HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Probably got the sides wrong, but this is an impressive defense core and lineup.

Locke-Corso-Milroy
?-Grabovski-D'Agostini
Manlow-Chipchura-Ferland
Stewart-Baines-Engelhardt

Biron-O'Byrne
Valentenko-Degon
Carle-Cote/Martin/Archer

Can we say back to back champions possibility?
? = Trotter, i think.

Old
02-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Probably got the sides wrong, but this is an impressive defense core and lineup.

Locke-Corso-Milroy
?-Grabovski-D'Agostini
Manlow-Chipchura-Ferland

Biron-O'Byrne
Valentenko-Degon
Carle-Cote/Martin/Archer

I suspect the big club will make a trade or two over the next 18 days that could impact the Bulldogs roster.

Old
02-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Bacchus1

Who knows what will happen next, but it seems that the trade and signing are related. They got Trotter on a pro contract, so they had to get rid of another pro contract, and Lemieux was the expandable guy. They made a good trade to get some much needed size and veteran presence.

There may be another trade, but who knows. All that is certain is that Gainey's wheeling and dealing has ostensibly made the Dogs more competitive.

Old
02-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

When I got home from the game the local CH news had a really good replay of the Roche on Grabovski hit. Roche leaves his feet (not by much though) and goes after Grabovski's head. If Dave Andrews is a serious about head injuries as he claims I suspect we might see Travis Roche suspended today, and it would be soon, the Rampage play Rochester at 2:05 this afternoon.

Old
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
Who knows what will happen next, but it seems that the trade and signing are related. They got Trotter on a pro contract, so they had to get rid of another pro contract, and Lemieux was the expandable guy. They made a good trade to get some much needed size and veteran presence.

There may be another trade, but who knows. All that is certain is that Gainey's wheeling and dealing has ostensibly made the Dogs more competitive.
That's not really the case. If the Habs had too many pro contracts, the Trotter signing wouldn't have been approved by the league offices.

The actual case is that Detroit's AHL affiliate had too many veteran players with the signing of Darren McCarty, and had to get rid of a veteran player (Englehardt) for a younger player (Lemieux).

I'm sure it helped that the Dogs had just acquired another center in Trotter, so they could use to trade for another winger.

Old
02-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:

Locke-Corso-Milroy
?-Grabovski-D'Agostini
Manlow-Chipchura-Ferland

Biron-O'Byrne
Valentenko-Degon
Carle-Cote/Martin/Archer

Something along those lines would work in the playoffs but during the regular season, teams are only allowed 17 skaters (changes to 18 for the playoffs).

As for the lines (as of last night), you got most of it spot on, but there are a couple of little changes:

Locke-Corso-Milroy
Lahti-Grabovski-D'Agostini (although I'm sure I saw Stewart take some shifts on the left)
Baines-Chipchura-Ferland
Stewart-Manlow

As for the D, I don't know if Lever will go with Biron/O'Byrne on the same line. I think he has on occasion used them together in the past, but IIRC I think O'B was with Cote at the start of the season. Shame Bouchard is gone, he'd look great with Ryan. Be interesting to see what Lever does with the D. I expect the Tank/Degon pairing to remain though as they are pretty steady now. Hopefully Martin stays with the team. Partly for his own good, but also because it would likely mean O'B is going back to Montreal soon. If O'B is there for the long haul, Martin might get sent back down - pending further injuries (although with Biron and Archer around, he could just be kept around as a safety net).

Old
02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's not really the case. If the Habs had too many pro contracts, the Trotter signing wouldn't have been approved by the league offices.

The actual case is that Detroit's AHL affiliate had too many veteran players with the signing of Darren McCarty, and had to get rid of a veteran player (Englehardt) for a younger player (Lemieux).

I'm sure it helped that the Dogs had just acquired another center in Trotter, so they could use to trade for another winger.
Sure, but that is assuming that they were already at the limit. I think that they were below the limit (obviously, as you pointed out, they can't go over), and they want to stay under the limit in case they do need the flexibility for a trade or waiver or something of that nature. So, they still had to make room asap.

Anyway, who cares ... glad they got such a talented player ... lets see how he plays.

Old
02-09-2008, 01:53 PM
TheCinBin

Send a message via AIM to TheCinBin
Cyclones win on Montreal Canadians Night

It was the second time they've done the Montreal night ... the jerseys this year were much better than last year's. They were the Habs maroon color, with a blue stripe across the middle and the Cyclones logo with a blue tint to it.

The Cyclones tied a club record last night with their 8th straight victory in front of a crowd of 3112 at US Bank Arena. It came in the form of the shoot-out against a divisional team they had not seen for a while, the Trenton Devils.

Scoring for Cincinnati was provided by Travis Fuller (12th), Matt Syrocyzynzki (17th), and Cory Urquhart (10th). The game ended 3-3 after regulation and overtime, and Dov Grumet-Morris stopped all 5 Devils shooters in the SO while Jason Deitsch added went top shelf for the lone goal in the SO as the Cyclones now hold a 5-point first place lead in the Northern Division.

Tonight they host the Mississippi Sea Wolves for only the second time all year (they won the last contest by a score of 8-3). First 1,500 fans in the building will receiver a Twister (the mascot) bobblehead!

Old
02-09-2008, 02:02 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Games on The Score in an hour.

Old
02-09-2008, 02:05 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCinBin View Post

It was the second time they've done the Montreal night ... the jerseys this year were much better than last year's. They were the Habs maroon color, with a blue stripe across the middle and the Cyclones logo with a blue tint to it.
Please tell me you have photos, never found photos from last year...

Habs Prospects website
Old
02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Cincy sure does have a great tandem in nets. Let's hope for your team that they are not recalled at some point.

If the playoffs would begin today, would you prefer Grumet-Morris or Desjardins in goal?

Old
02-09-2008, 02:40 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
When I got home from the game the local CH news had a really good replay of the Roche on Grabovski hit. Roche leaves his feet (not by much though) and goes after Grabovski's head. If Dave Andrews is a serious about head injuries as he claims I suspect we might see Travis Roche suspended today, and it would be soon, the Rampage play Rochester at 2:05 this afternoon.
He should be suspended and the league should be asking the refs why just a 2 minute penalty. Plus the crap at the end of the game where they were going after Stewart and others trying to get them to fight.

But good win for the Dogs, and glad to see Danis come up big with the win despite the fact he might not remember what it's like to start a game. I believe that's 3 wins in a row for Danis.

Loved that O'Byrne hit, can't wait to see more of that. Also the D'Agostini goal was nice and very fitting since the D-bag Roche looked like a tool on the play.

Tough game today, Halak will need to come up big.

Old
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
zurg999

Quote:
It was a classic head shot with intent to injure that (fortunately) didn't have the desired result.

Lets see if Andrews borrows a page from the NHL philosophy and bases the punishment on the end result, rather than the intent.

Old
02-09-2008, 03:26 PM
TheCinBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Cincy sure does have a great tandem in nets. Let's hope for your team that they are not recalled at some point.

If the playoffs would begin today, would you prefer Grumet-Morris or Desjardins in goal?
Desjardins. Still an all-around better goaltender from my point of view. Morris got a lot of his wins after being bailed out the first half of the year. We were averaging 5 goals a game every night and outshooting the opponents something like 35-15 consistently. He, for whatever reasons, plays better when there is more pressure on him where as he struggles when he doesn't face many shots. Still has issues stopping the long shot as well.

thief50 - I didn't take any myself, but give me a little bit and I'll have one.

Old
02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 1st - Dogs down 0-1

Decent period by the Dogs, they just get beat with a very nice short. The game is being played at quite a tempo and it's taking away the chance for guys to work passing plays to good effect. The best passing play of the period for the Dogs came from Grabovski and D'Agostini, two of the faster players.

O'Byrne had an early chance to move the puck and did a nice job of it. When he got the puck and headed behind his net, he kept his feet moving and looked like he was trying to make something happen. When he slows down behind the net as if to wait and see what happens, that is when he gets himself and his team into all sorts of trouble. But a very encouraging play from him, I hope he continues to make those.

