HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: CHL top prospects game

Old
01-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
If we end up with the #1 overall pick and DL doesn't take Stamkos with that pick, I will be irate. Stamkos is going to be a great player and not drafting him would be just another mistake in this franchise's miserable history.

Schenn's going to be good as well, but Stamkos will be a superstar.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
That's a hard sell to say a kid is going to be the next Yzerman. Hopefully you are right, it would be good for hockey, but there are few Stevie Y's out there. No matter what the critics say. I've also read comments on Schenn being anywhere from the "next" Larry Robinson all the way down to Luke Richardson. It's all a guessing game, but I'm of the opinion that we need some blue chippers on the d line.

That being said, I certainly won't be upset if we draft Stamkos, he is a great talent.
Living up to the "Next Yzerman" billing will be difficult indeed. But that is what is being thrown around by scouts right now. Also remember this......in a year that is being touted as one of the best in a decade Stamkos has been ranked #1 by every scouting service for almost a year now. In years previous I can't remember a player holding onto the #1 slot for that amount of time. I think it says something significant about Steve's ability.

Also I believe that Stamkos will be ready to play a significant role in the NHL before the defensemen in this draft. Which should be important to the Kings management because they need this group to make a push for the playoffs sometime in the next 2 years. I think that Stamkos can make an impact on this team much faster than Schenn or Doughty in that regards.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Living up to the "Next Yzerman" billing will be difficult indeed. But that is what is being thrown around by scouts right now. Also remember this......in a year that is being touted as one of the best in a decade Stamkos has been ranked #1 by every scouting service for almost a year now. In years previous I can't remember a player holding onto the #1 slot for that amount of time. I think it says something significant about Steve's ability.

Also I believe that Stamkos will be ready to play a significant role in the NHL before the defensemen in this draft. Which should be important to the Kings management because they need this group to make a push for the playoffs sometime in the next 2 years. I think that Stamkos can make an impact on this team much faster than Schenn or Doughty in that regards.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Stamkos or bust, baby!

Old
01-26-2008, 03:33 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:

Good to know that Schenn is considered the most NHL ready prospect in the entire draft than isn't it? Go check the prospect board every person thinks so and several reporters and scouts have said similar too. Furthermore I love you up play Stamkos than downplay Schenn. There is no relationship in any form of game between Hatcher and Schenn, the one person he gets referred to the most is Adam Foote and a more mobile version they say. I agree with you that Stamkos should be #1 and would be kind of upset if we did not take him but to say that Schenn is some slouch compared to him is a even bigger joke. To say Stamkos is guaranteed to go #1 is not 100% right either, there have been enough scouts and people who have said that they can see Doughty go #1, not that I think anyone here really prefers that move. I would love to get Stamkos but if we could pick something solid up and get Schenn I think that is a MUCH better move for the franchise.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 03:58 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
I can't help but wonder if Lombardi is going to look at Schenn the same way he looked at Alzner. Schenn sounds like he's fully-grown and developed; in that recent interview he did, Lombardi talked about how great it was that Hickey wasn't. I guess the question is whether Lombardi is going to swing for a second home run (albeit a higher probability home run with Stamkos or Doughty) or take the seemingly safest pick (and one which could probably be had by trading down and thus acquiring more assets).

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 03:58 PM
yankeeking

Both the Leafs and the Sabres will need to rebuild at a much faster pace due to media pressure and look to have top five picks, a deal like Cammy + for their First + would be win win........ don't want to see cammy go but it just seems inevitable..... any combination of picks except the 2009 first that is, it would be pretty bad to sux next year and have someone else get hedman or tavares

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
AnThGrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I can't help but wonder if Lombardi is going to look at Schenn the same way he looked at Alzner. Schenn sounds like he's fully-grown and developed; in that recent interview he did, Lombardi talked about how great it was that Hickey wasn't. I guess the question is whether Lombardi is going to swing for a second home run (albeit a higher probability home run with Stamkos or Doughty) or take the seemingly safest pick (and one which could probably be had by trading down and thus acquiring more assets).
Alzner and Schenn are quite different. Alzner many were saying he does not have a high ceiling and would be a #3-4 guy while most all scouts and people see Schenn as a top pairing guy. Schenn is just quite a bit a head in development but from all signs he is not one who has stalled and actually is rising every tournament and game due to improved and consistent play.

That said would still hope if we have #1 that Stamkos is our guy.

Old
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt View Post
Good to know that Schenn is considered the most NHL ready prospect in the entire draft than isn't it? Go check the prospect board every person thinks so and several reporters and scouts have said similar too. Furthermore I love you up play Stamkos than downplay Schenn. There is no relationship in any form of game between Hatcher and Schenn, the one person he gets referred to the most is Adam Foote and a more mobile version they say. I agree with you that Stamkos should be #1 and would be kind of upset if we did not take him but to say that Schenn is some slouch compared to him is a even bigger joke. To say Stamkos is guaranteed to go #1 is not 100% right either, there have been enough scouts and people who have said that they can see Doughty go #1, not that I think anyone here really prefers that move. I would love to get Stamkos but if we could pick something solid up and get Schenn I think that is a MUCH better move for the franchise.
Well I believe that Hatcher was a much better defenseman than Foote so if Schenn is getting compared to Foote than you are downgrading him from what I had originally stated. Schenn wasn't even considered a top 10 prospect at the beginning of the season and now you (and a few others) are talking about him being #1. Don't you think it is possible that he is just on a good streak right now?

Also I still have yet to see one scouting service who doesn't have Stamkos as their #1 guy. There maybe a few "individual" scouts that have Schenn ranked #1. But the vast majority have Stamkos in that slot and he has been in that spot since last May.

And in reference to Schenn being the most "NHL ready".....How many defensemen selected in the 1st round ever played in their draft year? In the last 10 years I only found 2. Bouwmeester and Tanabe....and both of them had a rough time transitioning to the NHL. I think that Schenn will be a great defenseman someday in the NHL (not Norris trophy great but still very good). But I think it will take at least 2 or 3 years before he will be able to adjust to the NHL. Just look at Jack Johnson. He was a much better player at the age of 18 than Schenn is and he is still having a tough time adjusting to the NHL the age of 21.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:07 PM
dabeechman

I always thought it was "the best player available" theory...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I always thought it was "the best player available" theory...
Well some GM's do not subscribe to that theory. So far Lombardi has shown that he is one of them.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
VisionQuest*

comparisons to the sedin draft are vulgar.

saying stamkos is the next Yzerman is nearly as ludicrous.

Saying Schenn will be anything like Derian Hatcher is the dumber than another Steve Downie thread.

come on people. thinking caps. Schenn skated better as a AAA midget than Hatcher could ever hope to.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
comparisons to the sedin draft are vulgar.

saying stamkos is the next Yzerman is nearly as ludicrous.

Saying Schenn will be anything like Derian Hatcher is the dumber than another Steve Downie thread.

come on people. thinking caps. Schenn skated better as a AAA midget than Hatcher could ever hope to.
Schenn might be a better skater than Hatcher but they still play a very similar game. Even the Foote comparison does not have me willing to spend a 1st overall pick on the guy. Also the Yzerman comparisons came from some of the top scouts in the NHL. I think they are a bit "extreme" but most comparisons are. Also do not forget that Yzerman developed into a much better player than he was projected to be. He was after all drafted behind guys like Brian Lawton and Sylvain Turgeon. So even though he Stamkos will probably not be a "hall of fame" guy like Yzerman.....if he gets even somewhat close to Yzerman in terms of production he will be well worth the 1st overall pick.

Old
01-26-2008, 10:24 PM
yankeeking

If you go over to TSN draft coverage there are times he is not only compared to Yzerman but also to Trottier in his leadership and dynamics, those are two of the great leaders of our generations. If he was an American I think I would vote for him over some of other super tuesday choices....

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
AnThGrt

Quote:
Well I believe that Hatcher was a much better defenseman than Foote so if Schenn is getting compared to Foote than you are downgrading him from what I had originally stated. Schenn wasn't even considered a top 10 prospect at the beginning of the season and now you (and a few others) are talking about him being #1. Don't you think it is possible that he is just on a good streak right now?

Also I still have yet to see one scouting service who doesn't have Stamkos as their #1 guy. There maybe a few "individual" scouts that have Schenn ranked #1. But the vast majority have Stamkos in that slot and he has been in that spot since last May.

And in reference to Schenn being the most "NHL ready".....How many defensemen selected in the 1st round ever played in their draft year? In the last 10 years I only found 2. Bouwmeester and Tanabe....and both of them had a rough time transitioning to the NHL. I think that Schenn will be a great defenseman someday in the NHL (not Norris trophy great but still very good). But I think it will take at least 2 or 3 years before he will be able to adjust to the NHL. Just look at Jack Johnson. He was a much better player at the age of 18 than Schenn is and he is still having a tough time adjusting to the NHL the age of 21.
Where did I say Schenn was #1? I said multiple people have said Doughty could go #1. Hell even in a poll including Tavares he got plenty of votes. Comparing Bouwmeester/Johnson to Schenn is also ******** as both of those are two-way guys and neither were nearly as good defensively as Schenn. L. Schenn has outplayed K. Alzner by quite a bit and Alzner is already said to be NHL ready and will be in the NHL next year for sure. Judging by the fact that he is ahead and though you like to argue it most all scouts and announcers have said Schenn could already be a second pairing guy right now in the NHL simply due to his knowledge of positional play. I have no interest in this constant arguing with you though, apparently Schenn is the next coming of Hatcher though one is one of the slowest defenders ever while the other is a damn mobile one and playing styles differ. In meantime Stamkos is apparently the next coming of S. Yzerman.....

I am not going to sit here and further argue as I have already said I think Stamkos should be #1 and trying to get you to admit Schenn is not some piece of crap compared to him clearly not possible. Think what you will, I'll be glad if we get either of them on draft day.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I am not going to sit here and further argue as I have already said I think Stamkos should be #1 and trying to get you to admit Schenn is not some piece of crap compared to him clearly not possible. Think what you will, I'll be glad if we get either of them on draft day.
The thing I love about debating with you is that you invent things to try to make your point. Can you find anywhere....in any post that I made where I said that Schenn was, is or will be a piece of crap in the NHL? In fact here are two quotes from me in regards to Schenn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward
Schenn will be a great shutdown defenseman (top 20 in the league)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward
I think that Schenn will be a great defenseman someday in the NHL (not Norris trophy great but still very good).
The only thing negative that I have said in regards to Schenn is that I believe it will take him longer to acclimate to the NHL than it will take Stamkos. And I have facts to back up my claim because in the last decade not one defenseman who played the year he was drafted was able to make an impact his first year in the NHL. There are however several examples of forwards who were able to do that very thing.

The reason for that is because the position of defenseman is a lot more difficult than that of a forward and is therefore much harder to learn to play at the pro level. In fact most of the best defensemen take 5 or 6 years to get their game to Norris Trophy levels. I do not see Schenn bucking that trend. I do believe that he will be an awesome defenseman in the NHL......eventually. But by the time he reaches his full potential the Kings could be well past their window of opportunity to take advantage of it. After all their young "core" of players will not remain young forever and as they start negotiating for new, bigger contracts it will be that much more difficult to fit them all under the cap.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:39 AM
AnThGrt

Now you are going to attacking me instead of arguing, nice. All I will reply is I used the word COMPARED no where did I say you said Schenn is crap. Once again COMPARED and yes crap may be over doing it but not far off when comparing a guy of Yzerman caliber and one who is "very good some day" and "top 20 in his position."

Now please refrain from attacking me as I no where attacked you but rather argued you and even agree Stamkos should be #1. There is not a need to always argue and try attacking GMs.

Old
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Now you are going to attacking me instead of arguing, nice. All I will reply is I used the word COMPARED no where did I say you said Schenn is crap. Once again COMPARED and yes crap may be over doing it but not far off when comparing a guy of Yzerman caliber and one who is "very good some day" and "top 20 in his position."

Now please refrain from attacking me as I no where attacked you but rather argued you and even agree Stamkos should be #1. There is not a need to always argue and try attacking GMs.
Where did I attack you? If you want to consider me pointing out an obviously fabricated opinion that I have of Schenn then so be it. In this entire thread I have never said anything that would indicate that I believe that Schenn is or will be a horrible hockey player.

I have just stated that I believe that Stamkos will bring more to the Kings and will do it in a quicker time frame. Schenn could also be a very valuable piece on the Kings roster. But I believe that by the time he reaches his potential and helps the Kings that a few of the players that we fans value now (Cammalleri, Frolov, Visnovsky, Johnson, Kopitar and O'Sullivan) may be gone. Then the team will have other "holes" to fill on the roster and we will be talking about who the Kings should draft to fill those holes.

That is one of the biggest reasons a GM should never draft for current needs. With the time it takes to develop prospects into NHL players a team's needs can change drastically.

Old
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
AnThGrt

I'm done, continue if you like. Not one to argue pages on pages. Neither of us are going to change each others mind and we can go pages on pages saying who said what and how someone said the one guy is this or the one guy is that. If you would like to take the win or whatever you were looking for go ahead. We'll see come draft what happens and in a few years what pans out. For now we are still fans of the same team and even if not do not care to have some huge argument over a forum.

Old
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I'm done, continue if you like. Not one to argue pages on pages. Neither of us are going to change each others mind and we can go pages on pages saying who said what and how someone said the one guy is this or the one guy is that. If you would like to take the win or whatever you were looking for go ahead. We'll see come draft what happens and in a few years what pans out. For now we are still fans of the same team and even if not do not care to have some huge argument over a forum.
I never attempt to change anyone's mind on these boards. I simply give my opinions as to what I think the Kings should do to better the team. I will occasionally use stats or opinions of others to back up my position but it is not so that I can change anyone's mind. In fact I hope that I do not change anyone's opinions on these boards. Because I think it would be extremely boring if we all thought the exact same way. It really doesn't matter one way or the other what you or I think anyway. Because I am pretty sure that Lombardi is not consulting these boards before he makes decisons for the team. The whole purpose for these boards is for fans to voice their opinions.

Old
01-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
...The whole purpose for these boards is for fans to voice their opinions.
I thought it was to pick up girls. That's what I've been doing wrong!

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Stamkos is more of a play maker, great hands, good speed. I like the kid but he isn't a franchise player! I don't see his game being emulated like a yzerman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLouRFD0XJw

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilela View Post
Stamkos is more of a play maker, great hands, good speed. I like the kid but he isn't a franchise player! I don't see his game being emulated like a yzerman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLouRFD0XJw
You realize that the link you posted pretty much contradicts your entire post, right?