HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Choosing A Position

Old
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM
tisting9

vCash: 500
Choosing A Position

I am not sure what position I should be playing. What qualities and traits are required for certain positions? Thanks!

tisting9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Danglous

There arent many to choose from, so try them all out and decide what you feel most comfortable with/what you produce most with.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Winger would be easiest IMO.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Gallick

Wingers need to be offensively talented, fast, and strong. Wingers are usually the scorers in the offensive zone, and will each cover their respective side in the defensive zone.

A centerman needs to be offensively talented but defensively minded and good passing is always an asset. Centermen set up plays in the offensive zone and is the first forward back in the defensive zone to cover the slot and high crease area.

Defensemen need to be strong, smart and see the ice very well; a defensive mistake is almost always worse for the team than an offensive mistake. They need to understand where they need to be at all times and communication with your fellow d-man is crucial. A hard shot from the point is a plus.

Goalies are crazy folk who get in the way of small, hard flying objects.

Spend at least two or three games trying everything you're interested in and your position will choose you.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 01:14 AM
DontStaal

good analysis gallick.

i'd say if you're not too keen on defensive play, then being a winger is best. Your real only defensive responsibility is to cover your point.

However, if you like to skate the puck out, and are ready to be the first offensive guy back, then yea... center's the way to go. You definitely have to be responsibile defensively and be able to communicate well with the defense.

As for defensemen, you're the last line. You don't want to screw up, and they usually have the most pressure on them. It's a fun position because you get to be physical and positionally sound, however if you're not the biggest of people or you don't have great puckhandling and abilities, it's probably not for you

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallick View Post
Wingers need to be offensively talented, fast, and strong. Wingers are usually the scorers in the offensive zone, and will each cover their respective side in the defensive zone.

A centerman needs to be offensively talented but defensively minded and good passing is always an asset. Centermen set up plays in the offensive zone and is the first forward back in the defensive zone to cover the slot and high crease area.

Defensemen need to be strong, smart and see the ice very well; a defensive mistake is almost always worse for the team than an offensive mistake. They need to understand where they need to be at all times and communication with your fellow d-man is crucial. A hard shot from the point is a plus.

Spend at least two or three games trying everything you're interested in and your position will choose you.
That's great!

At the risk of offending some forwards (I play both wing and D, BTW):

If you're at a party are you more likely to make a mess or to help clean one up? If you're usually on the cleanup crew then you were born to be a defenseman. Defense is all about reacting to what somebody else is doing. You try to control (herd) the other team's puck carrier and take away his options. You're blocking shots, you're tying up the open man near the goal and if you get the puck back you're looking to pass it to an open winger for the breakout. Good agility and being a pest are not required but they help.

If you prefer to make things happen, especially if you like to skate a lot and carry the puck you might prefer playing forward. Forwards do a lot of skating up and back. If you're a wing there are plenty of goals to be scored. There's a lot of digging along the boards for the puck, too. In your own end you cover the defensemen at the points and you often get the first pass during the breakout. Quick feet are a plus.

Center probably has the toughest job description and does the most skating. He/she plays offense and defense, takes most of the faceoffs and should be at least as good of a passer as he is a shooter. If you want to be the star quarterback and be involved in most every play then Center's for you.

The goalie is like Carl the janitor from The Breakfast club. He is "the eyes and ears of this establishment." He's always on the ice, mostly by himself, and has the best view of the play. Always alert, always on edge and he's very territorial. Also, he's got the most expensive equipment on the team.

Any of these profiles sound like you?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
tisting9

Thanks!

All the replies have been very helpful so far. To help you guys out more I will put some things about myself and please feel free to ask for more.

I want a lot of ice time, so if a certain position gets to play more than I would probably enjoy that.

I like to carry the puck. That is my favorite thing to do on the ice.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Gallick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisting9 View Post
I want a lot of ice time, so if a certain position gets to play more than I would probably enjoy that.

Defensemen usually pick up the most icetime as they usually run longer shifts than everyone else. As for carrying the puck, defensemen are always quarterbacks on the offensive rush and will usually be the ones making the first pass out of their own zone, but they don't really ever carry the puck into the offensive zone.

Sounds to me like a centerman or a winger would be the best choice.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:05 AM
OilerNut*

Centre is too much work!

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 01:27 AM
supaman

Quote:

Height, weight? (if you don't mind my asking) How good of a skater are you? Are you a fast skater? Defence gets you alot of ice time. Also if you're really good on your feet, you could be a puck carrying d-man. Center gets you some decent time as well as well as time with the puck.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
donelikedinner

another aspect to consider is your temperment.

if you're physically aggressive and like lots of contact, defense is great for hitting, scrums in the corners and clearing out the crease (i play D so i can't speak for the forward positions) but make sure you can skate equally good forward and backwards, as roughly 70% of the time d-men skate backwards during a game.

the best way to find a position is, as was previously suggested, try each position for a while then make your decision. locking yourself into a role you really don't enjoy won't make the game fun for you and thats the most important aspect, its a game and its played for fun.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 09:05 AM
tisting9

To answer some questions

I am about 5'11" and 150 lbs, personally I would say skating is my best attribute, then stickhandling. I really like to rush the puck and get shots on goal.

Old
01-27-2008, 10:42 AM
EmptyNetter

Sounds like you'd be happiest as a winger. You might not get a lot of ice time since there's more competition for guys wanting to play wing, but that's the tradeoff. Will you eventually play in a league or is this just pickup games? If you've got a coach or team captain who divides up ice time you can earn more time by playing well -- penalty kills, powerplays and end of game situations sometimes have specific go-to guys.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
tisting9

What level I play

I play Midget Minor AAA U16 hockey.

Old
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Ulic

Quote:
I am about 5'11" and 150 lbs, personally I would say skating is my best attribute, then stickhandling. I really like to rush the puck and get shots on goal.
Overall it seems like both your physical attributes and playing style would predispose you to get the most out of your skills by playing forward. I'd suggest playing winger, either right or left depending on how you hold you stick and which side you prefer. If you find that you enjoy more defensive responsibility and are great at skating hard back into your zone you could move to center later.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
OilerNut*

I find that usually playing on teams, the captain/coach decides what position your best at and plays you there. At least that's been my expierence.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
I play every position and but I describe myself exactly like you do and I find my best position to be defense. If you are indeed a strong skater, those skills are definitely needed on the blueline, and any offense like you might have are definitely a plus in moving the transition game to the other end. And you do get lots of shots if you play your spot on the point.

Quote:
I find that usually playing on teams, the captain/coach decides what position your best at and plays you there. At least that's been my expierence.
But that is true too...my team isn't made up of the best skaters so I find myself on the blueline a lot. Nothing worse than having a poor skater get burned by an opposing forward...And don't let the offensive part of your game discourage you. If you really are cut out for the blueline, whoever is running will find you a good partner to cover your @$$

P.S. Don't get caught up in ice time, hockey is a team game. And you'll earn the time if you do things right. You'll be surprised at how well a team plays once they get over the 'me' aspect. Took my beer league team like two sessions to figure that out...and once we did playoffs were in our destiny

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
goalie is the way to go

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
goalie is the way to go
Sure is, just be very sure its what you want to do before blowing 2 g's on equipment. Flexibility and borderline insanity are good qualities too

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Sounds like goalie would be your best bet. Plus they get a decent amount of ice time.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Flexibility and borderline insanity are good qualities too
Borderline insanity being the key. I love to see how everyone views the goalies, always with respect, but they seem to keep their distance.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
sharkticon

If you want to actually LEARN the game, play D, if you just want to play, play Wing.

Me, i play them all, but on my team I play mostly D.

D is where you will learn how to read plays and actually communicate with your goalie (who will offer tidbits of info).

From what i have noticed, all D can play wing, but a lot of wings can't play D.

Goalies are crazy, but i play that too (just started actually), it's the hardest position out there, but also the most unique.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
I play Midget Minor AAA U16 hockey.
I'm confused, how do you play AAA hockey and not know what position you want to play?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
tisting9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I'm confused, how do you play AAA hockey and not know what position you want to play?
I was worried about someone asking this But I knew someone would because it is a great question. Over my career I've played every position at one time or another, but most of the time its been center. This season I've split time between wing and center, and I still do not know which one I am better at or like more. I also have an interest in defense because they get to play every third shift while forwards play every fourth shift.

P.S. I am definitely not playing goalie!

Old
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallick View Post

hey!
im not that crazy.

play winger or center, defense your the last line of defense besides the goalie, you have to know when to pinch when to stay outta the zone, you ahve to have good hockey sense.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote