HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All time Blues Squad to play a game "In the Alley"

Old
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
All time Blues Squad to play a game "In the Alley"

As Conn Smythe once said. " If you cant beat em in the alley, you cant beat em on the ice. It is all star weekend and with the dead time I thought we could have some fun putting together a team to compete in a game that you knew was going to be a Brawl.

Brian Sutter-Unger-Babych
Shanahan-Corson-Mellanby
Momesso-Ron Sutter-Turnbull
Twist-Bassen-Ewen

Stevens-Gassoff
Bob Plager-Barclay Plager
Noel Picard-Schofield

Joseph
Hall

I dont like my centers at all

Last edited by c-carp: 01-24-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Changed lineup
c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I dont like my centers at all
I dunno, as Noel used to say, Bassen is a "tough lil' booger"!

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
General Veers

"I take issue with this list my good sir."

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:13 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
"I take issue with this list my good sir."
Am I suppost to click on the red X and download something? It didnt work. can you type it out.

Old
01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I dunno, as Noel used to say, Bassen is a "tough lil' booger"!
My centers have no size though. they are all little except for Creighton and he couldnt fight for ****. I just thought of the guy Shayne Corson could play center I have to amend my list.

Old
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
General Veers

It's just a picture of Chaser c-carp, I guess he could switch up being the healthy scratch with Twister? Great lineup though!

Old
01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
c-carp

If I could have three extra's they would be

Chaser
Dirk
Al Arbour

Old
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

This type of game is what the NHL is missing the most. All this finesse play makes me want to puke sometimes.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
This type of game is what the NHL is missing the most. All this finesse play makes me want to puke sometimes.
A few games with "Old Time Hockey" would only help the game and the ratings but why would the NHL want to start doing that.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
c-carp

I butchered my picks on my original tough guy roster because I did it off the cuff. During last nights ****bum game I needed something to do and came up with a better roster here it is.

Sutter-Unger-Mellanby
Shanny-Corson-Raglan
Wensink-Bassen-J.Bob Kelly aka Battleship Kelly
Chase-J.Carlson-Ewen

Stevens-Gassoff
Richter-Schofield
Twist-Poeschek

Joseph
Hall

Spares

King
Wells
Bob Plager
Kimble

I put Twister on D because he came up as a D-man and I used Richter on D because even though he was god aweful in his stint here he was always regarded as one of the toughest SOB's to play the game everywhere else he played, we just got him too late.

Old
01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Robb_K

I'd add Battleship Kelly (great fighter) and John Arbour (extra). What about honourable mention for Steve Durbano?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 08:50 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd add Battleship Kelly (great fighter) and John Arbour (extra). What about honourable mention for Steve Durbano?
I added the "Battleship" and a few others to a new list. Demolition Derby would add spice to a game for sure.

If you have time over the break make a roster up. Its kind of fun to do right now with the way the team is playing.

Old
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Yeaah! We gotta add Durbano! He was one crazy/tough SOB.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

I would add Bryan Maxwell. He could really throw'em. Never saw him lose a fight. I don't think you could go wrong with a defensive tandem of Snepst and Marois. No one wanted to get the puck when they dumped it in with those two. Snepst would glove rub'em and Marois would carve their eye out.

Everyone talks about Stevens, but the Blues had some tough customers on the backline that year with these two, Dirk, and Featherstone.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I would add Bryan Maxwell. He could really throw'em. Never saw him lose a fight. I don't think you could go wrong with a defensive tandem of Snepst and Marois. No one wanted to get the puck when they dumped it in with those two. Snepst would glove rub'em and Marois would carve their eye out.

Everyone talks about Stevens, but the Blues had some tough customers on the backline that year with these two, Dirk, and Featherstone.
Dirk is one of the most underrated Blues scrappers in their history, he had a lot of great bouts with the likes of Mark Tinordi and Kevin McClelland.

That 90-91 team was loaded with toughness, Momesso could handle his business on one of the scoring lines. The checking line of Bassen-Sutter-Lowry didnt have heavyweights on it but all of those guys were more than willing to throw em.

