HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Koivu still be a hab at deadline?

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Will Koivu still be a hab at deadline?

Hey guys,

First of im gona point out that this is NOT a Koivu bashing thread or a Rib vs Koivu thread. So dont go on and bash this thread, just think for a minute and see if you agree or not with what im saying (in a peaceful manour)

Recently im starting to get the feeling that Koivu is not gona be a hab for long. I really think that he is gona be gone by the end of the season, and i think its gona be for a bigger centre or a goal scoring winger.

Now for the reasons why i think he will be gone, his game is just not at the same level as last season. I know he is putting up some decent numbers this year, but he just does not seem to be playing at the same levela and intensity as last season. I love koivu, believe me, ive been watching this guys since he was drafted. But i think (not hope or wish) his time is done here. Koivu also does not seem as happy anymore, i duno maybe im wrong, but thats the feeling im getting.

If he does end up going at the dead line, i can only wish him the best of luck and hope that he has a great carrer.

Thoughts!

Old
01-26-2004, 04:49 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
The only pictures or camera shots I see of him are usually from RDS, where they 'happen' to have him sulking or looking a little bit, well, 'off'. I think there may be some truth to the rumors about he he's not all that happy about Ribeiro's attention, but can you blame him? He leaves everything he's got out there, he plays where Coach tells him to (see: powerplay) and he's making things happen with less than stellar linemates, yet everything he does is brutally critized and corrupted by the french media in praise of Ribeiro.

Sure, Ribeiro's great but, all in all, we trade Saku Koivu we will not only miss the playoffs, but we will regret the move in the same we regret the trading of Turgeon, Recchi, Damphouse, Roy, and Chelios for less than stellar players who will never have the impact on the team of the man they are being swapped for.

In a word : Yes.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Darz

I don't think BG is even considering moving Koivu.
My reasons:

1. BG came out and stated he isn't making any big trades, and moving Koivu, imo, would have to be considered a HUGE move. I understand when a GM states he isn't making a move, it's usually just hot air, but I consider Gainey a different breed than most.

2. I don't think Gainey could get the return that he would want to move Koivu. With Koivu's history or injuries, I think teams would shy away from offering the ransom that Gainey would demand for Koivu. When you rob a team of it's heart you better be paying top dollar.

3. I think if the habs were to trade Koivu to fill another weakness, they would be filling a weakness and creating one at the same time. Ribiero has played well this year, but this team looks alot better with him in the two spot and Koivu in the one spot. I think Ribiero is best suited for the 2nd line than the first. I also don't think a team is going to trade an equally good #1 centre for Koivu straight up, so....

4. The team has had some really success this year (please remember the last two games are only 2 games of an 82 game season) and trading Koivu would be a major shakeup. It doesn't make sense for a team like the habs to pull the trigger on a major shakeup at this point.

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Hey guys,

First of im gona point out that this is NOT a Koivu bashing thread or a Rib vs Koivu thread. So dont go on and bash this thread, just think for a minute and see if you agree or not with what im saying (in a peaceful manour)

Recently im starting to get the feeling that Koivu is not gona be a hab for long. I really think that he is gona be gone by the end of the season, and i think its gona be for a bigger centre or a goal scoring winger.

Now for the reasons why i think he will be gone, his game is just not at the same level as last season. I know he is putting up some decent numbers this year, but he just does not seem to be playing at the same levela and intensity as last season. I love koivu, believe me, ive been watching this guys since he was drafted. But i think (not hope or wish) his time is done here. Koivu also does not seem as happy anymore, i duno maybe im wrong, but thats the feeling im getting.

If he does end up going at the dead line, i can only wish him the best of luck and hope that he has a great carrer.

Thoughts!
http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/HO...N40142B22.html
Plusieurs joueurs populaires manquaient à l'appel, dont le capitaine Saku Koivu et la nouvelle vedette Sheldon Souray.

Patrice Brisebois, Craig Rivet, Joé Juneau et Andreas Dackell étaient les autres absents.

On a assuré qu'ils soignaient tous de petits bobos ou malaises. Mais le plus mal en point de tous, Jason Ward, était pourtant sur la glace et nul doute que les partisans auraient aimé voir leurs joueurs préférés sur la patinoire, surtout qu'ils étaient sur place au Centre Bell et qu'il s'agissait d'un entraînement très léger.

Basically, Koivu and Souray played like crap last game because they were sick or injured. Either that or BG is planning a blockbuster trade involving Saku, Sheldon, Patrice, Craig, Joe and Audreas :p.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
As far as I'm concerned, I think Koivu will be the one ending the streak of captains leaving the team before the end of their career. I truly believe this little guy is the heart and soul of the Habs and actually stands for everything the fans believe in: determination, courage, strong work ethic and heart.

IMHO, Koivu will end his career in a Habs jersey as he is still a croud favorite (even though some journalists want us to believe otherwise).

Old
HABitude

Agree with Darz post.

I dont think it will happen. You may watch RDS too much and beleive their influence is getting into Habs lookeroom and BG's office. As Perron said many times, you don't know Gainey. All that media pressure have NO effect with Gainey. Gainey is stronger than all that pressure and influence. He's the boss, he have his own view over things.

I beleive Koivu doesn't have a high trading value (because of his injury history, he's a high risk player), so Koivu have a higher value here, and don't forget Koivu did averything CJ asked him to do - for the team - so please take these feelings with a grain of salt, or realism.

... and a thread like this is considered like an open insult, if you get bashed and etc, don't complain after, you've been running for it.

Old
august

I hope we never trade Saku. He is the hearth and soul of the team, one of most underated captain.

Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thoughts!
I am not going to try to comment on this, this kind a thread is posted every week by someone who apparently loves Koivu, but thinks the team would be better without him. Koivu is here to stay. I am so happy that Gainey is the manager and not some Ribeiro-is-better-than-Gretzky “fan”. :mad:

Old
01-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Haddock

Koivu is here to stay. He is the heart and soul of this team and should not be traded under any circumstance. Not only that' he is a very good player. We could keep him just because of his history with the team and the leadership he brings on the ice and in the locker room but he also plays really really well. I don't think Bob Gainey will trade the Habs captain for silly reasons.

Quote:
Posted by jl.roberts
yet everything he does is brutally critized and corrupted by the french media in praise of Ribeiro.
Do you care to prove this attack on the french media? Or are you just one of those guys who bash anything french anyway?
If the media in montréal are praising Ribeiro right now it's because he's having a career year and he is the best player on the ice almost every night. He has 41 points in 49 games, he's playing very well. If the guy was named Joe Smith he would get the same attention. A good young hockey player gets attention.
Koivu is not treated badly by the french media more than other players are.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Mooch

Hey guys,

Thanks for replying. Actually i live in TO and the only thing i watch is sportsnet TSN,and the score. I dont speak french or understand it. im indian, and plus i dont even get RDS.

Anyways i havent been infleuned by any media. Im just getting the feeling based on his performance. Koivu doesnt seem too comfortable on the ice. He seems like a guy that knows something is gona happen

Like i said i maybe wrong, which i sure hope is the case!

Old
01-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
I am not going to try to comment on this, this kind a thread is posted every week by someone who apparently loves Koivu, but thinks the team would be better without him. Koivu is here to stay. I am so happy that Gainey is the manager and not some Ribeiro-is-better-than-Gretzky “fan”. :mad:

Van-Hab i never said anything about trading Koivu. I knew somebody would start something new. All i said was i THINK koivu will be gone, NOT WILL be or SHOULD be. READ BETWEEN THE LINES MY FRIEND!

Old
01-26-2004, 06:11 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordiquesFan
Do you care to prove this attack on the french media?
I'm not sure how often you watch RDS broadcasts, but they're not afraid to toss out a little something on how 'Koivu's been playing poorly', or he's 'making too many mistakes'. The initial Koivu trade rumours were started by a bunch of classless, foolish morons on RDS.ca, CKAC, and 110%. Even Yvon Pedneault, who is a good broadcaster and a respectable journalist in my opinion, had to take his shots at Saku earlier on this season.

Quote:
Or are you just one of those guys who bash anything french anyway?
Of course not. It just so happens that I disagree with a lot of hockey related opinions regarding the Habs, many which seem to take place around French Canadian players. I love the city of Montreal, and I feel I'm only stating the truth when Koivu tends to get a lot more crap from the French media than the English media.

Quote:
If the media in montréal are praising Ribeiro right now it's because he's having a career year and he is the best player on the ice almost every night. He has 41 points in 49 games, he's playing very well.
Of course he's playing well, but what gets on my nerves is every single time he touches the pick it is overly exagerated by the likes of RDS et al. He's fun to watch and he's playing well, but he's not a great hockey player by any means n'or is he the best player on the ice most nights. The Montreal media have always praised Ribeiro, even when he was received 4:00 of ice a game, skated worse than a pig with a hernia, and couldn't lift his own stick.

Quote:
If the guy was named Joe Smith he would get the same attention. A good young hockey player gets attention.
I agree, Markov and Ryder were heavily praised. Mind you, in the case of Koivu-Ribeiro, we have an exceptionally talented captain who is getting shafted by the media because he is being trailed, and is quite heavily outplaying mind you, a talented youngster from Quebec who's stickhandling blinds the media into thinking he is a saviour.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:15 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Van-Hab i never said anything about trading Koivu. I knew somebody would start something new. All i said was i THINK koivu will be gone, NOT WILL be or SHOULD be. READ BETWEEN THE LINES MY FRIEND!
I didn't get your point man
When you said gone did you mean just gone for a vacation like "brisebois-gone-to-france" gone

Old
01-26-2004, 06:17 PM
mcphee

I was just wondering, how are people who don't speak or read French, such experts on what the "French media" has to say ? there is sensationalist stuff going on everywhere. With print,TV and talk radio, the competition is pretty fierce, these days.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
I didn't get your point man
When you said gone did you mean just gone for a vacation like "brisebois-gone-to-france" gone

No i meant gone as in traded, not gone as in vacation

Old
01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
If he reads these boards, he'll need a vacation soon enough anyways: overexertion from laughing.

Last edited by Kerberos: 01-26-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old
01-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Haddock

I have to agree about the morons on RDS.ca if your refering to the posters there and not the journalists. These fans there are childish to the extreme.
CKAC has some good and bad people working there but they mainly discuss things, they don't start rumors. Ron Fournier had a show about the state of Koivu with the Habs but in no way did he advocate for his departure. There was discussions just like there's discussions here.
110% is the stupidest show on tv and everyone there should be shot !
Pednault is not the only one who took a shot at Koivu earlier this year. A guy named Bob Gainey said his play was under his expectations and Koivu should step up a notch.

Ribeiro gets the praises because he plays well and it's been a while since we had a guy with good hands like that. All in all, I agree with you on the basics. Koivu is good and should not be traded. Some journalist might have fallen in love with Ribs but it doesn't mean Koivu is being attacked on a regular basis. And it's not only the french media. The Gazette, CJAD800 and the TEAM990 fall on the same pattern.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
well you contradict yourself my friend you also said:
"Van-Hab i never said anything about trading Koivu. I knew somebody would start something new. All i said was i THINK koivu will be gone, NOT WILL be or SHOULD be. READ BETWEEN THE LINES MY FRIEND!"

Old
01-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Mooch

You know what i meant Van-Hab

Jeez some people, this is the last Koivu thread ill ever do

Old
01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:

I think this would be best.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:37 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Hum... wouldn't that qualify as reading too much between the lines? I mean you do want him to take your message at face value, and not jump to conclusions, right?

Old
01-26-2004, 06:47 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

Hope you'd be followed by other people

Old
01-26-2004, 06:50 PM
All-Star

Quote:

Rule of Thumb:

"Koivu Threads" are good; "Trade Koivu Threads" (or any variation of) are bad...

Old
01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I was just wondering, how are people who don't speak or read French, such experts on what the "French media" has to say ? there is sensationalist stuff going on everywhere. With print,TV and talk radio, the competition is pretty fierce, these days.
You have a point mcphee!
First many posters here write perfect english and they are “québecois pure laine” (pure breed quebekers).
Some other posters are english speaking but they can read and understand french pretty good.
And some others are unilingual anglophones and can't understand everything in the French media, so they react (over-react) without really knowing what was said/ or written.

... talking of sensationalism, the most viewed hockey show is Hockey-Night Canada at cbc with Don Cherry comments between periods. Not many times we discuss about Don Cherry.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Not many times we discuss about Don Cherry.
There's a reason for that...

HE'S A FREAKING IDIOT!

Closed Thread