HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Proposal

Old
01-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Bills09

vCash: 500
Proposal

To St Louis:

Mats Sundin

To Toronto

Mayers
Oshie
1st in 08

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
To St Louis:

Mats Sundin

To Toronto

Mayers
Oshie
1st in 08
This is exactly the type of proposal that the Blues wouldnt even think about at this time we are in a rebuild and should not give away any of our top prospects or picks for an older player like Sundin at this point.

I do think he will net the Leafs a very good return if he is moved. It just doesnt make sence for the Blues at this point.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:47 PM
TrustInJarmo*

duck.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
To St Louis:

Mats Sundin

To Toronto

Mayers
Oshie
1st in 08
Sundin is OLD! Do you really believe that The rebuilding-youth-oriented-"build from within" Blues would be willing to give up OSHIE AND a #1 draft choice in this great 2008 Draft (not even mentioning the valuable versatile Mayers).

First of all....The Blues are not very likely to even sneak into this season's playoffs. But even IF they were to do so, even with Sundin helping their general offence and power play, -they still would have virtually NO chance to win The Stanley Cup (they just don't have the overall line depth, ability to score well in the tighter playoff hockey, and the defence to win more than one series. It would be foolhardy to give up TWO young players that could help them for 10-15 years (Oshie and #1) to be a little better (for maybe 2 years) and creep into the playoffs this season. Even if it were a "sign and trade (3-year contract)", there's no way they make such a trade.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:56 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
If the Blues were in a cup contending position, and Sundin was the final piece, I'd do it. But they're rebuilding, so no go. Oshie is a large part of this team's future at forward, along with Berglund, Eller, and Perron. Mayers is here to stay too, unless there's an offer too good to pass up.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Sundin isn't waiving his NMC to come to St. Louis. The Blues certainly aren't dealing Oshie and a 1st for a rental to try and make the playoffs, especially since they're quite likely to go out in the 1st round if they get there.

01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
rawrmachine

LOL

Thanks for playing.

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
StLooFrenchy

Oshie is the future of our franchise. He is the next Doug Gilmour. Any offer for him should start with a huge overpayment.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
General Veers

No way. Even if we managed to make the top 8, management wouldn't move T.J. just for a rental. If we get rolling (and lucky) and take the 8th spot, the rental added would be a virtual no-name scoring forward traded for a late pick or an under-performing player, imo.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
BlueBleeder

I think it's a very fair trade and if the circumstances were diffrent I'd do it.

#1 - Blues are rebuilding and it makes no sense for us to trade the future for just a playoff spot.

#2 - If were gearing up for a long playoff run, Mayers would be an intergral part of that team no way he gets dealt.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
BluesDarb

Oof!

That's all I can say....horrid deal for a team in the Blues' shoes.(hey, that rhymes! )

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Wes McSnipes*

Quote:
To St Louis:

Mats Sundin

To Toronto

Mayers
Oshie
1st in 08
If you called the Blues and proposed that trade, all you would hear is this: *Click*

That's the Blues hanging up the phone...

Not a chance we make that trade.

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
fan in oregon

it sounds like a bad deal for the blues but lets look a little deeper. sundin is a proven player while oshie is not. he seems to has issues too. first he wont sign and now he getting in trouble at school. i wouldnt give up my first in addition to oshie but if they would take jackman and salvador instead of the first and give us raycroft and bell i would seriously consider it. so the trade i propose is oshie, salvador, jackman, and mayers to toronto for sundin, bell, and raycroft. it would give us 2 scoring lines and a good backup goalie behind legace. this would get us in the playoffs even if wedont win the cup i think this is most fans want a competitive that makes the playoffs. aother thing this would do is put money in the teams pocket by playoff revenue and gives us extra cash to go after free agents like hossa and others,

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
DFAC

Lawl.

No chance in hell of happening.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
hahaha wow your not very bright are you? Oshie is coming to the Blues at the end of his season at UND in place of M.Johnson. We'll probably will probably use Glumac in Rucinsky's place since he is most likely gone as well. So Oshie is staying, Mayers is staying. simply that.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Bills09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
it sounds like a bad deal for the blues but lets look a little deeper. sundin is a proven player while oshie is not. he seems to has issues too. first he wont sign and now he getting in trouble at school. i wouldnt give up my first in addition to oshie but if they would take jackman and salvador instead of the first and give us raycroft and bell i would seriously consider it. so the trade i propose is oshie, salvador, jackman, and mayers to toronto for sundin, bell, and raycroft. it would give us 2 scoring lines and a good backup goalie behind legace. this would get us in the playoffs even if wedont win the cup i think this is most fans want a competitive that makes the playoffs. aother thing this would do is put money in the teams pocket by playoff revenue and gives us extra cash to go after free agents like hossa and others,
Done Deal.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
BluesDarb

Fan in Oregon does not represent the majority view.

No one I talk to wants the Blues to return to their "always make the playoffs, always lose" status. Oshie is a very key part of the Blues' future and I frankly don't want a 38 year old Sundin. He would not help this team longterm.

Old
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
To St Louis:

Mats Sundin

To Toronto

Mayers
Oshie
1st in 08

I actually expect that type of return will be had to Sundin. I just dont think it will be the Blues making the trade. At this point, unless Sundin was signing a 2 year deal, I just can't see the Blues bringing in a rental this year.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
Quote:
Done Deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
Fan in Oregon does not represent the majority view.
With the "logic" presented above, God no he doesn't. Not on this one, not by a LONG stretch.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Mike Jones

Just out of morbid curiosity, why did you include Mayers in this proposal?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Just out of morbid curiosity, why did you include Mayers in this proposal?
Probably because he's under contract, is a fan favorite, a potential leader, and is from Toronto. If you're trading a guy like Sundin, you probably want a warm body to stick in the lineup, too. That's actually the only part of the trade that makes any sense.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Probably because he's under contract, is a fan favorite, a potential leader, and is from Toronto. If you're trading a guy like Sundin, you probably want a warm body to stick in the lineup, too. That's actually the only part of the trade that makes any sense.
The first three things you mention are excellent reasons to keep Mayers in St. Louis. Why would the Blues trade someone under those circumstances?

If the Leafs need Roster-filla then why not look at a roster player Ryan Johnson?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
The first three things you mention are excellent reasons to keep Mayers in St. Louis. Why would the Blues trade someone under those circumstances?

If the Leafs need Roster-filla then why not look at a roster player Ryan Johnson?
Neither are expendable.

They want roster filler, how about McClement. He's worthless.

Old
01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:

I agree. But you have to give something to get something. I was just suggesting why a Leafs' fan might put Mayers into the proposal and how that actually makes more sense than Oshie or a first.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

My father is a Leafs fan and for years he's been mentioning how much he liked Mayers and would like to see him in Toronto too.

I don't get it, I think Leafs Nation have an elevated opinion of Mayers but then again I like Jammer quite a lot.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote