HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Feeling out year.....

Old
01-26-2008, 03:35 PM
StLooFrenchy

vCash: 500
Feeling out year.....

Does anybody else get the feeling that the Blues staff might be evaluating players potential "on the job"? I mean things like Walker on the PP, Mayers on the 2nd line, Jax on the PP, Walker on the PK, etc. If they came out publicly and said that "this is a wash season, let's see what we have for next year", the fans would avoid the Scottrade like the plague. With our likelyhood of making the playoffs slim at best, not even counting our odds of being a contender; are JD, Jarmo, and Andy putting players in situations that will determine their worth to the club for the upcoming season(s)? Or at least determining their worth in trade? We are in the middle of the rebuild, with a stacked draft class in '08. Thoughts?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Robb_K

When teams are not clicking, and losing a lot of games, don't their coaches normally try different line combos, defensive shift pairings and PP and PK lineups? I don't think that has to imply that a team has given up on the season.

I suppose that trying out Walker on the PP could, potentially help his trade value go up if he surprised. But couldn't that help make it more difficult to get value for him if he were to look TERRIBLE (e.g. even worse than expected)-and thus leave a subconscious post hypnotic suggestion to avoid obtaining him?

I suppose that showcasing the versatility of players to be shopped might help up their desirability and value, but it could also backfire.

But, I agree with you that Murray may be trying to see what his players can do. But, if that's the case, I hope he'll want to see what some of his farmhands can do now in the NHL. I don't think The Blues will make the playoffs. So, I'm not worried about having more rookie mistakes made. The added energy and enthusiasm might get the whole team playing with more fight. Moral and confidence can't get too much lower.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:12 PM
General Veers

Management is in a tough spot. They have to rebuild AND compete at the same time. We already bottomed out and a lot of people jumped ship. If we were to bottom out again, and lose the mediocre fans again, it could really hurt the franchise. It won't matter how bad the Cards and Rams do, people will still spend more on them than the Blues, so the brass has got to do more to compete.
When I see a bunch of players playing in situations they shouldn't it makes me think one thing, trade.
The only other reason it would happen would be injuries and we're a pretty healthy team right now, so...?
There's still time to make some deals to help us now and in the future, and there is still time to right the ship and make the playoffs.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I don't really look into much more than prospects and the current product, but it seems like the cap has kept us from moving many players up and down this year. Is that fair to say? IB anyone else? Or is this lack of movement a lack of confidence by Murray and co. with our farmhands?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
breakingaway

I may be in the minority but I don't think fans will stay away in droves if we start bringing up Lem., Linglet, Polak, Woyw. ,Wagner etc. , giving them playing time, and continue losing games and don't come close to making the playoffs, etc.

I think we should be giving these guys playing time anyways .. I think the 5 mentioned above are ready for NHL duty (at least Johnson and Perron playing time doses).

We should trade a d-man or two, KT, and who else has value for some draft picks or good prospects (Boyes, Stempniak, Perron, and E Johnson are the only untouchables IMHO ... w/ Kariya near untouchable)

Last edited by breakingaway: 01-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.
breakingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:56 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

If they ever stop doing what you mention, evaluating for the future, then they are the wrong people for the job.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingaway View Post
I may be in the minority but I don't think fans will stay away in droves if we start bringing up Lem., Linglet, Polak, Woyw. etc. , giving them playing time, and continue losing games and don't come close to making the playoffs, etc.

I think we should be giving these guys playing time anyways .. I think the 4 mentioned above are ready for NHL duty (at least Johnson and Perron playing time doses).

We should trade a d-man or two, KT, and who else has value for some draft picks or good prospects (Boyes, Stempniak, E Johnson are the only untouchables IMHO ... w/ Kariya near untouchable)
I don't disagree with playing the kids...I am a huge fan of our prospects, but if you get rid of the vets who will teach them? Also with more kids in the lineup you will no longer have the opportunity to give players small doses of playing time. They will have to take on a prominent role with the club immediately, that may not be the best thing for their development. I would like to free up a d spot though. I really want Wagner back up here.

Old
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
breakingaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I don't disagree with playing the kids...I am a huge fan of our prospects, but if you get rid of the vets who will teach them? Also with more kids in the lineup you will no longer have the opportunity to give players small doses of playing time. They will have to take on a prominent role with the club immediately, that may not be the best thing for their development. I would like to free up a d spot though. I really want Wagner back up here.
Who is good teaching them now?

I don't think KT is an especially good mentor (or a good one). I don't want our younger d-men emulating Brewer's play ... he's not horrible but as we all know his play is very inconsistent for facing the opposition's top line. I like McDonald and Kariya as teachers but I don't think they're untradeable.

(I forgot about McDonald above. I would be hesitant to trade him at this time)

Last edited by breakingaway: 01-26-2008 at 06:22 PM.
breakingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingaway View Post
I may be in the minority but I don't think fans will stay away in droves if we start bringing up Lem., Linglet, Polak, Woyw. etc. , giving them playing time, and continue losing games and don't come close to making the playoffs, etc.

I think we should be giving these guys playing time anyways .. I think the 4 mentioned above are ready for NHL duty (at least Johnson and Perron playing time doses).

We should trade a d-man or two, KT, and who else has value for some draft picks or good prospects (Boyes, Stempniak, E Johnson are the only untouchables IMHO ... w/ Kariya near untouchable)