Hablings won the Calder Cup last year, not Chicago.

I don't know, maybe the article is more of a PR spin than anything, trying to reassure irate fans in the wake of a losing season, offer them some faux encouragement to renew. Because I don't know how much more they can get out of bringing in a limited number of gunslingers. The bottom line is that the AHL is, by design, a developmental league, and these days there just aren't that many Haydars or Krogs around anymore. Those kinds of players can make a lot more money outside the AHL. Corso, Biron, Manlow, Baines... and really, it's getting to the point where guys like Locke, Milroy, Cote, Degon, etc are shifting into that AHL-veteran category themselves too if an option to retain them exists... well, I don't know how much of a shift Hamilton could realistically make from the existing status quo on the veterans front.

As the Bulldogs proved last year, getting really good young players to make significant contributions can be just as likely to result in success. And there should be ample reason to expect that the Habs organization is well-placed to provide those good young players, given a glance down the prospects list as well as a glance at the increasing depth of the Montreal roster.

Old
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He's got some skill with the puck for sure but he's lacking in strength, both upper and lower. Would like to see him get a little faster. I think he should turn into a very solid AHLer, we'll see how much he improves though as he's still young and just getting started in the ahl.
Thanks man!

Old
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's just one article in the aftermath of a very disappointing season, and I'm not going to overreact to it. But it's not the kind of tone I'd want to hear from my development team if I was running the Habs. Ironically, the whole Chicago methodology has been indicted at times as part of Atlanta's lack of success. While if I'm not entirely mistaken, the Bulldogs and their young Hablings won the Calder Cup last year, not Chicago.
Personnally, I don't see this as bad news. It's still clear after reading that article that the Habs needs will always be first. Seems to me that he is saying, unless he was misinformed, that he expects most of his UFA's to leave and that Montreal will not have a lot of prospects coming in. So his message is since there will be open spots anyway, we'll fill them out with great players instead of fillers.

But I really think it's important to have a winning franchise. We keep saying how important it was for the Dogs to win the Cup for us this year. It's pretty sad to see Carle's, Valentenko's and others not go in at least 1 round of the playoffs. I know that something the Dogs have to do, is find a real #1 goalie. Danis should be gone and Desjardins should not be ready next year. So let them go after Leighton, Cassivi or Aubin, I don't care. Then, like you already mentioned, I wouldn't be against Krog or Haydar. It is going to help our young kids develop. Then you need to ask yourself, will it be at the detriment of some of our players? Will a guy like Aubin stay in Cincy because of that strategy? Or Beauregard? That remains to be seen. Of course, it has to be Habs first, and I don't see a confrontation. Might be wrong though.

Old
04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
KaTaKlIsM

I was wondering what will the dogs look like next year? with all the prospects coming, is it possible to list an unofficial roster? (QGD, Whitesnake, montreal)

Thank you very much!

Old
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post
I was wondering what will the dogs look like next year? with all the prospects coming, is it possible to list an unofficial roster? (QGD, Whitesnake, montreal)

Thank you very much!
Hard to know since at least 2 more rookies could be added.(Paccioretty and White)

Old
04-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Hard to know since at least 2 more rookies could be added.(Paccioretty and White)
And Locke, Ferland, Milroy, Danis.... etc need to sort themselves out.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post

Thank you very much!
Lots of question marks at this point.

Incoming-Maxwell, White, Wyman, Weber, +++?

Outgoing- lots and lots of questions. what vets will be back, impossible to say. I hope Baines is back. We are overloaded with RD's but Biron/Degon/Archer/Gleed aren't under contract for next year so far, and we have Carle/Weber as RD's plus Conrad Martin who is signed to an ahl contract next year, a RD but has been playing LD since we are short on LD's. Locke, Milroy, Ferland, Cote, Danis are all question marks to be back, I'd be shocked if half were in Hamilton next year. Engelhart, Corso, Manlow, Baines, all FA's, would be shocked to see most of them back next year.

That leaves, Chipchura, D'Agostini, Stewart, Valentenko, Carle, Russell, Trotter, Wyman. Chipchura could be gone to the nhl full time, could see a couple of these guys get some games with the habs, would be surprised if any of the rest were full time Habs next year.

then there's the echl'ers- Aubin, Beauregard, Desharnais, Latendresse, Desjardins, Bonneau, Gleed. Should see some move up for sure.

then there's any fa's or chl overagers we might sign, plus any unknown prospects coming over. Emelin, Pacioretty, Cepek, etc... We need LD's and a starting goalie imo.

Old
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

I don't know, maybe the article is more of a PR spin than anything, trying to reassure irate fans in the wake of a losing season, offer them some faux encouragement to renew. Because I don't know how much more they can get out of bringing in a limited number of gunslingers. The bottom line is that the AHL is, by design, a developmental league, and these days there just aren't that many Haydars or Krogs around anymore. Those kinds of players can make a lot more money outside the AHL. Corso, Biron, Manlow, Baines... and really, it's getting to the point where guys like Locke, Milroy, Cote, Degon, etc are shifting into that AHL-veteran category themselves too if an option to retain them exists... well, I don't know how much of a shift Hamilton could realistically make from the existing status quo on the veterans front.

As the Bulldogs proved last year, getting really good young players to make significant contributions can be just as likely to result in success. And there should be ample reason to expect that the Habs organization is well-placed to provide those good young players, given a glance down the prospects list as well as a glance at the increasing depth of the Montreal roster.

Not trying to be mean here but this clearly comes from someone whom, I guessing here, has spent very little money to watch the Dogs play.

I like what Andlauer has in mind but I'm not sure Montreal will let him do it. I also understand that you don't want to go as far as a Chicago set-up, development is always, and should be a major issue, but team success should be too.

I, like a lot of people here (in Hamilton), are going to take a wait and see position. This coming winter I won't be investing another 2 grand into watching a team that success doesn't seem to be a major, if any, concern of the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Not trying to be mean here but this clearly comes from someone whom, I guessing here, has spent very little money to watch the Dogs play.

I like what Andlauer has in mind but I'm not sure Montreal will let him do it. I also understand that you don't want to go as far as a Chicago set-up, development is always, and should be a major issue, but team success should be too.

I, like a lot of people here (in Hamilton), are going to take a wait and see position. This coming winter I won't be investing another 2 grand into watching a team that success doesn't seem to be a major, if any, concern of the Montreal Canadiens.
My main focus will always be the Habs but I still consider myself a huge dogs fan as long as the Habs are in steeltown. I spend the 160 bucks for a season pass through b2 each year and i've been to 5 different rinks to watch hamilton at times driving 9 hours one way to see them so my point is I am a fan want to see them do well but I also understand the main goal is to develop the players and that should be the main goal unless the ahl would rather try it's luck on it's own, if not for the nhl imo the ahl would be hard pressed to make it on their own, especially with the crappy reffing that i've seen over the last 10 years or so.

The Habs have been in Hamilton for 6 years, since then they have 1 cup, 2 cup appearences, and this is the 2nd time they have missed the playoffs (though if not for the stupid cross over rule they would have been in the playoffs this year) So 2 cup runs in 6 years sounds good to me and I don't believe for a second that Gainey doesn't want the Dogs to win or doesn't care about the team. I think his first thought is about development and clearly Hamilton is doing the job well, since 19 drafted players from '01-'05 drafts have played at least one game.

It appears that the Hamilton is stuck with the Habs for the remainder of the 5 year deal unless something crazy happens. If the Habs continue to draft well, then they will continue to stock Hamiton with good players. This year imo was more unusal as the Habs never seem to have a 20 year old rookie play a full season, let alone having 3 20 year olds (price/skosty/lats) things would have been very different had huet not been traded, had price not progressed as well as he has, S.Kostitsyn done so well so fast. Next year I don't think we'll see so many players moving up to the nhl unless injuries hit hard, plus it turned into a poor year for incoming rookies, since 2 of them spent most of the year with the Habs, leaving just Valentenko/Carle and Trotter getting some time in.

Frankly I'd be surprised if the Habs let Andlauer bring in any players unless they approved of it as they need to get ice time to the incoming rookies and 2nd year players. This team will need some vets though, so perhaps they will go shopping this summer, if they do I hope Andlauer picks better players then Manlow and Baines, although I like the way Baines plays. On the ahl board I read something about Krog saying this would be his last year in the ahl, so you have to wonder what big name players they will be able to get this summer. I just want a good goalie to replace Danis as he struggled with his consistency badly, but would like to see a better D core. Maybe they can talk Biron into staying, and find a good vet LD since their might not be any help at LD coming unless Emelin is signed and plays for the Dogs which is a big IF at this point.

I want to see the Dogs win and develop good nhlers for the Habs, but if i was just a hamilton fan, then i would need to come to terms with the fact that the habs are here for a couple more years and their main goal will and should be to develop first, win 2nd since that is the design of the league they are in. I would have to think long and hard about getting season tickets if I was just a dogs fan but it's not just the ahl, as the echl, ncaa, chl, euro leagues, they all suffer loss of players to the nhl and as someone that follows all these leagues (as long as they have Hab prospects playing there) I can say in talking with fans from different teams/leagues, they aren't too happy with the nhl taking their players.

Old
04-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Beakermania*

Montreal is dead on with this one again....

A calder cup... A game 7 for the Cup.... 2 good runs in 6 years.... Hamilton fans should be happy with the success this team has had.

Yes this year was disappointing, but to say that Habs Management doesn't want to win is wrong.... It is clearly a goal (the number 2 goal yes, but its important). It ties in to the player development too... Playing AHL playoff games can help the young kids on their way... We've seen what its done for guys like Price.

Old
04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
zurg999

On a somewhat related note, we were standing outside the Bell Centre yesterday at game time, with the helpless notion that we could pick up nosebleeds from a scalper. This after driving up from Boston after Tuesday's game.

A minute or two after 7PM, Michael Andlauer walked by with his son, who was wearing a Dogs jersey. I called out to him by name and he stopped and stepped back and I introduced myself as a Dogs season ticket holder. He seemed impressed when I described our fanatical little road trip but it was obvious he was late and needed to go, otherwise I'd have asked him a little about the Dogs/Habs situation.

Old
04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Fergy22

Bulldogs on TV right now

If no one has mentioned this yet, the Bulldogs at Lake Erie playoff game is on right now on the NHL channel from the Center Ice package. That's channel 215 (at least for us in the states) It's 1 - 1 right now after the first.

Beaker Edit.... Its not a playoff game.... Its a Replay of a late season game.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old
04-18-2008, 06:49 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The dogs made the playoffs? Why was everyone called up then, who is in nets?

Old
04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

The Dogs and Cleveland in the playoffs???? It's a miracle!!!!

Old
04-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Rapmaster

They're in the playoff?

Old
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
7th Player

I dont think that this is accurate, there is no game for the bulldogs on theahl.com

Old
04-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Avim86

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/inde...isplay&nid=799

List of players currently playing in NHL Playoffs that have played for the Dogs.

And no they are NOT in the playoffs , that is probably a rerun.

Old
04-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Beakermania*

locked.... the dogs didn't make the playoffs... what are you crazy??

Unlocked
Thief50 tells me its a late regular season game against Lake Erie...

It however is NOT a playoff game as the OP suggested.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-18-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old
04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
RE-HABS

I was confusd when I saw that on the NHL Network as well, especially since the Maple Leaf Network is showing their only playoff games of the year...the Marlies!

Closed Thread