HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please calm down!!!

Old
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
neworleans1814

vCash: 500
Please calm down!!!

It is understandable to see so many Blues fans going wild over the team's recent struggles, the seven-game losing streak, and the team's inability to score on the power play - or sometimes score at all.

It is also understandable to want the Blues back in the playoffs again after two years out of the postseason dance.

But while I admit there are plenty of negatives to dwell on, check out a few of the positives:

• Brad Boyes, acquired for Dennis Wideman, has 29 goals and appears to be a legitimate 30-goal scorer in the NHL. He's still young and his best days could be ahead of him.

• Rookies David Perron and Erik Johnson have escaped Andy Murray's doghouse long enough to participate in the NHL's YoungStars Game in Atlanta. Both players have obvious upside, but Murray and his staff are forcing them to become more complete players and this will benefit them in thelong run. Do I think both should get more ice time, especially on the power play and in overtime? Sure. But they are also 19 and have never been through the rigors of an NHL season before, with the travel grind, physical punishment and learning about the commitment it takes to come ready to play every night.

• The farm system is full of prospects after being barren for many years. If you want to talk about young defensemen, start with Johnson and add Steve Wagner, Jeff Woywitka, Roman Polak and Jonas Junland along with college defensemen Ian Cole and Cade Fairchild.

Young forwards are also on the way in the persons of T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund, Chris Porter, Nikolai Lemtyugov, Lars Eller and Simon Hjalmarsson.

Goalie prospects on the immediate horizon include Ben Bishop at the University of Maine and Swiss star Reto Berra.

All is not well with the Blues, I understand that.

There is still no improvement on the power play, the transition game is almost always lacking and young wingers like Lee Stempniak and David Backes need to produce more goals. So do proven veterans Keith Tkachuk and Paul Kariya.

But there's still plenty of reason to be excited about the future, both the immediate future and beyond.

neworleans1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans1814 View Post
It is understandable to see so many Blues fans going wild over the team's recent struggles, the seven-game losing streak, and the team's inability to score on the power play - or sometimes score at all.

It is also understandable to want the Blues back in the playoffs again after two years out of the postseason dance.

But while I admit there are plenty of negatives to dwell on, check out a few of the positives:

• Brad Boyes, acquired for Dennis Wideman, has 29 goals and appears to be a legitimate 30-goal scorer in the NHL. He's still young and his best days could be ahead of him.

• Rookies David Perron and Erik Johnson have escaped Andy Murray's doghouse long enough to participate in the NHL's YoungStars Game in Atlanta. Both players have obvious upside, but Murray and his staff are forcing them to become more complete players and this will benefit them in thelong run. Do I think both should get more ice time, especially on the power play and in overtime? Sure. But they are also 19 and have never been through the rigors of an NHL season before, with the travel grind, physical punishment and learning about the commitment it takes to come ready to play every night.

• The farm system is full of prospects after being barren for many years. If you want to talk about young defensemen, start with Johnson and add Steve Wagner, Jeff Woywitka, Roman Polak and Jonas Junland along with college defensemen Ian Cole and Cade Fairchild.

Young forwards are also on the way in the persons of T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund, Chris Porter, Nikolai Lemtyugov, Lars Eller and Simon Hjalmarsson.

Goalie prospects on the immediate horizon include Ben Bishop at the University of Maine and Swiss star Reto Berra.

All is not well with the Blues, I understand that.

There is still no improvement on the power play, the transition game is almost always lacking and young wingers like Lee Stempniak and David Backes need to produce more goals. So do proven veterans Keith Tkachuk and Paul Kariya.

But there's still plenty of reason to be excited about the future, both the immediate future and beyond.
All good points. I'm a little disappointed that The Blues couldn't make the playoffs this season even while rebuilding. But, in the long run, getting the significantly higher draft choice in the first and 2nd rounds may really help. In addition, trading off the UFAs and other unneeded players for pure futures, instead of help needed in this year's playoffs, may also help the future be more bright. I'm excited about how the team will improve after this year's trades and draft.

I can't wait to see the younger, faster, quicker, stronger, tougher, more spirited/energetic team next season.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I think almost everyone, downer and naysayer included, is excited about the future - and the aspects that are starting to blossom this year, like EJ, Wagner, Perron, and Boyes.

I do disagree with the posts that want to see Toivonen fired from a cannon after a couple of poor performances or think Murray is literally ruining the rookies. There's bound to be some hyperbole. But for the most part, the complaints are justified. Last season, Murray cracked the whip and a team with half the depth looked great. This year, the team showed it could hang with the best for many games and the bottom inexplicably fell out. You can be excited and hopeful about the future but still frustrated about the inconsistency of the present.

I would have loved to see the Blues in the playoffs this year, but I'm not angry that they won't make it. Despite their struggles, they've exceeded all expectations. That may not be consolation enough for everyone, but it is for me. I'll never be the guy who acts like watching a loss was a waste of my time and I kind of feel sorry for the "fans" who do feel that way.

I just hope the management and coaches use the rest of the season however they need to in order to make the roster and contract calls they'll have to make over the summer. There are a lot of maybes with this team that make things complicated. If Boyes doesn't do as well next season, if Tkachuk continues to play poorly, if Perron or EJ have sophomore slumps, if somebody like Oshie and/or Berglund can't step in and handle some of the offensive load...any two of those scenarios could make the Blues even worse next season. I'm not worried - I think it will work out, but I don't envy the job of management right now. But it truly could be a boon that they aren't in the strange position of selling while in competition for a seed in the playoffs. Clearly selling or buying make the most sense and I wouldn't want to see them move sideways when they're still rebuilding.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
breakingaway

What I'm worried about is how Coach Murray handles our younger players and if they will play up to their potential under his leadership. IMHO he seems to have a lower threshold for mistakes than many coaches and as we know almost all young players have much to learn.

Stempniak's play has regressed this year, coincidently or not Murray's 1st full year w/the Blues. McClement has also taken a step back. On the other hand Boyes is having a career type year.

I think Coach Murray is a great coach for turning around an undisciplined club but I'm not sure he's the best choice for a club with a lot of young players.

breakingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:47 PM
General Veers

As was stated before, everyone is aware of and excited about the chance at an exciting future full of potent home-grown players. Since I think this team can still make the post season, I'll take your slight to negative fans as a friendly reminder to others here. That being said, the OP is a nice summary and it's good to read some positive opinions.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

People keep saying J Mac has taken a step back and I just don't get it. Yeah his numbers have gone down, but his d game is damn near fantastic. He plays against tough opponents and gets regular PK time and is effective in these areas. Since his game is more about d I would say he has if nothing else stayed the same if not gotten better. Not to mention all of the players on his line haven't exactly lived up to expectations offensively either, so can that all be placed on him?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
People keep saying J Mac has taken a step back and I just don't get it. Yeah his numbers have gone down, but his d game is damn near fantastic. He plays against tough opponents and gets regular PK time and is effective in these areas. Since his game is more about d I would say he has if nothing else stayed the same if not gotten better. Not to mention all of the players on his line haven't exactly lived up to expectations offensively either, so can that all be placed on him?
I think Jay should be kept. He'll make a GREAT checking line centre. He also has decent scoring skills (which showed better last season, and which may well blossom again and improve).

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
His game definitely has improved overall. I think his drop in points is due to assignment and his linemates. He's a playmaker who digs in the corners, forces turnovers, and makes passes to set up goals. If he digs in the corner, wins the battle, and there's nobody open, there's not much he can do point-wise. And as poor as the Blues transition game is, it makes it harder on him to distribute the puck or dig in the corners because there's just less opportunity to do so.
During Scott Young's last year, several of his goals were due to terrific passes from McClement. And the same was the case for Backes and Stempniak down the stretch last year. He was even pretty poised and creative on the powerplay when the Blues dealt Weight and he filled in on the half-boards.

As the Blues get more offensive players coming up (Berglund, Oshie, Lemtyugov, Eller, Palushaj) and guys like Perron, Stempniak, and Backes settle in, better line combinations will flesh themselves out. Good line combinations with threats to score from three lines increases overall production of guys like McClement who aren't electrifying offensively, but are still quite capable.

I guess the reason that McClement is said to have regressed is that you like to see players like him pick up some slack or spark their linemates when their production sags. That doesn't mean he's actually playing worse, but at the end of the day, you still need those goals and the whole team bears the responsibility.

Personally, I don't like the talk about getting rid of McClement. I think he's the kind of two-way player who you love to have on a playoff club. He can play on a shutdown line or a scoring line, penalty kill or powerplay (although he doesn't get much time on the latter). Non-phenom players have off-seasons and don't develop as quickly. And even including the phenom guys, almost every player hits his prime in his late 20's. When the Blues are back in the playoffs and Jay McClement is 27-29, he'll be an invaluable piece of the puzzle. Grinders are a dime a dozen, but guys like McClement are not.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
I don't get all the hate for McClement, either. I also get the feeling Norm has been reading posts from many armchair GM's at the Asylum.

Some people act like this team was headed for the Cup this season. They weren't - getting to the playoffs was going to be tough enough, and we all knew it; doing anything in the playoffs would have been a huge bonus. Scoring 3 or more goals in only 25 of the 48 games this season doesn't help things, and we all knew the defense wasn't exactly stellar; expecting them to only give up 200 goals or so to make up for the lack of offense was unrealistic.

The future of this team isn't the final 34 games, it's next year and the year after when guys like Oshie, Berglund, Polak, and so on start grabbing spots on the team and developing. This season is a transition year, like last year - painful as it might be to watch, until this team fixes some of the holes it has [be it from within or on the market], we're going to have to take our lumps.

Things will get better - but this year isn't the year to go for broke trying to make the playoffs.

01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post

Things will get better - but this year isn't the year to go for broke trying to make the playoffs.
Ahh, the sweet voice of reason....

We could make the playoffs, but we will not contend. Why make the mistakes of the past and mortgage our future? I don't care where we finish, as long as we are higher on the board than the 'Hawks!!

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Quote:
• Brad Boyes, acquired for Dennis Wideman, has 29 goals and appears to be a legitimate 30-goal scorer in the NHL.
Whoa now, that might be a bit of a stretch.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
neworleans1814

The point about Brad Boyes being a 30-goal scorer was that he has scored 29 exactly oce in his career. Can he do it again? Five or six years in a row? That's what the 30-goal scorer comment was meant to imply. Semantics are wonderful.

neworleans1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 01:18 PM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
The point about Brad Boyes being a 30-goal scorer was that he has scored 29 exactly oce in his career. Can he do it again? Five or six years in a row? That's what the 30-goal scorer comment was meant to imply. Semantics are wonderful.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote