HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Goaltending situation after this season...

Old
01-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'll start off by saying that considering where we are in the standings and how well Huet is playing, that there is no way we trade him at the deadline.
Would you be willing to go into next season with Price as our undisputed #1? Because this offseason is Huets chance to get paid, and I don't see why he would sign with us short term, what with Price on his heels even for 1 year and alot of money (like let's say 5 mill). I fully expect Huet to keep it up down the stretch and play well enough that we win a series, and this team is very capable of that. If this happens someone will offer him 16 mill over 4 years or so. And with Price there I wouldn't give Huet that kind of cash.

So who do think will be our goalies next season. Price will more than likely be there, but considering the type of contender I expect us to be next year, not sure if I'd be willing to have two youngsters, so I doubt Halak would be the backup. So my question is, what do we do with Halak, and who do we have competing with Price for the #1 job?

I personally don't think Price will be ready to jump into the #1 job even next year. He has at least 2 years in the AHL ahead of him in my eyes. He wasn't great in his stint with the Habs at the first of the year. There wasn't one game that he played where he was the difference. He played solid, but he never stood out or made unbelievable saves to win the game for the Habs.

I think the ideal solution would be to re-sign Huet for 2 years at about $3.75 mil a year, have Halak backing him up while Price plays full time in Hamilton to get his game on track. By the time Huets 2 years are up, Price should be ready to make the jump and him and Halak can be a solid tandem for the next 4 or 5 years.

But as for Price and Halak being the goaltenders next season, I think we would be taking a huge step backwards by using them. Neither of them are the calibre of goalie that Huet is and neither of them have the ability to stop 40 shots a game and only allow 2 or 3 goals against. Huet is the sole reason for the Habs winning some games, if it wasn't for him....we would lose by big scores a lot of the time, but he keeps us in the game everytime he is in net and to let him just walk away at the end of this season and rely on Price and Halak is a big step backwards.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Before July 1st 2008, Huet will sign a contract renewal with the Habs and won't get near what Bryz is getting. There are many differences between the two and people who like to play matching games, like to match as most as possible rather than truly finding all attributes that might be the same or different. Just the fact Bryz is 28 and Huet 32, is putting far enough apart to consider there will be nio comparison between the two comes negociation time.

I still hold to my prediction that Huet will sign before July 1st, for a max of 4 mil per season for 3-4 years.

Only one person dared put a wager on that (Habs signing Huet before 01-07-2008), and it wasn't even money....

Anybody cares to put money where their mouth is?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Lone Rogue

Huet will stay. He'll ask for a no trade clause to likely ensure that if Price does usurp him in a year or so for the starting job, he can choose his next home. He will still take a very affordable contract for a goaltender, and the only provision I think would maybe make it top heavy.

3-4 years, 6 million in the first year, 4 in the second, 3 in the third and 2 in the fourth. 4 years, $15 Mil. Pretty safe contract.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Maxpac

the future is so bright here ,i really don't see how even at where we're at in the standings Huet cannot be traded away by the deadline, He has ALOT of value right now since he will be probably the only premier goaltender available, if he's able to fetch us a bluechip prospect or a 1st pick imo he's good to go. We're not cup contenders this year, our team is too young and i would much rather give the experience to Price even if it means getting kicked off in the 1st round, we have a very young time with alot of inexperiene players in NHL playoffs

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Huet will stay. He'll ask for a no trade clause to likely ensure that if Price does usurp him in a year or so for the starting job, he can choose his next home. He will still take a very affordable contract for a goaltender, and the only provision I think would maybe make it top heavy.

3-4 years, 6 million in the first year, 4 in the second, 3 in the third and 2 in the fourth. 4 years, $15 Mil. Pretty safe contract.

YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT????

How does a guy who only plays 40-50 games a year earn $6 million a year???? Don't get me wrong, I like Huet and think he is an incredible goalie, but Marty Brodeur doesn't even make $6 million a year and he plays 70+ games a year.

Huet will earn $4 million a season at the most, but I think his real salary will be somewhere between $3.5 and $4 million for about 2 years. That will give him the #1 job until Price is ready to take over and then Huet will be able to move on to another team.

If he had played 70 games the last 3 seasons and had a record well above .500 with a few shutouts, GAA around 2.30 and a save percentage around .920 then I may agree with him getting $6 million a year, but he is injured too often to earn that type of money!!!!

Old
01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I would overpay Huet on a short term contract, if it were me. give him $5M each for 2 years, and revisit the issue in 2 more seasons (not coincidentally when Price's rookie contract expires).

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Doctor House

I would wait before offering Huet a contract. Let see how he holds up for the rest of the season.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:

I think NHL rules say that a contract can't be front or back loaded more than 20% per year so your numbers would have to be adjusted.... that said I would take a 4 year $15 mill deal for Huet. Ideally I'd like a three year deal, but if Huet Insists on 4 I would give it to him knowing that he is a dependable goalie, that Price can split games with him and develop with a veteran teacher, and that when Price is ready there will always be someone out there willing to take Huet off your hands.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:40 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'll start off by saying that considering where we are in the standings and how well Huet is playing, that there is no way we trade him at the deadline.
Would you be willing to go into next season with Price as our undisputed #1? Because this offseason is Huets chance to get paid, and I don't see why he would sign with us short term, what with Price on his heels even for 1 year and alot of money (like let's say 5 mill). I fully expect Huet to keep it up down the stretch and play well enough that we win a series, and this team is very capable of that. If this happens someone will offer him 16 mill over 4 years or so. And with Price there I wouldn't give Huet that kind of cash.

So who do think will be our goalies next season. Price will more than likely be there, but considering the type of contender I expect us to be next year, not sure if I'd be willing to have two youngsters, so I doubt Halak would be the backup. So my question is, what do we do with Halak, and who do we have competing with Price for the #1 job?
To me this is a simple answer. We have to sign Huet before he hits the FA market, and we should give him 4 years if he wants it.

This keeps the team competetive next year, with no question marks in goal. We would still have plenty of cap space left over to sign a Free Agent ourselves.

Also, Huet will be highly tradeable, so it gives us a valuable chip to use in 1-2-3 years whenever Price or Halak takes over. This also gives Price time to develop, without pressure, and Halak maybe get a chance to proce himself.

It's a no brainer really.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Booky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Before July 1st 2008, Huet will sign a contract renewal with the Habs and won't get near what Bryz is getting. There are many differences between the two and people who like to play matching games, like to match as most as possible rather than truly finding all attributes that might be the same or different. Just the fact Bryz is 28 and Huet 32, is putting far enough apart to consider there will be nio comparison between the two comes negociation time.

I still hold to my prediction that Huet will sign before July 1st, for a max of 4 mil per season for 3-4 years.

Only one person dared put a wager on that (Habs signing Huet before 01-07-2008), and it wasn't even money....

Anybody cares to put money where their mouth is?
How is he gonna get less than Bryzgalov?

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I think NHL rules say that a contract can't be front or back loaded more than 20% per year so your numbers would have to be adjusted.... that said I would take a 4 year $15 mill deal for Huet. Ideally I'd like a three year deal, but if Huet Insists on 4 I would give it to him knowing that he is a dependable goalie, that Price can split games with him and develop with a veteran teacher, and that when Price is ready there will always be someone out there willing to take Huet off your hands.

Gawd, Beaker... This is EXACTLY what I've been preaching over the last few months. Knowing Silent Bob's usual conservative stance, the odds are Huet will stay here at about the numbers You, Baseballcoach, Lone Rogue and I have previously mentionned here and on other threads.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:44 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT????

How does a guy who only plays 40-50 games a year earn $6 million a year???? Don't get me wrong, I like Huet and think he is an incredible goalie, but Marty Brodeur doesn't even make $6 million a year and he plays 70+ games a year.

Huet will earn $4 million a season at the most, but I think his real salary will be somewhere between $3.5 and $4 million for about 2 years. That will give him the #1 job until Price is ready to take over and then Huet will be able to move on to another team.
I agree with your salary estimate.

But just wanted to point out that Huet is on course for 55+ games this year.

36 games remaining, he has 29 played now. Should be able to pick up 25-30 more games barring injury.

Either way, we'll be in a better position to judge after the playoffs.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:

This doesn't make sense for either side, barring a deal involving Price.
From the Habs POV, assuming Price progresses as expected, he will get a sizeable raise for the 2010 season when his entry-level contract expires. I would conservatively estimate he'll earn 3-4 mil/season, depending on what he's done at that point, and the length of his contract. If he signs long-term, that figure will be significantly higher. For the Habs to keep 2 goalies at about 4 mil would be quite excessive, especially with the other youngsters they will need to re-sign.
From Huet's POV, I doubt he signs a long-term contract with the knowledge that he won't be the Habs long-term starter. As a proven commodity, he'll get money on the market, and likely have the chance to play 50+ games, which won't be happening here (for very long anyway).
If he's willing to agree to a 2 yr contract, which would expire when Price's deal expires, I would jump at the opportunity, no matter what the cost. That being said, I doubt it. At 32, this is his best chance, maybe his last chance, to sign a lucrative long-term deal. The older he gets, the less likely teams will be willing to throw big money at him.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booky View Post
How is he gonna get less than Bryzgalov?

You really think I'm gonna give away my tricks of the trade in analysing this sorta stuff..... Take a good long hard look at both their careers, where they are at, the connections with their team, their stats (and not JUST their stats, ahem), their accomplishments and especially their past actions (on many fronts, as contract negociation and interpersonal realtionship with the team). There are so many factors that come into play... But if playing the matching game makes you hold on to your hopes, be my guess, I truly couldn't care less.

If you think you're so smart and know-it-all, thinking that contract comparison plays such a HUGE part in negociations, why not put money where your mouth is.

The only one who had the guts to do so is the poster named Lafleurs Guy.

What makes you so sure Huet cares more about equaling Bryz's salary than staying in Montreal? Cuz if we look at the past, Huet tends more to go with compromise to stay here rather than going out for the big bucks.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I personally don't think Price will be ready to jump into the #1 job even next year. He has at least 2 years in the AHL ahead of him in my eyes. He wasn't great in his stint with the Habs at the first of the year. There wasn't one game that he played where he was the difference. He played solid, but he never stood out or made unbelievable saves to win the game for the Habs.

I think the ideal solution would be to re-sign Huet for 2 years at about $3.75 mil a year, have Halak backing him up while Price plays full time in Hamilton to get his game on track. By the time Huets 2 years are up, Price should be ready to make the jump and him and Halak can be a solid tandem for the next 4 or 5 years.

But as for Price and Halak being the goaltenders next season, I think we would be taking a huge step backwards by using them. Neither of them are the calibre of goalie that Huet is and neither of them have the ability to stop 40 shots a game and only allow 2 or 3 goals against. Huet is the sole reason for the Habs winning some games, if it wasn't for him....we would lose by big scores a lot of the time, but he keeps us in the game everytime he is in net and to let him just walk away at the end of this season and rely on Price and Halak is a big step backwards.
How about every. single. game. vs. the. Leafs.

Price was the only reason we won those games, he made 40+ saves in almost, if not all, of those games vs. Toronto.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
I agree with your salary estimate.

But just wanted to point out that Huet is on course for 55+ games this year.

36 games remaining, he has 29 played now. Should be able to pick up 25-30 more games barring injury.

Either way, we'll be in a better position to judge after the playoffs.

Yeah and if he plays 55+ games then great, he'll deserve to be paid accordingly. But his track record tells us that he may get injured again before the season is out and miss more time and if thats the case how can we justify handing over $6 million to him???

Goalies like Nabokov, Kipper, Brodeur, Luongo and Dipietro are guys who play close to 70 games a year and they earn between $5 and $7.5 million a year for doing so. They are good goalies, they are reliable and they give the team a chance to win every game. Huet is in their class because he is a good goalie too and he always give the Habs a chance to win every game, but he doesn't play the games those other guys play so how can he deserve their money?

But your right, we'll be able to judge better after the playoffs if he can stay healthy from here on out.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
Also, Huet will be highly tradeable, so it gives us a valuable chip to use in 1-2-3 years whenever Price or Halak takes over. This also gives Price time to develop, without pressure, and Halak maybe get a chance to proce himself.
The market for goaltenders is pretty thin. I don't know what you would get for Huet now, let alone in 2-3 seasons. This is mentioned in several posts. Anaheim had to waive Bryzgalov b/c there were no takers on the trade front. Don't assume we'll be able to move a 34-35 yr old goaltender so easily and get great return.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Licou

I may be alone but I really want Huet to be in net for like 40-50 games next season. Price won't be 100% ready next season in my opinion.

I think giving a short front loader contract to Huet migth be good to lure him off here. Something like 2 years : 5 milion, 2,5 million . An other year at 2,5 - 3 million would be fine too.

My wishfull intuition tells me Huet wants to stay here...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Price was the only reason we won those games, he made 40+ saves in almost, if not all, of those games vs. Toronto.
Well I don't know if he was the only reason. Our forwards had to score scored 4 or 5 goals in a couple of those games. He was good against TO though, I agree.

Old
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

So you think Price is ready to be an NHL starter because he played 2 good games against the 28th ranked team in the league????? Makes a lot of sense....NOPE!!!!

Give your head a shake. Price is not ready for the NHL yet, otherwise he wouldnt have been sent down to Hamilton??? Halak is way ahead of him as far as being ready for NHL action. Halak played well last year when Huet was injured, he provided solid goaltending since Abby couldn't get the job done. Price had the same chance this season when Huet went down and he didn't do near as well as Halak did last year and we have a much better team this year than last year, so if anything that just proves that Halak is ahead of Price.

I know your a Price fan and that you don't care for Huet, but your arguement holds no water as far as I'm concerned!!!

Old
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Well I don't know if he was the only reason. Our forwards had to score scored 4 or 5 goals in a couple of those games. He was good against TO though, I agree.

Exactly....Price wasn't the only person on the ice in those games, the team really played well for about 40 minutes of both games Price played against the Leafs and thats most of the reason why they were good games. Huet is very very capable of doing just as good or better than Price did in those games if the team in front of him decide to give the same effort.

Old
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesomma View Post
The market for goaltenders is pretty thin. I don't know what you would get for Huet now, let alone in 2-3 seasons. This is mentioned in several posts. Anaheim had to waive Bryzgalov b/c there were no takers on the trade front. Don't assume we'll be able to move a 34-35 yr old goaltender so easily and get great return.
You won't get much now, cause he's UFA. As a signed player, with 1-2 years left on his contract, it's a much better value. And we would look to trade early in the season, or during the off season, when players have higher value in general.

Also, Huet is a late bloomer, and is probably on his strongest year right now, as far as consistency and longevity goes. I see no signs of him slowing down.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that he'll still be a top goalie in 2-3 years, and would have a good value for a stuggling team in the West.

Also, in 2010-2011, $4mill for a great goalie will be dirt cheap.

Old
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Habitants

ok here is what I predict will happen.

as much as i dislike Huet, the habs should sign him this summer. give him a 4 year 16 mil contract, hopefully he accepts that.then he is the starting goalie for next year.

as mentioned Halak would need to clear waivers next season to go down or up. so keep him as backup all the time, and there is no problem.

This leaves price in Hamilton for more work.

as the trade deadline approaches NEXT season, assess the situation, and see if Price is able to come up and start, or if Halak can be starter.

Trade Huet at the deadline next season or before depending on Halak/Price progress.

feel sily for signing him then trading him not long after, but i feel that this is what will happen...

i feel bad for Yan Danis, who has some potential in the NHL, and will never make it with the habs. they should trade him to another team if they can.

And for the love of god would carbo give Halak a start already this season!? He played pretty good for them down the stretch last year while huet was out!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Booky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You really think I'm gonna give away my tricks of the trade in analysing this sorta stuff..... Take a good long hard look at both their careers, where they are at, the connections with their team, their stats (and not JUST their stats, ahem), their accomplishments and especially their past actions (on many fronts, as contract negociation and interpersonal realtionship with the team). There are so many factors that come into play... But if playing the matching game makes you hold on to your hopes, be my guess, I truly couldn't care less.

If you think you're so smart and know-it-all, thinking that contract comparison plays such a HUGE part in negociations, why not put money where your mouth is.

The only one who had the guts to do so is the poster named Lafleurs Guy.

What makes you so sure Huet cares more about equaling Bryz's salary than staying in Montreal? Cuz if we look at the past, Huet tends more to go with compromise to stay here rather than going out for the big bucks.
And that argument is just supporting Huet cause.
Carrying the team for the past 3 years.
What did Bryz accomplish to receive such a lucrative contract ?

Goalies to have signed an extension over the past few months:
Kipper : 35 M $ over 6 years
Osgood: 4,25 M $ over 3 years
Mason : 6 M $ over 2 years
Toskala : 8M $ over 2 years
Bryz: 12,75 M $ over 3 years

Huet is MUCH better than Mason and Toskala.
His comparable would be Bryz. and if was his agent i would push for a Kipper comparison (far fetched...)
So a 15 M $ for 3 years seems very reasonable.

BTW you should read this thread again to read the prvious posts i made.
PS: Be respectfull when you post, i kinda felt insulted OZ
Although i still like you...

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
You won't get much now, cause he's UFA. As a signed player, with 1-2 years left on his contract, it's a much better value. And we would look to trade early in the season, or during the off season, when players have higher value in general.

Also, Huet is a late bloomer, and is probably on his strongest year right now, as far as consistency and longevity goes. I see no signs of him slowing down.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that he'll still be a top goalie in 2-3 years, and would have a good value for a stuggling team in the West.

Also, in 2010-2011, $4mill for a great goalie will be dirt cheap.
You're right, as a signed player he will have more value, but I still wouldn't consider him 'highly tradeable' and I don't think we'll get all that much coming back.
And 4 mil in 2010 may or may not be dirt cheap. That'll depend on whether the cap goes up or down. Keep in mind it's decided by revenue and though it's gone up the last 2 yrs, we'll see if that continues. There are a lot of teams struggling with fan support, even some of the big market teams, and that is never a good sign.