Notices

Teemu Returns

Old
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Plus this year's salary cap space. Because if you had the salary cap space to absorb it it's a non-issue.

Kunitz-Weight-Selanne is what it'll start at, but my bold prediction is that by season's end it'll be ???-Getzlaf-Selanne. With either Kunitz or Perry on the other wing (Selanne doesn't play left right? What about Perry?).
I'd be inclined to go along with that as a PP line.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Randall Graves*

I was reading the transcript on the official site and it seems like Teemu is still leaving the door open to play beyond this year, not sure how likely is but if he still enjoys the game maybe he will come back again depending on this years outcome, though i'm not holding my breath.

Anyways the other teams in the west are going to be forced to make moves to beat the Ducks and Wings now IMO, and if the Wings end up with Sundin then I bet you Burke will answer.

There are officially NO excuses for the PP now, the man with the most PP goals last year is apart of it, can't wait to see who Teemu plays with.

At ES I really want to see him with Getz he's the only other player that can think on Teemus level IMO and i'm sure it'll be tried if we have a goal scoring drought.

I personally like Kunitz/Getz/Selanne and Bertuzzi/Weight/Perry. Bert and Perry just play a game more suited to Weights style.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:07 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That's definitely bold, considering Getzlaf is well on his way to a 90-point season, and Perry on his way to a 40-goal season, playing together.
Yup it's plenty bold. Although I also predicted Moen, Miller, or Sutherby would play with Getzlaf and Perry and not Bertuzzi since Bert had never done well at LW in Vancouver... so my predictions probably aren't worth much. On the other hand, I also predicted Crosby wouldn't break 100 points, even if that was a "noninjury" prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
I'd be inclined to go along with that as a PP line.
I'm just the opposite, I think Weight will be dynamite with Selanne on the PP. I think Getzlaf will be with Selanne ES because he's the only offensive teammate that can skate with him. Kunitz doesn't count because he's not offensively focused.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Yup it's plenty bold. Although I also predicted Moen, Miller, or Sutherby would play with Getzlaf and Perry and not Bertuzzi since Bert had never done well at LW in Vancouver... so my predictions probably aren't worth much. On the other hand, I also predicted Crosby wouldn't break 100 points, even if that was a "noninjury" prediction.

I'm just the opposite, I think Weight will be dynamite with Selanne on the PP. I think Getzlaf will be with Selanne ES because he's the only offensive teammate that can skate with him. Kunitz doesn't count because he's not offensively focused.
Bertuzzi-Weight-Kunitz is a recipe for disaster. Bert cannot carry a line. Selanne has to be there and be close to his old self or we're right back where we were.

Old
01-28-2008, 11:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
I was reading the transcript on the official site and it seems like Teemu is still leaving the door open to play beyond this year, not sure how likely is but if he still enjoys the game maybe he will come back again depending on this years outcome, though i'm not holding my breath.
Yes he didn't deny that he could come back, but I didn't get any sense that he wanted to come back either. He essentially just said "let's see next offseason."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
Bertuzzi-Weight-Kunitz is a recipe for disaster. Bert cannot carry a line. Selanne has to be there and be close to his old self or we're right back where we were.
Yeah I'm definitely more of a fan of Kunitz-Getz-Selanne and Bert-Weight-Perry. Because that gives 2 balanced lines, with 2 different styles (1st line can be faster paced, 2nd line is pure forecheck). 1 goalscorer on each line (Perry, Selanne), 2 physical, corner guys on each line (Kunitz-Getz, Bert-Perry). I just left Perry as an option on the first since he and Getz feed off of each other so well. And Rally agrees with me so I'm not totally crazy.

But Perry has been split from Getzlaf a few times this year, and quiet a bit on the PP. Maybe Carlyle was trying it out in case Selanne returned?

Old
01-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Lyons71

Yay, the Ducks have a powerplay again!!!

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Jerky Leclerc

With the tagging space, would Burke be wise to bring back Andy Mac? Or am I out in left field?

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
With the tagging space, would Burke be wise to bring back Andy Mac? Or am I out in left field?
Not unless he doesn't like the idea of having Perry after this year.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Yes he didn't deny that he could come back, but I didn't get any sense that he wanted to come back either. He essentially just said "let's see next offseason."

Yeah I'm definitely more of a fan of Kunitz-Getz-Selanne and Bert-Weight-Perry. Because that gives 2 balanced lines, with 2 different styles (1st line can be faster paced, 2nd line is pure forecheck). 1 goalscorer on each line (Perry, Selanne), 2 physical, corner guys on each line (Kunitz-Getz, Bert-Perry). I just left Perry as an option on the first since he and Getz feed off of each other so well. And Rally agrees with me so I'm not totally crazy.

But Perry has been split from Getzlaf a few times this year, and quiet a bit on the PP. Maybe Carlyle was trying it out in case Selanne returned?
I think Perry probably has it in him to carry a line, though I think we'd see his goal-scoring slow as his goal-assist ratio would level. Without any idea what Teemu looks like, I'd say that a Perry-Weight-Kunitz is still not an ideal line, not as much as having Teemu there would be to back defenses off.

But we just have to wait and see. I really just am hoping that Teemu doesn't embarass himself.

Old
01-29-2008, 01:03 AM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
well, well, well...everybody is excited like hell...I can't help but think about the last year Preds, or the Avs a few years back with Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Forsberg, Blake, Kariya, Liles, Selanne, Foote...names don't win you anything. They will have to raise their game quite a bit to be eye-to-eye with the Wings or the Sens...

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

^^^^^ this is true, simply look at the rangers this year. Brings up a good point, but im sure selanne and niedermayer atleast will want to win the cup atleat as everyone figures this is their last year.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Randall Graves*

Perry has shown he can play without Getzlaf, they are great together but we've been a one line team all year. Perry, Bertuzzi and Weight are great on the walls they could mesh, Kunitz and Selanne are transition players who use their speed to create chances, and Getz can pretty much do anything.

and if nothing else works you could always go for lightning in a bottle and put Kunitz and Selanne with Marchant and just use the speed and forechecking ability to score, I remember a few years ago Selanne and Marchant played quite well together for a couple of playoff games.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Just want to say congrats to Anaheim for getting Selanne again. I'm pleased to see him back in the league.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Perry has shown he can play without Getzlaf, they are great together but we've been a one line team all year. Perry, Bertuzzi and Weight are great on the walls they could mesh, Kunitz and Selanne are transition players who use their speed to create chances, and Getz can pretty much do anything.

and if nothing else works you could always go for lightning in a bottle and put Kunitz and Selanne with Marchant and just use the speed and forechecking ability to score, I remember a few years ago Selanne and Marchant played quite well together for a couple of playoff games.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 07:23 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Really? A smilie for a response? He's making sense. I'm sure it's going to start out as Kunitz-Weight-Selanne as a second line. However, should that not work out, we all know Carlyle is going to mix it up. I have yet to read a decent argument on why Marchant isn't an option. Again, as he said, "if nothing else works".

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Pwnasaurus

I'm very happy that I was wrong and we have Teemu back obv. It'll be interesting to see what the combos become. mmmm combo.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

To the couple posters earlier in the thread shooting their load about "instant Cup favorites", "only Detroit can stop us" kind of stuff... get a grip. I agree for sure it makes you guys co-favorites at least, but not only is Detroit capable of stopping you, but I believe -if they get some scoring punch at the deadline- that Vancouver is certainly more than capable of playing in close games with the Ducks, given their D depth, and Mr. Luongo in net.

I think about the only thing that's clear right now, before any big trades have been made, is that there's no one in teh East who stands in your way. Ottawa's G is way too suspect this year and they really haven't gotten any bigger as a team, so they would face the same problems they did last year IMO. The Rangers are too soft on D, so is Philly. I suppose NJ might have a fighting chance with Marty in net but they're not as physically imposing as they used to be.

So your big obstacles are in teh West not the east, but it's more than just Detroit. Even Colorado, if they can get healthy and acquire some bangers, might have a chance at an upset. There's enough offensive talent there that if Theodore gets on one of his hot streaks, they could be very tough in a given series.

So don't count your Cups before they hatch but I think you guys certainly have as good a shot as anyone.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
To the couple posters earlier in the thread shooting their load about "instant Cup favorites", "only Detroit can stop us" kind of stuff... get a grip.
Pretty sure it was fans of other teams who were spewing that. No one would want to jinx their team.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
To the couple posters earlier in the thread shooting their load about "instant Cup favorites", "only Detroit can stop us" kind of stuff... get a grip. I agree for sure it makes you guys co-favorites at least, but not only is Detroit capable of stopping you, but I believe -if they get some scoring punch at the deadline- that Vancouver is certainly more than capable of playing in close games with the Ducks, given their D depth, and Mr. Luongo in net.

I think about the only thing that's clear right now, before any big trades have been made, is that there's no one in teh East who stands in your way. Ottawa's G is way too suspect this year and they really haven't gotten any bigger as a team, so they would face the same problems they did last year IMO. The Rangers are too soft on D, so is Philly. I suppose NJ might have a fighting chance with Marty in net but they're not as physically imposing as they used to be.

So your big obstacles are in teh West not the east, but it's more than just Detroit. Even Colorado, if they can get healthy and acquire some bangers, might have a chance at an upset. There's enough offensive talent there that if Theodore gets on one of his hot streaks, they could be very tough in a given series.

So don't count your Cups before they hatch but I think you guys certainly have as good a shot as anyone.
I'm trying to locate where exactly a Ducks fan called this team "instant Cup Contenders", or anything similar. I think most of us are quite excited, but are perfectly aware of the hurdles that lie ahead of the Ducks. There aren't going to be many Western Conference playoff teams who won't be capable of pulling off an upset with some strong goaltender and brass balls.

That said, I think you'd be pretty excited if your team just added a 48 goal scorer.

Old
01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:

You're absolutely correct... except you're in the wrong thread. Not a single Ducks fan has said anything about being the Cup favorite. It's been all other teams' fans, and mostly on the main board. Most Ducks fan posts are concerned with "will he actually do well?" "is there enough firepower now?" "I hope Teemu doesn't suck"

edit: haha, triple team. Sort of like what the Ducks would do to a cheap shotter on the ice.

So apparently in practice Selanne practiced with Bert and Sutherby, with Kunitz-Weight-Bochenski forming the 2nd line. Getz and Perry were still out from the All-Star break. It seems to me the most conservative slotting in of Getzlaf and Perry means the exact lines I proposed (Bert-Getz-Salami, Kunitz-Weight-Perry). Vapid speculation of course.

Old
01-29-2008, 09:37 AM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
What Duck forwards will suffer the biggest loss in ice time due to Selanne coming back?

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
What Duck forwards will suffer the biggest loss in ice time due to Selanne coming back?
I'd have to guess Bochenski. It'd depend on what the lines end up being.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Frank Grimey Grimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
I'd have to guess Bochenski. It'd depend on what the lines end up being.
definitely. any power play time he's seen so far should evaporate from here on out

Frank Grimey Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

Nobody here is saying we are instant cup favs. We're definitely one of the top contenders and I don't think anyone here really disagrees with that, but we don't think we're a sure in by any means. Talent looks good on paper, but it does nothing if the team can't do well together.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
definitely Bochenski. He may end up being traded or waived when everyone is healthy. The other person who I think will suffer eventually is Carter. Only due to the fact that he's the only one capable of being sent down. I guess one could argue that B.Ryan will suffer as well.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote