HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Chris Higgins?

Old
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
48-15-16-31

on pace for 82-26-27-53.

Still decent numbers, but he hasn't been playing well at all lately.

He's shown he's a very streaky player. I still think he (or Komi) can be our future captain.

But do you guys think he's consistent enough to be a 70 point player in the NHL as some of us have predicted.

When he's on a streak he's very good, but when he's on a cold streak he's pretty damn bad.

One thing I've noticed with him though, and I think most of you would agree..he could be the best Habs player down low, along the boards..fighting for pucks..in a long time. The only thing is once he wins the battle..he'll pass it to the other teams players skate.

I still think Chris is a very good two way player, he just needs to find some consistency.
Whatever it is, it seems to be effecting Koivu too! Both of them are playing rotten and need to get their game in order for the stretch run.

We can't have our captain and one of our best forwards sucking down the stretch when we need them the most. They better find an answer and start playing hockey soon.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
LyleOdelein

Higgins slumps offensively on occasion, but he always gets chances. When he connects on one, they come in bunches. The good thing is his defensive play and work ethic never drop off. Higgins will find consistency, with the scoring depth this team has to ease the pressure, it's bound to happen. Sometimes we need to remember how young these guys are.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Skyblaze

Higgins isn't exactly an experienced player yet. People have been treating him almost as if he was a vet around here... My best guess is that he hit a slump and has a hard time shaking out of it because he's thinking too much about it.

There's no need to worry too much about Higgins because he will turn it around before long; he's a good player that just might have a little bit too much on his plate at the moment. He just needs to concentrate on playing good hockey and not worry too much about putting the puck in the net for a while and it'll just come back naturally.

Getting an A and being seen by media and fans as "the new face of the franchise" is a bit rough on a 24 yr old.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

nice to see Higgins score tonight

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
nice to see Higgins score tonight
Koivu scored too.

That might just put that line back in gear, with Ryder also scoring vs the Bruins and Koivu starting to produce again.

Smolinski also showed a lot more effort that he did for a good part of the season. Did he play hurt or did he not care before, no idea, but tonight he was there.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
shredder11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Koivu scored too.

That might just put that line back in gear, with Ryder also scoring vs the Bruins and Koivu starting to produce again.

Smolinski also showed a lot more effort that he did for a good part of the season. Did he play hurt or did he not care before, no idea, but tonight he was there.
I agree with you on every aspect of this game.

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Koivu scored too.

Both Koivu and Higgins goals came after Ryder was replaced by Billy K on that line...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:35 PM
couz

Let's not forget that Higgins is a notorious 2nd half player...each year he goes on a rampage in the 2nd half...since his Hamiulton days,.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Both Koivu and Higgins goals came after Ryder was replaced by Billy K on that line...
I doubt it's what turned things around.Ryder did not get much playing time,in the 2nd we we're in penalty trouble and in the 3rd I think I only saw him once and he took a great shot on Brodeur.

Good for Higgins,right place at the right time.He should do that more often instead of trying to make the hole play himself

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I love this...HAB fans VS HAB fans.

I'm a huuuuuuge fan of Andrei (jump up and down every time he scores, like a crazy kid who had too much sugar). I think (imo) that he has heart/grit, I just didn't indicate it in my post, I also think Sergei MAY have more grit/physical play in him than Andrei (maybe an edge over Andrei). In the end, I love our Kostitsyn brothers.

Higgins dropping gloves? I wouldn't want that. Not every player has to drop their gloves to show heart/desire (how often does Parise or Lehtinen drop their gloves? you wouldn't take them on the HABS?). "Nowhere near Drury, PArise..." not now, but he's in their category when he's at his best. And, maybe he's not consistent right now but maybe your expectations are too high (Higgs is still young), let him be...he has a lot of value (very important to the team). He'll find his groove (are you in a rush? he has to provide some of you hockey poolers with 80 pts now?!!). Whether he will do it or not, imo, Higgs has the potential to be a 70-80 pts player while bringing strong defensive play (we haven't had too many of those with our HABS recently).

Chipchura: yes...! I believe you need players like Chips (solid 3rd line, two-way player, love his "team first" attitude, love his intelligence on/off ice). He also has SOME 2nd line, two-way center potential (some...). He will sooner than later prove that he has lots of leadership (the kind you will love in playoffs). 3rd line center is not enough for you? We need a solid 3rd line center like Chips.

Semin: yes, he has superstar/star potential, he already had a star season (I'm aware). But...I'll give it to you: you guys probably know more about Semin than I do. I know he has amazing moves, sometimes while watching Washington I've made the mistake many times of mistaking Semin for Ovechkin (honestly). So, yes...I went too far with my Semin comments!! (not a crime). But, you never know...I did think that he may disappear sometimes (supertalented or not), if YOU say it was 'cause of an injury, then I'll believe it (no arguing there).

The North American VS Russia thing: I never mentioned that. Are you saying I wouldn't take Ovechkin 'cause he's Russian? I wouldn't take Kopitar 'cause he's Slovenian?

"Right now, Higgins is an average player at best":: average? shakehead

Sounds like you have an agenda against Higgins and Chipchura.
IMO, Chips has the character/intelligence to ONE day (later than sooner or vice versa) be a captain (so does Komisarek, I'd put Komisarek ahead of Chips, of course). Maybe Higgins will be assistant captain one day...

"Gros parleur, petit faiseur": oui, oui, oui...y fait a rien, asti, pour l'equipe, tabarouette, y pus tellement. S't'un asti pourrit qui est tellement gros parleur. Il faut qu'on s'en debarasse, t'as raison. What am I thinking? Y va etre un "streaky" player pour le restant d'sa carriere, qui decrisse le maudit "North American".
T'est tu en manques pour un Ribeiro? ou un Dagenais? ou Theo? if you want to make this a Quebecois thing, I'd (of course) want the HABS to get a Lecavalier, a Patrice Bergeron (100% healthy), a Steve Bernier, a young Martin Lapointe (when he was with Detroit, not now), a younger Ian Laperriere, a younger Martin Gelinas, etc...(guys with character/heart and not just talent, although I'm still not a 100% sure about Bernier, yet).
I hope this is not a french vs english thing 'cause I'm a Montrealer (english and french, french and english, I don't come here to argue about Russia, Slovenia, Quebec, USA, Canada, West-Islanders, Outremont, french montrealers, english Montrealers, etc...it'll never end (all that happens is that people become agitated, unhappy talking about all this, nothing comes out of it). I prefer to try to get along with everyone (it helps that all/most of my friends are half Quebecois, half Irish, full french, full english, half this, half that, etc...). And, Hab fans should all try to get along even if we don't always see eye to eye on everything. I just think inconsistent or not, Higgins is very important to the team. And, even when we win, there are always people who come out here to find something negative. Some people just thrive on negative, that's all. The glass is "half empty" people...

This is a good time to be happy (about our HABS), yet there are always negative threads picking on our good players.

Anyways...I'm not sure what I'm writing about anymore! C'est pas la guerre des tuques icite?! Just wanted to defend Higgins. I'll take another Higgins any day.
Bander ou pas bander...
Write a book.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Artyukhin*

nothing wrong with higgins ,he is on pace to having a career best year .

leave him be .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Where do YOU live?
I live in the no-heart, no-character part of the city...

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I live in the no-heart, no-character part of the city...
Jersey, right?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Game winning goal.

Higgins

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
nothing wrong with higgins ,he is on pace to having a career best year .

leave him be .
Its not like having more than 38 points is some kind of success. He could give us way more IMO.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Its not like having more than 38 points is some kind of success. He could give us way more IMO.

for all the complaining in here he is on pace currently for about 55 points and for only his 3rd year isnt to bad in my books.If he heats up in the last half then you might see closer to 70 pts.

as i said i got no problem with higgins

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
for all the complaining in here he is on pace currently for about 55 points and for only his 3rd year isnt to bad in my books.If he heats up in the last half then you might see closer to 70 pts.

as i said i got no problem with higgins
I completely agree...the problem with Chris Higgins is that he's not Sidney Crosby or Alexandre Ovechkin...and even then those guys have had scoring slumps before. Nobody (except for some completely unrealistic fans) ever thought that Higgins would ever be a Rocket Richard trophy winner. He's a solid two way player with a better than average offensive package for the type of player. Think a better version of Jason Blake and you're not far off.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I completely agree...the problem with Chris Higgins is that he's not Sidney Crosby or Alexandre Ovechkin...and even then those guys have had scoring slumps before. Nobody (except for some completely unrealistic fans) ever thought that Higgins would ever be a Rocket Richard trophy winner. He's a solid two way player with a better than average offensive package for the type of player. Think a better version of Jason Blake and you're not far off.
Name me ONE user that compared Higgins to Crosby or Ovechkin or expected him to win Rocket Richard trophy. Name me just one goddamit! Who the hell said that? I just hate when people like you do that just to make you look intelligent.

I think most of us are complaining that the Higgins that we have now is not the same as the Higgins that plays good hockey, that wins most of his battle 1 on 1, that can keep the puck and creates his own chances. Now, he is not the same player, because hes slumping, he will not score 30 goals, but hes a good two way player and blablabla... Im pretty sure before the season starts, most of us was expecting him to have his break out season and score 30-35 goals but no... he suddenly became a Jere Lehtinen and we shoulndt expect to much productivity out of him.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
That's just it. There's nothing wrong. He just doesn't put up points with the consistency of a first liner.

I don't think he's got much chemistry with Saku, for what it's worth.
it is what it is , he is a nice player .

But expecting him to put up first line numbers is nuts. He is a good 25-30 goal
50-60 point player , nothing wrong with that. At least we have developed a good forward , unlike the past . Now lets get him locked up with Komi .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What makes you think Andrei only has Talent/Skills but no character nor heart??..His Bro sure showed how much heart he had last game..when's the last time Higgins dropped his gloves?

And we build dynasties with players like Chipchura?..euhh sure buddy. The man played a few games in the NHL, some good some bad. If he's too be our future captain as you say, he's gonna have to work on a lot of things. If he doesnt he'll never more than a 3rd liner.

Clearly you haven't been watching our games because Higgins isn't battling as much as he used to. His confidence is low and its not too hard to notice that. Lose your hard-on for a minute and watch the games.
A ''hot'' Higgins would have had at least 2-3pts in a 8-2 Victory, he had a big 0.

Higgins is nowhere near where Drury and Parise are.

A roster is made up of 23players, you dont win with a team filled with players all of the same style
So to say you win cups with guys like Higgins but not Semin is simply dumb.
what the hell is there to debate here folks, no GM in the world takes Higgins over Semin , get real here. You need character players like Chips, the toughness of Komi,
but you won`t win cups without TALENT - The wings won with YZERMAN, Lidstrom ,
no doubt Draper playee a role but without the stars shining -NO CUP.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
bib
#believe

is it just me or does Higgins look like he's put on a little weight?

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
CrossCheck

Think he's overated... And I'm a Habs fan...

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Gainey#1*

Higgins is Boss!

29 other teams in the NHL would gladly take him off our hands and play him on there 1st or 2nd line, and some of oyu guys think he is crap.

Sure, he probably won't put up 90 points, but with his attitude, speed and skill, I fully expect him to be a 60-80 point player in this league, consistently scoring 30 goals. Not to mention his attitude, which is intangible. You can't replace a character guy like Higgins. Give me 20 Christopher Higgins on my team anyday.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
is it just me or does Higgins look like he's put on a little weight?

All part of his Santa Clause.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

He's doing well. The Habs never counted on him to become a superstar, just a solid middle of the 1st round pick. If he were Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin or Kovalchuk he would have gone 1st or 2nd in the draft. At least he's not Eric Chouinard and he's a better player than almost all of the forwards the Habs have drafted since he was selected in 2002. Maybe A. Kostitsyn is better, but Higgins is ahead of Chipchura and Latendresse, not to mention Urquhart, Lapierre, Maxwell, and White.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote