HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Blue Jackets Trade Rumors/Fan Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2008, 08:03 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Haha...awesome, Kallio. Thanks for making me feel all-powerful.

Here's my top 5 most desired (and most realistic) trade targets as of today:

1. Olli Jokinen
2. Marian Hossa
3. Patrick Marleau
4. Brian Campbell
5. Vaclav Prospal

Old
01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Haha...awesome, Kallio. Thanks for making me feel all-powerful.

Here's my top 5 most desired (and most realistic) trade targets as of today:

1. Olli Jokinen
2. Marian Hossa
3. Patrick Marleau
4. Brian Campbell
5. Vaclav Prospal
I'll second that. Good list DJ!

Old
01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'll second that. Good list DJ!
Thirded

Old
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

David Vyborny

I know that he's having a difficult season but he used to be a solid player.

What could you tell me about his game? (not just this year)

Old
01-27-2008, 01:01 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Mmm the Powers That Be got Z signed two summers ago against Doug's advice and desire... I hardly think that NOW the "powers" are going to ship Z off for anyone, not anyone. Makes no sense at all.
Top line, franchise type, center. They are harder to get then wingers. I could see them moving Z for one.

Not an easy decision, and likely wouldn't be popular. But in the long run, a trade like that might end up being the best move we could make. It would make a lot of sense to me.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:28 AM
JACKETS! on the PP

Wasn't Howson trying to acquire Z while in Edmonton?

No way they trade him. Remember that Hockey News cover - "The Rick and Nick Show" from a few years ago??? That dream has finally been realized. It's in the best interest of the team to keep those two together for as long as possible.

No way. He's playing as much "Hitch" hockey as anyone.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:36 AM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cbj View Post
There's all kinds of talk on the Rangers message boards about who they could trade to get Nash...I say "dream on!"
The only way I would trade Nash to New York would be for Gomez, Drury, Jagr and the Statue of Liberty and I can't imagine that NYC is willing to give up her.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:37 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
Make of this what you will

Was just at the Nationwide Blueline about 40 minutes ago. Walking in, they had an entire display wall of t-shirts with player names. No Zherdev.

Another wall of jerseys with names. No Zherdev.

Wall of hats with player names and numbers. No Zherdev.

I commented to the FemSpoon that it was odd not to have even a single Zherdev item in the entire store - not one that I saw.

Then I noticed a pile of official jerseys, all of them Zherdev, piled back behind a wall between the registers and the Nationwide Blvd display area. They were all piled neatly on top of each other, on hangers.

My immediate thought was that they had pulled them in advance of a trade, something that I know has happened in the past when a trade has been made but not yet announced.

Now, that of course is all complete and utter speculation.

Anyway, I asked the guy behind the register what the deal was and he said that they had just gotten the jerseys *in* because Zherdev was playing more now. Which could easily be the explanation. I just found it odd that there was not ONE other Zherdev item in the store and here are all the jerseys hidden away from customers.

But if you start hearing rumors about Z being traded, think twice before you dismiss them...

PS They had a nice team photo from the 01-02 season in the 70% off section in the event anybody is looking to add to a collection or, like me, has an indelible mancrush on Robert Kron and/or JLGP.
Z is not going anywhere, no way, no how, if anything, they were out of Z merch because it's selling so well now. I hardly think that the dopes at the Blueline would know before the media about a trade.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:41 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
Certainly that could be the case.With the way he's playing, it's likely there's been a run on his merch.

I'm just saying. Maybe we could get a report from somebody who was at the Blueline earlier this week - maybe they noticed Z merch was out of stock.

I would hate it if he went anywhere - I get giddy whenever he's got the puck. But if there's an "expendable" blue chipper on this team that would get value in return, he's it. With Lindstrom (moved to wing), Pineault, Voracek, Legein we have a lot of decent talent that could fill in now and in the future.

If there's a big trade, I half expect Z to be involved.
Have you all lost your minds? Zherdev is our best player, yes including Nash, and there is no way that he is being traded for anyone. I don't think there is a scenario out there where he goes anywhere right now, just stop it already with Z talk.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
JACKETS! on the PP

C'mon... This time next year Z will be wearing a CBJ jersey in Montreal playing in the All-Star game.

Wait, I mean he'll be wearing a Western Conference jersey with a CBJ patch on the shoulder.

Old
01-27-2008, 02:05 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post
C'mon... This time next year Z will be wearing a CBJ jersey in Montreal playing in the All-Star game.

Wait, I mean he'll be wearing a Western Conference jersey with a CBJ patch on the shoulder.
Quite likely.

Just some food for thought, Zherdev is coming up on the final year of his current contract. If his numbers continue to rise, he's likely going to be over 5 mil a year, min.

You sign a top line center, along with Leclaire's next contract...

You could easily have over 20 million allocated before you even get to Zherdev.

Old
01-27-2008, 02:11 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Quite likely.

Just some food for thought, Zherdev is coming up on the final year of his current contract. If his numbers continue to rise, he's likely going to be over 5 mil a year, min.

A top line center is not even our biggest concern, I would be fine with not signing a center, we have plenty of forwards that are developing. My concern is a puck moving defensemen, that is our number 1 need by far, forget the center, get a defensemen that can bring the puck up ice and our forwards will be fine.

Old
01-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Mogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Quite likely.

Maybe that means that the top line center we get is actually a trade for a guy who has 1 year left on his contract - making way in 09-10 for Brassard and Brule to be our #1 and #2 centermen.

And reconsider where Leclaire will be in 2 years. I believe Marc Denis was billed as the goalie of the future at age 25 when we acquired him, yet, what, 3 years later at age 28 he was traded and now look where he is. Not saying Leclaire has the same future, but in two years, when Mason's a 21/22 year old, he's going to be on the CBJ roster, and if he's playing like a starter, Leclaire is as good as gone in my opinion.

More food for thought...

Old
01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
ca5150

What do you guys think about trying Zherdev at Center again? I know we tried in the pre-season and it didn't work out at all. But he's playing more like a center now, he passes very well, he has been coming back deep in our own zone. All traits of a center, and he certainly has the skating abilities of a center. Is it worth a shot?

Old
01-27-2008, 02:24 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
Maybe that means that the top line center we get is actually a trade for a guy who has 1 year left on his contract - making way in 09-10 for Brassard and Voracek to be our #1 and #2 centermen.

And reconsider where Leclaire will be in 2 years. I believe Marc Denis was billed as the goalie of the future at age 25 when we acquired him, yet, what, 3 years later at age 28 he was traded and now look where he is. Not saying Leclaire has the same future, but in two years, when Mason's a 21/22 year old, he's going to be on the CBJ roster, and if he's playing like a starter, Leclaire is as good as gone in my opinion.

More food for thought...
V is a winger, not a center. Unless something has changed that I don't know about. Doubt the Jackets are counting for Brassard to anchor that top line next year. They will be looking to add someone like Langkow if they can't trade for someone. And we'll still need another center for 09-10.

Leclaire is a RFA this year and his salary is likely to double. He's already making 1.4, a 3+ Million seems very likely. I seriously doubt the Jackets are looking for Mason to be the starter at 21 or 22, more like 25 or 26.

All I'm saying is that you can only have so many large contracts. Russell is playing you and if he starts lighting it up it won't be long before he demands a major salary. At some point, you'll have to let someone go.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-27-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old
01-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I think Leclaire is going to want $4-5 million if he keeps up his play. Z will probably want at least 5 after next year if his play keeps up. Nash will want a raise as well. Maybe a trade for a center isn't the best thing now. I was one of the leaders of trade for Richards or Jokinen, but I don't want to break up Nash/Zherdev/Leclaire/Brassard.

Old
01-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Whaley Klesla 97

I would give up Brule Picard Tollefson and my right arm for Dion Phaneuf

Old
01-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post
The only way I would trade Nash to New York would be for Gomez, Drury, Jagr and the Statue of Liberty and I can't imagine that NYC is willing to give up her.
Hell, no. She stands up for her team, is signed long-term and is bigger even than Zdeno Chara. Not to mention she's a fixture there. And she picks her mates up when they're tired, poor...

Old
01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Portzline had a couple interesting bits this morning:

Quote:
Chatter last week had the Blue Jackets shipping center Fedorov to Ottawa for defenseman Joe Corvo. On a lot of levels, it made sense. Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray has had a fondness for Fedorov since coaching him in the early 1990s. The Blue Jackets need a right-handed offensive defenseman, like Corvo, who's signed through 2009-10 at $2.75 million per season. Howson said it's not going to happen; he hasn't talked to Murray in more than a month.
He also talks about the 4 scenarios facing the Jackets at the trade deadline, read more here:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...0.html?sid=101

Old
01-27-2008, 10:34 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Regarding some of our RFAs and UFAs this summer, yes it will get expensive to keep our best guys. But you have to pay your best players. We're starting to grow up and have to make decisions. I wouldn't low-ball any of our franchise guys. Give Z his $5 mill. Give Leclaire his $4 mill. Nash is already getting his $7 mill.

I think the lower-tier/marginal guys is where you'll see the cuts in payroll this summer - the guys like Hainsey (hurts to say that), Chimera, Malhotra...these guys will be let go and replaced with similar players with similar salaries. Also, I can't see Vybes being re-signed at this point.

Old
01-27-2008, 10:57 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Regarding some of our RFAs and UFAs this summer, yes it will get expensive to keep our best guys. But you have to pay your best players. We're starting to grow up and have to make decisions. I wouldn't low-ball any of our franchise guys. Give Z his $5 mill. Give Leclaire his $4 mill. Nash is already getting his $7 mill.

I think the lower-tier/marginal guys is where you'll see the cuts in payroll this summer - the guys like Hainsey (hurts to say that), Chimera, Malhotra...these guys will be let go and replaced with similar players with similar salaries. Also, I can't see Vybes being re-signed at this point.
Mostly agree.

All that I was saying is that if you sign a top line center and/or a PP type D-Man, your budget starts to get tighter... At some point, you might have to trade off someone you don't really want to.

Old
01-27-2008, 11:02 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Mainly, I don't mind tying up a lot of salary on a few stars because Howson has already proved to me that he is a smart guy and is able to go out and sign "unknown" guys for low dollars who produce. Say we have $20 million tied up in 4 players or so - that's fine, if he can keep finding the Novotnys and Hejdas and Pecas to sign for $1 million or so each, and who can produce and be Hitch guys.

Old
01-27-2008, 11:54 AM
X0ssbar

One option I think he left off is that the Jackets could be both buyers and sellers.

Say a team like the Sens, Devils, Bruins, Calgary, etc wants a Fedorov or Vyborny and are willing to give up a combination of high draft picks and prospects.

The Jackets could take it and then swing all or parts of those assets as well as maybe a propsect or two from our system to another team to get a roster player that could help them now and longer term.

In other words I think the Jackets situation could be a lot more complicated than just deciding to be a buyer or seller.

For now the only two locks to be sellers right now are Tampa and LA. There could be a lot of teams that both buy and sell this time.

Howson should be a busy man come February and will really start earning his pay.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
RDriesenUD

I'll go more in-depth when i have the time, but im against trading for a big salary player. Im always against giving up 2 assets (money, players) when you can get a player for 1 (money). Ill talk more on this.

Also, do to a cap now, and the way everything is run money-wise in the nhl now, that makes me even more against trading for big salary guys. It also makes some other things more important.

Hopefully I will have time after to work to expand on this. But for now, put me in the camp who wants to wait till the summer to go after guys to fill needs.

I also believe that the market is setting itself up to be a sellers market at the deadline. To me, its always smart to pay attention to this. This is something Billy Beane does with the A's. He trades guys when he can get the best return, not worrying about other stuff.

For that reason, I think its smart for us to look to trade guys who we dont plan on keeping past this year, and who will not hurt our chances of a playoff spot. (Feds, V, etc)

Foote would be a guy I would trade only if we fall out of the playoff race. He would, imo, bring back A TON, but he is too important to us in trying to get in the playoffs. And even more so, if we get in, winning in the playoffs.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
future consideration

What are your guys thoughts on trading for Campbell?

A trade idea of Brule+Tollefson+2nd for Campbell was being thrown around on the Sabres board. Is that something you think of as fair?

Closed Thread