HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues call up Stastny

Old
01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Blues call up Stastny

www.stlouisblues.com

Not a big move, I wonder who's spot he will take.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:43 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Good. Glad to see another guy called up...At this point I don't care who is benched...the boys play of late has been pitiful to say the least.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
www.stlouisblues.com

Not a big move, I wonder who's spot he will take.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12806

Apparently Perron's. Oh yeah, and Erik Johnson isn't playing either. Great message to send. When the team is struggling hard, punish the kids and not the veterans who should be better considering their experience and fat contracts. I guess this recent losing streak is the fault of the 19 year olds for not carrying our offense and defense with their 8 or 9 minutes a night.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post

Apparently Perron's. Oh yeah, and Erik Johnson isn't playing either. Great message to send. When the team is struggling hard, punish the kids and not the veterans who should be better considering their experience and fat contracts. I guess this recent losing streak is the fault of the 19 year olds for not carrying our offense and defense with their 8 or 9 minutes a night.
EJ hasn't been playing good hockey as of late.

And god forbid if your adopted son, David Perron, is benched rather than only play 9 minutes tongiht in our current skid.

I am so glad you are not the coach....you really would throw EJ and Perron out there playing 25+ minutes of hockey every night at 19 years old.

Old
01-23-2008, 02:49 PM
StLooFrenchy

Neither EJ nor Perron have been playing up to expectations lately, for whatever reason. I don't mind this, maybe there is a showcase a goin' on?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
General Veers

I smell a trade...

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
I smell a trade...

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 05:07 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
EJ hasn't been playing good hockey as of late.

And god forbid if your adopted son, David Perron, is benched rather than only play 9 minutes tongiht in our current skid.

I am so glad you are not the coach....you really would throw EJ and Perron out there playing 25+ minutes of hockey every night at 19 years old.
If Brewer, Jackman, and Tkachuk would've been benched at any time during this season due to their very uninspired play then I could understand in sending the message to the young guys, but TIJ you have got to be kidding. Your for holding only certain players accountable. It's not like they've been awful by any means. Hell, Stempniak and McClement who I am a huge fan of aren't holding up their end ogf the bargain either. Why not bench them? If Murray can't live with the youth this season then we are in for a rough '08-09 when as many as 4 more rookies will have a regular spot. How about benching himself for having the worst PowerPlay in the entire league with more than adequate talent.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Sharks14*

Erik Johnson and Perron are being benched tonight.

Is Manny Legace starting in net?

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Why the call up of Stastny over other players? I haven't heard much about his game lately....is he playing that good? I can understand that he will be a UFA this summer, so the Blues might be trying to see what they have.

I really hope the scratching of Perron and EJ, if this does happen, is because they are trying to make a move. I really don't see why they should be scratched over some other players.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:

Apparently you are wrong as Stastny was called up because Ryan Johnson (foot) and Backes(eye) are game time decisions tonight.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:05 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
If Brewer, Jackman, and Tkachuk would've been benched at any time during this season due to their very uninspired play then I could understand in sending the message to the young guys, but TIJ you have got to be kidding. Your for holding only certain players accountable. It's not like they've been awful by any means. Hell, Stempniak and McClement who I am a huge fan of aren't holding up their end ogf the bargain either. Why not bench them? If Murray can't live with the youth this season then we are in for a rough '08-09 when as many as 4 more rookies will have a regular spot. How about benching himself for having the worst PowerPlay in the entire league with more than adequate talent.
What team have you been watching?

"More than adequate" my left foot!

Who scores from the point(NOW...so don't say EJ)?

Who gets in front of the net(Tkachuk ain't cuttin' it)?

Who finishes other than Boyes?

Anyone on the team show any signs of steping up? Nope.

It can't be 100% "the system's" fault. Even with a playbook scribbled down by a 3 year old you'd think that "more than adequate" talent might show on the boxscore every so often, eh?

C'mon....its the players' job to make the plays. AM isn't going to score a single goal this year.

Old
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post

It can't be 100% "the system's" fault. Even with a playbook scribbled down by a 3 year old you'd think that "more than adequate" talent might show on the boxscore every so often, eh?

C'mon....its the players' job to make the plays. AM isn't going to score a single goal this year.
Andy McDonald has scored on the power play this year Sorry couldn't resist, just trying to make light on a depressing subject.

But I ultimately agree that it is on the players shoulders to put up the points. If they aren't making it work then do something about it. One thing I have noticed lately watching other teams power plays is that they play one of two styles or if capable a combination of the two. Murray is correct in saying that most teams have similar setups. The difference in a good power play, imo, is either capable of 1. quick passes and/or unexpected movements or screens the goalie well with good blue line/ or high slot shooters. So, the fault I see with our PP is the decisions we make with the puck. We are either slow to move the puck...waiting to make things happen or we are not setting up screens when our sniping players have the puck. Either way we are way too predictable with the puck. As much as I hate to say this..watch Detroit's PP...they do all of these well when everyone is healthy.

Old
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Jackman will be traded and we do not want to bring his stock down by benching him just 34 days away from the trade deadline.

Brewer: Well I have wanted him benched all year...but we all know that Murray thinks Brewer can do no wrong as much as Checker thinks Perron does no wrong. (And I love Perron...though he does make his share of mistakes...but he is only 19...hence why Murray isn't playing him more).

Sure, Murray should bench himself for having JD keep Brewer (who is suppose to be our #1 D-man on the power play this year...who hasn't done SQUAT).

Murray isn't perfect in handling some of these players (and I will be the first to say it) but to throw these 19 year olds to the wolves when we are in a downward spiral...is not the smartest move.

If we haven't hit this skid as of late...I am sure the majority of you would have no problem with Perron and EJ getting benched this much.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 01-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Checker*

Quote:
This is realy frickin sad. Attention TrustInJarmo, you are on my ignore list. The only way I even see your posts is if someone else calls you out for being wrong (which happens alot) and I see it quoted. I have tried to move on and be mature by leaving you alone. Why don't you try to do the same rather than continue to attack me in posts I'm hoping I'll never see.

As far as Perron playing tonight goes, according to both Strickland and Rutherford, he was expected to be scratched tonight. I've also recently read that a couple of our forwards may not be able to go tonight so Perron looks to be in. I hope Perron is in. It's just a shame that it takes an injury to keep him in the lineup despite Andy Murray.

Also Tkachuk continues to shine...Thank God he's not in danger of ever being pressboxed

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:00 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
This is realy frickin sad. Attention TrustInJarmo, you are on my ignore list. The only way I even see your posts is if someone else calls you out for being wrong (which happens alot) and I see it quoted. I have tried to move on and be mature by leaving you alone. Why don't you try to do the same rather than continue to attack me in posts I'm hoping I'll never see.

As far as Perron playing tonight goes, according to both Strickland and Rutherford, he was expected to be scratched tonight. I've also recently read that a couple of our forwards may not be able to go tonight so Perron looks to be in. I hope Perron is in. It's just a shame that it takes an injury to keep him in the lineup despite Andy Murray.

Also Tkachuk continues to shine...Thank God he's not in danger of ever being pressboxed

You don't develop a young kid by throwing them out there to sink.

You play them in selective situations, you "protect" them, if you will.

And your target for abuse in that post isn't the first to notice your Perron fanboy status. Its ok to have a favorite player, you don't need to bring it up every GDT though.

He's 19, he's going to sit his fair share.

You don't bench a $4 million player regardless of how bad they are playing...sadly this the the Tkachuk we're getting for that sum.....sucks.

Old
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Glove side

Jackman's Stock is already down(1G,4A) not to mention a +/- of (-12). Granted Jackman is understood to be a defensive defenseman, but I think that's grounds to be benched.

As far as Brewer is concerned, I think TIJ is dead on. Brewer hasn't played like a #1 Defensemen in a while. Both EJ and Perron have more points, which is just unacceptable.

Their are obviously different ways to assess the situation, but I think it is worth mentioning that if the vets aren't providing the spark, sometimes its needed from the young players. Both EJ and Perron have played good enough to deserve a spot and wouldn't it be great to start seeing them respond.

Glove side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:35 AM
dirt

Quote:
If Murray can't live with the youth this season then we are in for a rough '08-09 when as many as 4 more rookies will have a regular spot.
Good point. We'll see if the organization is committed to homegrown talent or not.

dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
St.Louis sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post

I'll agree with you that our Point men aren't a threat, but with Kariya, Tkachuk, Boyes, Stempniak, MacDonald, and Perron in the mix there is enough talent there not to be dead last in the league. How many times are we going to see Kariya in the right corner skate around in a circle and leave the puck for MacDonald in the right corner and then he leaves the puck for Kariya in the right corner?????? They almost never hit the weakside d-man streaking down the far post like many of the other NHL teams do. IMO Johnson has done a good job of getting his shots on the net to be deflected or rebounded so I would keep him on the point. Unless Tkachuk is infront of the net like a Holmstrom he is of no use on the PP. Brewer has no business on the PP 1st unit.

I believe there is enough talent on this roster to at least be around 20th or so in the league with a change in philosophy. I appreciate your differing opinion. Who would you take off the PP or put on the PP if you think we don't have enough talent?

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
I'll agree with you that our Point men aren't a threat, but with Kariya, Tkachuk, Boyes, Stempniak, MacDonald, and Perron in the mix there is enough talent there not to be dead last in the league. How many times are we going to see Kariya in the right corner skate around in a circle and leave the puck for MacDonald in the right corner and then he leaves the puck for Kariya in the right corner?????? They almost never hit the weakside d-man streaking down the far post like many of the other NHL teams do. IMO Johnson has done a good job of getting his shots on the net to be deflected or rebounded so I would keep him on the point. Unless Tkachuk is infront of the net like a Holmstrom he is of no use on the PP. Brewer has no business on the PP 1st unit.

I believe there is enough talent on this roster to at least be around 20th or so in the league with a change in philosophy. I appreciate your differing opinion. Who would you take off the PP or put on the PP if you think we don't have enough talent?

I agree that our fowards have enough talent to be good or atleast adaquate on the PP, but I would say our problem lies on the point. I don't think the forwards are to confident passing it back there...I would not either. Brewer and Jax are both inapt as both stickhandelers and shooters. Most of the odd breaks against both seem to come off of either blocked shots or terrible passes. Salvy has a good shot, but he has many of the same problems as the other two, just not as bad. McKee just can't be out there. Walker has a bomb, but he is slow and hit stickhandeling would worry me on the PP. Backman should not be on the first unit, but who else can handle the puck as well as he can out of those guys? Johnson is the only one I would have on the first unit...if it were possible. I would really like to move a Dman and bring up Wagner....Woywitka would help too. Though if we move Backman I guess we are essentially in the same spot. I really hope we can though, to make room for a younger guy.

Old
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:

Must be nice not to have answer any of my points by simply saying "Attention TrustInJarmo, you are on my ignore list."

As for Perron last night...why no credit to Murray for all the minutes Perron got?
Why no credit for Murray putting Perron on the shoot outs in a big spot against Lunogo?

I guess I won't get an answer on that since I am on your ignore list.

Carry on and continue to put more people on your ignore list that you don't have an answer for.

As for me, I can admit when I am wrong. I can admit when someone brings a good point.

Like when St.Louis sports fan said, "If Murray can't live with the youth this season then we are in for a rough '08-09 when as many as 4 more rookies will have a regular spot."

Great point St Louis sports fan....we are going to have more young guys and we will get younger the next couple years.

It will be interesting to see how Murray handles it.

But I think Perron and EJ will get a bulk of playing time NEXT year, where Oshie and Berglund will not. I think that is one reason Murray wanted Perron up here this year, instead of having 3-4 ROOKIES next year.

Not only can Perron play in the league, but he will be that much better off next year, by getting shifts and learning this winter.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 01-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.