HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisarek

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 06:25 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
About Komisarek - little help, please

Is anyone else surprised that this kid isn't doing better than he already is?

Not to down Komi or anything, he's been a rock solid defender, throws the body, is a +4, etc... but this kid has always been a solid 2-way defenseman. He put up offensive numbers in every league... but for some reason it's not happening in the NHL. Can someone give me an idea as to why? I live in Toronto, so I don't get the chance to see the Habs play (except on Saturdays)...

Does he need more ice time? Is he not being put on the PP? He only has 18 shots... what's going on?

Last edited by hockey_nut: 01-27-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old
01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
#44_delivers

no he isnt being put on the pp yet, if anything his feets still wet by the looks of it, he hasnt made any very bad defencive plays, but still looks stiff on the ice, his first pass out is too fast, basically he isnt playing his game, he's not quite relaxed yet, he has had his moments where he gets mean and hits, but not nearly enough as he should, anyways by the looks of it to me he will eventually cool and calm down, then we can see his true game,
but for now he is just absorbing everything and getting use to it.
once he does that then his shot totals will get higher and he should be able to put up points, and make better plays.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:40 PM
hockey_nut

I think we need him to get his act together now! We're right in the middle of the fight for 6th and 5th spot and we need him to get his big game going.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:41 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Is anyone else surprised that this kid isn't doing better than he already is?

Not to down Komi or anything, he's been a rock solid defender, throws the body, is a +4, etc... but this kid has always been a solid 2-way defenseman. He put up offensive numbers in every league... but for some reason it's not happening in the NHL. Can someone give me an idea as to why? I live in Toronto, so I don't get the chance to see the Habs play (except on Saturdays)...

Does he need more ice time? Is he not being put on the PP? He only has 18 shots... what's going on?
Let him get used to his end first... He's had a few good wrist shots on goal so far, but you can tell he doesn't feel confident with his slap shot (or shooting in general). It will come with time. I would rather he got his defensive game down pat before he tries to get fancy... Also look at how long it took Souray to get his offensive game up to current levels. Don't Panic...

Old
01-27-2004, 06:43 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
I think we need him to get his act together now! We're right in the middle of the fight for 6th and 5th spot and we need him to get his big game going.
You can't rush a player's development. It'll take as long as it takes...

Old
01-27-2004, 06:43 PM
hockey_nut

If he has to get used to his zone, etc... why are we putting him on the 4th line?!

Pair him up with Quintal or Souray... that'll get his game going... he needs confidence, only way he gets that and turns into what we expect is if Julien puts a little more faith in the kid.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:49 PM
#44_delivers

ive heard nothing but great things about cj's player development techniques, before he waz named our head coach last year, so dont worry where and who cj puts him with, his aims are not far off. its just like my earlier thread and i believe"all-star made a comment on it " once the kid relaxes and cools down in our zone then youll see him hit and shoot the puck more often "
cj will get the best out of him and fast

Old
01-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Guy!

Komi's problem isn't his defence, nor is it his offence. Simply put, he's still not up with the speed of the NHL game quite yet. That's why he's being played on the fourth line and that's why he's not at a level some might have expected.

It's fairly common in the NHL for the larger players to take a little longer to adapt - and particularly those who are defenders. I don't hink you can look at his game and be at all disappointed right now, since he's showing some very promising signs. Personally, I think he could probably play 16-17 minutes on the defence and not be any the worse for wear, however Julien has a policy with kids about bringing them along slowly - and if we take the example of Ryder, I think his policies are working just fine.

Of course, the major reason he's not playing defence right now is the glut on the right hand side. Some might say it'd be prudent to get him the requisite time by playing him on the left, but I feel that might be somewhat counter-productive because you're putting him in a position that complicates his game - a game where's he's still having his issues with timing and speed.

It's going to happen, probably this season, and probably over a very short period of time. He'll be inserted in the lineup one night and all of a sudden it will click and over the course of a game you'll see him go from being timid and nervous to confident and solid. The same generall thing happened with Markov; one game he was okay, the next he took over and looked like the best defender we'd had since Chelios.

Time and patience are the keys here. Don't be disappointed - far from it. I think it's fascinating to watch his development. Even in the last few games that he's played I've seen a marked improvement in his handling and distribution of the puck. I know we're in the middle of a race, but the Habs ultimate goals are more long-term. This year's playoffs will just be a bonus and good learning experience.

ACF

Old
01-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Darz

I think Komi is still a little nervous to pinch in or anything to risky still at this point. When he learns to pick his spots, he'll put in a few. He seems to be playing like expected, not too fancy, trying to keep mistakes to a minimum.
Also, I don't think anybody was expecting him to be the type to put up big offensive numbers anyways.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:58 PM
#44_delivers

very well said guy, yes our goals are more long term to be sure and he has improved his game a fair bit since his first, especialy his passes out to the nuetral zone, its not as stiff as it use to be he is starting to make crisper plays, all in good time and like you said, one game it will just start clicking for him, i also believe this.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:03 PM
hockey_nut

ok... so maybe I didn't word this properly, lol

i don't want to rush the kid... he's a great talent, and i do think that something will click one day and it'll stick with him...

...but, what i meant was, should we not see him given a better opportunity to expand his game (an extra min or two of playing time) to help his chances and help his game adapt

Old
01-27-2004, 07:22 PM
komorules#1

who thinks that Komi will finish the year out in the NHL? I'd say send him down for the AHL all-star game.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:31 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorules#1
who thinks that Komi will finish the year out in the NHL? I'd say send him down for the AHL all-star game.
Why? He's already as good as any #5 - #6 defenseman in the NHL. He's got nothing left to learn in the AHL...

Old
01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Why? He's already as good as any #5 - #6 defenseman in the NHL. He's got nothing left to learn in the AHL...
Exactly. He's between roles. He's not quite developed enough to firmly dislodge Rivet, Brisebois or Quintal, especially in a play-off race. And the Habs aren't yet a good enough team, like Philadelphia or New Jersey, to play a rookie on D and live with the inevitable little mistakes that rookies make.

On the other hand, as you rightly say, he has nothing to learn in the AHL. IMO it would be counter-productive for his long-term development. Everybody is better off with him as a 6th-7th defenceman for this year, at least.

Old
01-27-2004, 09:22 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

stop analyzing every aspect of his game and let the guy develop. He's got everything (including the attitude, work ethic and etc), and he's very young. Almost everyone here on the boards are young and many of them don't understand how long it is to develop a player.

Old
01-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Breenger

I never realy thought he had enough foot speed to be an offensive D. So, unless he's on the powerplay, I don't think he will not get many points. He is being ultra conservative too, so he doesn't get beat in a foot race with any of the speedier forwards in the league, which is somthing he has never had to deal with before. But I wouldn't say he is a dissapointment, he was drafted because he looked like he will be a good defensive defenceman, first, and with the tools to perhaps be a powerplay force sometime down the road. What did you think this guy was going to tear up the league in his 2nd pro season? I don't think that has ever happened with defencemen. He is holding his own, when he is playing, on his off side, in the NHL, which is pretty damn good for a 2nd year pro. If he ends up like a Derrian Hatcher are you going to be dissapointed?

Old
01-27-2004, 10:21 PM
sandman08

look how long it took jovo to become who he is today.. thats pretty much all i'll say about that .. i mean in his first season he was really good (i think thats the year they went to the finals (the panthers)) after that jovo trailed off for a while and then got traded to vancouver, he wasnt spectacular for a while and then he really developed and blossomed.. or something along those lines... but it took him a few years to develop truly, its the same case with most D in the league and will be the same w/ komo

Closed Thread