HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky Mancrush Thread

Old
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
NHLhockey1234

vCash: 500
He has got to be signed to a multi year. He just has too. Look at what Ovechkin is doing and Hartnell. We need to lock up this guy for a good time. That will make him even more motivated.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
He has got to be signed to a multi year. He just has too. Look at what Ovechkin is doing and Hartnell. We need to lock up this guy for a good time. That will make him even more motivated.
Ummm no you don't do that before a player has proven he can do this over the long term.... He's just a rookie... We get him for 3 years for dirty cheap...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:56 AM
n_a_c

Agreed, he wont be getting a big contract until he really proves himself. And he shouldn't be satisfied with a long term contract for little money.

I think he is learning from all the vets and an unbelievable speed. He talks like Shanahan after games. He is a bull with the puck and making moves like Jagr. He is fiesty like Avery. He is good at faceoffs like Drury. And he backchecks like Straka. Ok... some of those are a bit of a stretch, especially the last one. But continues to get better, and he is the definition of a COMPLETE hockey player.

I love the guy, and hope he continues to improve and is a Ranger for a long time.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Wasn't Brandon one of those 2nd level prospects some people wanted to include in a trade for rental such as Floppa in Philly last year?Can you imagine if the Rangers traded him to the Flyers or for some other rental?Be careful with these rental players this season too.

Dubinsky still has another season remaining on his entry level contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
funky

If you want to ship Dubinsky to L.A I would love it. He is a big bodied, skilled player that can skate and is aggressive. He is young, worked hard to make the team and seems very mature for his age. You guys have a rare find there.

I watch a lot of Ranger games and I would love to see you guys shed your vets like Jagr, and Shanny. They seem to actually be holding up the Dubinsky's and the Dawes who I am also starting to like.

I would love to see Dubinsky centering L.A's second line with Frolov and Cammellari. I am crossing my fingures that Sather panicks and offers him up in a package for Blake or Nagy, or Visnovsky or Stuart or one of our firesale vets that will be traded of to playoff conteneders.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wasn't Brandon one of those 2nd level prospects some people wanted to include in a trade for rental such as Floppa in Philly last year?Can you imagine if the Rangers traded him to the Flyers or for some other rental?Be careful with these rental players this season too.

Dubinsky still has another season remaining on his entry level contract.
I don't think anyone who's familiar with the Rangers' brass could have knowingly included Dubinsky in any trade talks... If they were familiar with the Rangers management, they would know that the organization was very high on Brandon from the get go.... He was a de facto 'untouchable' in the organization's eyes probably....

On a different note... Is anyone else a bit perplexed at the level in which Dubinsky's development has skyrocketed since he started playing in the NHL? If you were to create a line graph of Dubinsky's level of play/development over the last 2-3 years, you would see a HUGE SPIKE these last 6 months or so... It seems he has turned it on the most once he hit the highest level of competition.... Which says wonders about his character but still surprises me....

I don't get to watch a lot of Pack games at all.... But Dubinsky has always been a player who's gotten my attention based on his size, character, and the scouting reports I've read on him.... I remember last season on multiple occasions asking some Wolfpack regulars how Dubinsky was doing and how he had looked and while I didn't hear many negatives, I certainly didn't hear anything that would even remotely describe the way he's playing right now.... I really didn't get the impression that he wow'd Wolfpack fans anywhere even close to the way in which he's wow'ing us now.....

Which has me wondering, which of our other prospects are really going to 'turn it on' and show us a level of play we've never seen before once they hit the NHL level..... This really changes the way in which I look at our prospects.... I guess I always have to allow for the possibility that some players aren't going to play to the best of their (current) potential until they reach the highest level...

Old
02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Which has me wondering, which of our other prospects are really going to 'turn it on' and show us a level of play we've never seen before once they hit the NHL level..... This really changes the way in which I look at our prospects.... I guess I always have to allow for the possibility that some players aren't going to play to the best of their (current) potential until they reach the highest level...
Really good points. I think guys like Korpikoski, Byers and even Bourret could turn it on once they get a shot in the NHL. One thing I haven't seen brought up too often is that there are so many forwards with NHL upside in Hartford that you're never going to get nine 30 goal scorers in their lineup. They can't win every game 8-2. If these forwards finish with only 15-20 goals, it doesn't mean they'll never provide any offense in the NHL.

Dubi's growth over the past month gives me a lot of hope for many of the forwards in Hartford.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It may also be the exposure to Jags, Shanny, Gomer, & Drury who are teaching him things coaches can't. Add the level of competition plus a player who may have above average hockey sense and general intelligence, and you have someone that explodes when given these kind of opportunities. I don't see it as he was slacking in the AHL, but rather he had learned what he could and need the next level of experience for him to reach his potential.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:56 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
If you want to ship Dubinsky to L.A I would love it. He is a big bodied, skilled player that can skate and is aggressive. He is young, worked hard to make the team and seems very mature for his age. You guys have a rare find there.

I watch a lot of Ranger games and I would love to see you guys shed your vets like Jagr, and Shanny. They seem to actually be holding up the Dubinsky's and the Dawes who I am also starting to like.

I would love to see Dubinsky centering L.A's second line with Frolov and Cammellari. I am crossing my fingures that Sather panicks and offers him up in a package for Blake or Nagy, or Visnovsky or Stuart or one of our firesale vets that will be traded of to playoff conteneders.
Dubinsky has a greater impact on this team than those players would. Its not happening.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
It may also be the exposure to Jags, Shanny, Gomer, & Drury who are teaching him things coaches can't. Add the level of competition plus a player who may have above average hockey sense and general intelligence, and you have someone that explodes when given these kind of opportunities. I don't see it as he was slacking in the AHL, but rather he had learned what he could and need the next level of experience for him to reach his potential.
Well then is he an exception to the stated Rangers Management rule/mandate that they want to see a prospect dominate in the lowel level (AHL) before they utilize them at the NHL level?

Michael Sauer is apparently struggling a bit to play w/ the Wolfpack... Does he get called up and have a Dan Girardi type showing or do we leave him down in the AHL until he proves he can be dominant at that level?

Questions I don't have answers to.

Old
02-02-2008, 03:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Well then is he an exception to the stated Rangers Management rule/mandate that they want to see a prospect dominate in the lowel level (AHL) before they utilize them at the NHL level?

Michael Sauer is apparently struggling a bit to play w/ the Wolfpack... Does he get called up and have a Dan Girardi type showing or do we leave him down in the AHL until he proves he can be dominant at that level?
Questions I don't have answers to.
different conditions.....dubinsky had a great second half of the year....he never seemed out of place.......great skater.....

sauer has looked a little out of place in AHL, letting people skate around him and such.....i think he will be a very good nhjl defencman, but he needs a little moe time to learn how to play better defensively in the transition game before he can stick in the nhl

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
mstraka82

i can finally say i am happy to have dubi nd nobody else

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

Dubi's become as much of untouchable as anyone not named Lundqvist or Staal. Don't expect seeing his name in trade rumors...unless it's "X team would LOVE to get Brandon Dubinsky".

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:14 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Man, has this kid ever grown from the beginning of the season.

Man, is he ever fun to watch.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
some of the comments in this thread really perplex me-- i wonder if everyone just has amnesia or something, but for the longest time Dubinsky was thought of as the Ranger's top offensive prospect. We were all drooling over him in the WHL when he was putting up really good numbers and his physical play was appreciated.

Dubinsky didn't put up amazing numbers in his first AHL season and a bunch of people started saying stuff like "he's a career third liner" etc. but Dubinsky has always had a ton of offensive skill. And, if you remember his WHL days, he's a much better passer than scorer, so one day soon he could be a really well rounded top line center

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Let's not forget that the learning curve for d-men is much longer.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
On a different note... Is anyone else a bit perplexed at the level in which Dubinsky's development has skyrocketed since he started playing in the NHL? If you were to create a line graph of Dubinsky's level of play/development over the last 2-3 years, you would see a HUGE SPIKE these last 6 months or so... It seems he has turned it on the most once he hit the highest level of competition.... Which says wonders about his character but still surprises me....
I think he's just a bit of a slow starter. It took him awhile to really acclimate to the AHL, same with the NHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Another totally impressive game.....what an amazing pick this kid has turned out to be ( knock wood)

Does he have a weakness to his game? Other than just being a rookie, I dont see one.

Maybe he's just baffeling me with the 110% of hustle and effort every shift.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
HockeyBurd*

He's really getting used to his size and adjusting at a fast rate. He's turning into a big skilled guy who throws his body around. That's a pretty nice package.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's really getting used to his size and adjusting at a fast rate. He's turning into a big skilled guy who throws his body around. That's a pretty nice package.
8 points in his last 10

sweet

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dubi is the f'in man

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:27 PM
eco's bones

His goal today was the most important of the game IMO. It got me thinking that a comeback was possible.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
That shot today was an awesome snipe.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
broadwayblue

Great to have a home grown kid who grew up a Rangers fan. Can't imagine them moving him any time soon.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Another totally impressive game.....what an amazing pick this kid has turned out to be ( knock wood)

Does he have a weakness to his game? Other than just being a rookie, I dont see one.

Maybe he's just baffeling me with the 110% of hustle and effort every shift.
He can't fight

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote