HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Fisher: extend Carbonneau's contract

Old
01-27-2008, 05:40 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
10 years - 30 millions $ ?

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Pascal

Funny people think we should extend his contract but if the team had lost against NJ we'd probably hear "no way!"

I think he improved but I would wait to see how the team does in the playoffs first.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't hate him. I think he makes alot of bad decisions but that doesn't mean he should be fired.

If a year from now he's still making those same bad decisions, well, then we can talk...But he's been improving in most aspects, and the team is playing well, so there's no reason to fire him.

And I don't do Acid. It's bad for you.
I'm more into crack personally.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
10 years - 30 millions $ ?

I think we should throw in a "no movement" clause.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm more into crack personally.
I don't do anything made in a lab.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't do anything made in a lab.
So abandoned warehouses are a definite no-go, eh? Drug snob...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:11 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
It's a lot easier to get rid of a coach than a player. I see absolutely no problem with extending Carbonneau now. It's not my money, it doesn't count against the cap and they could still fire him whenever they wanted to.
Well, he'll be extended if Gainey says so. Gainey is of similar mind than Carbo has been coaching. So I wouldn't be surprised. Defensive minded guys who all wish they were Guy Lafleur, but think they are smarter, worry me.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

If the Habs have a good run in the playoffs we'll give Carbo a tap in the back. And I'll change my view that punishing players is a great method. But as it stand i'm still cold about him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptK View Post
Earl: Fisher Should Stop Typing

Another pointless article by Fisher. Red's a legend but he's now been put in charge of Scrawling the Obvious.

Dave Stubbs should put Red out to pasture or give him some feature articles to write - about the good ole days, or some "where are they now's" , some pre-centennial look backs, something that draws from his strength and perspective on history.

A million people with a computer could write a few anecdotal comments about the standings and dispense advice to a man that knows 100 times more about managing in the NHL than they do.

Right now Red's writings are simply awful. It's painful to say it, awful to think it, but it's true. He's cobbling together fluff that simply let's us know he's still alive.

edit: On the point of the article , Carbonneau's extension - I am sure Gainey has given Carbonneau objectives that tie into compensation amounts for the next extension, and they are probably working on a deal or have agreed to a timeframe when they will work out a deal.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:35 AM
mcphee

I think they way that we as posters and supposed radio experts micro analyze coaching is ridiculous. It's taken a season and a half but the team is playing the system that the staff wants played.

I don't have a high enough opinion of my own hockey knowledge to say with certainty that using the line combinations that I've thought of would be better than what has been devised by guys with the credentials of our coaching staff.

As for an extension, I'm sure that Gainey and Carbo are comfortable enough with each other to communicate what they see happening in the future. If Carbo was an inherited coach, things would be different, but I don't see a purpose to any announcement at this time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Well, he'll be extended if Gainey says so. Gainey is of similar mind than Carbo has been coaching. So I wouldn't be surprised. Defensive minded guys who all wish they were Guy Lafleur, but think they are smarter, worry me.
So, you really think that the best players are smarter, and have bigger IQs??? It doesn't work this way. Yes, some of them are the smartest around, but to think Lafleur is smarter than Gainey or Carbs just because he was a better player is asinine at best. I mean, by your way of thinking, I'd take a wild guess and say Stephen Hawkins would be a hockey god, if he were so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think they way that we as posters and supposed radio experts micro analyze coaching is ridiculous. It's taken a season and a half but the team is playing the system that the staff wants played.

I don't have a high enough opinion of my own hockey knowledge to say with certainty that using the line combinations that I've thought of would be better than what has been devised by guys with the credentials of our coaching staff.

As for an extension, I'm sure that Gainey and Carbo are comfortable enough with each other to communicate what they see happening in the future. If Carbo was an inherited coach, things would be different, but I don't see a purpose to any announcement at this time.

Oh mercy! If some around here could actually realize that... They'd actually stop thinking they know better than professionals.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So, you really think that the best players are smarter, and have bigger IQs??? It doesn't work this way. Yes, some of them are the smartest around, but to think Lafleur is smarter than Gainey or Carbs just because he was a better player is asinine at best. I mean, by your way of thinking, I'd take a wild guess and say Stephen Hawkins would be a hockey god, if he were so inclined.

Oh mercy! If some around here could actually realize that... They'd actually stop thinking they know better than professionals.
I think a lot of fans really do know the game well, but I find the play gets broken down too much at times. It's a fluid game and stuff happens.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Carbo is doing a better job than last year...but I'm still not convinced he is the long term answer. One improvement is that he is letting the team use it's biggest strength(speed) compared to last year when they seemed to trap for nearly 60 minutes. This is a team deep in NHL talent, guys like Dandenault would not be scratched ever on 3/4 of teams out there. Few teams can play their 4th line regularly without hurting themselves.

I'd still like to see Carbo strop chirping at each penality call, save his energy for the really bad ones so it actually has an effect. Also I'm sure a guy like Dandenault would appreciate more communication when he is scratched...communication was a big weakness last year, one of the reasons he got almost nothing out of Perezhogin Samsonov and Kovalev.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think a lot of fans really do know the game well, but I find the play gets broken down too much at times. It's a fluid game and stuff happens.
Oh, that's not my beef, McPhee. It rather has to do with the fact that we only see a part of Carbo's job. The rest of it goes down behind the scenes, away form the general public, and yet some think they can still say Carbs is a bad coach altho his record says otherwise.

Old
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I think we should fire him right now instead. Along with Gainey. That would be the best moove for the organisation.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
LilWinger11

How long is Carbo signed for at the moment? I didn't see that anywhere in the article.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
I think we should fire him right now instead. Along with Gainey. That would be the best moove for the organisation.

Peanut!!! Stop posting on HFboards!

Old
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Earl: Fisher Should Stop Typing

Another pointless article by Fisher. Red's a legend but he's now been put in charge of Scrawling the Obvious.

Dave Stubbs should put Red out to pasture or give him some feature articles to write - about the good ole days, or some "where are they now's" , some pre-centennial look backs, something that draws from his strength and perspective on history.

A million people with a computer could write a few anecdotal comments about the standings and dispense advice to a man that knows 100 times more about managing in the NHL than they do.

Right now Red's writings are simply awful. It's painful to say it, awful to think it, but it's true. He's cobbling together fluff that simply let's us know he's still alive.

edit: On the point of the article , Carbonneau's extension - I am sure Gainey has given Carbonneau objectives that tie into compensation amounts for the next extension, and they are probably working on a deal or have agreed to a timeframe when they will work out a deal.
Unfortunately, as much as Red is a legend, I have to agree. He seems very out of touch with how the NHL works today. His best articles recently have been when he talks about the great teams/players of the past. I think he should focus on that aspect a lot more.

Most of his writing about today's NHL seems very irrelevant. Great writer though.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
habsbest2008*

i agree, they should extend it.

habsbest2008* is offline   Reply With Quote