Engelhardt had a great chance to score early on. The Marlies all got caught on the near side and Brett had loads of room in the middle of the ice when the puck bounced out to him. He walked in and fired a wrist shot high glove side, but Clemmensen caught it. Clemmensen had to be even better to stop a Manlow chance later in the period. Eric took a pass from the far corner while in front of the net. He put the puck on goal and Clemmensen was able to get something behind it, although couldn't cover it up as he was moving across the crease. Manlow went for it again, only inches from the goal line but somehow Clemmensen managed to get behind it and cover it. Very good save.

Halak got beaten as the Marlies gained the zone and made a pass to the right wing. Williams walked in, faked a shot and pulled the puck back and around Cote and then shot it through him to the short side top corner. Nice play. Otherwise, Halak has been decent. Moving the puck well, good down low and made a couple of good saves.

Not seen much of Engelhardt yet so won't comment on his play in general.

2nd period coming up, the Dogs are very much in it, they just need to find a way to beat Clemmensen...

Old
02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 2nd - Dogs down 2-0

This one looks like it's getting away from the Dogs a little bit. Too many penalties, not enough chances of their own. The Dogs had an early PK after an O'Byrne penalty. Halak made a nice save and Biron plastered someone along the boards with his hip.

When the Dogs did get a PP of their own, they didn't do a great amount with it. They couldn't get set up and frsutration started to set in. Degon tried rushing the puck up the ice, but gave it away inside the Marlies blueline and got caught there. The Marlies broke out the other way while shorthanded and set up a two on one. Valentenko was the only guy back and did he ever play the situation perfectly. He was a little close to the puck carrier to start with, but when he saw the open man on the far side, he backed off. He kept a perfect position and when the guy on the near side tried to make a pass, Tank put his stick flat on the ice and redirected the puck to safety. Fantastic play by the kid. Shortly after the PP ended, the Dogs had the puck in the zone on the near side. Grabs had it while moving towards the point but was under pressure from two Marlies. He made a great cross ice pass while it looked like he dropped to his knee. It landed on the stick of Cote who fired a shot but couldn't convert. Not long after, Carle had a one timer from just above the top of the circles but it was met by a nice kick save.

Chipchura took a number of hits in the period, some accidental, some hard along the boards and a number in a fight with Harrison. Chipchura took a bit of a beating early on, but found his form and got back into it. Even when the top of his jersey was pulled over his head, he still landed a couple of good punches.

The goal of this period came on a 5 on 3. Engelhardt was off for tripping when Cote got tripped. No call on that but Cote held the stick of the guy who tripped him and got called instead. On the goal, the Marlies rushed up the right wing and took a shot which Halak got a piece of. The puck rolled behind him and someone crashing the net managed to direct it home while in the crease behind Halak. Jaro has been decent though tonight and made a quality glove save with 30 seconds of the period left.

3rd period coming up...

Old
02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the game - Marlies win 3-0

Dogs give up a goal a period, but at least looked a bit more involved than in the 2nd to end the game. The Grabovski/D'Agostini got thigns off to a good start. Grabs stole the puck in the Dogs zone and it was moved up the right wing to D'Ago. He faked a shot as used his speed around the outside to get to the net. He couldn't slide the puck under Clemmensen though. Not long after, Grabs managed to draw a call too.

On the following PP, Locke and Biron appeared to be playing the points. Locke drifted to the near boards and found himself under pressure, but instead of dumping the puck down low, he tried passing to Biron who was under pressure himself. Biron misplayed the puck and that created a clear breakaway. The Marlie forward tried putting a couple of moves on Halak, but he was having none of it. He made a toe save to kick the puck off the blade of the forward's stick and on the follow up attempt, the puck either hit the post or Halak's stick. Great play from Jaro. Dogs best chance of the PP came from a Degon blast. The puck rebounded to Milroy out front but he couldn't put it home.

Engelhardt finally showed something decent. He used some quick skating to backcheck well and managed to block a shot. More of that will be most welcome from him. The D'Ago/Grabs combo continued creating things for the Dogs but they couldn't finish. And then the Marlies clinched it on a PP after Tank got called for a trip.

Halak made the initial save and tried diving to poke the puck away, but it was just out of reach. A Marlie dived for it and chipped the puck into the air, off the bar and when it bounced down, it hit Halak and went in.

The Dogs had one last good chance on the PK. Carle burst up the right wing and made a spin pass to Milroy on a 2 on 1. Milroy tried firing a backhanded past Clemmensen but was stopped.

And the game ended. Not good from the Dogs but they were beaten by a better team and it showed. Hopefully the boys regroup quickly and get back to winning ways again soon.

Old
02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He should be suspended and the league should be asking the refs why just a 2 minute penalty. Plus the crap at the end of the game where they were going after Stewart and others trying to get them to fight.

But good win for the Dogs, and glad to see Danis come up big with the win despite the fact he might not remember what it's like to start a game. I believe that's 3 wins in a row for Danis.

Loved that O'Byrne hit, can't wait to see more of that. Also the D'Agostini goal was nice and very fitting since the D-bag Roche looked like a tool on the play.

Tough game today, Halak will need to come up big.

Roche was in the line-up against Rochester so I guess nothing will be happening. I really think that referree Jeff Smith didn't have a great view, he was on the far boards and I'm guessing his view may have been blocked as he is by far and away one of the best refs this league has (yes I realize that isn't saying much ).

Although this game did get a little stupid at the end I firmly believe that a ref like Dave Banfield, or Chris Ciamaga would have totally lost control and a lot more crap would have happened.
When you see enough games you start to see a pattern with the scrums and late stuff. Refs, like Ciamaga and Banfield are totally useless and the players have little respect for them and play as such. A veteran ref like Smith is usually very consistant and the players know this and in turn have a lot more respect for him.

A great example of Jeff Smith reffing consistance came during one scrum. Jeff is known for making the players know he is looking for one man during a slow starting scrum. Jeff is also very consistant with this so usually a get together doesn't escalate because no-one wants to be that one guy.
Well last night one of the Rampage players stick a Bulldogs player in one of these such scrums. The Bulldogs player reacted with a gloved punch to the face. Smith, true to his word, took only the Rampage player to the box.

When Smith tells the guys he's only looking for one man he is really telling the guys, be the first to do something and two bad things will happen. One, you will be the only man going to the box and number two the guy you just hit is going to get a free retaliation shot.

Bottom line is Smith is one of the leagues best, if not the best, ref so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't have a good look at live speed. I am suprised that nothing was done by the league office because when you get to sit down and see the replays it becomes very obvious that it was nothing but an attempt to injure.

Old
02-09-2008, 11:10 PM
TheCinBin

The Cyclones extend their club record setting win streak to 9 games with a victory over the Mississippi Sea Wolves tonight by a final score of 4-1, in front of a crowd of 5871 at US Bank Arena.

Scoring for Cincinnati was provided by James Sixsmith, Cory Urquhart, and Jason Deitsch with a pair in the third period. Cedrick Dejardins picked up the victory, turning aside 25 of 26 shots by the Sea Wolves. The Clones now hold a 7-point first place streak in the Northern Division.

Another great game (and great crowd) as pick up 4 of 4 points on the weekend.

Old
02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
The Cyclones extend their club record setting win streak to 9 games with a victory over the Mississippi Sea Wolves tonight by a final score of 4-1, in front of a crowd of 5871 at US Bank Arena.

Scoring for Cincinnati was provided by James Sixsmith, Cory Urquhart, and Jason Deitsch with a pair in the third period. Cedrick Dejardins picked up the victory, turning aside 25 of 26 shots by the Sea Wolves. The Clones now hold a 7-point first place streak in the Northern Division.

Another great game (and great crowd) as pick up 4 of 4 points on the weekend.
Just a question...any idea what happened to an ex-prospect of ours, Alex Dulac-Lemelin? First, we thought he had dissapeared, then reappeared in a couple of games but then doesn't seem to play anymore....

And is this me, or Cincinnati doesn't bother informing fans who their new players in the lineup are anymore? Everytime I look, I seem to find new names that I've never seen before, so I check real fast in the Cincy site to see who they are, but I don't find anything....

Thanks.

Old
02-10-2008, 12:09 AM
sonnytheman

Quote:
Roche was in the line-up against Rochester so I guess nothing will be happening. I really think that referree Jeff Smith didn't have a great view, he was on the far boards and I'm guessing his view may have been blocked as he is by far and away one of the best refs this league has (yes I realize that isn't saying much ).

Although this game did get a little stupid at the end I firmly believe that a ref like Dave Banfield, or Chris Ciamaga would have totally lost control and a lot more crap would have happened.
When you see enough games you start to see a pattern with the scrums and late stuff. Refs, like Ciamaga and Banfield are totally useless and the players have little respect for them and play as such. A veteran ref like Smith is usually very consistant and the players know this and in turn have a lot more respect for him.

A great example of Jeff Smith reffing consistance came during one scrum. Jeff is known for making the players know he is looking for one man during a slow starting scrum. Jeff is also very consistant with this so usually a get together doesn't escalate because no-one wants to be that one guy.
Well last night one of the Rampage players stick a Bulldogs player in one of these such scrums. The Bulldogs player reacted with a gloved punch to the face. Smith, true to his word, took only the Rampage player to the box.

When Smith tells the guys he's only looking for one man he is really telling the guys, be the first to do something and two bad things will happen. One, you will be the only man going to the box and number two the guy you just hit is going to get a free retaliation shot.

Bottom line is Smith is one of the leagues best, if not the best, ref so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't have a good look at live speed. I am suprised that nothing was done by the league office because when you get to sit down and see the replays it becomes very obvious that it was nothing but an attempt to injure.
wow, i think that one-guy from the scrum thing is awesome, they should teach that in the nhl

Old
02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Just a question...any idea what happened to an ex-prospect of ours, Alex Dulac-Lemelin? First, we thought he had dissapeared, then reappeared in a couple of games but then doesn't seem to play anymore....
Are you talking about before last year when he signed with the Dogs but never played in AHL/ECHL?

Old
02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
TheCinBin

Quote:

And is this me, or Cincinnati doesn't bother informing fans who their new players in the lineup are anymore? Everytime I look, I seem to find new names that I've never seen before, so I check real fast in the Cincy site to see who they are, but I don't find anything....

Thanks.
No idea what's going on with Dulac-Lemelin. When we signed him, I heard he played juniors with fellow teammates and Habs prospect Thomas Beauregard and according to him and a couple others he would be a good fit on the team (we literally had to sign a whole new cast of ECHL journeyman defensemen due to call ups). He played in two games with us and hasn't dressed or been seen in the two after. Like I said, no idea.

And yeah, our website sucks. You're best bet is to look on the ECHL.com on the daily transaction pages to see who was signed, called up, put on waivers, ect. For whatever reason the site has not been their top priority, so the fans have learned better than to go there for info. It's good for game recaps and the schedule, that's about it.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Congrats to Cincy on their continued success, great season they are having. Would be funny if they end up meeting Texas in the playoffs to win the conference and go to the Kelly Cup, as Texas is coached by their former ECHL team in Long Beach, Malcom Cameron.

As for the Dogs, lots of games coming up for them, they play 10 games in 16 days to finish out the month, damn that's a lot of games in a short time.

Gleed was sent back to Cincy today. Wonder if Aubin will follow as they have some healthy forwards now too with Trotter and Russell sitting in the stands. hopefully Trotter gets in on wed, 2 more games coming up against the marlies, tough games, don't want to fall too far behind the moose for 2nd place.

Old
02-12-2008, 06:59 AM

Could someone tell me how Desharnais and Beauregard doing in the ECHL. I mean from the stats they got looks like an amazing first year but why Hamilton keep on bringing new center in Hamilton (Corso and Trotter) if Desharnais is rocking?

Is he too small for the AHL? Does he have any upside?

As for Lathi, what's the report on him now?

Closed Thread