HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Chris Higgins?

Old
01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainey#1 View Post
Higgins is low on confidence right now.
He is still on pace for 55 points, I mean, that is not all that bad.

As recent as a year ago, everyone thought Plekanec was a 30 point player on the 3rd line. Look at him now on pace for over 70 points.

Higgins has the talent to score 70-80 points, and he will.

55 points.. thats not much... thats probably Markov and Streit numbers. For a guy that was supposed to be our 1st line winger.. its very disappointing. When is he having his break out season?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
55 points.. thats not much... thats probably Markov and Streit numbers. For a guy that was supposed to be our 1st line winger.. its very disappointing. When is he having his break out season?
He was drafted as a guy who could be slowly developed into an elite 3rd liner who can chip in on a scoring line.

His progress is satisfactory when seen in that light.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
He was drafted as a guy who could be slowly developed into an elite 3rd liner who can chip in on a scoring line.

Initially,as he was drafted as a guy who was projected to be a elite 3rd liner,this
step of development seems to be reached now.That being said,I still think Higgins could be a excellent 2nd line winger with a pretty decent scoring touch and great work ethic who can produce 60-65 pts consistently and itseems to go this way,in my humble opinion.His skating,passes,shot,one-on-one battles for the puck,speed are very decent.His hockey sense seems to be more limited than I thought,though he still
has a great hockey mind.

Maybe I'm not an bonafide expert to evaluate and judge talent,but here are my thoughts.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:

Initially,as he was drafted as a guy who was projected to be a elite 3rd liner,this step of development seems to be reached now.That being said,I still think Higgins could be a excellent 2nd line winger with a pretty decent scoring touch and great work ethic who can produce 60-65 pts consistently and itseems to go this way,in my humble opinion.His skating,passes,shot,one-on-one battles for the puck,speed,forecheck,strong two-way play are very decent and he's particularly solid in these aspects of the game .His overall hockey sense seems to be more limited than I thought,though he still has a great hockey mind.

Maybe I'm not an bonafide expert to evaluate and judge talent,but here are my thoughts.Yeah,his progress is satisfactory when seen in that light,but he could exceed expectations.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
JJ68*

Higgins is a SOLID player, not a GREAT player, certainly not a future "SUPERSTAR".

If you guys are expecting 40 goals-80 pts from this guy then you will be VERY dissapointed.

He's a good skater, when on his game protects the puck VERY well, has pretty good hands, is decent in front of the net, knows how to get himself open. But he does NOT have the hockey sense of a superstar, nor does he have the shot, nor does he have the playmaking to be one.

So please, please stop bashing him, and on the other hand overrating him when he's indeed playing well.

At most hes a 30-35-65 pt guy who might get some 70 pt seasons but nothing more.

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
Maybe I'm not an bonafide expert to evaluate and judge talent,but here are my thoughts.Yeah,his progress is satisfactory when seen in that light,but he could exceed expectations.
I think so, yeah.

I just think maybe people got a little overexcited at one point. It's happening with other young Habs right now, but I'm not going to name any names here...

Old
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I think he's a 30 goal scorer who will peak at 40 someday. He's probably a 65-70 point guy. He's only going to get better.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
JJ68*

Quote:
I think so, yeah.

I just think maybe people got a little overexcited at one point. It's happening with other young Habs right now, but I'm not going to name any names here...
If you're talking about Andrei Kostitsyn, he's a different case.

He was drafted very high in the draft, and had expectations of becoming a 1st line forward. Not an elite 3rd liner like Higgins.

Andrei is also amazingly skilled, with his skating, hands, shot and passing ability. He has talent coming out of his ears.

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68 View Post
If you're talking about Andrei Kostitsyn, he's a different case.

He was drafted very high in the draft, and had expectations of becoming a 1st line forward. Not an elite 3rd liner like Higgins.

Andrei is also amazingly skilled, with his skating, hands, shot and passing ability. He has talent coming out of his ears.
I see Kosti as a legit first line player with point per game capabilities. He won't be a superstar but he'll be a solid scorer.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Stradale

Without taking consideration where Higgins was drafted or what the organization expected him to become, to me the problem is that he showed some interesting thing at the beginning of last season, at that pace, he would have score 30 goal easily but was injured and it considerably slowed him down. So most of us expect him to score 30-35 goals this season which is normal. Remember he was a monster at the beginning of the season winning all 1 on 1 battle, near the board, creating his own scoring chances but MISSED numerous chance to score.

Last season, he had the excuse that he was still injured, thats why he had a bad second half but this season, afaik, he isnt injured but he's still having a major downslide again. The way he was playing at the beginning of the season and if he scored half of his numerous scoring chances, he was on pace for a 35-40 goals season but i dont know whats wrong with him, id be very happy to see him score 30.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:40 AM
1UP

He's 15-16-31 and +5.

He was drafted as a very good 2 way forward and that's what he is. He plays soundly defensively, he gives decent but streaky offense, and he plays physical when required.

I can see him easily becoming much better, by being a bit more constant.

Now, Koivu always gets his stuff going hard when teh going gets rough, and when everybody has to step it up a notch. With that, the Ryder-Koivu-Higgins line should be, again, something nice to see unfold during the last third of the season.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Without taking consideration where Higgins was drafted or what the organization expected him to become, to me the problem is that he showed some interesting thing at the beginning of last season, at that pace, he would have score 30 goal easily but was injured and it considerably slowed him down. So most of us expect him to score 30-35 goals this season which is normal. Remember he was a monster at the beginning of the season winning all 1 on 1 battle, near the board, creating his own scoring chances but MISSED numerous chance to score.

Last season, he had the excuse that he was still injured, thats why he had a bad second half but this season, afaik, he isnt injured but he's still having a major downslide again. The way he was playing at the beginning of the season and if he scored half of his numerous scoring chances, he was on pace for a 35-40 goals season but i dont know whats wrong with him, id be very happy to see him score 30.
Not only that but two years ago, the moment Julien put him on the first line around the holidays the guy exploded. So much so that from the holidays to the series he was second in the entire league to having scored the most points!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:29 AM
kernkraft

Quick question:

Chris was drafted right after Semin. Which one would you prefer?

(This is in no way a bash or hindsight thing, we COULDN'T have drafted Semin).

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Higgins still shows the inconsistency of young players. I know Higgins came up in through Hamilton, but before this he was an NCAA player and a minor hockey player, leagues that don't necessarily prepare you for 80 games and NHL travel. He may be tuckered out and the All Star break could be a nice tonic for Higgins.

He's such an intelligent players, who has an uncanny ability to cause turnover with his puck pressure. He's capable of playing first line minutes, when he's at his best, and he can play on the 2nd or 3rd while in these downturns. I expect they'll get fewer and far between as he ages/gains experience. He can produce more in the future, hard to say how much more, but i think he can nab 35.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Semin is an amazing (but inconsistent) talent, AND we already have a "talent/skill" player in our Andrei Kostitsyn. WE NEED HIGGINS. We don't need Semin (a very hot, cold player a la Zherdev, imo).

You build teams, dynasties with guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Chipchura..., and later there will be Pacioretty and McDonagh (again...character & heart, NOT just talent).

I really don't understand this thread? We're so lucky to have guys like Higgins playing/representing our Montreal Canadiens/Habs.

Higgins is full of heart, talent/skill/speed, great work ethic, offensive/defensive play, great attitude, captain material (like Komisarek, Chipchura).

We're winning a lot, the team is doing well (this includes Higgins), yet, we get threads like "what's wrong with Higgins?"
"What's wrong with some (not all) HAB fans?"

Some of you want Samsonov back? Theo back? Dagenais back? Some of you want Ribeiro back? (I say...good riddance).

Our team is going in the right direction, we not only have talent BUT good character, good "team" players (Ribs=anti-team, ALL-$elfi$h). Guys like Higgs, Komisarek, Chips, Price will lead this team to great things. They're winners with class, character, unlike players like Ribs who just play for their big contract$ (will never be a playoff player, 'cause you need heart, character for playoffs...to me Ribs will always be Ribs, even in Dallas).
I'm looking at all those names. Thank you for demonstrating so brilliantly that the secret to heart and character is to be an anglophone. Lemme take a super wild guess: you live on the west side of the Island. The side where all the character and heart of this city currently resides.

Thanks to you, I've learned that if you're streaky, there are two possible explanations:

If your name is Semin, it's because you've got no heart and you're all talent.

But if your name is Higgins. It's because you're a character player with heart.

That makes so much sense. I wonder why I didn't figure it out earlier.

Now, excuse me but I must go. I've snorted all the cocaine I could get my hand on this morning and need to go on a hot streak, so that some dummy will overpay me. Because I'm all about the money. Money that I need for hookers and more drugs. It's not my fault, it's a cultural thing.

Old
01-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
This is not aimed at you! (above!). But, just using the Semin example...

Semin is an amazing (but inconsistent) talent, AND we already have a "talent/skill" player in our Andrei Kostitsyn. WE NEED HIGGINS. We don't need Semin (a very hot, cold player a la Zherdev, imo).

You build teams, dynasties with guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Chipchura..., and later there will be Pacioretty and McDonagh (again...character & heart, NOT just talent).

We're winning a lot, the team is doing well (this includes Higgins), yet, we get threads like "what's wrong with Higgins?"

Higgins is our Drury, Parise, Lehtinen.

Players like Higgs, Parise, Drury (with Buffalo), Lehtinen will give you a chance to go very far in playoffs. Not Semin! (imo). Not Ribs!
What makes you think Andrei only has Talent/Skills but no character nor heart??..His Bro sure showed how much heart he had last game..when's the last time Higgins dropped his gloves?

And we build dynasties with players like Chipchura?..euhh sure buddy. The man played a few games in the NHL, some good some bad. If he's too be our future captain as you say, he's gonna have to work on a lot of things. If he doesnt he'll never more than a 3rd liner.

Clearly you haven't been watching our games because Higgins isn't battling as much as he used to. His confidence is low and its not too hard to notice that. Lose your hard-on for a minute and watch the games.
A ''hot'' Higgins would have had at least 2-3pts in a 8-2 Victory, he had a big 0.

Higgins is nowhere near where Drury and Parise are.

A roster is made up of 23players, you dont win with a team filled with players all of the same style
So to say you win cups with guys like Higgins but not Semin is simply dumb.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
December 14, 2008 he will record 2 goals, 2 assists then proceed to go on a 12 game point scoring streak. He will finish the season with 38 goals, 72 points.

There's your answer. If not satisfied, well I'm not quite sure why you even asked the question.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 01-24-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
HotPie

Some people *cough* Mr. Hab *cough* really need to take off their rosed colour glasses. Higgins has not been giving a consistent effort this season. In fact, he hasn't been giving a consistent effort since his injury last season. When you really think about it, Higgins' best year was his rookie year when he teared it up right after being put on the first line; he carried it on the next season, got injured, and hasn't been the same player since.

THAT is why some of us are getting disappointed. Most know that he was projected as an elite 3rd liner, but he showed he could be much more than that in his rookie season.

What really gets to me though is the irony behind Higgins situation this year. We all remember how he called out Kovalev last year on his garbage effort and that we could have made the playoffs if he had actually given a damn. Now fast-forward to this season: Kovalev is probably the forward giving the most consistent effort this season, hell sometimes he's the only one. Now you you have Higgins being inconsistent, where some games he's dominant and others invisible.

Note: I AM IN NO WAY SAYING HIGGINS RIGHT NOW IS COMPARABLE TO KOVALEV'S CRAPFEST LAST SEASON. I just think it's ironic how that turned out, and I have to say it's one of the reasons why I'm disappointed in Higgins this year. He's done a lot of talk, but so far hasn't backed it up.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Lone Rogue

To be honest, I'm convinced Higgins might end up peaking as a 20-30 goal scorer and being more of a two way third liner. I was much more impressed with how he shut down Havlat than almost all of his play this and last year.

That said, I want to keep him until he retires, but if Higgins turns into a shutdown player who can score goals, I am more than happy. It's not me saying he can't be more, but if he doesn't become more, I'm not saddened.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
To be honest, I'm convinced Higgins might end up peaking as a 20-30 goal scorer and being more of a two way third liner. I was much more impressed with how he shut down Havlat than almost all of his play this and last year.

That said, I want to keep him until he retires, but if Higgins turns into a shutdown player who can score goals, I am more than happy. It's not me saying he can't be more, but if he doesn't become more, I'm not saddened.
Well it's really a matter of his shot and accuracy, isn't it? He has a beautiful wrist shot, fights hard in traffic and prior to this season found ways to get himself in a good scoring position like all good goal scorers do.

Now, Higgins will always be able to rely on rebounds, garbage goals etc. to get him to the 20 goal plateau. The question remains, can he shoot accurately coming down the wing, or firing a one-timer into the net? Will he ever get his timing down that he can pot the goals he needs to in order to be a 1st liner? Seems to me to be a case of fight-or-flight reflex where you tense up at the precise moment you get the puck. As to whether or not he'll shake that off remains to be seen.

Higgins himself seems confident enough, after having spent a few years in the league, to know what he can do in certain situations. He feels he has the hands to pot 40 in an ideal season. I see no reason to doubt him at this point.

Old
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Some people *cough* Mr. Hab *cough* really need to take off their rosed colour glasses. Higgins has not been giving a consistent effort this season. In fact, he hasn't been giving a consistent effort since his injury last season.
That's not true. Higgins has not produce on a consistent basis but the effort is always there. I think he gives it all and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but you can't question his effort level.

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Cool Pictures

I've never seen Higgins take a slapshot in 3 years. No one-timers either. Always wristers, and not very accurate. He has no shot, period. For that reason alone, he will never score more than 25-30 in a season.

Cool Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Pictures View Post
I've never seen Higgins take a slapshot in 3 years. No one-timers either. Always wristers, and not very accurate. He has no shot, period. For that reason alone, he will never score more than 25-30 in a season.
Then you need to watch more closely, friend. He has a great wrist shot.

Paul Coffey was on OTR this year, and he was asked how many times he saw Mark Messier take a slap shot. If I remember correctly, his answer was '2 or 3 times'.

Old
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

i remember reading in the canadiens magazine higgins saying he never took slapshots when he was younger because he didn't want to break his sticks so that's the reason he barely takes slapshots, because he doesn't have one

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Erika

Quote:
This is not aimed at you! (above!). But, just using the Semin example...

[B]You build teams, dynasties with guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Chipchura..., and later there will be Pacioretty and McDonagh (again...character & heart, NOT just talent).

I really don't understand this thread? We're so lucky to have guys like Higgins playing/representing our Montreal Canadiens/Habs.

Higgins is full of heart, talent/skill/speed, great work ethic, offensive/defensive play, great attitude, captain material (like Komisarek, Chipchura).
"What's wrong with some (not all) HAB fans?"

Some of you want Samsonov back? Theo back? Dagenais back? Some of you want Ribeiro back? (I say...good riddance).

Our team is going in the right direction, we not only have talent BUT good character, good "team" players (Ribs=anti-team, ALL-$elfi$h). Guys like Higgs, Komisarek, Chips, Price will lead this team to great things. They're winners with class, character, unlike players like Ribs who just play for their big contract$ (will never be a playoff player, 'cause you need heart, character for playoffs...to me Ribs will always be Ribs, even in Dallas).

I want to keep this/these threads in "My Favourites" so I can pull it out when some of you will regret saying anything bad about Higgs.

Gosh, pick on Smolinski instead , why pick on...Higgs? (of all players).
50 pts, 60 pts, 80 pts...Higgs is soooo useful to our CH (don't want to imagine him in another jersey, unless you give me Parise!! just kidding!).

Higgins is our Drury, Parise, Lehtinen.

Higgins, Drury, Parise, Lehtinen >>>>>>>>>> Semin, Samsonov, Ribeiro.
Players like Higgs, Parise, Drury (with Buffalo), Lehtinen will give you a chance to go very far in playoffs. Not Semin! (imo). Not Ribs!

Go Higgs Go (49 pts a season, 53 pts season, 65 pts season, 75 pts season, 80pts+, etc, etc, etc...Higgs is awesome/soooo useful/sooooo important to the CH).

And, don't you worry...Higgs will one day get his 70 or 80 pts in one season, and then what? You'll find something else to pick on ("oh! no, Higgs is now expensive...we'll have to pay him $4-5 mil a year now! oh no," etc...). A player like Higgs represents way more than just points. Higgs cares about two-way play, he cares about the team, not all about "get point$, no defense, get point$, 0 defense, get lot$ of point$ a la Ribeiro for a big, juicy contract..."). Higgs has already said that he makes lots of money.And, watch him in playoffs. I'd bet (my cheap car!) that he will be (throughout his career) a very valuable, "full of heart/hustle" playoffs player.

LOL, that post is one of the funniest I've ever read !!

You don't know what your talking about with Alexander Semin. Semin had 73 points in 77 games last season, and most Washington fans will tell you that Semin had a better season than Ovechkin last year. He was pretty consistent last season, putting effort night in, night out. This year, he battled with an ankle injury at the beginning of the season and reinjured himself three times trying to come back to help his team.

His numbers suffered because of this and could't help the Caps. Now that he is almost fully recovered, he put up 12 points in his last 10 games and looked like the dominant force he was last year. If Semin would've stayed healthy with the Caps all season, Washington would be in a playoff spot right now !! He would easilly produce an 80 points season. Comparing Semin to Zherdev is silly, because Zherdev is no where near Semin in terms of work ethic.

And you're telling me that Higgins was consistent this season ?!?! Sorry, but you need to remove your pink glasses, because Higgins was good for about 20 games and dissapeared since mid-november. He is no-where to be found right now, so don't tell me he put the effort every night. This guy is a streaky player and he will probably stay that way for the rest of his career. Look at last year and the year before...

And give me a break with Kyle Chipchura, this guy has lots to do before becoming captain material, because he will be nothing more than a 4th/border line 3rd liner to me, let alone being the Captain of the Canadiens. Try to make the big club in the first place Kyle and then we'll see.

Comparing Higgins to Drury, Parise and Lehtinen is even more foolish, because he is not even close to theses players and never will.

Higgins has trash talk alot since he's a full time Hab, remember the Ryder thing, the Kovalev thing last year and his role changing on the 3rd line, but I don't see any results. That's what we call ''GROS PARLEUR' PETIT FAISEUR''.

So don't tell me that Higgins is all about heart, leadership, grit and thoses stereotypes just because he's an North American. Right now, Higgins is just an average player at best. Semin has no heart and is inconsistent because he is Russian ... Yeahh right !!!

Sorry, but Semin >>>>> Higgins and it's not even close !! Semin wil be a superstar and Higgins is just a streaky two-way forward with 50-55 points a year.

And Semin >>>>>>>>> Samsonov, Ribeiro, Zherdev

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote