HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulletin board material from Barry Melrose

Old
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Bulletin board material from Barry Melrose

If there was ever bulletin board material for the Rangers it is this. (Even though Melrose is right). Any of the guys read these boards?

"I think the Rangers won't make it. Isn't it the Tin Man that had no heart in the "Wizard of Oz?" That's the Blueshirts right now. They are playing with no passion; it looks like work for them. Compare that to the play of the Islanders, who look like the better team right now, and it's will beats skill."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3218474

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Melrose is definitely right and its not like he hates the rangers because in the beginning of the season he was in full support of them. He is simply stating the obvious. The rangers should see this though and use it to their advantage

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

cant argue with Barry at all. imho, hes 100% right. if the team doesnt play with a crap load of heart, and the teams around them lose a fair share of games, they wont make it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Melrose has never been more dead on

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

And, yet, the Isles have 1 game in hand and are tied in points with those heartless Rangers, who have NO proven record of playing well down the stretch and securing a playoff spot. Yup, just too much for the Rangers to overcome. Give it a week of good play from the Rangers and Melrose will be spouting a different tune.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And, yet, the Isles have 1 game in hand and are tied in points with those heartless Rangers, who have NO proven record of playing well down the stretch and securing a playoff spot. Yup, just too much for the Rangers to overcome. Give it a week of good play from the Rangers and Melrose will be spouting a different tune.
well of course, since we have yet to have a week of good play

and really, lets not lie to ourselves, the islanders are playing better than us....right now....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
well of course, since we have yet to have a week of good play

and really, lets not lie to ourselves, the islanders are playing better than us....right now....
And yet, both teams are tied. You would think last year would be a lesson to every Ranger fan, but, we still get "the sky is falling" routine. This team was further from a playoff spot at a later date, and suffered a thought-to-be devastating home-and-home series with the Debbies, whereby, even though outplaying the Debbies, they got only 1 point, and had a GWer go in off Rachunek, and then suffered through the Shanny-Knuble collision game. And, yet, they found a way to make the playoffs. Pardon me if I believe Melrose has his head in some orifice of his body, as usual.

Old
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Nich

jas, we are tied with a team that has HALF the talent of our team.....so yes, we are not as good as them

Old
01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
jas, we are tied with a team that has HALF the talent of our team.....so yes, we are not as good as them
Which means what? Are playoff spots being handed out right now? Is the observation that the Rangers have under-achieved? Great, here's a cookie, Barry. Let me know when the it's official that the Rangers have been eliminated from the playoffs, and I'll give Melrose the kudos some think he deserves for this grand observation.

Old
01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
zacn

Yeah, well if you look at Melrose's Rangers predictions over the last two years, you'll see that the guy is wrong 100% of the time. I can start after the lockout when he said they would be in the cellar all year and that they couldn't rely on Lundqvist to be a number one goalie, but more recently he started last year by saying the Rangers would be tops in the league. Half way through the year after he clearly got caught up in the hype and the Rangers were tanking, the way he spoke about them made you think they were the worst team ever to lace up skates (and he made it seem like this was no surprise and that he had always thought this). Around the trade deadline he made another statement about how there was NO WAY they'd make the playoffs.

Basically, I think he just looks at the last 15 games and makes his team predictions without digging much deeper than that. I take more stock in a grain of salt than I do in how he thinks the Rangers are going to end up and the grain of salt says things could turn around yet. Saying the Rangers aren't playing their best hockey is like telling someone standing in the rain that they are getting wet...pretty obvious, but it doesn't mean they're doomed.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

apparently melrose saw my signature haha

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Nich

Quote:
Which means what? Are playoff spots being handed out right now? Is the observation that the Rangers have under-achieved? Great, here's a cookie, Barry. Let me know when the it's official that the Rangers have been eliminated from the playoffs, and I'll give Melrose the kudos some think he deserves for this grand observation.
jas it means that if they play the 2nd half of the season like the first they won't make the playoffs, and honestly, how can you not agree with that?

and isn't a prediction based upon the first part of the season?

really, i don't know why you are getting so heated up about something we all should know by now, and that is our team in under performing, and if they don't turn it around we will not make the playoffs

Old
01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
jas it means that if they play the 2nd half of the season like the first they won't make the playoffs, and honestly, how can you not agree with that?

and isn't a prediction based upon the first part of the season?

really, i don't know why you are getting so heated up about something we all should know by now, and that is our team in under performing, and if they don't turn it around we will not make the playoffs
zacn in the post above pretty much echoes my sentiments...Melrose is as vapid an empty suit as there is, so why even bother putting any stock in anything he has to say..."the Rangers under-achieved"...wow, there's some in-depth observations from someone who continues to show why no organization in their right mind would ever give him another coaching job in the NHL. And, you know what, statements like "if the Rangers play like they did in the first half, they won't make the playoffs" aren't really showing anything insightful either. Here, O can play, too. "if the Rangers lose all their games, they won't make the playoffs." Make me an analyst.

Old
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Pizza

Much as I dislike the cretin that is Melrose, I can't argue with the plain truth.

The Rangers continue to make the themselves the easy target for this kind of criticism....

....until they start playing like a team that is 100% together.

Too often this season they have not looked that way.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Nich

so why not get rid of any analysis jas? and jesus man, settel down, you might have a seizure!

and seriously, if you have a problem with what i said, then you really don't understand what analysts are suppose to do...

i mean they wouldn't get paid if they said

"Now we truen to Barry Melrose for a in-depth breakdown of the second half of the NHL Season. Barry."

Barry - "sorry (enter ESPn announcer name here). I can't comment on what to expect from the second half of the season, because it has yet to be played!"

Old
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I've been relatively pleased the last few outings and hopefully it continues post All-Star game, but you can't call Melrose wrong here.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've been relatively pleased the last few outings and hopefully it continues post All-Star game, but you can't call Melrose wrong here.
and thats the thing..at times it looks like we can play with anyone....but thats only 1 out of every 10 times we look!

Old
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
and thats the thing..at times it looks like we can play with anyone....
Not this season in my opinion:

- We've lost every game against the Western Conference, and pretty handily. Last year we at least beat a few very good Western teams like SJ and Anaheim

- The only time we were able to compete with Ottawa was when they were in the middle of a long losing streak

- We lost all three games to the Bruins, who we beat up all of last year (yes, I realize they are better, but still)

- We lost to the freaking Oilers!

etc, etc...

It just seems that every time we had to win a big game this season, we failed more often than not.

This season is still salvageable, but it's going to take a ton of effort on the part of everyone.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Not this season in my opinion:

- We've lost every game against the Western Conference, and pretty handily. Last year we at least beat a few very good Western teams like SJ and Anaheim

- The only time we were able to compete with Ottawa was when they were in the middle of a long losing streak

- We lost all three games to the Bruins, who we beat up all of last year (yes, I realize they are better, but still)

- We lost to the freaking Oilers!

etc, etc...

It just seems that every time we had to win a big game this season, we failed more often than not.

This season is still salvageable, but it's going to take a ton of effort on the part of everyone.

If i can just an addendum, we had to go to a shootout to beat a Thrashers team who were playing without Kovalchuck.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
If i can just an addendum, we had to go to a shootout to beat a Thrashers team who were playing without Kovalchuck.
Thank you....

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:07 PM
pld459666

Quote:
zacn in the post above pretty much echoes my sentiments...Melrose is as vapid an empty suit as there is, so why even bother putting any stock in anything he has to say..."the Rangers under-achieved"...wow, there's some in-depth observations from someone who continues to show why no organization in their right mind would ever give him another coaching job in the NHL. And, you know what, statements like "if the Rangers play like they did in the first half, they won't make the playoffs" aren't really showing anything insightful either. Here, O can play, too. "if the Rangers lose all their games, they won't make the playoffs." Make me an analyst.
I'd like to know, what have they done this yera, with THIS YEARS TEAM to make you think they have a 2nd half run in them?

This years team is nothing like last years team, and one season does not a trend make. Two years ago, we fell apart down the stretch and went from 1st in the division to 3rd in the division and 6th overall in the conference.

I would say that there's more of a negative trend than a positive one, but that's just me and my "the sky is falling" mentality.

Fact is, this team has NO CHEMISTRY, they play with no passion, seems like on to many occassions you do not see the same gameplan from line to line. The coach says we need to shoot mor eon the PP, yet they pass the puck to DEATH on the PP>

There's to many things wrong with this team for me to have any faith that they will some how manage to win 20 of their remaining 31 games.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 10:19 PM
300mph

the guy also had the rangers out of the playoffs last year until they got hot and gave the sabres a run for their money.

sooo..

300mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'd like to know, what have they done this yera, with THIS YEARS TEAM to make you think they have a 2nd half run in them?

This years team is nothing like last years team, and one season does not a trend make. Two years ago, we fell apart down the stretch and went from 1st in the division to 3rd in the division and 6th overall in the conference.

I would say that there's more of a negative trend than a positive one, but that's just me and my "the sky is falling" mentality.

Fact is, this team has NO CHEMISTRY, they play with no passion, seems like on to many occassions you do not see the same gameplan from line to line. The coach says we need to shoot mor eon the PP, yet they pass the puck to DEATH on the PP>

There's to many things wrong with this team for me to have any faith that they will some how manage to win 20 of their remaining 31 games.
There are no TRENDS from season to season. Too many variables.

This team has the talent. Now get it done.

Maybe uncle Glen promised Barry a dinner if he called the Rangers out.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 12:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

And yet, they are tied for the last playoff spot.

Old
01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
But thing is, Melrose doesnt have to give an in depth evaluation of this team. He can make a general statement and leave it at that. He's right they have played with no heart which is why they arent worthy of that true evaluation. Again he made a general statement that everyone could agree with. Sure it may be nothing new to rangers fans but he has a job with ESPN and fans of teams in the western conference might be interested in whats going on with the rangers, you know the true hockey fans that wanna know. Now those fans in the west probably dont have such a huge interest so they just want a quick answer and thats what Melrose as an anaylist provided them. No need to bash him. The team really isnt playing with any heart with the exception of gomez. If they are, they dont show it. I dont see it in Shanny, JJ, or Drury out there. I see it from no one. No one on defense either and no one should be expecting it out of Staal to step up and show it because hes just a rookie and hes done quite enough for the team as it is.

I think theyll turn this ship around in the right direction. Theyll put together a winning streak and in a playoff spot and then sather will make a move.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote