HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it in our interest to make a splash at the trade deadline?

Old
01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Thanks for using all this logic and reason IB, it does wonders for keeping my homerism in remission!
Hey, I hope to hell we go 22-12-0 down the stretch as much as anyone else - but I'm honest enough to admit the chances of it happening are slim, and pulling out all the stops to try and make it happen are silly and not in the franchise's best interests going forward.

01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
General Veers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Hey, I hope to hell we go 22-12-0 down the stretch as much as anyone else - but I'm honest enough to admit the chances of it happening are slim, and pulling out all the stops to try and make it happen are silly and not in the franchise's best interests going forward.
Don't let the laughing smilie fool you, I was being sincere.
But yea, if someone said go all out to make the postseason we'd flame them off the board!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Good news: we won tonight, meaning we only need 42 points in the last 33 games [21-12-0]. Nashville and Columbus [both ahead of us] lost in regulation.

Bad news: Phoenix [who's also ahead of us] won, so even after accounting for games in hand we're still behind the Coyotes.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
two words that I think would help this team drastically.

Jarret Stoll

I'm a fan of this guy. This teams powerplay ahs been terrible (worst in the league) and I believe one of the reasons we don't have that is we have no one on the point that can really jump up and contribute. We don't have a shot like his from the point or his drive to the forcheck on the point.

He would also help our puck control greatly winning faceoffs. I think we sould buy at the deadline, but we sould buy guys like last year in Boyes. I would rather stay away from the vets as we can simply sign one in the offseason. We do need to improve the team through trade, but not go all out to win. The playoffs are a priority though and this is the closest we have been in 4 years so let's try to slip in.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Good news: we won tonight, meaning we only need 42 points in the last 33 games [21-12-0]. Nashville and Columbus [both ahead of us] lost in regulation.

Bad news: Phoenix [who's also ahead of us] won, so even after accounting for games in hand we're still behind the Coyotes.
everyone laughed at me when I said the coyotes would make the playoffs, but I really think they will. this will be a close push. I trhink both teams could get in. i think Nashville and Colorado may slip.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:42 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

I gotta say I'm agreeing more and more with IB, despite our breaking the losing streak; apart from the dreadful roadtrip in march that IB mentioned, the blues are playing 15 games in 29 days in Feb., meaning that theyd have to approach every with major intensity and hardwork, while not getting much rest, then have to go on the road for nearly three weeks and although I believe they have the potential to do this, they have thus far not been able to show the consistency of being able to show up game in and game out without having a couple off nights, I would love to see Blues make it to the playoffs and have a crapshot at the cup this one year, but would I want them to sacrifice integral parts of the future for a slim chance at the cup this year rather be patient and see them as legitimate contenders for many years in the future? I'd have to lean toward no

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
everyone laughed at me when I said the coyotes would make the playoffs, but I really think they will. this will be a close push. I trhink both teams could get in. i think Nashville and Colorado may slip.
OH YEAH! Colorado will slip...combined with the injuries...Q won't help them out in any way either.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
I gotta say I'm agreeing more and more with IB, despite our breaking the losing streak; apart from the dreadful roadtrip in march that IB mentioned, the blues are playing 15 games in 29 days in Feb., meaning that theyd have to approach every with major intensity and hardwork, while not getting much rest, then have to go on the road for nearly three weeks and although I believe they have the potential to do this, they have thus far not been able to show the consistency of being able to show up game in and game out without having a couple off nights, I would love to see Blues make it to the playoffs and have a crapshot at the cup this one year, but would I want them to sacrifice integral parts of the future for a slim chance at the cup this year rather be patient and see them as legitimate contenders for many years in the future? I'd have to lean toward no
For the 1,000th time, NO ONE is suggesting this! What I'm saying is, if we over-achieve and contend for the 8th spot, without becoming "buyers", it will go a LONG way in teaching the youth how to give 100% every shift and conduct themselves as pros. We just need the vets to step up and lead by example.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
The gift wrapped Ilya Bryzgalov (sp?) helps. If you said the team(Coyotes) from the beginning of this season(minus Bryz) would have been in the playoffs I would have laughed at you as well.

and I think we actually don't have too much problem with puck control in our face off circle these days, not that Stoll couldn't help but it would depend on what the price was.

you were also not impressed with Backes at the beginning of the season, implying that he was the dead weight on the Stemp-McClemment-Backes line. So your track record isn't the greatest.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote