HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : Atonement

Old
01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Uber Coca

vCash: 500
OT : Atonement

Did you see this movie? I went to the Brossard's CineplexOdeon, and for once in like 2 years, I'm happy I spent 10$ to watch this film. Atonement had a good reputation with all the nominations, and it's great. The actors, the story and the music are all good ; but the montage and the way the director plays with time makes for a beautiful ending.

The scene where the main character (with his folks) meet their army on the beach is one of the most beautiful scenes I've watched (I've been for 3 years in a Cinema class, not that it matters a lot, but I've been able to watch a lot classic movies, or just movies). The music and the pictures are very well matched (it's more of a sequence, since they are very few cuts).

One of the best films I've seen. Your toughts?

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:02 AM
dynamoovechkin

Just got back from seeing it tonight. Brilliant direction, especially that scene that captures the British retreat from Dunkirk- instant classic.

It was a fresh take from a directorial standpoint, and the cinematography and score were perfect to support the story- definitely award material in my book.

An amazing screen adaptation of a devastating story that worked on so many levels. The acting was incredible, but the deft touch by the director Joe Wright was pitch perfect.

Great stuff, the kind of tour de force that great films are made of!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:15 AM
brownman*

Well they certainly didn't exhibit any of these qualities, mentioned by you guys, in the trailers

Looks like another throwaway been-there-done-that romance to me but alas one shan't judge a movie by its trailer.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Estimated_Prophet

I haven't seen the movie yet but the book was an incredible read. I have heard nothing but great things about the movie and apparently it does not let the tremendous writing of Ian McEwan go to waste.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Well they certainly didn't exhibit any of these qualities, mentioned by you guys, in the trailers

Looks like another throwaway been-there-done-that romance to me but alas one shan't judge a movie by its trailer.
Yeah I had the choice between "There will be blood" and "Atonement". The trailer didn't inspired me a lot when I saw it ; awesome film though.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet but the book was an incredible read. I have heard nothing but great things about the movie and apparently it does not let the tremendous writing of Ian McEwan go to waste.
Ian McEwan...great!! I didn't know that this movie was based on one of his books. He's a pretty original writer. This is probably not the first time a film was based on one of his books, no? (if I'm not wrong).

Thanks to "Ron Hainsey" for the recommendation.

I like the fact that you can have reviews from (you and I) with films from the AMC film website. Do any of you read 'em? (reviews).
The other film theatre (formerly "Paramount) doesn't include this (reviews from viewers). IMO, it's great to get reviews from you and I (this way we won't get scammed by "bomb" movies since there are ratings, but to each his/her own...ratings can sometimes be over or underrated...).

Also...did any of you see "The Diving bell and the butterfly" ?
I heard/read it was very good.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Is there any hockey in that movie?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Is there any hockey in that movie?
Subtitled: the Todd Bertuzzi story in Vancouver.

There ya go.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Pascal

There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were the best two movies this year by far. I'm going to see Blood again next week.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
McTusk

There Will Be Blood is the best movie ever, not just this year, I'm seeing it for a 2nd time today, it's perfect and satisfying in every way a movie can be, I'm still shocked at how amazing it is.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Pascal

Yea, one of my favorites ever for sure. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in it. He better win the Oscar.

Both movies were very gripping and made you think for days after seeing it.. they have so many layers to them, it's very interesting to discuss about them because different people will have different interpretations.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
thehabsvolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I heard both movies were great (powerful).

And, I heard Daniel Day Lewis's performance was incredible (one movie critic compared him to Marlon Brando).

"No Country for old men" : this is the Coen brothers' movie right?

I have got to get out more often and see one or two of these movies!
Although this is just my opinion...I have seen all of Daniel Day-Lewis' movies and he is one of if not the greatest actor of all time. The way in which he approaches his characters is absolute devotion. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever read about. He has been my favorite actor and one of the reasons why I am an actor. He is inspiring to watch perform. He gives hope that the craft is still alive. If you liked there will be blood, check out some of his other great movies such as my left foot, in the name of the father, the boxer, gangs of new york, the ballad of jack and rose....those are my favorites of his.

thehabsvolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Mue

My girlfriend is reading the book right now.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
redmachine54

The novel actually got me back into reading books again. Excellent read.

Haven't seen the movie yet, though.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey View Post
Did you see this movie? I went to the Brossard's CineplexOdeon, and for once in like 2 years, I'm happy I spent 10$ to watch this film. Atonement had a good reputation with all the nominations, and it's great. The actors, the story and the music are all good ; but the montage and the way the director plays with time makes for a beautiful ending.

The scene where the main character (with his folks) meet their army on the beach is one of the most beautiful scenes I've watched (I've been for 3 years in a Cinema class, not that it matters a lot, but I've been able to watch a lot classic movies, or just movies). The music and the pictures are very well matched (it's more of a sequence, since they are very few cuts).

One of the best films I've seen. Your toughts?
With all the hype, I was expecting something special...and I totally envisioned and wanted to see a huge, sweeping, romantic war epic.

Instead, what I found was a very predictable movie with lots of promise that ultimately failed, esp. with the anti-climatic finish.

I am truly disappointed to say that it was a HUGE let down!

Although there were redeeming qualities and some good story telling, there were too many flash backs that kept the story from flowing...and then the whole ending with Vannessa Redgrave was just simply disappointing.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
With all the hype, I was expecting something special...and I totally envisioned and wanted to see a huge, sweeping, romantic war epic.

Instead, what I found was a very predictable movie with lots of promise that ultimately failed, esp. with the anti-climatic finish.

I am truly disappointed to say that it was a HUGE let down!

Although there were redeeming qualities and some good story telling, there were too many flash backs that kept the story from flowing...and then the whole ending with Vannessa Redgrave was just simply disappointing.
I hear you. The subject has been worked around too much so it's becoming easily predictable. I found the flashbacks really interesting since the movie was, like you said, predictable. All those flashbacks helped put things into perspective (the different version of what really happened in some moments ; it also helped having a beautiful ending.) I don't think it ruined the flow of the movie ; the film himself is full of cuts and a tight montage.

Some pictures were awesome and the music too. Again, the sequence on the beach is epic.

Some things are a matter of opinions ; but some scenes and sequences are just epic.