HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: CHL top prospects game

Old
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
eleventy

vCash: 500
OT: CHL top prospects game

Just linking this from the prospects forum in case people were interested. People had observations on some of the players we might end up drafting come June.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=469507

(they all have man crushes on Schenn btw.)

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 04:19 AM
LA Kings Cup Champs

"HOWEVER when it comes to GREATNESS =LUKE SCHENN again delivers!"

"Schenn was WOW!"

"Schenn - Dominated. "

"Schenn looks awesome."

"Luke Schenn is the best defensmen in the draft."

"Schenn was by far the best player on the ice, better than Stamkos, Doughty (who had a bad game), and Pietrangelo."

"I really liked Luke Schenn. I didnt really notice him at the U-20, but yesterday he was great to me. He was a notch above every d-man yesterday. I LOVE his positionning. Stopping a guy really look effortless to him. He is just always at the right place, do the little move to take the puck away from the guy then the puck is out. Simple and effective."

All I got to say is "Luke Schenn baby!"

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Stamkos dropped the gloves at the TPG. I'm liking him more and more. If we could get Stamkos and Schenn, I would be one happy Kings fan.

01-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
If we could get Stamkos and Schenn, I would be one happy Kings fan
That's almost impossible. Stamkos is a lock for 1st but schenn will probably be picked 3rd or 4th!

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilela View Post
That's almost impossible. Stamkos is a lock for 1st but schenn will probably be picked 3rd or 4th!
Yeah, it is. Dean needs to work some magic, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Burke WAS able to trade up and get both Sedins, so you never know.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Burke>Dean

He can work his magic but it will be a tough sell.

We already have a good young keeper, a reliable young d-man in jack johnson, all we need is a player maker in stamkos -- so our future is set. I don't think tanking is an option since the leafs are on our tail.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Sybil227

Redline is starting to get into Schenn as well:
Luke Schenn— Display of complete calm and poise amid the cauldron of pressure playing for Canada at the world juniors was really impressive. We were never on the bandwagon before, but we're starting to come around.

Complete story @ USA today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-redline_N.htm

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Schenn was great paired with Hickey at the WJC. The Kings need D in a bad way. I bet DL will take him above Stamkos and Doughty unless he can trade down a few spots. I'm interested in our second pick in the first round as well. There are still going to be some good players left around the 24-30 range.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Fat Elvis

Don't worry, LA will not end up with the #1. Said it a few times that they'll win more often and end up picking 3rd. Schenn at #3 is not a stretch at all IMO.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Luke Schenn the Human Eraser!

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Schenn was great paired with Hickey at the WJC. The Kings need D in a bad way. I bet DL will take him above Stamkos and Doughty unless he can trade down a few spots. I'm interested in our second pick in the first round as well. There are still going to be some good players left around the 24-30 range.
hockey is not football where the player you draft will play immediately. in hockey, you take the BPA available regardless of draft position. the kings needed defense back in 2005...thank goodness that Taylor and Murray went with the BPA (Kopitar) instead of drafting the best defenseman available. by the time these 2008 draftees are ready to play, the team needs may change completely. having a 1-2 punch of Kopitar and Stamkos at center would make the kings hugely competitive for the next decade.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
hockey is not football where the player you draft will play immediately. in hockey, you take the BPA available regardless of draft position. the kings needed defense back in 2005...thank goodness that Taylor and Murray went with the BPA (Kopitar) instead of drafting the best defenseman available. by the time these 2008 draftees are ready to play, the team needs may change completely. having a 1-2 punch of Kopitar and Stamkos at center would make the kings hugely competitive for the next decade.
Yeah, that's why we picked Hickey last year, because he was the best player available.
I personally want to see Stamkos as a king if possible. I would be happy to have Schenn if not. I don't think DL thinks like the rest of the league and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Schenn ahead of Stamkos. It will be fun to find out come June.

Old
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
I don't think DL thinks like the rest of the league and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Schenn ahead of Stamkos. It will be fun to find out come June.
Fun for some and a nightmare for others

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
palffytofrovlov

Quote:
Yeah, that's why we picked Hickey last year, because he was the best player available.

Well I was watching a bit of the NHL network last night and they had the 2007 Draft regarding the St. Louis Blues behind the scenes, they showed when the Kings drafted Thomas Hickey, the Blues desk, especially GM Larry Pleau and Direct of Amateur Scouting Jarmo Kekalainen, said HELL OF A PICK... So the Blues thought a lot of Hickey, they tried to trade with the Kings as well they offered Dean #9 and #26 but he didnt want to move down that low. They also offered the same deal to both Washington and Edmonton and both didnt want to move that low.... Kinda of interesting how trades and calls are made. Wish they would do that with the Kings you get an idea of how things work....

palffytofrovlov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Reaper45

I wish they'd do it this year considering we'll have one of the top picks.

Old
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah, it is. Dean needs to work some magic, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Burke WAS able to trade up and get both Sedins, so you never know.
Chicago was picking 4th in a draft that didn't feature any surefire prospects. Patrik Stefan was considered the "best" prospect, but his concussion history scared off some teams. The Sedins had been hyped for years but had a lackluster draft year. Pavel Brendl lit up the WHL but teams questioned whether or not that would translate to the NHL level.

The top prospects in 2008 don't nearly have the same question marks as they did in 1999. Chicago was sitting at #4 figuring they'd end up with at best with one Sedin or perhaps a guy they didn't particularly like in Brendl. Vancouver offered up a 24 year old Bryan McCabe and a future first round pick. So in Chicago's eyes, they were getting a good young defenseman and another potential top 10 pick.

So to get a team to even think about moving out of the top 5-10 this year, it'd probably cost the Kings some combination of Patrick O'Sullivan, Alexander Frolov, Dallas' 2008 1st, and the Kings' 2009 1st.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Brodeur

...and generally speaking, it's probably best to not overrate the Top Prospects game. In the long run, it's just one game. I still remember this one prospect named Greg Watson winning the game MVP honors one year. He boosted his draft stock to the top of the 2nd round and never became a consistent AHLer.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Reaper45

Who'd Stamkos fight?

Old
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
mikealive

sorry to make you guys cry but lombardi won't pick stamkos over schenn. he's already said he likes schenn and defense will be his main priority in the draft.

i agree with him.

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 05:26 PM
tomd

Quote:
I personally want to see Stamkos as a king if possible. I would be happy to have Schenn if not. I don't think DL thinks like the rest of the league and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Schenn ahead of Stamkos. It will be fun to find out come June.
and it is still very possible that Lombardi made a huge mistake in drafting Hickey but I guess it will be several years before we really find out.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
and it is still very possible that Lombardi made a huge mistake in drafting Hickey but I guess it will be several years before we really find out.
I hope Hickey isn't a mistake and that DL makes me eat my words. I am becoming a fan of Hickey's and am anxious to see what he can do.

Old
01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
deano

I'm all for Schenn. I've said it many times, and will continue to beat that drum until the draft. By the way, Victor Tikhonov is up to #30 in ISS' top 30 for January. He was great at the WJC's and I would love to pick him up with Dallas' first or our second round pick. He was born in San Jose apparently, and might be one of those guys that's easier to get over to this side of the pond. I personally thought he was one of the best Russians on the squad, and might consider him over Filatov who I think get's a little too much hype. Good player, but third overall? Not for me. Tikhonov likes to handle the puck in traffic, seems to be a good playmaker, and can skate. It's hard to judge the Russians at times though, as they all seem to be a group of individuals being forced to play a team game.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post

So to get a team to even think about moving out of the top 5-10 this year, it'd probably cost the Kings some combination of Patrick O'Sullivan, Alexander Frolov, Dallas' 2008 1st, and the Kings' 2009 1st.
I agree that it would take a lot to get a team to trade out of the top 10.....but what you put is just crazy talk. First of all Frolov is probably as good as.....if not better than any forward (excluding Stamkos) from this draft will ever be. Then you think the Kings would have to add O'Sullivan (a young top 6 player with star potential), Dallas' 1st round pick (in what many are saying is the deepest draft this decade) and the Kings 1st round pick next year (which will likely be a top 5 pick as well with Tavares being a possibility)? I think it would only take Dallas' pick, O'Sullivan and a decent prospect (Boyle or Lewis).

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I'm all for Schenn. I've said it many times, and will continue to beat that drum until the draft. By the way, Victor Tikhonov is up to #30 in ISS' top 30 for January. He was great at the WJC's and I would love to pick him up with Dallas' first or our second round pick. He was born in San Jose apparently, and might be one of those guys that's easier to get over to this side of the pond. I personally thought he was one of the best Russians on the squad, and might consider him over Filatov who I think get's a little too much hype. Good player, but third overall? Not for me. Tikhonov likes to handle the puck in traffic, seems to be a good playmaker, and can skate. It's hard to judge the Russians at times though, as they all seem to be a group of individuals being forced to play a team game.
I think that both Schenn and Stamkos will be awesome players. But Stamkos will be a "franchise" centerman in the mold of Yzerman while Schenn will be a great shutdown defenseman (top 20 in the league) in the mold of Derian Hatcher. If anyone says they would take Hatcher over Yzerman they should be shot.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 02:12 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I think that both Schenn and Stamkos will be awesome players. But Stamkos will be a "franchise" centerman in the mold of Yzerman while Schenn will be a great shutdown defenseman (top 20 in the league) in the mold of Derian Hatcher. If anyone says they would take Hatcher over Yzerman they should be shot.
That's a hard sell to say a kid is going to be the next Yzerman. Hopefully you are right, it would be good for hockey, but there are few Stevie Y's out there. No matter what the critics say. I've also read comments on Schenn being anywhere from the "next" Larry Robinson all the way down to Luke Richardson. It's all a guessing game, but I'm of the opinion that we need some blue chippers on the d line.

That being said, I certainly won't be upset if we draft Stamkos, he is a great talent.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote