HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about you Manny Legace" thread.

Old
01-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Blueski

vCash: 500
The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about you Manny Legace" thread.

I have seen a lot of us here say how happy they were that we were not the GM when Legace was signed, because if we were, we would have passed on the "overrated" goalie. The comments are scattered about the board here. This is your chance to show Manny some appreciation, and not just for those of us who were wrong about signing him.

I was wrong Manny. You have been one of the best signings that the Blues have made in quite a while. You give a full effort night in and night out and do not hang the blame for a bad game on your teammates even when it is clear they hung you out to dry. That is a sign of a true professional and great teammate. Thank you for giving the Blues a chance!

Go Manny!!

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I never questioned the Manny signing. However, I did not expect him to be this lights out.

Hey Detroit...rest of the league....Manny is the MAN!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
ynot89

manny has carried the team on his shoulders for a lot of the season so far and it is nice to see him get some appreciation

ynot89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Robb_K

Legace is a better player now, than when he was with Detroit.

Ayotte has worked on strengthening him-which has helped his reflex speed (push off), post -to-post, and maybe even his stamina(?).

Wamsley has worked on his positioning and timing with him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Legace is a better player now, than when he was with Detroit.

Ayotte has worked on strengthening him-which has helped his reflex speed (push off), post -to-post, and maybe even his stamina(?).

Wamsley has worked on his positioning and timing with him.
I agree, but he wasn't to shabby in Detroit either....they were just looking for a scapegoat.

Old
01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Manny was never questioned in Detroit in the regular season.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
StLooFrenchy

I was wrong. DEAD wrong. Without him, we may not have won a single game.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Hey Detroit...rest of the league....Manny is the MAN!
Yeah, he was the man in Detroit until the post-season too. The guy doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a playoff goalie.

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

If anyone blames those loses on the goalie alone, they are foolish and deserve what they get.

no goaltender can make up for poor team defense.

I am going on record as saying Manny's signing was our best since we signed Chopper. It has been that solid IMO.

I know we've been salivating for Schwarz, Bishop, Toivonen, CBT, etc for a long time now, waiting for that future franchise tender but I would be more than happy for Manny to retire a Blue if he keeps up his solid play.

This is off the cuff, Manny could blow up next year and become the next goaltender who loses his edge but at this point all of our other goaltenders take a back seat.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I am going on record as saying Manny's signing was our best since we signed Chopper. It has been that solid IMO.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn we traded Housely for Al.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn we traded Housely for Al.
You are right!

Old
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
If anyone blames those loses on the goalie alone, they are foolish and deserve what they get.
Believe me, I don't blame that first round loss to Edmonton solely on Legace. However, he was backbreaking in that series. It seemed that every time the Wings got some sort of momentum he would let in a softy.

Old
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
General Veers

I liked the signing right off the bat. Of course, I've only been here since September, so I can't prove it. Personally, I don't see how anyone could not like that deal considering the goalie depth we had at the time.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
I liked the signing right off the bat. Of course, I've only been here since September, so I can't prove it. Personally, I don't see how anyone could not like that deal considering the goalie depth we had at the time.
Exactly and it was for cheap!

Old
01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
CuSa_1

I couldn't have been more disappointed at the signing of Legace.

I WAS WRONG

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:07 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Manny was never questioned in Detroit in the regular season.
Oh boy, the obligatory Red Wing fan Manny bashing...

Get off it, the Wings losing had to do with every man on the ice, not just Manny.

Heaven forbid you blame the defense that allows the scoring opportunities, or the forwards who didn't pick up the slack...

I've seen Manny's line from those series....it isn't bad. It isn't great either, but he certainly didn't singlehandedly cause them to lose.

Have fun in the playoffs with a 90 year old Hasek and Chris Osgood....truly got yourselves some "stars" there.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Glove side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post

Have fun in the playoffs with a 90 year old Hasek and Chris Osgood....truly got yourselves some "stars" there.
That is very well said. Manny has proven himself to be a premier goalie in the league without having Lidstrom, Rafalski in front of him. The obvious is that our defense doesn't show up every game, and without Manny in net we wouldn't be anywhere near a playoff shot!!

GO MANNY!!

Glove side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Oh boy, the obligatory Red Wing fan Manny bashing...

Get off it, the Wings losing had to do with every man on the ice, not just Manny.

Heaven forbid you blame the defense that allows the scoring opportunities, or the forwards who didn't pick up the slack...

I've seen Manny's line from those series....it isn't bad. It isn't great either, but he certainly didn't singlehandedly cause them to lose.

Oh, so if Legace's numbers for that series (.884 SV%, 2.64 GAA) "weren't bad" then what do you consider Hasek's playoff numbers last year (.923 SV%, 1.78 GAA)?

Each goalie was playing behind essentially the same defense. No one said Manny single-handedly cost them the series...but he was a big part of the collapse. The goals he let in were backbreaking and you could tell the team had no confidence in him.

I'll take our "stars" that have won a combined three Stanley Cups and six Vezinas over a guy that has never won a single round as a starter and in his single and only round as a starter showed the mental fortitude of a six year old girl -- "I feel like going out and hanging myself." Great way to inspire your team, Manny. This is putting his mediocre series against Nashville in 03-04 aside as well.

Last edited by Ricelund: 01-27-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old
01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
CuSa_1

get outta here

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Oh, so if Legace's numbers for that series (.884 SV%, 2.64 GAA) "weren't bad" then what do you consider Hasek's playoff numbers last year (.923 SV%, 1.78 GAA)?

Each goalie was playing behind essentially the same defense. No one said Manny single-handedly cost them the series...but he was a big part of the collapse. The goals he let in were backbreaking and you could tell the team had no confidence in him.

I'll take our "stars" that have won a combined three Stanley Cups and six Vezinas over a guy that has never won a single round as a starter and in his single and only round as a starter showed the mental fortitude of a six year old girl -- "I feel like going out and hanging myself." Great way to inspire your team, Manny. This is putting his mediocre series against Nashville in 03-04 aside as well.
*COUGH* Scapegoat *COUGH*

Buddy, a goalie can't let in goals if the other 5 guys don't let the opposition penetrate where scoring chances may occur. 6 people are on the hook for each goal against.

How'd the playoffs end for Hasek....a loss.

How'd the playoffs end for Manny....a loss.

I don't see difference.

Keep believing what you want....we're happy with Manny here.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
*COUGH* Scapegoat *COUGH*

Buddy, a goalie can't let in goals if the other 5 guys don't let the opposition penetrate where scoring chances may occur. 6 people are on the hook for each goal against.

How'd the playoffs end for Hasek....a loss.

How'd the playoffs end for Manny....a loss.

I don't see difference.

Keep believing what you want....we're happy with Manny here.
So a loss in the WCF's and a loss in the first round are of equal achievement? Interesting. I also guess there's no such thing as a goalie playing poorly in the playoffs. Conversely, is it possible for a goalie to be hot in the playoffs -- or is that all about the team defense?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be happy with Manny...he's been outstanding. I'm just saying don't label him as a god until you see him perform the same way in the post-season.

Old
01-28-2008, 01:38 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
I'm just saying don't label him as a god until you see him perform the same way in the post-season.
Well when we rename this the "Manny is god" thread then you can come back and troll

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:53 AM
General Veers

Awww, poor Wings didn't win the Cup one year, boo hoo. Is this guy so bitter he has to pollute our thread? If we want to say Manny is god (which incidentally, no one did) then we have every right to. Why? Because this thread is about THIS season Manny is having, which is GODLY!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Glove side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Because this thread is about THIS season Manny is having, which is GODLY!
Since we are talking about this season, Manny is 3-2 vs. the almighty red wings(1shutout). The blues did get shutout twice by detroit, but at this point detroit has a better team. Correct me if I am mistaken but i think manny was the first goalie to shutout detroit in over a year. Which is saying something.

not to mention osgood's great play in the All star game. It's obvious he has no clue what to when playing against the best from the east. At least manny looked respectable.

Glove side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb6wc22 View Post
not to mention osgood's great play in the All star game. It's obvious he has no clue what to when playing against the best from the east. At least manny looked respectable.
Ah, because the all-star game is such a great indicator of a player's skill. Lidstrom was a -3...guess he's not very good after all.