HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Monday Morning Garrioch

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 01:44 PM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Monday Morning Garrioch

A couple of columns of mild interest this morning (and no, Iím not going to do this every day).

McPhee listening to offers for Bondra other than Senators'

Quote:
While the Devils and Leafs have also held talks with the Hurricanes about winger Jeff O'Neill, the reality is Bondra is going to come at a cheaper price. Carolina wants two top young prospects in return for O'Neill.
"The Devils need to get more scoring," the league executive said. "Bondra is one of the purest goal scorers in the league. All he does every year is score 30 goals. That's why a lot of teams want him. He can help"

Note that Garrioch did not repeat his silly Gomez for Bondra thought today.
Quote:
A player who has been a nice surprise is Binghamton callup Josh Langfeld. Though he's on an emergency recall from the club's AHL affiliate, the winger has scored four goals in six games while seeing action on a line with Marian Hossa and Radek Bonk.
Langfeld's situation will have to be settled once winger Antoine Vermette (shoulder) returns to the lineup this week, but Martin said if Langfeld is returned to the minors, he'll get another chance in Ottawa.
"I don't know what's going to happen. That's a situation I'm going to have to discuss with (GM) John Muckler," said Martin. "There's no question that he's done a great job for us. He's played well with Bonk and Hossa.
"(Langfeld) has kind of been a late bloomer. I would compare him to a guy like Todd White. (White) was a guy who came to camp, didn't perform very well and then got his chance and took a spot. (Langfeld) has been good. We're just going to have to see what happens."

Darn that (Langfeld), that was Bondraís spot on the Hossa and Bonk line.

And covering the Rags:
New York media critical of Sather after lobsided loss to Sens

Quote:
Under the headline "Ja-roble Throughout," the Post's Larry Brooks wrote if Sather didn't hold all three positions, he would have been let go following the lobsided loss.
"This was a game that would get a coach fired if he didn't also happen to be the GM," wrote Brooks. "This was a game that exposes the talk about progress to be as credible as an announcement from Baghdad Bob. This was a game that, once and for all, exposes the Rangers for the world to see. Ö
"I think, fundamentally, we are the worst team in the NHL," Rangers centre Bobby Holik. "Fundamentals are what you rely upon when things aren't going well. You need to have the basics there to fall back on."

Fundamentally speaking, Holik is saying Sather is not doing his job as coach. Of course Sather could say the same thing about Holik.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Takeo

Why does Garrioch have a job? I mean really.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:40 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
A couple of columns of mild interest this morning (and no, Iím not going to do this every day).

McPhee listening to offers for Bondra other than Senators'

Note that Garrioch did not repeat his silly Gomez for Bondra thought today.

Darn that (Langfeld), that was Bondraís spot on the Hossa and Bonk line.

And covering the Rags:
New York media critical of Sather after lobsided loss to Sens

Fundamentally speaking, Holik is saying Sather is not doing his job as coach. Of course Sather could say the same thing about Holik.
What caught my attention about the article by Garrioch on the Rags (sorry, really bad mental imagery there) was that I have no clue how the Sun puts up with paying a scribe to write a column that consists of cut and pasted quotes from other newspapers!!!!!! That's what constitues "writing a column?"

For the sake of the nation(s) of journalists currently getting their education, I hope they never see one of his columns and realize just how little work can be done to get a paycheck. Our newspapers will suffer dearly.

And I love how the annual "New Jersey needs scoring" line was flung out there.

Didn't the "un-named league sources/experts/officals" say the same thing last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that?

Old
01-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
What caught my attention about the article by Garrioch on the Rags (sorry, really bad mental imagery there) was that I have no clue how the Sun puts up with paying a scribe to write a column that consists of cut and pasted quotes from other newspapers!!!!!! That's what constitues "writing a column?"
I don't really intend to defend Garrioch, but it was telling and notable that all NY scribes have blasted Sather en-masse..

They have, for the most part, of Sather's tenure, not been united in their criticism where it belonged. A couple here, a couple there might have written something, but most have lapped up Sathers koolaid all along.. Until now..

And when beat writers start to gang up on a Pres/GM/Coach, the ownership HAS to respond one way or another.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Editor: And why do I keep you employed?

Garrioch:.... ( puzzled look )... Cause your the grandfather of my children.

Editor: oh yeah.... (shakes head)

Old
01-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Editor: And why do I keep you employed?

Garrioch:.... ( puzzled look )... Cause your the grandfather of my children.

Editor: oh yeah.... (shakes head)
What a good comercial.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:53 PM
TexSen

Anyone else notice that Garrioch's rumours have become increasingly more silly the more outlandish Bill Watter's get.

It's like a freakin' arms race of bad trade rumours, and only we, the innocent suffer!

Old
01-26-2004, 11:46 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Because the casual fan just sucks it up and dreams. And also it gets the pot stirring in other rumour mills as other reporters try to find rumours just as juicy(however untrue they may be). It's the news, and despite it being sports news, a rumour for a story is just as good as a true story.

Old
01-27-2004, 02:34 AM
Jagrock

[QUOTE=officeglen]A couple of columns of mild interest this morning (and no, Iím not going to do this every day).

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Its too bad you couldnt. It made a nice suprise this Monday OG.
Good work and thanks.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Rodent

Actually, Langfeld has scored five goals, not four. He potted one against Lalime on Saturday. Matt Barnaby was given credit. But Barnaby never touched the puck. Langfeld backhanded a pass to the sprawled Lalime and it went through.

Closed Thread