HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cutting down a one-piece...

Old
01-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Bluefan75

vCash: 500
Cutting down a one-piece...

Not sure I am going to do it yet(will experiement with a shaft I can put an extension back if it doens't work), but if I do want to go to a shorter stick, what is the best way to cut down the composite? I'm thinking a wood saw would not be the preferred method in this case.....

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
if you have a band saw that's probably your best bet. as for how short/long it depends where you broke it. give yourself a few centimeters from the break point and you should be good.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Jose Corvo*

wood saw works for me, just make sure to sand or put tape over the sawed part so you don't get cut up or it tears your glove.

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
if you have a band saw that's probably your best bet. as for how short/long it depends where you broke it. give yourself a few centimeters from the break point and you should be good.
I guess I wans't overly clear. I was more talking about cutting down the length, making it a shorter stick.

I'll experiment with a shaft and blade I have that has a wood extension in there. I popped out the extension so I can go short. Was more checking how to best cut the one piece if I wanted to go a little shorter.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 09:17 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
I guess I wans't overly clear. I was more talking about cutting down the length, making it a shorter stick.

I'll experiment with a shaft and blade I have that has a wood extension in there. I popped out the extension so I can go short. Was more checking how to best cut the one piece if I wanted to go a little shorter.
Hack saw is the way to go, however, the more you cut down your stick, the stiffer the shaft will be. And i know you said you'd experiment, but you have 2 options in terms of a blade. Flip the stick around and try to put it in there, or depending where the taper ends, cut at the bottom until the shaft becomes the same size on the inside as it is wher eyou put your extension at the top. The length of the taper varies in each shaft, so it may be too short by the time you get to the desired position to insert the blade. So after explaining all that, if you can get the blade into the top of the stick that's fine, it just means putting in an extension is no longer a viable option becaue of the taper on the other end.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Nosebleed Section

A hacksaw would be your best bet. Kind of an obvious thing but lots of people their first time dont even think about makeing straight as possible so make sure you do that.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
stick9

If you're cutting it by hand use a hack saw. You'll shred the end using a wood saw. Wood saws are meant for wood....much softer then composite materials. Hack saws have finer blades and are designed to cut harder materials.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote