HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brent Johnson

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Potter

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potter
Brent Johnson

what would it take to get him? waived, no body wants him. he could have a resurgence in NY. i'd say he's worth a 5th rounder (and thats being kind). what do yall think?

Old
01-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Barnaby

He's not the answer.... Unless Dunham is out for an extended period of time I wouldn't bother. If Dunham is back in a week It would force us to then waive Johnson or Markkanen. I like Markkanen as a back-up so I wouldnt want to lose him. Plus, I think Johnsons is making a pretty large salary. If Dunham is out for 2 months I would consider it.

I honestly feel we should take a look at Bulin or Burke. If either would come at a reasonable price, then I'd do it. Kolzig is on the hook for too much money so unless he costs a 3rd rounder then screw it. We need a goalie that can make big saves and steal a couple of points every so often like Richter used to. We need someone to keep us in games when our defense is sloppy. I thought Dunham was the man, but he's too inconsistent.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Vito Andolini

Here's something I dont understand...a few weeks ago many people on this board were ready to make Markkanen the starter and Dunham the back-up. Now all the sudden we have to trade for an elite goaltender just cause Mike got hurt? Sure Markkanen hasn't been spectacular, but that will happen when the defense hangs you out to dry, and your coach only plays you once ever 3 weeks. Before we make a panic trade and deal away what little future we have on this wasted season, why don't we see if Markkanen can handle the load when he's given a legitimate shot. And if we do have to make a trade, then lets address the real problems on this team...defense.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I don't know who was ready to make Jussi a starter, but I sure as hell wasn't one of them. I think Markkanen is great...as in a great backup , but I wouldn't try to turn him into something he's not, which would be a #1.

I don't see much of a difference between Dunham and Johnson. I'm still going to stand strong on my view that if we're looking for a goalie, which I think we should, our #1 guy should be Khabibulin. I liked Martin Biron, too.

Either way, I don't think Dunham is going to end up being our guy.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
Here's something I dont understand...a few weeks ago many people on this board were ready to make Markkanen the starter and Dunham the back-up. Now all the sudden we have to trade for an elite goaltender just cause Mike got hurt? Sure Markkanen hasn't been spectacular, but that will happen when the defense hangs you out to dry, and your coach only plays you once ever 3 weeks. Before we make a panic trade and deal away what little future we have on this wasted season, why don't we see if Markkanen can handle the load when he's given a legitimate shot. And if we do have to make a trade, then lets address the real problems on this team...defense.
I agree we need to give Markkanen a chance. And Brent Johnson is certainly is not the answer.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Barnaby

Markkanen is a nice goalie, but you guys are in for a rude awakening if you think he's going to become a very good starter. Just to clarify I'm not saying trade for another goalie cuz Dunham is hurt I'm saying look at another goalie because Mike has been playing like crap for awhile now. I honestly thought he would prove himself as a top 10 starter this year, but he clearly hasnt.

Thibault is supposed to be coming back soon, and he might come fairly cheap. He has shown the ability to lead Chicago so why not NY? He's not my top choice, but if Burke or Bulin would cost too much he could be a very nice plan B.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
Here's something I dont understand...a few weeks ago many people on this board were ready to make Markkanen the starter and Dunham the back-up.
There's a difference between not wanting to tire out Dunham and keep Jussi fresh is different from annointing him a starter. However, he WAS doing fairly well for a time when Dunham was simple horrible. There's not much wrong w/ playing the guy who is currently doing much better.

Closed Thread