HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shame on Stephane Leroux!

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2008, 03:03 PM
_DrMario_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Maybe you should go to RDS boards then.

No thanks, I prefer the French hate here. Makes for a nice atmosphere.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
I'm not sure exactly what Leroux is implying.

Is he saying that these kids with ethnic background have less talent or that they are less motivated of playing in the Q? If it's the latter, I could honestly see that happening.

.... and that is coming from a guy (I.E. me) who was born from immigrant parents and despises Réjean Tremblay, Cherry and Bergeron with a passion. I'm just saying we should take our time before burning someone at the stake.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Kramy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post

Way too much existing to not be recognized. And we know who they are.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post

Is he saying that these kids with ethnic background have less talent or that they are less motivated of playing in the Q? If it's the latter, I could honestly see that happening.

.... and that is coming from a guy (I.E. me) who was born from immigrant parents and despises Réjean Tremblay, Cherry and Bergeron with a passion. I'm just saying we should take our time before burning someone at the stake.
Could I imply something similar in regards to the declining number of french Q players drafted?

Old
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Kramy

BTW I give the benefit of the doubt to Leroux, as Artie pointed out maybe he's blaming the Q teams for not drafting these "ethnic players". I'd rather say they are Québécois.

However if he's implying that ethinc player = bad hockey player, I'd say he's a pretty big idiot that doesn't know anything about anything. I'd be surprised though.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Could I imply something similar in regards to the declining number of french Q players drafted?
Well it would make sense. If I had a kid who wanted to pursue a hockey career, I'd tell him to try and get a scholarship in an American university rather than playing in the Q.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post
Well.... as I'm both French AND English, have genetic roots in both ethnicity, and have been to both here and RDS, I can tell you, without a doubt, that the 'hate' is much stronger against English folks at RDS than it is towards the French here....

But by your reaction to Leroux's comments, I wonder WHAT you are doing here.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
And Georges Laraque,Alain Nasreddine,-Mike Bossy,Matthew Lombardi(they don't count,they're anglophone though)
and the Biega brothers. They're not in the NHL yet but I do believe they are from another country originally.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:

Maybe Leroux is possibly stating the latter assumption,but honestly his comments are confusing and can be leading to diverse interpretations in every way.Nayway,I still stand with my opinion on his recent comments though.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
BTW I give the benefit of the doubt to Leroux, as Artie pointed out maybe he's blaming the Q teams for not drafting these "ethnic players".
I'm not sure how much sense that would make business wise. I don't really know the inner workings of the Q, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna draft the BPA regardless of their origin.

If that's not the case, I could see a GM drafting local players in later rounds in order to attract fans who would rather root for french speaking "Québécois".

Old
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
BTW I give the benefit of the doubt to Leroux, as Artie pointed out maybe he's blaming the Q teams for not drafting these "ethnic players". I'd rather say they are Québécois.

However if he's implying that ethinc player = bad hockey player, I'd say he's a pretty big idiot that doesn't know anything about anything. I'd be surprised though.
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply implied that ethnic communities, on average, don't regard hockey as a priority the same way Canadians do. But then, it wouldn't have been any fun, no one liners, no bashing, no The President ranting, just another thread.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Lambert Closse

I read the article too this morning and I have a feeling that what Leroux said mught have been misinterpreted by a journalist who doesn't follow hockey and didn't do much research.

She wrote that there haven't been an African-born player in the NHL which is not true: Rumun Ndur played for several teams:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=14095

Old
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Well it would make sense. If I had a kid who wanted to pursue a hockey career, I'd tell him to try and get a scholarship in an American university rather than playing in the Q.
This article was about Mohammed Manshad. Let me quote an other part of the article that comes before the Leroux part: "Ce qui fait les fait patiner? Les mêmes motifs que pour n'importe garçon."

A bad translation: "what make them skate? The same motivations then any other kids [they all want to make it to the NHL]"

Old
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Artie

Quote:
I'm not sure how much sense that would make business wise. I don't really know the inner workings of the Q, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna draft the BPA regardless of their origin.

If that's not the case, I could see a GM drafting local players in later rounds in order to attract fans who would rather root for french speaking "Québécois".
It's hard to understand what Q teams are thinking. They make starnge decisions every year.

I have personally seen them draft kids that have told them in advance that they would not report. Yet they waste the draft pick anyways.

BTW, Leroux should look into the development of the AAA Predateurs players before he makes any links to ethnicity and the Q. There could be a multitude of reasons:

Poor development
Poor talent base
Lack of interest to play for the Predateurs by the more talented players.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
This article was about Mohammed Manshad. Let me quote an other part of the article that comes before the Leroux part: "Ce qui fait les fait patiner? Les mêmes motifs que pour n'importe garçon."

A bad translation: "what make them skate? The same motivations then any other kids [they all want to make it to the NHL]"
Alright, I hadn't read the entire article, and by seeing this new quote I have to admit that it looks pretty bad.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
VanNistelrooy

Poor talent base ? Poor talent base in Montreal ?

The fact is the the Predateurs AAA are suckign BIG TIME in the Q. How come is is racist to just questions this issue ?

You guys are as moronic as he can is.

He just is pinpointing THE FACTS.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

lol ... this is nothing he said something worst on CKAC a while back on a similar theme, Stephane Leroux is a bit '' puelainiste '' at times.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I'd very much like to read this article by Leroux before making assumptions.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../6685/CPACTUEL

Quote:
Il cite l'exemple des Prédateurs de la ligue midget AAA (dernière étape montréalaise avant le junior majeur) qui n'ont pas impressionné grand monde depuis un bon moment.

«L'équipe compte plus de joueurs "ethniques" qu'avant. Je ne sais pas s'il y a un lien à faire, mais depuis quelques années, c'est le club qui fournit le moins de joueurs à la Ligue junior majeur du Québec. C'est peut-être gros de dire ça, mais je pense qu'il y a un effet.»

«Bull****!», rétorque un acteur du milieu, qui préfère garder l'anonymat. «Qu'un kid soit "ethnique" ou non, quelle différence ça fait s'il commence à patiner à 5 ans? Pour moi la question n'est pas l'origine, mais le système qui est en place. Si le programme est bon, ils vont se développer.»
Gimme 2 minutes and I'll translate.

EDIT:

Journalist Stéphane Leroux, who covers junior hockey at RDS, has a theory: according to him, the ethnic reality is partially responsible for the diminishing quality of minor hockey in Montreal.

He cites the midget AAA Predators(last step in Montreal hockey before the major junior leagues) which has not impressed many people in a while.

"The team has more and more "ethnic" players than before. I don't know if there's a link, but since a few years, it's the team that provides the least players to the Q. It might be big saying something like this, but I think there's an effect"

"********!" says someone in the field who would rather stay anonymous. "That a kid's ethnic or not, what difference does it make if he starts skating at 5 years old? To me, the question is not the origin, but the system that's in place. If the program is good, then they'll developp."

Last edited by Little Nilan: 01-25-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Sorry bub... It's mob rule around here, so either pick up a pitch fork and a torch or clear the road.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Kramy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well.... as I'm both French AND English, have genetic roots in both ethnicity, and have been to both here and RDS, I can tell you, without a doubt, that the 'hate' is much stronger against English folks at RDS than it is towards the French here....
One of the craziest statements I read on these boards. You are totally wrong, you can't be serious.

Old
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080125/CPACTUEL/801250863/6685/CPACTUEL

Gimme 2 minutes and I'll translate.

EDIT:

Journalist Stéphane Leroux, who covers junior hockey at RDS, has a theory: according to him, the ethnic reality is partially responsible for the diminishing quality of minor hockey in Montreal.

He cites the midget AAA Predators(last step in Montreal hockey before the major junior leagues) which has not impressed many people in a while.

"The team has more and more "ethnic" players than before. I don't know if there's a link, but since a few years, it's the team that provides the least players to the Q. It might be big saying something like this, but I think there's an effect"

"********!" says someone in the field who would rather stay anonymous. "That a kid's ethnic or not, what difference does it make if he starts skating at 5 years old? To me, the question is not the origin, but the system that's in place. If the program is good, then they'll developp."
Hmmm, where have I heard that before....

Old
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Hmmm, where have I heard that before....
Yeah, there's a bit of hypocrisy everywhere when you look for it. I agree with that comment, not just for Montreal, but for the province as a whole. When Canada was going through it's phase a few years ago seeing the Czechs and Russians dominate the international scene, they did their homework and put the effort in improving the program. It's time to do the same here.

Old
01-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Vlad The Impaler

The single, isolated quote by Leroux doesn't say much about his state of mind.

Is he saying the QMJHL discriminates against ethnic diversity?

Is he talking about recent immigrants with few years of experience in hockey having trouble making it to the next level?

Is he saying hockey is a "pure laine sports"?

The possible implications are big enough that I am going to try to contact him. Some of the explanations are harmless. Others mildly controversial while some are just despicable.

Old
01-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Artie

Quote:

The article was not written by Leroux. He was simply quoted in the article.

edit: I was writing as you were posting.

Closed Thread