HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The significance of the win in NJ

Old
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
prairie hab

vCash: 500
The significance of the win in NJ

Lets think about what we have done here......

We just exorcised a demon here (or perhaps devil). Mark this night on your calendars as a major turning point not only in the season, but perhaps for the next few years that this promising team has ahead of them.

It is not that we just beat NJ, and Brodeur - it is how we beat them. Give Carbonneau credit for allowing his team to come out guns a blazing in the 3rd, taking 23 shots on net. Many slumps were ended: Higgins, Koivu, and Smoke (over the last two games).

The Habs proved to themselves that they can comeback in games where they get behind early - even against a team that is usually air tight in protecting leads.

We have just gained enormous confidence over the last two games precisely because: 1) We beat the teams we are supposed to beat (Boston),
2) We beat teams that we never beat (NJ)

I expect this team to ride this "feel good" wave for some time.

I'm looking forward to the ride!!!

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Raider917

but why did it take 40 minutes for them to star playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Raider917

but why did it take 40 minutes for them to start playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Lets think about what we have done here......

We just exorcised a demon here (or perhaps devil). Mark this night on your calendars as a major turning point not only in the season, but perhaps for the next few years that this promising team has ahead of them.

It is not that we just beat NJ, and Brodeur - it is how we beat them. Give Carbonneau credit for allowing his team to come out guns a blazing in the 3rd, taking 23 shots on net. Many slumps were ended: Higgins, Koivu, and Smoke (over the last two games).

The Habs proved to themselves that they can comeback in games where they get behind early - even against a team that is usually air tight in protecting leads.

We have just gained enormous confidence over the last two games precisely because: 1) We beat the teams we are supposed to beat (Boston),
2) We beat teams that we never beat (NJ)

I expect this team to ride this "feel good" wave for some time.

I'm looking forward to the ride!!!
Ill give them all the credit for coming out in the 3rd like that. We have a lot more character than last year.
Everybody has to be happy with how we bounced back tonight, wouldn't look like huet had such a good game considering the few shots he faced, but he couldnt do much on any of the goals and still made nice saves.

Props to everybody, but it doesnt mean Koivu and Higgins are out of their slump, they have to continue to perform.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
but why did it take 40 minutes for them to start playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that
They were good in the second too.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Exactly. The Habs weren't at all climbing back into the game in the second when the refs handed NJ a third goal.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Guy Caballero

You can't understate the importance of this win. Not just because they beat the Devils; anyone can beat anyone or have a bad game on any given night. It's the WAY they did it. It would have been so easy to roll over and die, like Habs teams of the past. But this team kept givin' it all the way to the end. They wanted it more than the Devils and they took it.

Here's hoping that we put another troublesome rivalry to pasture, like we did with the Flyers, Sabres, and Leafs in the last few years.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Mother Pucker

I agree that tonight's game might be a turning point. Just imagine the morale boost the team will have. It's about WHO we beat, WHERE we beat them and HOW we beat them. Pure gold.

Honestly, the only thing more surprising than this win would be a Stanley cup. Who knows, the curse has been reversed...anything looks possible right now.

I don't want to sound too optimistic though. I think the next 10 games will really tell us what we can expect post-season from this team. Especially since we're playing the Sens twice.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Said it on the game takes thread. That win is crucial. You won that one, you can win any game....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Ross MacLochness

This win has the same feel of the two wins against the Leafs in March '06 which were capped off Kovalev demolishing Tucker.

It's a totally different team and we are in a different situation but I haven't been this happy after a regular season win in ****ing YEARS.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

We have FINALLY Reversed the Curse!!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
yannick

stop it with the curse, please. this aint no holy thing, it's called performance.

Quote:
but why did it take 40 minutes for them to star playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that
maybe because the devils were playing the way they needed to win more Effectively than the habs. do you sincerely think that the habs ewere not taking the first two period seriously? i hope not. its just that in a competition, you can't always not come back late in the game; there is the other team trying to win too.

yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Pat H

Most important thing was three veteran lines coming out for blood...Smokes, Koivu and Kovalev who was pressure all night. Great turning point for Le Club Hockey Canadiens.

Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Pat H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Good/positive thread (finally!).

Yup...I'm thinking this is a great thing (finally beating the Brodeur and the Devils).
I was getting fed up of this Brodeur loving it (imo, always played his best against us).

We have a very good, young team. Keep building it properly a la Gainey/Timmins...
IN with the character/talented/team players:
Komisarek, Higgins, O'Byrne, Price, Sergei Kosts, Chipchura, D'agostini, Pacioretty, McDonagh...

OUT with the anti-team, $elfi$h player$: Rib$ (all about the $), Theo (all about the $), Dagenais, Samsonov (way too one dimensional, success in Carolina or not, we don't need players like Samsonov, we have more than enough talent/skill in Andrei Kosts...we need to keep adding character players and NOT just talent/skill).

Go HABS Go
Samsosoft is still done...no worries...

Old
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Until tonight I was ambivalent regarding Smolinski. I liked him although I didn't think he was worth his contract. He showed his positional smarts tonight.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:26 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Also, Higgins and Koivu answered Carbo's call tonight. Huge 3rd period for these lads. Can't wait til after the All-Star break. The whole team is hungry for winning.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Pat H

Believe it or not but the vets that we have on this team are capable of stepping in to take care of injuries. The team has been fortunate so far more or less with injuries but at least we have hungry capable vets in the box ready to take over. Brisebois might not be a star but I trust him over some green behind the ears rookie when the pressure is on. For a game or two but c'mon, it can't be bad with Smokes, Dandenault, Begin & Kostopoulos fighting for spots. These guys know how to fight for their spots, unlike chumps like Samsosoft.

Old
01-25-2008, 12:32 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Good/positive thread (finally!).

OUT with the anti-team, $elfi$h player$: Rib$ (all about the $), Theo (all about the $), Dagenais, Samsonov (way too one dimensional, success in Carolina or not, we don't need players like Samsonov, we have more than enough talent/skill in Andrei Kosts...we need to keep adding character players and NOT just talent/skill).
Yeah now Ribs is an all-star with the stars, theo carried us to the playoffs and stole a round for us a couple of times, dagenais had his moments (more than kostopoulos anyway) & samsonov was a good player with the ruins (so it was worth taking a chance with him).

I agree that the habs have a good team and that gainey is a good GM. Is it good enough to win the SC? No. West teams still chew up the habs and spit them out.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

its just one win, relax

granted, the habs were fully deserving of the victory... but we could go another 4 years without winning in that town for all we know.

A little bit of that mental block against the devils has probably eroded after tonight. But it will probably take a little more to completely demolish the mental block.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Pat H

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Yeah now Ribs is an all-star with the stars, theo carried us to the playoffs and stole a round for us a couple of times, dagenais had his moments (more than kostopoulos anyway) & samsonov was a good player with the ruins (so it was worth taking a chance with him).

I agree that the habs have a good team and that gainey is a good GM. Is it good enough to win the SC? No. West teams still chew up the habs and spit them out.
Hey the Habs have done well over the last three years over those teams. I'm looking forward to the trip next month.

Old
01-25-2008, 12:56 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Can't wait to see the Habs against the western team.
I am happy with the team we have now, go Habs go

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
its just one win, relax

granted, the habs were fully deserving of the victory... but we could go another 4 years without winning in that town for all we know.
And we could have just started a 5 year winning streak here! Who knows! Statistics from the past are not a garantee for the future.

And lets not forget that the las time the Habs won in NJ... 90% of this team wasnt here.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I've been skeptical of this team all year but they are proving me wrong. I thought we'd see these kinds of performances next year but we're way ahead of schedule. The rookies are playing well, the vets are playing well, the goalies are playing well... I'm happy with where things are at and I'm especially happy when I think of the team's future.

Nothing will make me happier than to say I was wrong if and when we make the playoffs this year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:58 AM
bipolarhabfan

This win could be a turning point in the recent history of the Habs. As a previous posted mentioned it has to do with the team we beat and the manner in which we beat them. Moreover, this win was accomplished with a boat load of youngsters playing a regular shift, which is something else that needs to be taken out of this game.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:14 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I've been skeptical of this team all year but they are proving me wrong. I thought we'd see these kinds of performances next year but we're way ahead of schedule. The rookies are playing well, the vets are playing well, the goalies are playing well... I'm happy with where things are at and I'm especially happy when I think of the team's future.

Nothing will make me happier than to say I was wrong if and when we make the playoffs this year.
If we can just eliminate games like the one against the Rangers, we're a top-tier team.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote