HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pathetic

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
reg dunlop

vCash: 500
Pathetic

what is it with this team? every year they continually throw money at any free agent or acquire "skilled" players all the time... the team has no chemistry, they are all individuals... i know it pains Ranger fans to hear this, but look at a team like Jersey. everything is about the team, nobody is bigger than the team... you think Sather would know this from his days in edmonton, sure they had more talent than anybody, but he would always acquire character players.. the rangers pay 9 million for Holik, when no other team would pay more than about 6?? they acquire "me" players such as Lindros and Bure, and wonder why they dont come together as a team... and it is not like they have great prospects coming up... how does sather keep his job, he has a roster of untradeable players because they are so overpaid... this teams philosphy has to change or they wont make the playoffs for another 6 years...

Old
01-26-2004, 06:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
what is it with this team? every year they continually throw money at any free agent or acquire "skilled" players all the time... the team has no chemistry, they are all individuals... i know it pains Ranger fans to hear this, but look at a team like Jersey. everything is about the team, nobody is bigger than the team... you think Sather would know this from his days in edmonton, sure they had more talent than anybody, but he would always acquire character players.. the rangers pay 9 million for Holik, when no other team would pay more than about 6?? they acquire "me" players such as Lindros and Bure, and wonder why they dont come together as a team... and it is not like they have great prospects coming up... how does sather keep his job, he has a roster of untradeable players because they are so overpaid... this teams philosphy has to change or they wont make the playoffs for another 6 years...

Okay, while your sentiment is on target, could you be somewhat accurate with your information? Toronto offered Holik $8 million per for five years, and the Devils offered Holik $8.5 million for five years, but Holik took the $9 million per offered by the Rangers. Holik was going to get his money last year whether or not the Rangers were involved.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Okay, while your sentiment is on target, could you be somewhat accurate with your information? Toronto offered Holik $8 million per for five years, and the Devils offered Holik $8.5 million for five years, but Holik took the $9 million per offered by the Rangers. Holik was going to get his money last year whether or not the Rangers were involved.

Now wait a minute jas, I think Reg is on to something..

He points out that this is a "team" of individuals, with no chemistry, and they throw money at free agents and aquire skill players without thought..

Then he goes on to suggest, gulp!, that New Jersey may be a good model for building a team.. I think they may have won something recently, so it makes sense..

Then he has the temerity to suggest the Ranger philosophy has to change..

Hmm.. Makes one think.. These are the type of bold, brash and outside the box thoughts that Ranger fans need to listen to..

Quite shocking in its simplicity, but damn if that player/coach isn't on to something!!

Old
01-26-2004, 07:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

But, Davisian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Now wait a minute jas, I think Reg is on to something..

He points out that this is a "team" of individuals, with no chemistry, and they throw money at free agents and aquire skill players without thought..

Then he goes on to suggest, gulp!, that New Jersey may be a good model for building a team.. I think they may have won something recently, so it makes sense..

Then he has the temerity to suggest the Ranger philosophy has to change..

Hmm.. Makes one think.. These are the type of bold, brash and outside the box thoughts that Ranger fans need to listen to..

Quite shocking in its simplicity, but damn if that player/coach isn't on to something!!

I'm a Ranger fan...AND I WANT STAR PLAYERS, WITH OBSCENE MONEY THROWN AT THEM!!! THIS NEW YORK AND I DEMAND A WINNER RIGHT NOW!!!

Old
01-26-2004, 07:15 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I'm a Ranger fan...AND I WANT STAR PLAYERS, WITH OBSCENE MONEY THROWN AT THEM!!! THIS NEW YORK AND I DEMAND A WINNER RIGHT NOW!!!
HOT DAMN!!!!!

How many other boards actually have a post from the team's owner.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
hehehe.. Yeah, you're right..

Team building is for LOOOOOSSEERRRSS..

We prefer our failures to be SPECTACULAR..

Old
01-26-2004, 07:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Jeez, Klingsor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
HOT DAMN!!!!!

How many other boards actually have a post from the team's owner.
Now I feel like I need to take a shower! :p

Old
01-26-2004, 07:34 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Now I feel like I need to take a shower! :p
Your post was great. I could imagine Dolan sitting in his highchair with those words spewing out of his ugly mouth upon the mere mention of having to be patient while the team was properly rebuilt.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

It was also a response to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Your post was great. I could imagine Dolan sitting in his highchair with those words spewing out of his ugly mouth upon the mere mention of having to be patient while the team was properly rebuilt.
the cliched approach of the media. Even in his exceptional piece on NHL2Night last night, EJ Hradek resorted to the same empty rhetoric of how NY fans are impatient and demand a winner. That's BS, most Ranger fans were more than ready to embrace rebuilding programs in '98, '99... It is the media that is impatient. Afterall, how can a fan base that sat through fifty-four years of futility EVER be considered impatient. I bet at least seventy-five per cent of every Ranger fan polled would sit through at least three to five years of an actual rebuilding program, where draft picks were accumulated and talent is developed. But, the Dolans are more concerned with squeezing money out of their corporate clientele, and could give a rat's patoot about the fans. Meanwhile the GM/coach/SuperGenius has has downright hostility towards the fans. But, we're impatient.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Edge

i dont even think its the NY media, its the clowns running the show.

From an outside NY perspective, i can tell you that if i didnt know any better and i saw the players you acquired, the moves you've made, etc. I too would think that NY was impatient.

Guys like Steinbrenner, Dolan, etc. they are reasons behind that image.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas

i seriously doubt the Devils offered 8.5 to Holik... not sure about Toronto. they say that New York cant afford to rebuild the proper way as the fans cant accept a loser, well that is exactly what yu have had for 6 years or so.. sadly i am a flames fan, so i know what it is like to lose all the time, but i would sooner lose and spend 35 million doing so..

Reg knows hockey

Old
01-26-2004, 09:04 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

You can seriously doubt all you want...

Quote:
i seriously doubt the Devils offered 8.5 to Holik... not sure about Toronto. they say that New York cant afford to rebuild the proper way as the fans cant accept a loser, well that is exactly what yu have had for 6 years or so.. sadly i am a flames fan, so i know what it is like to lose all the time, but i would sooner lose and spend 35 million doing so..

Reg knows hockey

Lameriello was quoted after the signing that the Devils offered Holik a package of $42.5 million for five years.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
the cliched approach of the media. Even in his exceptional piece on NHL2Night last night, EJ Hradek resorted to the same empty rhetoric of how NY fans are impatient and demand a winner. That's BS, most Ranger fans were more than ready to embrace rebuilding programs in '98, '99... It is the media that is impatient. Afterall, how can a fan base that sat through fifty-four years of futility EVER be considered impatient. I bet at least seventy-five per cent of every Ranger fan polled would sit through at least three to five years of an actual rebuilding program, where draft picks were accumulated and talent is developed. But, the Dolans are more concerned with squeezing money out of their corporate clientele, and could give a rat's patoot about the fans. Meanwhile the GM/coach/SuperGenius has has downright hostility towards the fans. But, we're impatient.

I agree totally. I'd rather lose every other game with guys named Heatly and Kovalchuk and Nash than with this crop of has-been's and never-will-be's. At least I'd know that the future was bright, and in a few years we might even be a championship franchise. Now, what's there to look forward to? It's a win today hockey team that just can't seem to win. What's the prognosis for this team in the next five years when Kovalev's 36, Jagr's 37, Holik's 37, Leetch's possibly retired, Messier's possibly retired ( ), etc., etc. Add this to a bare prospects cupboard and atrocious drafting and we're neck deep in crap and no way of getting out. If Sather had half the brains he tricked the Hockey world into believing he had, he would have started loading this team up with young talent. Instead of making the big splash for a Jagr, go for a top five pick in draft. I'd rather see a Lundmark go for a high quality prospect than for a Jagr type. They have no players they can build their team around. No core. No Culture.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Fletch

The New York Media..

could care less about the Rangers. The Rangers cannot make it to the back page of the Post, meaning, there's little interest out there.

But honestly, New York demands a winner, who doesn't? The fanbase of the Rangers isn't elastic enough to endure seasons of losing. Rebuilding was/is an option, but one doesn't know the outcome of rebuilding - heck, the team could be worse-off, believe it or not. And nobody's going to attend games of a team that keeps losing, even if a bunch of kids are trying (especially in New York where there's just so much more to do). The stands will not be filled every night. And guess what, if this was Carolina, or some other cities in whcih a team goes 7 straight without playoffs, there's a chance there's no team in that city, or the team would be sold. There aren't many out there that will support losers for a long period of time.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

That's the point, Fletch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
could care less about the Rangers. The Rangers cannot make it to the back page of the Post, meaning, there's little interest out there.

But honestly, New York demands a winner, who doesn't? The fanbase of the Rangers isn't elastic enough to endure seasons of losing. Rebuilding was/is an option, but one doesn't know the outcome of rebuilding - heck, the team could be worse-off, believe it or not. And nobody's going to attend games of a team that keeps losing, even if a bunch of kids are trying (especially in New York where there's just so much more to do). The stands will not be filled every night. And guess what, if this was Carolina, or some other cities in whcih a team goes 7 straight without playoffs, there's a chance there's no team in that city, or the team would be sold. There aren't many out there that will support losers for a long period of time.

We do stick with this team. And, while the overall NY media doesn't give to whits about the Rangers, the hockey beat writers are VERY reactionary.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:26 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Just don't root for the Rangers once Calgary is contracted.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Edge

i dont think the media isnt interested in the rangers, so much as in the past 20 years, with the exception of the 90's when this team was hot, what exactly have they had to write about?

the rangers lack of media attention is due more to their lack of success as a whole, throughout their history, rather than any bias for them. You saw the 90's, you couldn't touch tickets, merchandise was hot, the rangers were talked about, but when you pull the moves this team has, you're gonna lose some attention.

Closed Thread