HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you want Steve Downie on the Habs?

Old
01-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Canad93

vCash: 500
Downie may be a really big a-hole but he does have potential...

he is definatly an asset, but he's so unprofessional it kills me to watch him.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Come on...this kid has played all of a dozen NHL games and someone is comparing him to Chris Chelios? Chelios has 1600 NHL games and 3 Norris Trophies not to mention multiple Cups. WOW, pretty ridiculous comparison if you ask me.
Granted the comparison to Chelios is ridiculous in terms of his accomplishments in the NHL, but I think whoever made the comparison meant more in terms of the type of game he playes (on edge) and not necessarily the talent level. That said, most people who don't know much about Downie, other than what makes the headlines, significantly underrate his talent level. Not saying he's as good a forward as Chelios is/was on D, but he's not the "talentless goon" that some people make him out to be.

In the NHL I'd say he could put up a point per game in his prime (he's almost doing that now, at 20 yrs old)...add in all the intagibles (desire, grit, tenacity, antagonizing/pestering, leadership, fighting, hitting etc.) and he's sort of a special player. I think if you ask most Coaches/GMs he's definitely that guy you hate to play against but would love to have on your roster.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Richybaby

Anytime !!!

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:16 PM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
Downie may be a really big a-hole but he does have potential...

he is definatly an asset, but he's so unprofessional it kills me to watch him.
I dunno...I mean, since he returned from suspension and started playing in the NHL I haven't really noticed anything unprofessional. Can you enlighten me?

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlund View Post
That said, most people who don't know much about Downie, other than what makes the headlines, significantly underrate his talent level. Not saying he's as good a forward as Chelios is/was on D, but he's not the "talentless goon" that some people make him out to be.
I watched Downie play as a Junior. Not once will I say he is talentless. However, if there is anyone on the edge of getting criminal charges laid against him for what they do on the ice, its him. People keep trying to say hes unstable, don't believe it. He's a jackoff human being. There is a difference. He's your typical "I only care about me" jock who has always had someone back him up on his stupid BS... kinda like Bobby Clarke. No-one will deny that Clarke had a ton of talent, but Clarke couldn't put his balls on the line if it wasn't for a thousand thugs to do his dirty work. One cheapshot artist to another.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
I would, he's like Claude Lemieux.
Can't compare him to Claude Lemieux until he preforms in the playoffs...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlund View Post
Granted the comparison to Chelios is ridiculous in terms of his accomplishments in the NHL, but I think whoever made the comparison meant more in terms of the type of game he playes (on edge) and not necessarily the talent level. That said, most people who don't know much about Downie, other than what makes the headlines, significantly underrate his talent level. Not saying he's as good a forward as Chelios is/was on D, but he's not the "talentless goon" that some people make him out to be.

In the NHL I'd say he could put up a point per game in his prime (he's almost doing that now, at 20 yrs old)...add in all the intagibles (desire, grit, tenacity, antagonizing/pestering, leadership, fighting, hitting etc.) and he's sort of a special player. I think if you ask most Coaches/GMs he's definitely that guy you hate to play against but would love to have on your roster.
I don't know Steve Downie personally. I did however know Brian Fogarty. When Brian played in the juniors he was absolutely amazing. He shattered Bobby Orr's junior records and looked like the next great player coming into the NHL. Unfortunately poor decisions on and off the ice turned him into a 6th/7th defenceman and eventually led to his untimely death.

I certainly do not wish this on Steve but if he continues to make these types of poor decisions I do not believe he will have a 1st line type of NHL career. I hope he turns it around.

Drive425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I don't know Steve Downie personally. I did however know Brian Fogarty. When Brian played in the juniors he was absolutely amazing. He shattered Bobby Orr's junior records and looked like the next great player coming into the NHL. Unfortunately poor decisions on and off the ice turned him into a 6th/7th defenceman and eventually led to his untimely death.

I certainly do not wish this on Steve but if he continues to make these types of poor decisions I do not believe he will have a 1st line type of NHL career. I hope he turns it around.
Its tough to compare the bad decisions of a Fogarty with the current Downie situation.... Downie has gotten into some trouble with a questionable hit on the ice, a fight in practice with a teammate, and a late punch on Jason Blake... these are all "on ice" temper related issues. Fogarty on the other hand had a number of other "off-ice" issues like Alcohol and Drugs... I haven't heard of any of these types of issues with Downie.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Its tough to compare the bad decisions of a Fogarty with the current Downie situation.... Downie has gotten into some trouble with a questionable hit on the ice, a fight in practice with a teammate, and a late punch on Jason Blake... these are all "on ice" temper related issues. Fogarty on the other hand had a number of other "off-ice" issues like Alcohol and Drugs... I haven't heard of any of these types of issues with Downie.
Did he not also have off ice issues with a team mate where he knocked out a couple of teeth aswell.?

Old
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Did he not also have off ice issues with a team mate where he knocked out a couple of teeth aswell.?
They got into a fight at practice stemming from the windsor spitfires bus incident. I think he cross-checked Aliu in the jaw. Aliu started a fight with Downie in practice. Downie was apparently one of the guys who tried to haze Aliu by forcing him and the other rookies to strip naked on the bus and get into the bus bathroom all at the same time...

Definetely a bad move by Downie, and a poor character choice on his part, but its still not as big an issue as being addicted to alcohol and drugs IMO...

Old
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I would take him in a heartbeat.

This guy is going to win a lot of cups.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Drive425

Quote:
They got into a fight at practice stemming from the windsor spitfires bus incident. I think he cross-checked Aliu in the jaw. Aliu started a fight with Downie in practice. Downie was apparently one of the guys who tried to haze Aliu by forcing him and the other rookies to strip naked on the bus and get into the bus bathroom all at the same time...

Definetely a bad move by Downie, and a poor character choice on his part, but its still not as big an issue as being addicted to alcohol and drugs IMO...
True enough. Brian had some negative outside influences. Hope it turns out positive.

Old
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
HCH

Never... and I have to say that a lot of posters here have disappointed me with their reponses.

Downie tried to gouge an opponent's eye out the other night. Obviously he hasn't learned a thing and if a 25 game suspension won't slow him down nothing well. If teams have to resort to that kind of play to win.... then this league is in really bad shape.

I not only think that we shouldn't welcome Downie, I think the league should take a serious look at this kind of play and eliminate it from the game.

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:58 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:

There is more than this, he had 3 suspensions in his last OHL season.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
Never... and I have to say that a lot of posters here have disappointed me with their reponses.

Downie tried to gouge an opponent's eye out the other night. Obviously he hasn't learned a thing and if a 25 game suspension won't slow him down nothing well. If teams have to resort to that kind of play to win.... then this league is in really bad shape.

I not only think that we shouldn't welcome Downie, I think the league should take a serious look at this kind of play and eliminate it from the game.
Are you talking about the blake incident, cause I'm pretty sure its been proven that Downie did not stick his finger in Blake's eye... if you watch the video of it there is no way he could have done so... it was a punch, when he was tied up with the refs. Not all that dissimilar from what one of the Bruins did to Hamrlik in the 5-2 game.

Now if there is another incident you are talking about, I'd like to hear it.

Old
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
FlavorFlav

I can't believe we are even having this conversation.

This guy exemplifies everything that is wrong in hockey. Goons are fine, agitators are great, but this guy is in a league of his own. Cheap shot artists absolutely have no place. I don't believe this guy has ever even put up big numbers - his sole purpose is a distraction for the opposing team. By injuring.

And yes, he did try to gouge the eye out of Clarkson (I believe) in a fight he was losing badly against the Devils.

This guy should be ignored completely, dismissed as the talentless cheap shotting hack that he is.

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I remember deciding that I wanted the Habs to draft him in the 2nd round after I read a scouting report where a scout was quoted as saying: "He's a dirty little rat. He'll do anything to win." That looks to have been a fairly accurate assessment.

The kid can also play hockey. I think every team can use a rat, especially a talented one. It's good to have one to counter the other team's rat. Also, the other team will be too busy with him, and hopefully forget the bullseye on the back of a guy like Komisarek.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
BLONG7

Not a chance, a guy like that should never wear the CH on his jersey...he's a puke...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
he seems to be a ball of problems to me
yeah...for the opposition.

Downie's played like 12 games and he's already got 8 points and a reputation for being a BAD ASS!

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
HCH

Quote:
Are you talking about the blake incident, cause I'm pretty sure its been proven that Downie did not stick his finger in Blake's eye... if you watch the video of it there is no way he could have done so... it was a punch, when he was tied up with the refs. Not all that dissimilar from what one of the Bruins did to Hamrlik in the 5-2 game.

Now if there is another incident you are talking about, I'd like to hear it.
Downie vs. Clarkson - January 22

It's on youtube if you want to check it out. Absolutely BS

Old
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
HCH

Quote:
That's apples and oranges....

Downie deliberately tries to injure others.... I'm not sure that is the case with alcohol addiction

Old
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
That's apples and oranges....

Downie deliberately tries to injure others.... I'm not sure that is the case with alcohol addiction
That was exactly my point.... someone was comparing the problems of Steve Downie to Bryan Fogarty and I was saying that they are not the same at all...

Old
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
HCH

Quote:
That was exactly my point.... someone was comparing the problems of Steve Downie to Bryan Fogarty and I was saying that they are not the same at all...
You are right, they aren't the same at all. But who deserves a second chance... the guy trying to ruin his own career or the guy trying to end someone else's.

There is something tragic about the Fogartys, Kordics ane even the Theoren Fleury's of the world... there is nothing tragic about Downie. However, allowing his kind of behaviour is a sad commentary on how low the league and teams will stoop to sell tickets.

Old
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
les Habs

Absolutely not.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword