HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nigel Dawes appreciation thread

Old
01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Nigel Dawes appreciation thread

Dubi got his mancrush thread so know it's his partner in crime's turn. Dawes' play of late has been awesome. I knew he had a good shot but his passing, vision and strength on the puck have been great.
Keep it up Nigel

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Don't think I'm ever gonna like this guy.

Seems like an ******* in interviews (have heard reports from HFD), and just doesn't do much away from the puck.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think Dawes is here to stay now.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I think he deserves to stay. He's been back to Hartford a couple of times and earned his trip back to New York each time. And he seems to have good chemistry with Dubinsky, so that's a plus.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:39 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I think Dawes is here to stay now.
I hope so, the guy sure has a nose for the net

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

Seems like an ******* in interviews (have heard reports from HFD), and just doesn't do much away from the puck.
Talking to the PA guy for the Rangers a couple of times, he told me one of the coolest down to earth guys was Dawes (he said Orr was like his best friend and Henke was kinda wierd)...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:17 AM
bumrusherer

Dawes is too cool for school.

Everything he does, he makes it look so easy because of his talent. Watching him these past few weeks, makes it clear as to why he was dominating in the AHL. Its actually a joke that he was every in the AHL for that long this season.

Keep him next to Dubi...get Pru back on that line and let them all grow together.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

Wow....very classless post IMO.

Not sure why he comes off bad to you. The guy in Hartford was always a class act. The guy actually got off the bus for my little brother who was crying since he didnt get any autographs(he's only 8 so give him a break ) after a game and signed his jersey, and a puck, the GWG goal puck that he had scored. Yes, thats right, GWG goal puck Dawes gave up to a fan, my brother.

So I ask...you say "So I heard from HFD reports" is that just what you heard and you just assume he's a bad guy? Or do have you first hand info?

And Again..I say..very classless post. "I dont think i'm ever going to like the guy"? Then you go on to say what you "heard" from "HFD reports" (which also nobody from HF has heard but you apparently.)

Classless.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:34 AM
eco's bones

I don't know whether the trips down to Hartford hurt him at all. He seems to be better this time around. He's moving the puck around to his teammates more and picking up some assists. It looks like this time around he might be here to stay.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
He is Dawesome! Hahaha that's a pretty lame pun on his name.

Seriously though, he has been play well. He has show great patience and vision with the puck.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Dawes is definitely getting better. I wouldnt call him "Dawesome" yet, because hes still not active enough for my liking away from the puck and in his own end. Like Dubinsky is the first guy back playing D, and gets his ass in there to dig pucks out and get em out of the zone, dawes still floats a bit too much for my liking....with that said though, hes leaps and bounds better than he was earlier in the year. sending him down really helped his play if you ask me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Hemlawk86

I dont think he deserved to be sent back to Hartford the last time. He had like 6 goals by Dec, its not bad for a rookie.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk86 View Post
I dont think he deserved to be sent back to Hartford the last time. He had like 6 goals by Dec, its not bad for a rookie.
his play away from the puck, particularly in his own zone was soooooooo bad his first stint up here. he was a floater, plain and simple. he was picking his spots, and trying to get goals and generate offense from that. In the NHL nowadays you can not do that. you need to have 5 men active in all 3 zones to stand a chance at winning. the teams are too well coached, and too hungry, and the games all matter so much. having 1 floater and 4 guys giving 100% effort all time isnt good enough, particularly not for just 6 goals.

we tolerate it from Jagr because hes an offensive machine, but Dawes isnt near good enough to slack in the other zones.

Now dont get me wrong, he was excellent in the offensive zone, particularly when he had the puck and could create, but you need to be "in the game" for every single second of every single shift. its why ive been so beyond impressed with Dubinsky. watch him when he doesnt have the puck, or in the neutral zone, or in the defensive zone. the key word to remember is engagement. he engages the play head on, and makes things happen. that is why Dubinsky might be our best player right now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Incognito31

finally some love for my boy been backing him for years

Incognito31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:17 AM
FLYLine24*

Dawes has been a great goal scorer in EVERY league he has played in.I have no doubt he won't do the same in the NHL.

Old
01-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Is it possible he goes to the young stars game to replace Tyler Kennedy who is hurt?

Edit: Never Mind, Clarkson is going.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:20 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Is it possible he goes to the young stars game to replace Tyler Kennedy who is hurt?
Highly doubt it.

No way they bring 3 Rangers.

Old
01-25-2008, 02:45 AM
broadwayblue

Glad to see him getting a real chance and producing. So many people doubt this kid can make it...I hope he proves them all wrong.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Highly doubt it.

that would be pretty awesome though if they did.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
NYR Viper

i really like the way he is playing....and although he isnt stellar in the defensive end i have seen him down low fighting for pucks and helping the defenceman....his greatest skill though is getting open for that breakout pass....watch, when the puck goes up the other side or dubi gets the puck dawes always seems to be in the right spot to accept the pass and either get the red line or start the rush.......plus the fact he is extremely strong for his size....i love seeing larger players dumbfounded when they try and hit him and he doesnt move lol

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Liked Dawes since seeing him in the WJC the year after we drafted him.

He has a great shot but he also sets up nice passes. Good player.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Fletch

You need to give him credit.

for keeping his focus. He didn't do well went sent down last season but came around and when sent down this season, continued to played well in the AHL. The kid works hard and has some nice skill and hands. He still needs to work on his game, but he's quite young and is used to being an offensive juggernaut.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Highly doubt it.

He's already been replaced, I just can't think of the name of the newcomer taking his spot..

As for Dawes, an appreciation thread? Really? I don't agree, but regardless, to the seeing eye he is getting better and better. He could use a goal, but his playmaking seems to be on par with his goal scoring, and 30-25 numbers do not look far out of this mans league in future years.

Only downside is, his choice of positioning away from the puck, his size, and the fact that he most likely needs to be in the top six to be effective (lately this has been proven wrong, but earlier in the year this seemed a certainty).

Dawes will get better, as Dubinsky flies, Dawes will too. My only question to you is, when is Hossa getting back in? He will get back in, time will tell..

Edit: Apparantely, David Clarkson is Tyler Kennedy's replacement. This won't end up well with both Dubinsky and Staal on the same team. Especially Dubinsky, I believe he's already scrapped with young Clarkson.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Dawes really has been picking up his play as of late. Next to Dubinsky, I think he has been our best forward the past 3 games or so. I really think he is here to stay this time. As of now, he is a good 3rd liner, but for whether or not he reaches that top-6 forward potential, the jury is still out.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Fletch

Scrapping with Clarkson...

shouldn't be an issue with Dubi as he plays with him - that's part of being a professional. Ulf Samuelsson and Mess swung sticks at each other and then were teammates. Some guys get into a fight during the game, doing their job, then go out for a beer (don't ask for specifics, I just remember hearing that years back).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote