OT: Seattle NHL expansion interest

Old
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

vCash: 500
OT: Seattle NHL expansion interest

Quote:
Bettman said there has been expansion interest from parties in Las Vegas, Seattle, and Winnipeg. "We are talking to people about their interests, but nothing more formal than that," said Bettman
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...mong_4/?page=2

Interesting. Now, I don't think the NHL should expand right now, there are enough teams. If there WERE to be an expansion though, I would love to see a team here. The biggest question, of course, is what to do about an arena, because clearly the Key won't cut it.

As long as I'm dreaming, the ideal situation would be for an investment group to build a new, modern arena to house the Sonics and a new NHL expansion team.

PS. Sorry for posting an NHL-related thread in the WHL forum, but this is the only place I could think of that a number of hockey fans in the region might see it.

Last edited by Dogberry: 01-28-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
LeafsFan92

Very cool, I have gone to quite a few T-Bird games, and if the Sonics leave town I hope to see this happen

LeafsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Stripes

It doesn't matter if the Sonics leave or not. A new arena has to be built and ready BEFORE an NHL team is awarded to Seattle. The Key Arena isn't even good enough for a temporary home. Hell, the Thunderbirds are moving to Kent next season.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
SpokaneChiefs

I think the NHL in Seattle would be awesome! And the sooner the OKC Sonics leave town the better!!!

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Jimmypop316

Highly unlikely. Key Arena just flat out needs to go.

Build a new arena and then lets talk a team.

Jimmypop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmypop316 View Post
Highly unlikely. Key Arena just flat out needs to go.

Build a new arena and then lets talk a team.
Sorry, shoulda been a little more clear. NHL in Seattle would be awesome if there were a new arena. Key is a dump.

I think if Seattle has a good shot at it, an arena could be built.

Old
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneChiefs View Post
I think the NHL in Seattle would be awesome! And the sooner the OKC Sonics leave town the better!!!
A new arena would need to be built and if the city gets it the Sonics won't have to move.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
A new arena would need to be built and if the city gets it the Sonics won't have to move.
Well, lets hope it would happen after the sonics move (which looks to be very soon). Let the NHL team be the main tenant!

Old
07-04-2008, 02:07 AM
SpokaneChiefs

So, Sonics are now gone. What are the possibilities of this happening? The city wants the NBA back, in order for that to happen there has to be a new arena (1 reason there is no NHL already in Seattle). Do you think 2 groups could get together, get an arena built, and be awarded expansion franchises?

Old
07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Portland is another market, maybe better maybe worse, but unless paul allen takes the blazers to seattle it won't happen, he hates direct competition. Honestly, portland deserves an NHL team over seattle...boo effin who you lost the sonics you've still got an NFL team and a MLB team, all we've got is the blazers.

Just more of portland getting overlooked because seattle is right up the street.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Just more of portland getting overlooked because seattle is right up the street.
Well...Columbus didn't get overlooked for Cleveland or Cincinnati, and Nashville didn't get overlooked for Houston (4th largest market, clearly capable of being a 4-sport town)

Old
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
Well...Columbus didn't get overlooked for Cleveland or Cincinnati, and Nashville didn't get overlooked for Houston (4th largest market, clearly capable of being a 4-sport town)
Take a look at this, best article i've seen on the pro's and con's of portland as a sports market.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...04623572921100

Old
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Take a look at this, best article i've seen on the pro's and con's of portland as a sports market.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...04623572921100
That is a good article, and I'm not a southern/expansion hater like 99% of the hockey world, as long as it makes sense. I've been hoping for a while that Portland gets another sport.

Old
07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
That is a good article, and I'm not a southern/expansion hater like 99% of the hockey world, as long as it makes sense. I've been hoping for a while that Portland gets another sport.
there are legitimate questions as to whether or not portland can support another pro-sports team, the most pressing of which is the lack of a big corporate core (ironically thats what makes it such a great place to live in the first place).

As far as hockey goes, we've got a rich hockey history, as does seattle. Want to know how to make hockey work in the NW USA? Put teams in both cities, as you've seen from my post, there is a natural rivalry there. Portland/seattle WHL games are great experiences, as were breakers vs buckaroo's and probably even metropolitans vs rosebuds. That rivalry will help jump start both franchises, not to mention the fact that portland has been desperate for another team.

Old
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
SpokaneChiefs

Would the Rose Garden be able to support an NHL team? I was kind of under the assumption that it was about as bad as the Key...

Old
07-10-2008, 12:22 AM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneChiefs View Post
Would the Rose Garden be able to support an NHL team? I was kind of under the assumption that it was about as bad as the Key...
the garden is leaps and bounds above the key arena. Garden was built in 1995, key arena was built in '62 and renovated in 94, garden holds 19,500(wikipedia claims 18,500) for hockey, key holds 15k. Not to mention the amenities in the building are pretty darn good.

Compare this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Key_Arena.jpg

to this

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/...c8cf5d.jpg?v=0

only thing holding the garden back is paul allens giant ego (and poor business sense) and the lack of sufficient locker rooms to house an NHL team.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Avs Fan

Obviously, if a team came to Seattle, the Key would NOT be it's arena. There are already discussions of a new arena being built to house a NHL team and NBA team. I think that it could build a huge rivalry with the Canucks, and if Portland received a team that would build even a bigger rivalry. Right now, the rivalries with Everett, and Portland are huge. Growing up in Spokane and being a season ticket holder there from when I was a kid until moving to Seattle it was fun to watch the Chiefs/Ams rivalries. But, to have two rivalries on the I-5 Corridor is pretty awesome too. Hopefully, Portland can turn there team around a bit and be the team they used to be when they won the Cup in Spokane.

I always sit and ponder an NHL team coming to Seattle, as we don't get many fans at the Birds game, precisely because that KEY sucks. It will be interesting to see what happens this year with the new arena for the Birds. If they can fill the arena, then that will prove to me that Seattle is ready for a team. If they can't fill a 6k arena then, I would say not. Growing up in Spokane the arena houses more then 10k fans and used to sell out all the time. Pretty amazing following in that city. I am a diehard Birds fan and Chiefs fan and would love to see a team arrive in the Emerald City. Like I said, if they can fill a 6k arena this year then we are ready to support the big boys. But, if not then I would say Winnipeg and Portland are the destinations.

Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Steelhawk

come on Seattle Whalers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Steelhawk

just need a rink have the history the fans the location.. Canucks new rival! Seattle has one Stanley Cup already beat the Canadiens of all teams, you put historic city with a historic name like whalers which colors and name goes with the city there would create a good fan base already with people who still love and miss there whalers and lets face it hartford will never get again to small of market and no rink but many in NHL miss..
Seattle Whalers for 2012!?

Steelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:02 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhawk View Post
come on Seattle Whalers!!!!!!!!!!!!
If there ever is a hockey franchise in Seattle again, it should be the Metropolitans. They have the winning history and have, what, four Hall of Famers?

Plus I would love to see how wild the update of this jersey is:

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If there ever is a hockey franchise in Seattle again, it should be the Metropolitans. They have the winning history and have, what, four Hall of Famers?

Plus I would love to see how wild the update of this jersey is:

As a NY transplant, I don't know if I can cheer for a team called "the Mets". I suppose I'd get over it.

(And no, I'm not a Yankees fan either.)

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
bosshogg18

I agree. If we ever get an NHL team it has to be called the Metropolitans. Much the same way when there was a vote for the soccer team in town, Sounders was not even on the ballot, it was a write-in choice. I was glad to see Seattle went with tradition over generic names such as Union, or some other names.
Also Seattle won a Stanley Cup as the Metropolitans. It would be cool for the them to hang that 1917 banner up on opening night.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote