HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deal with Detroit?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
  #1
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest
 
BostonBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Deal with Detroit?

There are 2 guys on Dtetroit that I have always felt would be great additions
to the Bruins - Tomas Holmstrom and Mathieu Dandenault. My question is this:
Would a package of Glen Murray and either a high prospect or #1 pick be
enough? I think Detroit needs to add another sniper to match up with Colorado
in the playoffs so Murray fits the bill plus if he has a good playoff run Detroit will
likely meet his salary demands for his next contract. Bruin fans - what do you
think?

BostonBob is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
  #2
Newfie Bruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
i wouldn't deal a 1st rounder...How about wetry and pry a 1st from them

Newfie Bruin is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:45 PM
  #3
BronxBruin
Registered User
 
BronxBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob
There are 2 guys on Dtetroit that I have always felt would be great additions
to the Bruins - Tomas Holmstrom and Mathieu Dandenault. My question is this:
Would a package of Glen Murray and either a high prospect or #1 pick be
enough? I think Detroit needs to add another sniper to match up with Colorado
in the playoffs so Murray fits the bill plus if he has a good playoff run Detroit will
likely meet his salary demands for his next contract. Bruin fans - what do you
think?
Holmstrom and Dandenault are depth players. Yes, they are very good depth players but trading a top line winger who has scored 40 goals the past two seasons for two guys who are a dime a dozen in the NHL wouldn't qualify as a good trade in my book. Take into consideration the fact that we have plenty of third and fourth liners and probably too few top six forwards and the deal makes even less sense.

BronxBruin is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:49 PM
  #4
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,029
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
If they would take Murray (a pending UFA)...I would ask for Zetterberg in return. With Datsuk playing so well, and Zetterberg a natural center, maybe they would be willing to part with him.

CombatOnContact is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
  #5
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest
 
BostonBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
I agree with you BronxBruin but isn't it better to get some depth players now
instead of nothing at the end of the season when Murray walks. Besides I think that
Holmstrom would be a top 6 forward on Boston and Dandenault would be an
improvement on guys like O'Donnell, Moran and maybe even McGillis on the blueline.
I believe that these guys are role players on Detroit but would be alot more on
the Bruins.

BostonBob is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
  #6
Gator Mike
 
Gator Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,987
vCash: 500
Dandenault's brutal. I'm not sure he could play for us.

Gator Mike is online now  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
  #7
Vincent Vega
GGTK
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact
If they would take Murray (a pending UFA)...I would ask for Zetterberg in return. With Datsuk playing so well, and Zetterberg a natural center, maybe they would be willing to part with him.
Horrible....

Murray is a UFA! Zetterberg is a 23 year old player who is going to be a huge part for Detroit for a very, very long time. Datsyuk or no Datsyuk, Zetterberg isnt going anywhere.

Vincent Vega is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:58 PM
  #8
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact
If they would take Murray (a pending UFA)...I would ask for Zetterberg in return. With Datsuk playing so well, and Zetterberg a natural center, maybe they would be willing to part with him.
I don't believe Detroit will part with Zetts for underachieving(this year) soon-to-be UFA.

I like Glen but Detroit is trying to get younger not older and Zetts has a very bright future.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 09:01 PM
  #9
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob
I agree with you BronxBruin but isn't it better to get some depth players now
instead of nothing at the end of the season when Murray walks. Besides I think that
Holmstrom would be a top 6 forward on Boston and Dandenault would be an
improvement on guys like O'Donnell, Moran and maybe even McGillis on the blueline.
I believe that these guys are role players on Detroit but would be alot more on
the Bruins.
I don't think so...
I'd rather have Murray and Thornton together for the rest of this year and go for the Cup than pack it in and trade for depth any day.
I think teams that give up this early in the season (unless you're really doing poorly)need to give their heads a shake. Anything can happen come post season, and usually does. There's been a lot of longshots playing for the Stanley Cup the last ten years.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 11:18 PM
  #10
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,884
vCash: 500
Holmstrom for Murray......DONE.

I am a big fan of Holmstrom and this would be a good deal for us. Muzz had a great two years here....more than we could have ever hoped for but he is clearly not the same player. I would take Holmstrom in a heartbeat.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 11:20 PM
  #11
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Holmstrom for Murray......DONE.

I am a big fan of Holmstrom and this would be a good deal for us. Muzz had a great two years here....more than we could have ever hoped for but he is clearly not the same player. I would take Holmstrom in a heartbeat.
I'd do this one too.

Don Cherry* is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 12:50 AM
  #12
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
I'd do this one too.
<BR>

Count me in too.

I'd deal Murray for even less, so this sounds great.

bp13 is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 02:25 PM
  #13
Spitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
I love Holmstrom's heart and the guy is willing to plant himself and take punishment like no one I've seen since Craig Simpson. Unfortunately, he has hands like Homer Simpson. Seriously: over the last five seasons, he's netted 13,13, 16, 8 and 20. You'd think he'd get more than that just by virtue of having pucks bounce in off his ass what with all the time he spends camped in the crease. Again, I like the guy and wouldn't mind having him, but I don't think I'd give up too much (ie, enough to woo Detroit) because I don't think he'd have that much of an impact.

Spitz is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 06:18 PM
  #14
ron jeremy jacobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob
I agree with you BronxBruin but isn't it better to get some depth players now
instead of nothing at the end of the season when Murray walks. Besides I think that
Holmstrom would be a top 6 forward on Boston and Dandenault would be an
improvement on guys like O'Donnell, Moran and maybe even McGillis on the blueline.
I believe that these guys are role players on Detroit but would be alot more on
the Bruins.
I'd rather have the draft pick if Murray walks. The guys are JAG's, we have enough of those already.

How about Jiri Hudler? Detroit gives up a true top prospect, but someone who is not helping now, for a guy who has scored 40+ in each of the last two years. helps Detroit now, helps us down the road.

ron jeremy jacobs is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
  #15
Vincent Vega
GGTK
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron jeremy jacobs

How about Jiri Hudler? Detroit gives up a true top prospect, but someone who is not helping now, for a guy who has scored 40+ in each of the last two years. helps Detroit now, helps us down the road.
We dont need help now, we are going to need help later down the road. That is why we wont trade Jiri Hudler for Glen Murray.

Vincent Vega is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 11:09 PM
  #16
JacobsMustGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Danvers
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
A guy who drives hard to the net and plays BETTER in the playoffs? On the Bruins? Nah, can't be.

A legit fast D-man? Am I dreaming?

Seriously, though, I am ready for Muzz to move along, and like both of these players. However, this trade is not the answer. What line is Holmstrom going to play on, the first? If not, then who is? Are these guys gonna stick here for 2-3 years? I'd rather wait and see if Muzz gets hot.

Further, I am skeptical of Detroit's 3/4th liners and 4-6 D-men outside of Detroit, where the system is in place and an abundance of stars means not much pressure...

JacobsMustGo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.