HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens are playing tough

Old
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Canadiens are playing tough

Favorite moment against the Devils:

Komisarek smacking down Gionta in the final Jersey rush

Favorite moment last game:

AKost and Kostopoulous beating Bruin heads and not backing down

team toughness
team skill
team speed

Now get O'Byrne back and lets see the D bust some bodies

Anyone else have favorite moments from recent games?

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
snakeye

Kovalev picking up his glove and keeping possession of the puck with two bruins on him behind the net.

That was pwnage.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
LesCanadiens

S.Kost. jawing with some Devil in the face-off circle in the NJ zone on a PP. Then off the face-off the puck goes deep and the same guy gets to it first....Kost. NAILS him off the puck, takes it and sends a nice pass to the point.

Thought that was a great moment. He reminded my of Saku Koivu on that play .

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:46 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
S.Kost. jawing with some Devil in the face-off circle in the NJ zone on a PP. Then off the face-off the puck goes deep and the same guy gets to it first....Kost. NAILS him off the puck, takes it and sends a nice pass to the point.

Not sure if its Saku or not, but I also caught that play. I like his fire!!!!

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
Kovalev picking up his glove and keeping possession of the puck with two bruins on him behind the net.

That was pwnage.
That was like the Harlem Globetrotters on ice or something

Old
01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
habsfan1957

t5he 2 cup of coffee ak46 did in the last week wow what a pair of hands

habsfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 05:50 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post

I remember that! That was sweet.

And the Komi hit on poor little Gionta.

LOVE beating Jersey. I'd like to see it happen a lot more often in the future. WE OWE THEM.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 06:04 AM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Favorite moment last game:

AKost and Kostopoulous beating Bruin heads and not backing down
Were you watching the game at all?? It was SKost that got beat up by Kobesew and Kostopoulous got speed bagged by a 90 year old Shane Hnidy. How could they be your favorite moments?

The Habs are playing physical but toughness(fighting) is a huge issue with this team.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 06:37 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
Were you watching the game at all?? It was SKost that got beat up by Kobesew and Kostopoulous got speed bagged by a 90 year old Shane Hnidy. How could they be your favorite moments?

The Habs are playing physical but toughness(fighting) is a huge issue with this team.
SKost didn't lose that fight. He was hitting a visor so couldn't connect but he didn't back down and the team saw that. You don't have to drop the guy to win a fight. What was wrong in that fight is that Lats and Lapierre are the ones that should be doing what they were watching SKost doing.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
mcphee

I love watching a team that plays tough, takes a hit,gives a hit. I don't care much about fighting, I want players that are willing to pay a price .

I do think, fair or unfair that Latendresse and Lapierre at some point will have to throw themselves into some of these scrums. I always come out against fighting in debates, but I think there's enough chatter about these 2, that they need to get involved now and then. I hate saying it, but I think they would both grow in their teammates eyes, if they stepped in for a teammate at some point.

The team seems to be developing the type of chemistry where if you push player x, player y has something to say about it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I love watching a team that plays tough, takes a hit,gives a hit. I don't care much about fighting, I want players that are willing to pay a price .

I do think, fair or unfair that Latendresse and Lapierre at some point will have to throw themselves into some of these scrums. I always come out against fighting in debates, but I think there's enough chatter about these 2, that they need to get involved now and then. I hate saying it, but I think they would both grow in their teammates eyes, if they stepped in for a teammate at some point.

The team seems to be developing the type of chemistry where if you push player x, player y has something to say about it.
Especially relevant at home where the goal of a scrum/scrap/hit is to energize your fans and by extension the team.

Case in point one of the most energizing plays of the past week has been S.Kostitsyn hipcheck and answering of the ensuing bell. Many times you don't need to win the scrap or get the takedown but rather you just need to show up. Hence the shrugging of my shoulders when I read criticism of Mr. Kostopoulos.

You are right these 2 need to get involved, especially Lapierre who is almost embarassing in his chatter-and-turn antics. That's not inflating to a team.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Especially relevant at home where the goal of a scrum/scrap/hit is to energize your fans and by extension the team.

Case in point one of the most energizing plays of the past week has been S.Kostitsyn hipcheck and answering of the ensuing bell. Many times you don't need to win the scrap or get the takedown but rather you just need to show up. Hence the shrugging of my shoulders when I read criticism of Mr. Kostopoulos.

You are right these 2 need to get involved, especially Lapierre who is almost embarassing in his chatter-and-turn antics. That's not inflating to a team.
Respect players get from their teammates is very important in the famous "team chemistry"...I totally agree with you 2 guys (earl and mcphee) that at some point Latendresse and Lapierre will have to get "involved". They don't have to drop the mits face to face, but thye should "jump in the scrum" when it happens and take some shots, give some shots. Wrestle, hug the other player, I don't care...but jump in there and stick to your teammates, let them know they can count on you.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Istvan

Quote:

I'm not a fan of fighting but you make a good point about Latendresse and Lapierre. I also find myself respecting Kostopoulos for taking on Hnidy after his chicken-excrement hit on Begin.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Darz

What I've loved seeing over recent games:

- Smolinski not pulling a Samsonov and whining about signing here when things aren't going great, pulling up his socks, and maybe being our best forward of the past two games.

- the never say die attitude versus Jersey. Hab teams of the past ten years haven't put up too much resistance when being in a hole like last night against a good defensive club.

- I loved the way the habs didn't allow the Bruins a chance to even think about acomeback the other night. Too often with a 2-3 goal lead temas lay off and allow the opposition a chance. I like to see a team that is flying continue to play the way that got them the lead for the entire 60 minutes.

- I like the fact that Carbo called that time out, even though we were up 6-1. His players weren't allowed to change because of the icing, and he was giving them a rest. Nothing wrong with that. Good coaching, IMO.

- Kosto patting S.K. on the head in the penalty box after Kosto was sent off for coming to the aid of Begin. I've liked Kostopolus since he got here, but that team frist s**t never gets old with me!!! I'm glad we signed him to a two year deal.

- Begin play against Boston. Looked like he did when he first arrived in Montreal.

ah...this list could go on for awhile...I'm tried of typing, so I'm going to stop here.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Patty Roy

Agree with the idea that at some point Lats and Lapierre need to step up their physical game.

Not so much fighting for the sake of fighting, but they should be right there sticking up for their linemates if there is a questionable hit.

I'd also like to see Lats get back to the kind of hitting he was showing last season...as a rookie he was absolutely smashing guys on the forecheck last season...i've seen very little of that fire from him this season.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Habbadasher

Lapierre does stir things up then skates away, he stood tall a little more last year.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Agree with the idea that at some point Lats and Lapierre need to step up their physical game.

Not so much fighting for the sake of fighting, but they should be right there sticking up for their linemates if there is a questionable hit.

I'd also like to see Lats get back to the kind of hitting he was showing last season...as a rookie he was absolutely smashing guys on the forecheck last season...i've seen very little of that fire from him this season.
I get the impression, that Lats ins't finishing his checks on the forecheck because he's trying to be better positionally and not get caught up ice. I could be wrong but that's what i've noticed.

As for Lats and Laps sticking up for there teamates, I rememeber Lats trying to stick up for Kovy against Chara not long ago. I think both these players are more than willing to stick up for there teamates when needed although not likely by fighting depending on the oppenant.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan1957 View Post
t5he 2 cup of coffee ak46 did in the last week wow what a pair of hands
Yes, um...well then.

Sergei Kostitsyn going for a wicked hip-check, then answering the call to fight.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
S.Kost reminds me of Alfredsson, same feistyness, about the same size, both europeans who play like north americans. He just needs to start shooting more or improve it. Not saying he'll be as good as Alfredsson, but I'm starting to like him just as much.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:06 PM
guapo23

Quote:

I totally agree.
Lats & lapierre should be more involved physically, getting under the other team's skins.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
S.Kost reminds me of Alfredsson, same feistyness, about the same size, both europeans who play like north americans. He just needs to start shooting more or improve it. Not saying he'll be as good as Alfredsson, but I'm starting to like him just as much.
This is what I'm waiting for, I freaking love his wrist shot, it's not as heavy as his brothers but he's still got a heck of a shot. Last year his brother didn't seem to be shooting much during his callup in March, but now he seems to be firing the puck on a regular basis. Hope to see his Siarhei start to do this at some point as I think he's got a heck of a shot.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post

Yeah its true, SKost and Kostopoulous don't fight like Laracque, but they don't cower either.

Old
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Another favorite moment of mine goes back several weeks to a game or two before O'Byrne hurt his thumb.

I can't quite remember who the opposing team was, but there was a post-whistle scrum in the offensive zone and there was O'Byrne... coming right into it looking to support the Hab forwards. He has this relaxed smirk on his face that basically said

"Try me or anyone else, buddy, and you're gonna get my big fist hammered into your chops"

Like others on the board, I am not for outright fighting in pro hockey, but I also believe a great team has to stand up for themselves and not be intimidated.

Old
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Fair observation of SKosty.The Alfredsson comparaison isn't really far off,great all-around game,sound defensively,solid offensively ,tremendous vision and hockey sense and playing physical,and a very good shot/good overall offensive skillset.Too way early to assume that he'll exactly as good as Alfie in his prime,but the comparaison is relatively fair to settle.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
This is what I'm waiting for, I freaking love his wrist shot, it's not as heavy as his brothers but he's still got a heck of a shot. Last year his brother didn't seem to be shooting much during his callup in March, but now he seems to be firing the puck on a regular basis. Hope to see his Siarhei start to do this at some point as I think he's got a heck of a shot.

Right now, he has to finesse his way into shooting position whereas his bro can power his way in. I think it's just a matter of finding a comfort zone physically, finding a way to gain position.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote