HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers style of play + Jagr comment

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 06:56 AM
fuhr

vCash: 500
Rangers style of play + Jagr comment

Would most of you Ranger fans be happy if the Rangers were to become a team that traps? Granted,all teams trap once and a while but not all of the teams do it all of the time. Basically,would you rather they play entertaining hockey and be good or boring hockey and win(like NJ)? Not that they really do either right now but i'm curious to see what most of you guys think.

As far as Jagr goes,you guys have yourself a pretty good player for $5 million. Jagr will be great as a Ranger and i think he'll be the least of their problems. People should get on Sather for the Holik,Kovalev,etc.. deals but he should be given a hand for getting Jagr at the price he did. No one can really dispute the fact that Jagr is worth $5 million,considering the market for the type of player he is. Getting Jagr was a great move by the Rangers but i'd agree with all of you that it does them no good without some help on D and in goal.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Most Ranger fans realize...

that Jagr is just a sympton and not the cause of what ails this dis-organization. What Neil Smith started, Sather has brought to nuclear proportions. This from a guy who said anyone could win in NY with the kind of money they are able to spend.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Basically,would you rather they play entertaining hockey and be good or boring hockey and win(like NJ)? Not that they really do either right now but i'm curious to see what most of you guys think.
---I don't know about everyone else, but I don't find seeing my team lose 9-1 to be terribly entertaining.

Winning is never boring. I want the Rangers do to what you need to do to win in today's NHL. If that means playing like the Devils, let's play like the Devils. It doesn't seem to be that any of their 28 or so fans have been bored watching them win 3 cups in the last 9 years, and I doubt that if the Rangers started playing like that next year, and went on to win 3 cups in the next 9 season, you'd hear much complaining about boredom among the Ranger faithful.

And it's not that simple anyway. It's not like the Rangers can suddenly start "trapping", like flicking a switch, and start winning. You need to have the right personnel, you need to have a quality head coach, you need to have strong goaltending, and you need to have team chemistry. The Rangers don't have any of those things, and until that changes, it doesn't matter what system they employ.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Edge

Fuhr, I think you can takes the first line of your question and sum it all up there for what ranger fans want.

What would make fans happy?

If the Rangers were actually a team.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Fletch

The trap isn't necessarily boring...

what becomes boring is the intereference calls often associated with the trap that continues to slow-up the game. If the league were to figure out how to properly officiate a game, it would be enjoyable to watch.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Edge

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

The trap works for even strength situations but the difference between the scoring is due in large part to several factors:

A. Expansion has spread out the talent and hockey just isn't a "big" enough sport to support 30 teams with talent.

2. Penalities need to be called to losen the game up. Hockey has taken the stance of not calling penalties, think about what similar decisions would do to football or baseball.

3. Players are more fatigues because those penalties open the ice which ultimately conserves energy. Players are putting more miles on themselves and as a result you see a lot more energy conserving methods like puck dumping, etc.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Fletch

Good analogy on #2, Edge...

imagine if a wide receiver can be held from the line of scrimmage all the way down...can you say no more bombs and exciting plays? Heck, it's pretty exciting seeing one of those bombs broken up by a cornerback - just as it's nice to see a forward taken out. Defense isn't necessarily boring, it's the non-call penalties that is.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Fish

I think Laches summed it up...winning isn't boring, well not if you're a fan of the team that's winning. What is boring, is watching a game as a hockey fan and seeing two defense-centric teams going head-to-head.

For me I want the Rangers to win...I never like to see them lose, for whatever reason, whatever the time of year. For that reason I would be fine with the Rangers playing a trap.

That said, I do think the league has a whole has a problem to deal with to prevent several teams, and potentially the league from becoming obsolete. Trap is not good for new business...

Old
01-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Edge

But see I believe you can trace the trap back to the days of islanders and oilers glory days.

The real difference is that penalties were called.

The Trap is not the miracle defensive system that can't be broken. The league just did fine with the Habs used it in their glory days.

Talented players can beat talented systems, IF and only IF they are allowed to use that talent. IF penalties are called, IF the game learns to show consistency.

That is the biggest problem, talented players can figure out a defensive system but they can't overcome blatant infractions of the rules. The trap entails playing defense, what many teams do is a LAZY version of the trap that breaks the rules of the game. Officials just won't call it. If they called the penalties a lot of teams would abandon it because they wouldnt have the talent to pull it off correctly without constantly putting themselves shorthanded.

But this is exactly why hockey is failing, it is commiting suicide. Name me another sports where 2 of the top of top scoring players of all time played at the same time {mess, and gretz}, two of the most feared offensive forwards played {Gretz and Mario}, and two of the highest scoring defenseman played {Coffey and Borque} and the league STILL couldn't captalize on it and reach a new level. This of course says nothing of other extremely talented players.

Our generation has had the chance to see some of the greatest players of all time {Gretz,Mario, Mess, Francis,Hull,Yzerman, Borque, Coffey, Roy} and yet the league hasn't just dropped the ball, the booted it into the stands.

Closed Thread