HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez Vs. Jagr

Old
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Gomez Vs. Jagr

i have watched most of the rangers games this year, and i have to come to realize that gomez, is the better player, this year.....i was then doing some research and came to find that gomez has about 15 MORE shots than jagr does on goal......i hjave a couple of questions:

who has been better this year?

what do you expect from them both post-all-star break?

how is it possible that gomez has more shots on goal then jagr, who is supposed to be a goal scorer?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Nich

gomez

i expect gomez to average more points, but only because i expect jagr to pick up his game a lot

because jagr hasn't been himself this year yet

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i have watched most of the rangers games this year, and i have to come to realize that gomez, is the better player, this year.....i was then doing some research and came to find that gomez has about 15 MORE shots than jagr does on goal......i hjave a couple of questions:

how is it possible that gomez has more shots on goal then jagr, who is supposed to be a goal scorer?
Gomez has been more consistent to this point this season...Jagr is the better player regardless......in what we all know is a very off season for him Jagr is tied for 1st in goals on the team, he is second on the team in scoring, and a point behind Gomez. I expect Jagr to pick up his game some more as he already was before the All Star game, and Gomez to remain consistent.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If Jagr can get going (or at least keep up his level of play of late) it will also help Gomez.

01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If Jagr can get going (or at least keep up his level of play of late) it will also help Gomez.
Agreed singn! A more dangerous Jagr bodes well for several players up front as well as the entire team!

Old
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
John Torturella

If Jagr gets to 05-06 or even last years form, this team would make a run at the Cup for sure.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:24 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
If Jagr gets to 05-06 or even last years form, this team would make a run at the Cup for sure.
That's a tall order...I'll just be happy if Jagr shows more consistency again. He is still more than capable of taking over if he wants to....I just don't think he is as carefree as he used to be....ie. he's too concerned with making mistakes off his offense.

Old
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Gomez by far and by much. It's not just about the stats.

Quote:
I assume Gomez will continue to be steady and consistently good. And the Rangers best forward. I have no reason to assume he'd drop off his play. As for Jagr, I have no idea. He looks "done". But you'd be surprised how much a little bit of confidence can change the entire appearance and demeanor of a player. I'm surprised he has been so poor this season. I'm surprised he doesn't shoot the puck. I'm surprised about a lot of things.

Quote:
Neither player has the goal scorer mentality. But this season Gomez has definitely been the more goal scoring minded of the two. Many times he has been very determined and aggressive about getting shots to the net. They are both instinctively pass first guys but Jagr has been more prone to give up prime scoring chances this season.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

1. Gomez. Couldn't answer it any other way.

2. I expect Gomez to continue his current play and I expect Jagr to go on a tear.

3. Most of Jagr's 'shots' get blocked or deflected. At least it seems that way. I'm not much a fan of the 'Gomez shot'. It's horrible, always from wide corners and directly into the goalie (most times anyway), especially when he does that on a PP and they whistle it, just a waste. (I know our powerplay sucks anyway, but it shouldn't, and that shot, which we also saw Shanahan take all the damn time in the beginning of the year, sucks).

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think if Avery sticks on the top line, Jagr's #s will go up. Straka is just not the kind of guy to get in front of the crease to get garbage rebounds. So many of our shots as a team are from the perimeter, and rarely do we seem to be in a position to take advantage of rebound opportunities.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think if Avery sticks on the top line, Jagr's #s will go up. Straka is just not the kind of guy to get in front of the crease to get garbage rebounds. So many of our shots as a team are from the perimeter, and rarely do we seem to be in a position to take advantage of rebound opportunities.
Disagree. Jagr doesn't like Avery's style of play. Straka is the guy that needs to be on Jagr's line, but Straka also should be with Drury, but Gomez needs to be with Jagr, so everything's messed up.

I wish we had more versatile players.

Old
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Disagree. Jagr doesn't like Avery's style of play. Straka is the guy that needs to be on Jagr's line, but Straka also should be with Drury, but Gomez needs to be with Jagr, so everything's messed up.

If it produces points and opportunities, then Jagr may have to live with it.

Old
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
NY Ranger86

Gomez has outplayed Jagr this year, anyone who watches the rangers knows this. Why does gomez have more shots on goal? because Jagr is in assist mode...simple. Jagr has off years, look at his year by year stats...it happens...especially with dramatic constant line changes. but when he's rolling, he's rolling.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
If it produces points and opportunities, then Jagr may have to live with it.
Hey I'm all for that just like you and pretty much everybody else. Jagr is a different story, though.

Hopefully he can handle it.. but I'm not really happy that Avery is on our first line, but, whatever works...

Just get Jagr on a tear. Make him know playoffs are in visible sight.

Old
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
you would think that if Jagr wants to stay in NY so bad then he would be working his tail off for that option to kick in for next year.

I think Gomez and Jagr are slowly learning how each other plays. Both of them are going to have to give a little until they find their comfort zone with each other. Obviously this has taken alot longer than many fans would have liked but that is what has happened. hopefully the Rangers will come out of the ASB flying high and really start climbing these standings....with Gomez and Jagr leading the way offensively

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
NYR1724

This is going to sound weird, but does anybody think Jagr just manages his body until its the right time? Remember in 2005-2006 where he was on a tear for the whole season and then he really struggled down the stretch? Well last season he was struggling by his standards for most of the year and then turned it on the last two months. I hope we see that again this year.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think Gomez has been far and away the better player. Not only statistically speaking, but just in his performance and general attitude on and off the ice. He's been really great with the media and he's always playing hard on the ice.

I love Jagr as much as the next guy, but he really needs to get his act together soon and start leading this team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
you would think that if Jagr wants to stay in NY so bad then he would be working his tail off for that option to kick in for next year.
He may, in fact, be working his tail off, but the reality of being in his mid-30s and playing 82 games a year may finally be catching up with him.

Old
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He may, in fact, be working his tail off, but the reality of being in his mid-30s and playing 82 games a year may finally be catching up with him.
Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing. He's getting moved off pucks. He's not getting his shot off. And, most importantly, he's not making adjustments in his game.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:42 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post

Straka isn't working, Avery will. I've been saying it all year, this team does not get garbage goals, on the first line at least. Rebounds are either far off to the boards or picked up by the other team, their only hope is a goal on the first shot. The problem with this (Not to mention missing huge secondary chances at goals) is they shoot straight to the goalie. No deflections, no redirections, not screening. It's like our shooters just hope to find the hole, making it incredibly easy for goalies on the other team. Ever notice how we seem to make mediocre goalies look like all star studs? This is why. At least Avery will plant his behind on top of the crease and cause some havoc, The goals will come more often this way, give it a shot.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
chosen

Gomez might be performing better than Jagr this year but neither one approaches how well Jagr used to play. That's the problem.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
bumrusherer

Gomez has been more consistent than Jagr...but Jagr has probably been just as good over the past month or so.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
NY Ranger86

agreed

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think you guys forget Jagr leads your team in scoring over the past month or so. You make it sound like he is in some mega slump when in actuality he is easily the hottest player on the team. Gomez may have been slightly betetr than Jagr for most of the season, but do not try and pretend Gomez was some demi-god before Jagr started scoring. He was just as lost and just as useless before they started playing on the same line in December.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 02:53 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think you guys forget Jagr leads your team in scoring over the past month or so. You make it sound like he is in some mega slump when in actuality he is easily the hottest player on the team. Gomez may have been slightly betetr than Jagr for most of the season, but do not try and pretend Gomez was some demi-god before Jagr started scoring. He was just as lost and just as useless before they started playing on the same line in December.
Since the start of January, Jagr has 12 points and Gomez has 11 so it's anot much of a lead. Since the start of December Jagr has 26 and Gomez has 28.
Yes I was bored........
Jagr points:
Oct - 11
Nov - 9
Dec - 14
Jan - 12

Gomez points:
Oct - 3
Nov - 15
Dec - 17
Jan - 11

Most games in a row without a point: Jagr 5 (in November), Gomez 5 (in October)

Most games in a row with a point: Jagr 8 (Dec/Jan) Gomez 10 (Dec/Jan)

Games without a point: Jagr 23, Gomez 17

Multi point games: Jagr 13, Gomez 11

Jagr has scored in 3 games where Gomez hasn't registered a point. Gomez has scored in 7 games where Jagr hasn't scored a point.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of all that was but it sure killed some time!

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote