HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Future GM Neil Smith and Future Coach Mike Keenan

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 04:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Future GM Neil Smith and Future Coach Mike Keenan

Hmmm can these 2 come back to the Rangers? Imagine that. Id love for Smith and Keenan to come back to the Rangers. If that does happen, what would u guys think of it? GM Smith Coach Keenan wow just saying that has a winning feel around that.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:38 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
no I wish we could get a GM soundl in the mindset of rebuild and a coach with the mindset of "defense wins championships"

Old
01-26-2004, 04:41 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
no I wish we could get a GM soundl in the mindset of rebuild and a coach with the mindset of "defense wins championships"
hey at least smith and keenan won that cup in 94

Old
01-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Hmmm can these 2 come back to the Rangers? Imagine that. Id love for Smith and Keenan to come back to the Rangers. If that does happen, what would u guys think of it? GM Smith Coach Keenan wow just saying that has a winning feel around that.
The last several years I've called the Washington Redskins the "New York Rangers of football." I guess it would be fitting for us to be the "Washington Redskins of hockey" this year. Living in the past is appealing, but it usually doesn't turn out well.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:13 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Living in the past is appealing, but it usually doesn't turn out well.
True. Just ask Gatsby.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
The last several years I've called the Washington Redskins the "New York Rangers of football." I guess it would be fitting for us to be the "Washington Redskins of hockey" this year. Living in the past is appealing, but it usually doesn't turn out well.

Enter Joe Gibbs...

01-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Fletch

Smith and Keenan worked once...

the stars were alingned, and everything was perfect. It ain't the right time again, and that duo ain't the right pair. Keenan may be the right coach. He's the only one that would likely bench some of these fat cats - the downside is that he'd play Messier 20 minutes per night and would never bench him. But Malakhov's sorry butt, as well as Mironov's, would very well have been sat long ago, and we wouldn't see Hlavac turning any pucks over, except in practice.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Well, thats kind of on the right path.

We need to do what helped us win way back when. Find a guy who like Neil Smith, has worked in some capacity for a winning organization, and who is ready to make a name for himself. Someone hungry to win, not overconfident because of past success in the league. And a coach who knows today's game, who will not let the Veterans slide on their responsibilities.

A GM like Hedberg would be nice, or if Dolan can't figure it out, the least he could do was try and find a talented guy in Detroit, afterall, they know a thing or two about winning.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:54 PM
drewcon40

Bringing back Smith and Keenan would be just another PR move. They would run video highlights how thier magic worked in the past and thay are back to bring the Rangers another championship. We need a new GM and fresh start. Someone to tell Dolan that he is destroying this franchise. The GM should say, Jim, or Mr. Dolan, if you want playoff games and playoff revenue, here is what you need to do....

Before 1991, the Rangers made the playoffs (albeit there were less teams for 16 spots) every year. The fans showed up. There were no problems selling tickets. This was with Kelly Kisio as our captain!

Old
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Enter Joe Gibbs...
Darn right. Take it from me, both a 'Skins fan and a Rangers fan. Hiring Gibbs and letting him have the last word is a HUGE thing for Snyder. It's not just reaching into the past, although I would be lying if I said that it wasn't a part of that. Gibbs brings an instant accountability to the Redskins that has not been there, frankly since he left. Why do you think there was such a HUGE turnout of former players at the Gibbs press conference? They all said that Gibbs wants "characters w/ character". They all said that the days of ringing cell phones in meetings are over.
Hiring Gibbs sent out an immediate message to the players.
I bring it up becuase hiring Gibbs and giving him the last word was every bit as a pride-swallowing experience as hiring Parcells and giving him the last word, has to be for Jerry Jones. Dolan has not shown that he is capable of such humility. What Dolan has shown was that he is utterly cluless about the game and put his trust into the hands of a madman. A kind of equivalnet would firing Sather now, and letting Schonfeld, Maloney, and o'Rielly fun the show. And them waiting for the Blues to have their inevitable early playoff exit, and for the tandem of Quenville and Pleau to get fired. Them, with hat-in hand, begging for the duo to take over the Rangers and fixing it, however long it takes. Maybe play upon Pleua's Rangers roots.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Okay...I can understand people wanting Keenan back, after all it's been almost 10 years and people forget that he was one who helped contribute to several trades of Rangers property for veterans (of course they won the cup so he gets a pass).

But come on, you really want Neil Smith back? The guy who traded Mattias Norstrom, Ian Laperriere, Ray Ferraro, Nathan Lafayette and a 4th round pick for Kurri, McSorley and Churla?

Or how about Joey Kocur for Kay Whitmore?

Nedved and Zubov to Pittsburgh for Robitaille and Samuelsson? And then Kovalev to Pittsburgh later for Nedved?

Finley for Kenady...

Lost Cairns on waivers...

Signed Scott Fraser, Valeri Kamensky, Stephane Quintal, Brent Fedyk and Kirk McLean among others...

Under Smith the Rangers earned (or at the very least reinforced) their reputation for trading away their own for someone else's star.

Under Smith the following Ranger draftees were dealt away:
Alexei Kovalev
Tony Amonte
Doug Weight
Sergei Zubov
Sergei Nemchinov
Marc Savard
Dan Cloutier
Niklas Sundstrom
Todd Marchant
Mattias Norstrom

In fact by the end of the Smith era, the team had the following roster:

Derek Armstrong
Alexandre Daigle
Jason Dawe
Rob Dimaio
Jason Doig
Radek Dvorak
Theo Fleury
Daniel Goneau
Adam Graves
Kevin Hatcher
Jan Hlavac
Milan Hnilicka
Kim Johnsson
Valeri Kamensky
Chris Kenady
J-F Labbe
Eric Lacroix
Darren Langdon
Brian Leetch
Sylvain Lefebvre
John MacLean
Manny Malhotra
Kirk McLean
Petr Nedved
Rich Pilon
Dale Purinton
Stephane Quintal
Mike Richter
Mathieu Schneider
Kevin Stevens
PJ Stock
Tim Taylor
Terry Virtue
Johan Witehall
Michael York

Old
01-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Okay...I can understand people wanting Keenan back, after all it's been almost 10 years and people forget that he was one who helped contribute to several trades of Rangers property for veterans (of course they won the cup so he gets a pass).

But come on, you really want Neil Smith back? The guy who traded Mattias Norstrom, Ian Laperriere, Ray Ferraro, Nathan Lafayette and a 4th round pick for Kurri, McSorley and Churla?

Or how about Joey Kocur for Kay Whitmore?

Nedved and Zubov to Pittsburgh for Robitaille and Samuelsson? And then Kovalev to Pittsburgh later for Nedved?

Finley for Kenady...

Lost Cairns on waivers...

Signed Scott Fraser, Valeri Kamensky, Stephane Quintal, Brent Fedyk and Kirk McLean among others...

Under Smith the Rangers earned (or at the very least reinforced) their reputation for trading away their own for someone else's star.

Under Smith the following Ranger draftees were dealt away:
Alexei Kovalev
Tony Amonte
Doug Weight
Sergei Zubov
Sergei Nemchinov
Marc Savard
Dan Cloutier
Niklas Sundstrom
Todd Marchant
Mattias Norstrom

In fact by the end of the Smith era, the team had the following roster:

Derek Armstrong
Alexandre Daigle
Jason Dawe
Rob Dimaio
Jason Doig
Radek Dvorak
Theo Fleury
Daniel Goneau
Adam Graves
Kevin Hatcher
Jan Hlavac
Milan Hnilicka
Kim Johnsson
Valeri Kamensky
Chris Kenady
J-F Labbe
Eric Lacroix
Darren Langdon
Brian Leetch
Sylvain Lefebvre
John MacLean
Manny Malhotra
Kirk McLean
Petr Nedved
Rich Pilon
Dale Purinton
Stephane Quintal
Mike Richter
Mathieu Schneider
Kevin Stevens
PJ Stock
Tim Taylor
Terry Virtue
Johan Witehall
Michael York
Gretzky was on that team too don't forget.

And Gretzky was a big part of why we traded youth. We were looking for a win now, how could any team not with Messier & then Gretz as the franchise leader?
Then he did try to make a play for youth, although at the time the cupboard was pretty bare.

I don't put Smith in the some category as Sather. Slats could've started new, but he just did his version of what Smith had done earlier. Not too much changed when we made the GM switch. The good thing is the Dolan's wasted alot of money on Sather's contract too :p

Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-26-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old
01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Gretzky was on that team too don't forget.

And Gretzky was a big part of why we traded youth. We were looking for a win now, how could any team not with Messier & then Gretz as the franchise leader?
Then he did try to make a play for youth, although at the time the cupboard was pretty bare.

I don't put Smith in the some category as Sather. Slats could've started new, but he just did his version of what Smith had done earlier. Not too much changed when we made the GM switch. The good thing is the Dolan's wasted alot of money on Sather's contract too :p
Actually Gretzky retired the season before, so he wasn't on the roster at the time that Sather took over. Smith made a very late play for going with youth (the trading of Savard, Cloutier and Sundstrom for Hlavac, Lundmark and Brendl for instance), but had difficulty getting his young players into the line-up.

Smith also had a pretty horrible draft record in the later seasons of his regime...

I'm not defending Sather, he's done nothing for the NHL version of the Rangers which is the only benchmark worth looking at. I do think there have been some positive improvements in the system and the players they drafted, but we won't know for some time.

Ultimately neither has done the job and both have contributed in some way to the state...bottom line is I don't think we should be pining for the days of old with Smith running the ship and fighting his coach over how much ice time Manny Malhotra should get.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Actually Gretzky retired the season before, so he wasn't on the roster at the time that Sather took over. Smith made a very late play for going with youth (the trading of Savard, Cloutier and Sundstrom for Hlavac, Lundmark and Brendl for instance), but had difficulty getting his young players into the line-up.

Smith also had a pretty horrible draft record in the later seasons of his regime...

I'm not defending Sather, he's done nothing for the NHL version of the Rangers which is the only benchmark worth looking at. I do think there have been some positive improvements in the system and the players they drafted, but we won't know for some time.

Ultimately neither has done the job and both have contributed in some way to the state...bottom line is I don't think we should be pining for the days of old with Smith running the ship and fighting his coach over how much ice time Manny Malhotra should get.
Right, Smith had one year after Gretz, my mistake. But still, I thought Smith did a great job at the draft and was looking toward a future. Of course they weren't going to turn around overnight, giving Smith one year after Gretz was not enough time for him to show what he could do to bring in young bodies.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:56 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
As if Neil Smith deserves to come back. He was part of the cup winning team but we know who ran the show.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Fletch

Great points, Fish...

Smith ain't the guy...Sather ain't the guy...problem is, though, that there's nobody qualified to hire the right guy. If this team was owned by somebody who understood hockey, and cared about the organization, things would be different. Honestly, even if Sather were fired yesterday, does anybody have confidence in the 'owners' deciding who the right guy to be the GM is?

Old
01-26-2004, 04:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
As if Neil Smith deserves to come back. He was part of the cup winning team but we know who ran the show.
Mark Messier.

Closed Thread