HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards penalty was done on purpose by Kovy

Old
04-25-2008, 07:16 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
Richards penalty was done on purpose by Kovy

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

«J'ai senti que Richards avait figé devant moi alors que je transportais la rondelle, a expliqué Kovalev à propos de l'infraction. J'ai fait mine d'aller vers l'extérieur, mais j'ai recoupé vers le centre.

«J'avais bon espoir qu'il morde et que je le force à écoper d'une punition.»

I felt that Richards was frozen in front of me while I was carrying the puck, explained Kovalev about the infraction. I faked to the outside and cut towards the center.

I was hopeful that he would bite and that I force him to get a penalty.

That should get the anti-Habs legions stirred up.

Edit, it probably was a knee-on-knee, because Kovy intended it to be. That what he was aiming for.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:19 AM
couris

I do not see the problem?

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

richards was dead once kovy got him to freeze. You're aksing for trouble when you stop moving your feet, its a penalty waiting to happen. Even though there looked to be knee on knee contact in real time, the replay proved it wasn't. Regrdless, his stick did trip kovalev.

The right call was made. But the replay proved that the penalty wasn't as blatant as it seemed in real time.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:24 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

It isn't a problem for Hab fans, but makes Richards less of a culprit.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
I do not see the problem?
I guess you haven't been reading the threads outside the Canadiens forum, then. It's hard to find a Flyer fan on the board last night and today who isn't whining about that call, claiming it was a clean shoulder check (when they're not whining about the supposed high stick goal of Kovalev that is). They never trailed in regulation time, had a 3-2 lead going into the last minute, but it's all the referee's fault they lost. Losers

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Orange

Quote:
Edit, it probably was a knee-on-knee, because Kovy intended it to be. That what he was aiming for.
Way out of context. Kovalev said he cought Richards in a bad position and the only way Richards could stop him was by taking a penalty, which he did. That's what good players do, they make the other team take penalties.

Talk about manufacturing a controversy.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Doctor House

I call it Kapitalizing.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:22 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
All he's saying in that quote is that he knew he had put Richards in a position where he was very likely to take a penalty. Which is the truth.

Richards was beat and instinctively through his knee and stick out. It was a clearcut penalty.

It's almost funny the way everyone is starting to hate our team. It's a compliment more than anything right?

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHab View Post
All he's saying in that quote is that he knew he had put Richards in a position where he was very likely to take a penalty. Which is the truth.

Richards was beat and instinctively through his knee and stick out. It was a clearcut penalty.

It's almost funny the way everyone is starting to hate our team. It's a compliment more than anything right?
So the Leafs should be happy they are hated.....

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I guess you haven't been reading the threads outside the Canadiens forum, then. It's hard to find a Flyer fan on the board last night and today who isn't whining about that call, claiming it was a clean shoulder check (when they're not whining about the supposed high stick goal of Kovalev that is). They never trailed in regulation time, had a 3-2 lead going into the last minute, but it's all the referee's fault they lost. Losers
That's a pretty blatant call, at least the most blatant of all the penalities called last night except maybe the Kostitsyn one(penlaity shot).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:30 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Kovalev 1, Flyers 0.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:31 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
Bitter aren't we?
I know right? Just ignore them and laugh.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
Bitter aren't we?
If Boston says we dive, it must be true. They're experts on the subject. Lucic-Savard make one hell of a synchronized diving duo.

Old
04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
It isn't a problem for Hab fans, but makes Richards less of a culprit.
GME, doesn't it as easily say, I forced him to try and stop me ? Any time you break free, like A.Kost., you want to eithert have a scoring chance or draw a penalty.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
If Boston says we dive, it must be true. They're experts on the subject. Lucic-Savard make one hell of a synchronized diving duo.
That duo would be money.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
In all honesty, I don't consider Lucic a diver. But he did drop like a fly on a play very similar to Reich trip on Markov (I don't consider Markov a diver either). So by Boston's standards that makes Lucic a diver. I'm just holding you guys to your own standards.
Markov has a flair for embellishment. It's not as bad as when he joined the team. I think they may have given him the old Claude Lemieux treatment from years gone by, when the training staff didn't exactly speed out when he was down. I love having him, but he is what he is.

And yeah, Lucic definitely flopped on that tripping penalty, to, I believe Plekanec, as did Murray on a Hamrlik penalty. Players do it, some players do it too much. S.Kost was blatant in an instance against the B's, but he'll learn, or he'll get a rep. and have a tough time getting fair calls.

It's taken Kovalev a long time to be treated fairly since his exploits in the 94 playoffs. There are refs that never forgave him for that.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

«J'ai senti que Richards avait figé devant moi alors que je transportais la rondelle, a expliqué Kovalev à propos de l'infraction. J'ai fait mine d'aller vers l'extérieur, mais j'ai recoupé vers le centre.

«J'avais bon espoir qu'il morde et que je le force à écoper d'une punition.»

I felt that Richards was frozen in front of me while I was carrying the puck, explained Kovalev about the infraction. I faked to the outside and cut towards the center.

I was hopeful that he would bite and that I force him to get a penalty.

That should get the anti-Habs legions stirred up.

It's no different than hitting a guy while he is down and hoping he retaliates by swing his stick and slashing you? Players lure players into penalty situations all the time, it is no different that utilizing your speed and forcing a player to trip or hold you.

Kovy made him bite, it's not like he dived.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Judge Sauer*

Kovy's a giftedly skilled player, he knows when he has someone beat, he knew he had Richards dead to rights on the play. He made the extra move knowing that he's either going to blow by him or that Richards was going to get himself in penalty trouble trying to stop him. Richards bit on the extra move and stopped his legs from moving to block Kovys momentum, he did go for a hit, but the combo of stick in Kovys legs and his own leg sticking out got him nabbed for tripping.
I didn't view it as a knee-on-knee at all whether it was intentional or accidental, he was caught slew footed and got himself some alone time where some jerk-off threw a beer at him. Can we finally give this a rest or will it keep going until 6:59 on Saturday?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Kovy is a genius.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Markov has a flair for embellishment. It's not as bad as when he joined the team. I think they may have given him the old Claude Lemieux treatment from years gone by, when the training staff didn't exactly speed out when he was down. I love having him, but he is what he is.

And yeah, Lucic definitely flopped on that tripping penalty, to, I believe Plekanec, as did Murray on a Hamrlik penalty. Players do it, some players do it too much. S.Kost was blatant in an instance against the B's, but he'll learn, or he'll get a rep. and have a tough time getting fair calls.

It's taken Kovalev a long time to be treated fairly since his exploits in the 94 playoffs. There are refs that never forgave him for that.

Embellishment is so subjective though. I'll never debate whether a player embellished on a tripping call if the call is warranted. I won't consider a player a diver because he fell after being tripped. I feel it's a cop out to try and criticize the ref's decision.

Old
04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Unspoken

Quote:
Way out of context. Kovalev said he cought Richards in a bad position and the only way Richards could stop him was by taking a penalty, which he did. That's what good players do, they make the other team take penalties.

Talk about manufacturing a controversy.
Totally agree with this.

The OP's interpretation of what Kovalev said is flawed.

When a player makes a mistake and loses his man, he has two choices either he lets him go and hope for the best (no goal) or he takes a penalty to stop the player from getting a scoring chance.

Richards decided it was too risky at this point to allow Kovalev to get a scoring chance.

Kovalev is an experienced player. He knew perfectly that he was putting Richards in this dilemma. That is what he was explaining in the Cyberpresse article.

There's no diving here and imho, Richards used his knee.

Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Habber

I can accept the argument that it wasn't a knee, as it was close and I don't think there was any intent by Richards to knee Kovy.

But...it was clearly a trip, no doubt about it. Richards lost body position on Kovy, and then stuck out his leg to take Kovy down. I don't see the point in debating whether it was a knee, because it was definitely a penalty regardless.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
What happened ?

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Capitano

That's how legit penalties are called, when players force other guys to take them down because they can't stop them.

That was a direct knee on knee collision too...I'm just glad Kovy is ok.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Richards should have kept moving his feet

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote