HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Komisarek our best defenseman?

View Poll Results: Who's our best defenseman?
Markov 151 74.75%
Komisarek 51 25.25%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
Not a valid poll.
Komi is great and has made vast improvements, however will never be as talented as Markov.
Saying that they really are two different kinds of players, Komi is a more stay at home, in your face, brick wall.
Markov is just extremely skilled ex. hockey sense, vision, offensive, stickhandling, shot. you know those sorts of things.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
impudent_lowlife

I miss Souray's highlight reel one-on-one confrontations with Spezza...

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 12:34 PM
kostitsyn1489

Last year I'd have said,

Markov by at least 2 miles and a half. He was awesome offensively and nearly perfect on the defensive end. He played exactly like Lidstrom, at a lesser extent.

Komi punished people alot, but he still made mistake due to agressiveness. Sometimes Markov needed to recover sicne he was a bit too agressive so he got out of the play.

This season,

Markov isnt as effective as he was on defense last year, still a pretty good players, but to me it seems like he's missing some plays sometimes, hey you cant ask for perfection every year, but he turned the puck over when making a first pass alot more then last year and soetimes he juust loses the puck, things he didnt do last season. He isnt missing that much either, just more then last year where he was nearly perfect.

For Komi, his little brain cramp are gone. I see a big difference in his first pass, not as deadly as markov's, but it's on the tape and puck get out of the zone pretty quickly and it really helps our transition. He rarely miss. Also when he'a going for a big play like Block shot or big hits, he never gets out of position. The main proof is that he can do both at once. He hits, but he stays involved on the play and still can block shot. You'll often see a guy blockin tons of shot, but not hitting that much or vice versa, but really he does both.

And at some point it might explain why Markov doesnt look as good defesively. Last year he knew he had to somewhat cover Komi even if he was the suposed offensive guy on the pairing. Now he knows he can trust Komi and that even if Komi is in a bit on trouble he'll step up and make the big play. Which i dont think we could really say last season, he could, but not like every time as he does this year.

Many people says Markov's production went up due to Souray gone, as it might be a part of the reason, i think Markov being more confident in Komi and knowing that he can take a little more risk to make a play makes him even more deadly offensively and on the transition.

To me Markov is the main guy on this pairing, but i think it's somewhat stupid to tell any weakness of one to tell how good/important the other is. At some point they are partner and it's not about how good one is vs the other it's about how effective they are together and it's nice to see that both can shut down player pretty easily and one can punish while the other brings offense. It's a pretty scary pairing to play against.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
jpguy13

Great thread

First I think that I'll have to say Markov as well. Markov is more of the Lidstrom-type, not as great as him, but with a more subdued, smarter way of playing defensively. He plays smart, and he does make mistakes, but he's not a defensive liability as is the case with many offensive defensemen (see file: Souray, Sheldon).

Dobber, of the famed Dobberhockey website, sees Komi as a possible 40-points a year defenseman. I think that that prediction is not far off. This year we've seen Komisarek more and more on the offense. Actually, I think that if he'd shown more inklings of offense last year, there would have been no need to get Patrice "please don't hit me!" Brisebois during the summer. Very soon, he'll be one of the great great defensemen in this league. If he can learn some more smarts from Markov, it'll be great.

Now for my second point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
About the big three: maybe we would have been closer with Souray...Markov, Komisarek, Souray... (that is...a healthy Souray! that's the one thing I disliked about him...always, always injured, other than that he was a real body-guard to our goalies with lots of character with a boomer of a shot, and/but I'm more than happy with our, also#44!, Hamrlik).
To call Sheldon Souray a defensemen is a slight to defensemen. Sheldon Souray is a power play point-man, with great leadership, physical presence and grit, but that's it. He has issues in mobility, speed, passing, and always was prone to taking temper-related penalties. -29 does not a defenseman make. Oh, and he's also a "band-aid boy". And did Souray make the PP great last year, or did the PP make Souray great? Think about it!

Hamrlik, until the last 4-5 games, was stalwart on the blue line, bringing much-needed defensive acumen, and a relatively good offensive production. He also, as emphasized earlier, become a leader for our young defensemen.

Hence, I think he is a better "third" than Souray. We've got our best big three in years! Hurrah!

jpguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think so. I know most people will vote Markov but to me Komisarek has really brought his game to a whole new level in the past few months. What do you think?
Markov wouldn't be at the all star game without Komisarek.
Grated.
He wouldn't have the liberty he has now to go on the offense, etc. And might not have as much confidence if he didn't have a "big guy" standing right next to him...

However, remove Markov from this team... and we're back to average. (in fact, when he missed a couple of games two season ago -- 67 games 10 g 36 a 46 pts +13 -- we had a Terrible streak)

Don't misunderstand though. Komisarek is huge, and we wouldn't be an elite team without him either... But we would still compete because of Markov... Without Markov, we are nothing. Markov = Habs MVP hands down.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Hey, TU...you're up mighty late....ha ha.

Yeah, Andre "The Giant" Markov does indeed rock.
Markov has solidified himself as a definite Top 10 guy in the league, IMO. He's the best player on Montreal, and I really don't think it's close.

And I was having insomnia.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
They compliment each other. Both would suffer to some degree without feeding off each others strengths and weaknesses.
Good point.They're complimenting each other very well,and the reasons you have mentioned is why we can definitely make a case to nominate this pairing as top-10 calibre IMO.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpguy13 View Post
First I think that I'll have to say Markov as well. Markov is more of the Lidstrom-type, not as great as him, but with a more subdued, smarter way of playing defensively. He plays smart, and he does make mistakes, but he's not a defensive liability as is the case with many offensive defensemen (see file: Souray, Sheldon).

Dobber, of the famed Dobberhockey website, sees Komi as a possible 40-points a year defenseman. I think that that prediction is not far off. This year we've seen Komisarek more and more on the offense. Actually, I think that if he'd shown more inklings of offense last year, there would have been no need to get Patrice "please don't hit me!" Brisebois during the summer. Very soon, he'll be one of the great great defensemen in this league. If he can learn some more smarts from Markov, it'll be great.

Now for my second point:

To call Sheldon Souray a defensemen is a slight to defensemen. Sheldon Souray is a power play point-man, with great leadership, physical presence and grit, but that's it. He has issues in mobility, speed, passing, and always was prone to taking temper-related penalties. -29 does not a defenseman make. Oh, and he's also a "band-aid boy". And did Souray make the PP great last year, or did the PP make Souray great? Think about it!

Hamrlik, until the last 4-5 games, was stalwart on the blue line, bringing much-needed defensive acumen, and a relatively good offensive production. He also, as emphasized earlier, become a leader for our young defensemen.

Hence, I think he is a better "third" than Souray. We've got our best big three in years! Hurrah!
I'm definitely happy with Hamrlik. IMO, he would be a solid #3 D-Man on any team.

And, about Komisarek and points...when Souray first came to Montreal, I think if I can remember correctly, he was pegged as a defensive defenseman (physical, rugged, with maybe some potential on offense, and I think that was a huge maybe..., no?).

So, will Komisarek ever reach 40 pts? The chances are very high, imo. It all depends on when the coach will give him PP time (not that I'm waiting!). He does have a boomer of a shot, but we rarely see it (no PP time), but I'm not complaining and I'm sure Komisarek is not complaining!.

And, if Komisarek averaged 20-25 pts (not more) per season, I'll take it with a huuuuuge smile. Pts or not, Komisarek is a very solid TOP 2 D-Man.
He can do no wrong!! I say sign Komisarek to 7 years+. This guy is dedicated. Could easily be our future captain.

The day we drafted Komi lucky 7th overall is...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Markov easilly !!

Markov is better than Komisarek in every aspects of the game not called physical and blocking shots !!

People are saying that Komisarek is better defensively than Markov, which is absolutly a false statement, because Markov is one of the best in the defensive zone. Komisarek plays a flashier style(big hitter and physical presence), but he is not as good as Markov in the decision making department. Markov is almost unbeatable one-on-one(ask Ovechkin, Alfredsson and Crosby), he can own forwards just by poke checking and then make an absolutly beautiful pass to clear the zone.

Markov can control the play, not Komisarek. The Habs can still win games without Komisarek, but if Markov is injured, the Habs are screwed big time !!
You must not have watched the recent Habs games. Because Komi was controling the play. Even more than Markov. He was setting the tone and was a great help offensively.

This is what posters, voters, etc...do not get. Because they only see Komi has this one-dimensional hitter. But his play has changed dramatically, his confidence level has become so high that there's nothing he can't do right. I would even entertain the idea that if Carbo would put him on the PP he would do great.

Markov may be smarter to some extent but defensively he has made tons of mistakes this year in his zone. And made tons of passes that hasn't reached their targets.

Again people are voting based on reputations. But watch next game, especially these two players very carefully. And then come back to tell the tale.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:31 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Komi and Markov can hurt you in SO many ways! Komi with his hits and solid defensive play and Matkov who is very hard to beat one on one and is the best at offense for a d-man in my book.
Probably the best way of putting it. In the end though I still think Markov is ahead overall.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote