HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Lounge Part 7: All OT Talk In Here

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
I'm not a big fan of Buca. I don't like sharing food. I want my dish to be my dish.

I typically don't get food before games in the Arena District. If I'm hungry, I'll eat close to home first. I like a few of the restaurants there (Ted's is probably tops for me), but prefer them on non-game nights when they're not as hectic.

Now drinking in the AD before games ... that, I do - sometimes when I'm not even going to the game.

Old
01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I've been to Buca all of twice. The first time, it was claustrophobic and loud and unpleasant, and I swore off coming. I only went the second time 'cause it was my sister's birthday, and she wanted to so badly. It was ten million times better that second time.

I also approve of the dish sharing, because it was in this way that I discovered Chicken Marsala.

Buca di Beppo gets the Viqsi Seal Of Approval(tm).

Old
01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I'm not a big fan of Buca. I don't like sharing food. I want my dish to be my dish.

I typically don't get food before games in the Arena District. If I'm hungry, I'll eat close to home first. I like a few of the restaurants there (Ted's is probably tops for me), but prefer them on non-game nights when they're not as hectic.

Now drinking in the AD before games ... that, I do - sometimes when I'm not even going to the game.
If I didn't have to drive at least 45 minutes (traffic considered) from the AD to my fiancee's place, I'd drink there, too.

Old
01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waco Kid View Post
The food at Buca near the arena is always good, but the last couple of times the wife and I have been there the service has not been up to snuff. In fact, when we were there on Tuesday evening it was so bad that the manager took care of our tab. I'm normally pretty lenient about the level of service on game nights due to how busy the place is on those nights, but when customers who were seated a half-hour after us had eaten and left fifteen minutes before we were given our bill, I felt compelled to tell a manager about it. When you arrive at 5:30 for dinner, you should reasonably expect to be out in time to see the puck drop, which didn't happen that night.
At least management took care of the tab. I've been to some restaurants that didn't even want to do that.

I asked my fiancee about the service, and she raves about it, and it wasn't bad the last time we went. And my fiancee is one of those who can be nit-picky if the service is bad.

Old
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
At least management took care of the tab. I've been to some restaurants that didn't even want to do that.

I asked my fiancee about the service, and she raves about it, and it wasn't bad the last time we went. And my fiancee is one of those who can be nit-picky if the service is bad.
Anyone ever go to Bravo? I like it much more than Bucca.

Old
01-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Where is it located and what's it like?

Old
01-31-2008, 05:39 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
I agree (Brio, too -- basically the same place). The food at Buca is plentiful, but really bland, IMHO. I've been happy with everything I've tried at Bravo/Brio.

Old
01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Where is it located and what's it like?
There are several around town. Off the top of my head, Crosswoods (270 & 23 North), Bethel just W of Sawmill, Polaris, Easton. Here's their web site:

Brio: http://www.brioitalian.com/
Bravo: http://www.bravoitalian.com/

I think they position Brio to be a little upscale of Bravo, but you'll find several of the same menu items at both places, and the quality is the same. I've had a variety of dishes from pasta dishes (Shrimp Fra Diavolo is my favorite, but Penne Mediterranean is good, too) to steaks (my wife got a steak last Sunday, and it was great). Salads and deserts are good, too.

Old
01-31-2008, 08:18 PM
BZArcher

Aside from Rbar, I'll go to Buca or Gordon Biersch if people want to meet there, but I really like going to Barley's Smokehouse down on 33 either before or after. Food's still good, beer's very good, and sometimes it's nice to get away from the arena crowd for a bit, especially if you hit the Smokehouse during a quieter part of the night. Some sauerkraut balls, a raspberry wheat ale, and taking over the game with the guys I go with is a pretty nice way to wind down my night.

I also like Mac's in the Short North, or if it's a weekend game, hitting the North Market in the afternoon and then going down to the arena. Not much of a walk.

Old
01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Bravo (and Brio) have excellent food and is my choice for Italian around this town.

Old
01-31-2008, 08:38 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
why do i feel that while watching the Clinton-Obama debate on CNN all Clinton does is yell/talk down to people....its not literally yelling but i feel like shes just angry at whoever asked her the question

Old
01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Another good spot not far from downtown is the Grandview Cafe - good food (including, for you Canadians, poutine!), lots of TVs, nice bar, and it's run by a big CBJ fan - Billy C.

Old
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
So when you guys go to a Jackets game, where do you enjoy the pregame meal (if you do that)?

My fiancee is absolutely in love with Buca Di Beppo, plus the location is great, since it's a hop, skip and a jump away from walking into the arena.
Red Star had good food before they closed. That's where the Boston Pizza is going in. I'm also a big fan of BD's Mongolian BBQ.

Old
02-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Anyone enjoying the weather this morning? What about the school closings and delays?

Pretty much every school in Muskingum County is closed today.

Old
02-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Saturday we are going to the Japenese Steak House for dinner before the game. We go there once a season because it is a bit pricey.

This is one of the restaurants where the chef cooks your food right at the table, and puts on a cool show while doing it. Not to mention the food is awesome.

If you are coming to a game from out-of-town, and want a cool dining experience, I highly reccomend it.

It is on north High street, north of Vine street. An easy walk to the arena when you are done.

Make reservations, though.

Old
02-01-2008, 07:13 AM
puckgoalnet

If the wife and I are eating near the arena before a game, it's usually at Martini's (their valet is also the cheapest game night parking) or Tyfoon. Both are walking distance to the arena and have excellent food.

Occasionally we've done Haiku or Rosendales (one of Columbus' best) in the Short North.

After the game we usually head to the Hyde Park off of Henderson Road. We sit up at the bar and listen to the terrific little Jazz trio that plays there nearly every night. If you're hungry you can still get them to cook you a steak until about 11p.

Old
02-01-2008, 08:07 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet View Post
If the wife and I are eating near the arena before a game, it's usually at Martini's (their valet is also the cheapest game night parking) or Tyfoon. Both are walking distance to the arena and have excellent food.

Occasionally we've done Haiku or Rosendales (one of Columbus' best) in the Short North.

After the game we usually head to the Hyde Park off of Henderson Road. We sit up at the bar and listen to the terrific little Jazz trio that plays there nearly every night. If you're hungry you can still get them to cook you a steak until about 11p.
I also like Martini's. For that matter, I like martinis, too.

Marcella's is just south of Martini's on High, and I've had some great food there, too (same owner as Martini's).

Old
02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post

Marcella's is just south of Martini's on High, and I've had some great food there, too (same owner as Martini's).

North, not South, Flyer. I agree with you that it is pretty good and very "New York" style - open kitchen, noisy, bustling, etc. That's kind of Cameron Mitchell's signature.

Old
02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
xanbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Saturday we are going to the Japenese Steak House for dinner before the game.
Probably my favorite restaurant in Columbus, or maybe the Columbus Fish Market. Two places I wish I could afford to go to more often.

I'll throw the Elevator in the mix as another great place to get a bite and some brews.

Old
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post

Is Marcella's the place that advertises valet service with a sign on the sidewalk? Just trying to get a mental image of where it's located.

Last edited by Moo: 02-01-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old
02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Has anyone been to the Kobe Japanese Steakhouse place in Easton yet?

Old
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is Marcella's the place that advertises valet service with a sign on the sidewalk? Just trying to get a mental image of where it's located.

Yes, it has valet parking and is on the west side of High. I think it's in the first block north of the cap, but I could be mistaken.

Old
02-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Yes, it has valet parking and is on the west side of High. I think it's in the first block north of the cap, but I could be mistaken.
I'm not good with street names as I am directions. I know I come off 670 near the Convention Center and go down High, and then turn left at the first light. I pass that valet/restaurant place, and then at the next major intersection, I turn right and I'm at NA.

Old
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I'm partial to a Wendy's double cheese on my way

to the game, lets me drink 1 or 2 beers at the game and still have change in my pocket... Course if I was smarter, I'd go see Mike at the RBar.. like I've been threatening to for the last cupla years.

Usually have one or two of my kids in tow, and they aren't quite of age to be Rbar patrons yet.

Morretti's on Sawmill is fantastic Italian for the person craving the chicken marsala.. fetticini, or veal parm...their Grandview location used to rock.. tableside on the sidewalk watching life go by.

Anthony & Tony Sousy's place in Canal Winchester (the Wedding place?) has some kick ass chicken marsala also.

I've never been to Ted's Montana Grill - anybody have suggestions on the best choice? I love good food - but the wife and I typically go to Hyde Parke when we have a night out.

Old
02-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I saw this on G4's Attack of the Show tonight. I had to share it with you guys.

Closed Thread