Notices

Idea for an NHL rule change - Icing

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 03:28 AM
Ch 4 Action News

vCash: 500
Idea for an NHL rule change - Icing

Okay, I just thought of this, I don't know if anyone else has but here it goes.

When a team ices the puck from the defensive zone on purpose the opposing team is awarded the puck and this is how. The teams line up just as if it were a faceoff but instead the puck is dropped to one of the defenseman, the one closest to the boards, and that player can't shoot the puck but must pass it off before it can be shot.

I know this might need some tweaking, but I think the jist of it is intriguing to at least me.

Any opinions for or against?

Old
01-27-2004, 03:34 AM
neelynugs

against
sounds like nok-hockey

Old
01-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Creative

I like that idea, but how about this: the team that ices the puck cannot change personnel for the faceoff, unless there is an injury.

BTW, I think there also should be injury time: if you fall down and go boom and they stop the play for you and a trainer comes to your aid, you cannot go back out for five minutes. That will limit faked injuries.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Adam West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Loring

When a team ices the puck from the defensive zone on purpose the opposing team is awarded the puck and this is how. The teams line up just as if it were a faceoff but instead the puck is dropped to one of the defenseman, the one closest to the boards, and that player can't shoot the puck but must pass it off before it can be shot.

I know this might need some tweaking, but I think the jist of it is intriguing to at least me.

are you serious? if you are i am against this idea wholeheartedly. i can fathom the no touch icing but this is just ridiculous.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

While I admire your creativity, I don't think this would work... A little wonky I think. Hockey rules would start looking like cricket or something... People wouldn't understand them.

Kudos for the thought, though... It would be interesting.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Gator Mike

I like Kluzak's suggestion the other night... if a team ices the puck five times in one period, they get a two minute delay of game penalty.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:23 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
I like Kluzak's suggestion the other night... if a team ices the puck five times in one period, they get a two minute delay of game penalty.

I didn't get to see that.
That's good. I like it. It would stop teams from using the icing to hold a 1 or 2 goal lead (something that shouldn't be as hard to break as it is nowadays anyway).
It would make for a much more exciting third period.

Way to go Kluzak.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:20 AM
lawman

It goes beyond just making an icing penalty. Enforcing the current rules would be a better start. The amount of obstruction, interference, and hooking that goes uncalled is unbelievable.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Z_Everson

Send a message via AIM to Z_Everson
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:43 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I like that idea, but how about this: the team that ices the puck cannot change personnel for the faceoff, unless there is an injury.

BTW, I think there also should be injury time: if you fall down and go boom and they stop the play for you and a trainer comes to your aid, you cannot go back out for five minutes. That will limit faked injuries.
I'm on with that Wicked, but is that tough to keep track of? To me send 'em to the locker room until the next period. That would seriously dissuade anyone from taking a fall.

I like Kluzaks idea as well....would definitely open things up a bit at the end of a game!

Old
01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Make icing a judgement call by an official.

INTENTIONAL icing, ie: desperation clearing attempt etc..., unless short handed- delay of game penalty- and let the opposing team pick the player to serve the minutes.

UNINTENTIONAL- like a missed pass or similar- no infraction, and stays the same as is.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:33 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:

I've been making that same suggestion for over a year now. Is he reading this board and stealing my ideas??? :p

Old
01-27-2004, 09:35 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Loring

It sounds pretty radical. I'd like the league commissioners to focus on fixing what they messed up first by putting the blue lines and goal lines back where they were before 1980. Also automatic icing should be instituted: there's too many injuries racing to touch up.

Old
01-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Thanks for the feedback. Hey, i'm just trying to figure out how to help the game. Good idea or bad, you never know unless you throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

And as far as moving nets back, and tag up off sides, I think those are no brainers to be brought back....only problem is Bettman has proven to us that he has very little brains.

Closed Thread