At the beginning of the year you had Twist and Chase to handle the heavy lifting. Later in the year Kimble came in and he was a Downgrade from Twister but he still was a tough SOB.

Two of Marois scraps that I have seen stand out. When he was with the note he had a great playoff scrap with Marc Potvin. When he was a Ranger he had a very good scrap with Wayne Babych.

Snepsts was a classic a guy you hated when he played against you but when he was on your squad he was aces.

What would your roster look like?

Old
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
General Veers

Denis Chasse always did well. I seem to remember Lee Norwood kickin' A, too.

Old
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Denis Chasse always did well. I seem to remember Lee Norwood kickin' A, too.
Lee Norwood is a good call, I remember a couple of beauties that he had with Wendel Clark. Also Eric Lindros' first NHL fight was a gainst Norwood. Not a great fight. Also if I remember correctly Norwood had a go with Link Gaetz when Gaetz was with the Sharks.

Chasse and Fellow francophone Ian laperriere both were very game but miss the cut for me.

Chasse did have a very nice victory over Bob Rouse where he cut him pretty good, he gamely fought Ken "Bomber" Baumgartner but took a loss.

This fight talk is very cool.

Old
01-26-2008, 08:10 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I would approach this as building a legitimate team to compete both ways. I would also look at who I absolutely would not want to play against. (Courtnall, Snepsts, Jackman, Bassen, Pronger)

Centers
Unger
Curt Bennett-classic bout with Barry Beck
Shayne Corson/Ron Sutter
Bob Bassen

Wingers
Sutter
Shanahan
Plante
Courtnall
Momesso
Turnbull
Chase
Ewen
(spares) Twist (couldn't play hockey) J. Bob Kelly (did show talent til he left)

Defense
Pronger
Barc Plager
Ramage
Jackman
Gassoff
Bob Plager
Snepsts/Bryan Maxwell

Goalie
CuJo (at least til the playoffs)

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:59 PM
General Veers

Thank you everyone for leaving Low off the lists. He didn't even do his job half the time the last season he was here.

Old
01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Thank you everyone for leaving Low off the lists. He didn't even do his job half the time the last season he was here.
I think Reed Low did his job as well as he could. He was a good fighter in all except one important aspect. He lacked punching power. If you look at his fights I dont think he even TKO;d anyone.

By the same token he didnt get his ass handed to him a lot because he was a very good fighter in all other aspects. He had good balance, He could switch hands, He could take a punch and had good stamina.

I think what brought Low down in a lot of people's eyes is that he was the first guy to do that job for the Blues after the departure of the Twister. Kelly Chase I guess was the defacto enforcer for the Presidents trophy winning team along with Rudy Poeschek but both of them were at the end of their careers.

If you want to talk about guys who didnt do their jobs when they were here three come to mind for me. In the mid 80's the blues tried to really muscle up one year and brought in Craig Coxe and Dave Richter. Both of these guys brought huge reps with them especially Richter.

Richter was regarded as one of the best fighters in the league in every stop but this one and had great fights with the likes of Bob Probert, Joe Kocur and Jeff Brubaker. the only memory I have of him here is getting smoked by Everett Sannipass of the Hawks. (Ironinically I used him on my list saying that I use him under the condition of getting the pre Blues Richter.)

Craig Coxe was a game as hell and one of the most exciting fighters ever he had two classics with Probert, a highlight reel scrap with Joe Patterson. He also was dropped in a battle of former Blues scrappers when he fought Dwight Schofield. That open style that he had was sort of live by the sword die by the sword. In his time here the only scrap that is memorable that I have seen was with Basil McRae.

Also since this post is about Low, The guy he lost his job to didnt last long or do very well here either. I am talking about Aaron Downey. I dont know how anyone could loose a job to this guy. He wasnt here long but he got dropped more that old newspaper. Jody Shelley Ko'd him as well as Jim Vandermeer, althought the Vandermeer fight was a hell of a scrap he just got caught at the end of a long scrap.

Not trying to be provakative about things, just trying to say that Reed Low was far from the worst guy the Blues have rolled out to do that job in my opinion.

Old
01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
General Veers

Quote:
I think Reed Low did his job as well as he could. He was a good fighter in all except one important aspect. He lacked punching power. If you look at his fights I dont think he even TKO;d anyone.

By the same token he didnt get his ass handed to him a lot because he was a very good fighter in all other aspects. He had good balance, He could switch hands, He could take a punch and had good stamina.

I think what brought Low down in a lot of people's eyes is that he was the first guy to do that job for the Blues after the departure of the Twister. Kelly Chase I guess was the defacto enforcer for the Presidents trophy winning team along with Rudy Poeschek but both of them were at the end of their careers.

If you want to talk about guys who didnt do their jobs when they were here three come to mind for me. In the mid 80's the blues tried to really muscle up one year and brought in Craig Coxe and Dave Richter. Both of these guys brought huge reps with them especially Richter.

Richter was regarded as one of the best fighters in the league in every stop but this one and had great fights with the likes of Bob Probert, Joe Kocur and Jeff Brubaker. the only memory I have of him here is getting smoked by Everett Sannipass of the Hawks. (Ironinically I used him on my list saying that I use him under the condition of getting the pre Blues Richter.)

Craig Coxe was a game as hell and one of the most exciting fighters ever he had two classics with Probert, a highlight reel scrap with Joe Patterson. He also was dropped in a battle of former Blues scrappers when he fought Dwight Schofield. That open style that he had was sort of live by the sword die by the sword. In his time here the only scrap that is memorable that I have seen was with Basil McRae.

Also since this post is about Low, The guy he lost his job to didnt last long or do very well here either. I am talking about Aaron Downey. I dont know how anyone could loose a job to this guy. He wasnt here long but he got dropped more that old newspaper. Jody Shelley Ko'd him as well as Jim Vandermeer, althought the Vandermeer fight was a hell of a scrap he just got caught at the end of a long scrap.

Not trying to be provakative about things, just trying to say that Reed Low was far from the worst guy the Blues have rolled out to do that job in my opinion.
Saying Twist was here 1st so my opinion of Low is skewed is like saying I don't like Brew because of Prongs. One has nothing to do with the other, at least for me. In Low's last season here, he didn't stand up for many a teammate. In 02-03 he played almost the whole season and did his job wonderfully. Then, all of the sudden in 03-04 he stopped playing with an edge and was a healthy scratch a lot. (Think he was hurt for a time too) You're right when you say he's far from the worst enforcer we've had, but he's also far from being worthy of making your list. As far as Downey goes, I choose to not even acknowledge his time here. He was a useless slug who's going to get manhandled this year when a team gets physical with the Wings in the coming months. (Won't THAT be fun to watch! )

Old
01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Saying Twist was here 1st so my opinion of Low is skewed is like saying I don't like Brew because of Prongs. One has nothing to do with the other, at least for me. In Low's last season here, he didn't stand up for many a teammate. In 02-03 he played almost the whole season and did his job wonderfully. Then, all of the sudden in 03-04 he stopped playing with an edge and was a healthy scratch a lot. (Think he was hurt for a time too) You're right when you say he's far from the worst enforcer we've had, but he's also far from being worthy of making your list. As far as Downey goes, I choose to not even acknowledge his time here. He was a useless slug who's going to get manhandled this year when a team gets physical with the Wings in the coming months. (Won't THAT be fun to watch! )
Fair enough, in 03-04 he did miss time because both of Worcester's guys Steve Mclaren and Jeremy Yablonski saw time with the big club. I have always thought he got a bad rap from some because of taking over for Twist. I didnt nessisarily mean you.

Good discussion here.

Old
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Darin Kimble.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Fair enough, in 03-04 he did miss time because both of Worcester's guys Steve Mclaren and Jeremy Yablonski saw time with the big club. I have always thought he got a bad rap from some because of taking over for Twist. I didnt nessisarily mean you.

Good discussion here.
Wow, Mclaren and Yablonski... I completely forgot about those guys. You know your stuff c-carp!

Old
01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Darin Kimble.
Kimble was a very exciting fighter, he just missed the cut for me.