HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Rangers to Retire Adam Graves' Number

Old
01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
24Cups

vCash: 500
OT - Rangers to Retire Adam Graves' Number

On a night when the Rangers sent Brian Leech's number to the rafters they announced that Adam Graves' number will be retired next season. He had 329 goals and 289 assists over a 17 year career. I don't see Graves' career as number retirement worthy. Especially with the likes of Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, and Andy Bathgate not receiving this honor. Even long time Ranger defenseman Ron Greshner had 610 points in almost 1,000 games with the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID...33&hubname=nhl

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

He was intrumental in their last cup.

Rangers have a long story but not much happening in it...

Phil Parent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
I really like the way they broke the news to him.

They had Leetch tell him while giving his speech.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I really like the way they broke the news to him.

They had Leetch tell him while giving his speech.
Yeah, granted that was pretty cool.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Pascal

Adam Graves? They probably should retire Richter's number first.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Guy Caballero

You could even argue for james patrick ahead of Graves

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I was thinking the same thing.. Didnt expect to see Graves as the next retired jersey.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Oh well, at least its better than Tie Domi night.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

He's a name, I guess.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm pretty sure Richter's # is retired... at least that's what the TSN article said when I read it 20 minutes ago

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Richter's number is already retired...Graves is an ultimate-fan favourite there, so I guess that's enough for a jersey retirement.

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Richter's number was retired a while ago

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
pld459666

While some may not agree with it, and that is their right, the Rangers are honouring Graves with his jersey to the Rafters for his contributions on the ice, but I believe it's more for his contributions off the ice while a member of the New York Rangers organization as a whole.

One of the best things about Hockey players (regardless of the city they play in or the country they are from) is that they are never ending in the amount of time, energy and dedication that thye give to charities in all walks of life.

That said, there's not been one player that I know of that has done as much, as a player and in his retirement, as Adam Graves has done for charity. What he gives of himself would make most weary, yet he continues and continues. He's a Great Ranger in that respect and I am happy they are honouring him in this way.

As for Leetch, they did not ask him to do this. He asked them if he could make the accouncement himself. He clearly is happy for his teammate and more importantly his friend and who wouldn't want to give their friend this kind of news, regardless of who's being honoured.

A special night for Rangers fans and for both Brian Leetch and Adam Graves.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:01 PM
pld459666

For the record, Richters number was retired before Messier's number was raised.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Hab-a-maniac

That iis is kind of stupid. Do the Rangers forget their history? It's almost as if they want to forget the 54-year drought period and are honouring every single guy from the 94 team. Who's next, Sergei Nemchinov? How can they retire Graves' number when they don't give the same honour to these names: Bill Cook, Fred Cook, Frank Boucher, Neil Colville, Dave Kerr, Bryan Hextall, Lynn Patrick, Chuck Rayner, Wally Hergescheimer, Andy Bathgate, Harry Howell, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Phil Esposito and John Vanbiesbrouck? Those guys are just as if not more deserving but just because they didn't partake in the much ballyhooed 1994 team they get no respect? If you think the 94 Rangers are still overhyped, wait till the Leafs finally win another cup. We'll never hear the end of anyone from the top player to the 4th line press box guy.

P.S. Why do the Rangers get do bring the cup to every retirement? We never need it around for our guys and one of Henri Richard's hands have more cup rings than they do.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
That iis is kind of stupid. Do the Rangers forget their history? It's almost as if they want to forget the 54-year drought period and are honouring every single guy from the 94 team. Who's next, Sergei Nemchinov? How can they retire Graves' number when they don't give the same honour to these names: Bill Cook, Fred Cook, Frank Boucher, Neil Colville, Dave Kerr, Bryan Hextall, Lynn Patrick, Chuck Rayner, Wally Hergescheimer, Andy Bathgate, Harry Howell, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Phil Esposito and John Vanbiesbrouck? Those guys are just as if not more deserving but just because they didn't partake in the much ballyhooed 1994 team they get no respect? If you think the 94 Rangers are still overhyped, wait till the Leafs finally win another cup. We'll never hear the end of anyone from the top player to the 4th line press box guy.

P.S. Why do the Rangers get do bring the cup to every retirement? We never need it around for our guys and one of Henri Richard's hands have more cup rings than they do.
I think Bettman lets Crosby sleep with the cup.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Who's next
Alex Kovalev?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:04 AM
thehabsvolta

I thought it was really awesome how they broke the news to Graves. The look on his face was amazing. Like what "pld459666" i think a lot of the reason has to do with the things that he has done off the ice for the communities.

thehabsvolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
That iis is kind of stupid. Do the Rangers forget their history? It's almost as if they want to forget the 54-year drought period and are honouring every single guy from the 94 team. Who's next, Sergei Nemchinov?
Dude, the numbers retired from the 94 win are:

Brian Leetch
Mike Richter
and Mark Messier.

All these names kick ass in a definitive way. And it's not just the Stanley win. These are amazing careers we are talking about. It's not like they're retiring scrubs like Nemchinov, far from it.

As for Adam Graves, I think he was an amazing player. Pretty much the total package as far as I'm concerned. Great player, extremely versatile, grit and resiliency. This is a guy with great character and leadership and on most teams, he might have ended up with the C but circumstances didn't lead to it in NY.

I am not an historian and can't pretend to know every guy who ever played for the Rangers but Adam Graves was a hell of a player and his relationship with the Rangers has been a very long and productive one (and extended beyond his years as a player).

He was fairly productive but his play simply cannot be defined by numbers. I'd take him before many more productive guys.

I wouldn't know if other former Rangers deserve this honor before him but I do know I have no problem with him getting such an honor. This is absolutely not the Rangers desperately trying to honor a scrub, IMO.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

graves was a very good player.... and you can easily make a case for retiring his number... I just wish the standards were a bit higher though.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
While some may not agree with it, and that is their right, the Rangers are honouring Graves with his jersey to the Rafters for his contributions on the ice, but I believe it's more for his contributions off the ice while a member of the New York Rangers organization as a whole.

One of the best things about Hockey players (regardless of the city they play in or the country they are from) is that they are never ending in the amount of time, energy and dedication that thye give to charities in all walks of life.

That said, there's not been one player that I know of that has done as much, as a player and in his retirement, as Adam Graves has done for charity. What he gives of himself would make most weary, yet he continues and continues. He's a Great Ranger in that respect and I am happy they are honouring him in this way. As for Leetch, they did not ask him to do this. He asked them if he could make the accouncement himself. He clearly is happy for his teammate and more importantly his friend and who wouldn't want to give their friend this kind of news, regardless of who's being honoured.

A special night for Rangers fans and for both Brian Leetch and Adam Graves.

while that is great and all... I dont think that should be part of the criteria for retiring numbers.

Koivu is also known for being community oriented... he's done wonders in montreal especially in the field of cancer treatment and fundraising for expensive equipment etc.... but I dont think that should merit retiring a number.

If a player does great things in the community and needs to be recognized, then honour him in a community setting.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
You could even argue for james patrick ahead of Graves
That's was I was thinking. Patrick one of the best defenseman that's ever played the game doesn't have his shirt retired but Adam Graves? That smell like marketing from a hundred miles. Heck there could even be an argument that Patrick represented more and did more for the Rangers than Leetch and for a longer time.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post

Brian Leetch
Mike Richter
and Mark Messier.

All these names kick ass in a definitive way. And it's not just the Stanley win. These are amazing careers we are talking about. It's not like they're retiring scrubs like Nemchinov, far from it.

As for Adam Graves, I think he was an amazing player. Pretty much the total package as far as I'm concerned. Great player, extremely versatile, grit and resiliency. This is a guy with great character and leadership and on most teams, he might have ended up with the C but circumstances didn't lead to it in NY.

I am not an historian and can't pretend to know every guy who ever played for the Rangers but Adam Graves was a hell of a player and his relationship with the Rangers has been a very long and productive one (and extended beyond his years as a player).

He was fairly productive but his play simply cannot be defined by numbers. I'd take him before many more productive guys.

I wouldn't know if other former Rangers deserve this honor before him but I do know I have no problem with him getting such an honor. This is absolutely not the Rangers desperately trying to honor a scrub, IMO.
meh I don't think Richter should have his number retired.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post

Brian Leetch
Mike Richter
and Mark Messier.

He's not a scrub but he's hardly retirement worthy. He's not close to being good enough for that and I'm shocked the Rangers lowered their standards this far.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:16 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Graves gets his number retired for being AN AMAZING PLAYER ON AND OFF THE ICE.

He is so active in charities and promoting hockey in and around the city its insane. The guy is totally devoted and has been a STANDOUT example of what a Sports figure can and should be.

Not surprised his number goes up. He deserves it.

As his day gets closer Im sure the stories will spread farther than NY and your opinions may be swayed. If not well you can just go ***** *****

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 01-25-2008 at 01:22 AM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote