HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie needs help?

Old
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budclay
Such an unlucky, misunderstood guy with all these coincidences. Has nothing to do with the fact he might have a few screws loose.
Actually, all of those things you listed are indicative of a player that plays a mean, physical, and emotional brand of hockey. He's a player that needs to learn (He's only 20 years old, by the way) how to best collectively channel his emotions to become the most effective player he can be (he's already extremely effective, by the way).

Somehow that is a psychotic person? Go ahead and explain to me how any single one of those things indicates psychotic behavior? You are seriously comparing a kid that has fun hitting people and getting into fights and pissing people off in a hockey game with someone with mental issues? I'm sorry, but that connection simply is not there. Call him dirty, a punk, whatever, all of that is true, but not this steaming pile of crap that people are talking about him having mental problems...

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by budclay View Post
If cheapshot punches while a guy doesn't know it's coming constitutes hockey, then you and I have a different meaning about what hockey is and I'm glad we do. You should watch boxing, I hear there's a lot of punching in that sport.

And the Aliu incident perfectly sums up the point that Downie does in fact have issues.

20 plus guys on a team, and what a coincidence that it's Downie fighting his own teammate, mostly related back to a hazing incident, involving, suprise, surprise, Downie.

Just like it's a coincidence that he's been suspended at least 8 times in the OHL.

Just like it's a coincidence that it was recommended he seek counselling then and didn't cuz they though he had issues, including his own coach.

Just like it's a coincidence that he gets suspended in NHL preseason for a dangerous hit.

Just like it's a coincidence that he cheapshots Blake with a "harmless" punch.

Just like a coincidence that his hit on Olesz is a "little" late.

Just like it's a coincidence that only Flyers fans think there's nothing wrong w/ any of that.

Such an unlucky, misunderstood guy with all these coincidences. Has nothing to do with the fact he might have a few screws loose.
Thx Dr. Phil.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
budclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
He's dropped off a touch, but he was at a PPG for a good time, little details however. Also, if you're going to try to be sarcastic, try and spell 'who's' correctly.

Also, and to be frank, i don't give a rats ass what you think you 'know about Downie'. 'His crap' is massively over-stated vitriolic nonsense that is spouted generally by the Canadian media. It's like a witch-hunt.

I mean, soon they'll be seeing if he weighs more than a duck for fricks sake.
I wasn't being sarcastic, just factual, but thanks for pointing out the typo which has nothing to do with the post.

Sarcasm would be more like, if Downie ever gets cheap-shotted by some equally off kilter player like him, it would be an absolute coincidence that no one ever saw coming. Ever.

budclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Flyers_01

Anyone else think that Downie needs his own weekly TV show? Apparantly there's a huge demand for all downie/all the time coverage. Maybe end it with a questions from the viewers segment.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
If cheapshot punches while a guy doesn't know it's coming constitutes hockey, then you and I have a different meaning about what hockey is and I'm glad we do. You should watch boxing, I hear there's a lot of punching in that sport.

And the Aliu incident perfectly sums up the point that Downie does in fact have issues.

20 plus guys on a team, and what a coincidence that it's Downie fighting his own teammate, mostly related back to a hazing incident, involving, suprise, surprise, Downie.

Just like it's a coincidence that he's been suspended at least 8 times in the OHL.

Just like it's a coincidence that it was recommended he seek counselling then and didn't cuz they though he had issues, including his own coach.

Just like it's a coincidence that he gets suspended in NHL preseason for a dangerous hit.

Just like it's a coincidence that only Flyers fans think there's nothing wrong w/ any of that.

I never really thought about it like that before. You are right; he's a LOONY. Now I love him even more. And you might want to look under your bed tonight, I think the Downie monster might come get you. This is the part where you tremble with fear and beg forgiveness.

There have been many unbalanced guys play in the NHL. Our guy is just the latest, and it's more dramatic because he's a dreaded Broad Street Bully

Last edited by scottymac223: 01-28-2008 at 01:14 PM.
scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

If Downie was drafted by any of the 6 canadian clubs none of this would have been written on Downie by the Canadian media. The Canadian media and half the people on this board are obsessed with the Flyers anyway.
We are the most hated team in the league again. I love it.
Im glad Downie is on my hockey team.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
If Downie was drafted by any of the 6 canadian clubs none of this would have been written on Downie by the Canadian media. The Canadian media and half the people on this board are obsessed with the Flyers anyway.
We are the most hated team in the league again. I love it.
Im glad Downie is on my hockey team.
That's right.

Domi and Tucker were treated like gods in Toronto. They're both real "stable" individuals. Domi would never hit a player being held by someone else. Tucker would never fein injury and then bounce up and go nuts.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:

Your post just shows how far people will go to distort what happened. The hazing incident did not involve Downie, and the Aliu incident was as much about Aliu as it was Downie. But that doesnt fit into what you decided is the story: Downie is a crazed lunatic, and Flyers fans are bloodthirsty child molesters for supporting him.

Downie is an agitator. He hits, he fights, he gets under people's skin, he plays a physical game and has crossed the line from time to time. The NHL is chock full of players like that. If it wasnt for the Aliu incident, people would only think he is another Ruutu or Avery. Look at their careers you will find much worse than the Olesz hit and the Blake Punch. But the story is out that Downie is crazy, so people like you start to look at every small thing and blow it out of proportion.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
CantSeeColors

I can't believe people mis-characterize the Aliu incident so much. It was a case of the captain of the team (or just one of the leaders, I forget which teams he was actually captain of) calling out a player for not buying into the team aspect and not listening to the coaches. Then that player comes back out and starts to fight Downie, and he's supposed to back down? Seriously, what a crock. Downie is the type of guy who won't accept losing or laziness or individualism on a team and this incident is exactly that. Richards with a C and Downie with an A - trust me, it's coming at some point - are going to be a damn impressive leadership team down the road for the Flyers, and one that may rival Clarkie's.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:

Just like every other yutz who only reads the TSN headlines for their daily hockey updates, you're not worth the time.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
CarolinaFlyerFan

Quote:
Downie's been suspended at least eight times over his four seasons in the OHL, mostly for fighting and confrontations with refs including his own teammate. He was told to seek anger-management counselling during that time, but he refused to report back to the team.

After the McAmmond hit, he cheap shots Blake who was tied up and wasn't even looking, and has the late hit on Olesz which resulted in an injury. But, yeah, we're all just "crying" about nothing. If Downie was ANYTHING BUT Flyer, and had he "harmlessly" punched say a guy like Briere, or had a late hit that caused the "Cannon" Richards to be injured, you'd be singing a different tune I'm sure.

Sound, physical hockey is one thing, cheap, dirty hockey is another. It's not a coincidence that Downie gets called out for his supposed "sound, physical hockey" and a lot of other NHL players who play sound, physical hockey don't.

Guaranteed that his antics will get him seriously injured one of these days.

Take off the homer shades.
Again we have the fan that knows how we would react if it was the other way around. They just ignore the fact that we didn't start a thread on the main board when Cobourn was drilled into the boards behind and busted open by Kubina, or when Kukkonen was hit after the buzzer against the Isles. Hell we didn't even start a Downie thread on the main board, that was just the *******s saying he got what was coming to him, and it's a shame he wasn't seriously injured. But we're the homers.

CarolinaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM

I actually can't believe people are still going on about that Olesz hit. I mean....come on!

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
budclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Just like every other yutz who only reads the TSN headlines for their daily hockey updates, you're not worth the time.
Perfect. The only non-"yutzes" are Flyers fans. Now I get it.

It's the conspiracy of everybody against the Misundertstoods: Downie and the Flyers. I hear Oliver Stone's set to direct it. Should be great!

budclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

It's the conspiracy of everybody against the Misundertstoods: Downie and the Flyers. I hear Oliver Stone's set to direct it. Should be great!
Can i add you to the "Im scared of Downie" list?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:

You clearly just hate the Flyers and their fans, so go back to the Pens board and stop trolling. We've seen what you have to say, and its basically uninformed ranting without much point anymore.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
You clearly just hate the Flyers and their fans, so go back to the Pens board and stop trolling. We've seen what you have to say, and its basically uninformed ranting without much point anymore.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:

You've got to be able to distinguish the difference between crying about a conspiracy and laughing at it. We're very definitely in the latter part of that equation.

The NHL knocks us down, we keep coming back.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't think he dove, no. However, if it came out that he did (obviously, we're not going to hear that one way or the other), I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. Therefore, I think throwing someone under the bus for suggesting it is ridiculous.
Holy crap, Jester, are the planets not alligned properly? Did you just admit that you made (**horrors**) a mistake?? Or at the very least that you "were not initially correct?" I may have to mark this day in red on my calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
If downie needs any help, he'll probably need help collecting the bodies of all the morons that talk about him.
Well done. I laughed for a good 5 minutes---cuz ya know it's true.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I just realised that Starscream HAS TO BE Sidney Crosby.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
hockeydadx2*

According to ESPN radio, no suspension for Laracque.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote