HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's step back a minute

Old
01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
lstcyr

vCash: 500
Let's step back a minute

...and appreciate what's happened here. We're sitting a point out of a playoff spot and six points out of fourth in the conference behind Dallas who has played three more games than us.

I wouldn't have bet on that based upon our early performance. Will the second half be tough? Sure. Will we make the playoffs? Maybe.

I still have to applaud the team for getting where they are.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
considering the team no longer has players like Karyia, Vokoun and whatnot, Poile did a damn good job with keeping the kids and locking certain guys out- I don't know the whole story, just a simple B's fan, here.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

True. We are in a decent position. One can only wonder what this season could have been with a healthy Steve Sullivan....would we be in fourth? Third? Would it have mattered?

01-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
considering the team no longer has players like Karyia, Vokoun and whatnot, Poile did a damn good job with keeping the kids and locking certain guys out- I don't know the whole story, just a simple B's fan, here.
Kariya and Vokoun, the whatnots you speak of equalling Hartnell and Timonen.

We would be in a good place with Vokoun and any one of the other three, probably Hartnell or Kariya given our current winger situation.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Anyone else notice the Predators are 8th in the league in Goals scored so far.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
PeterAngelo

I am honest enough to admit i didn't see the preds being this well placed at the all star break, has been great to watch this team of late!

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:37 PM
dulzhok

Yes, it will be an interesting ride. I think most everything is dependant on Mason and Ellis. If they can play good (not asking for great), I think we stand a decent chance.

Trotz deserves a pretty good amount of credit. We lost 4 of our best players, have had well below average goaltending, lost our best player for the year, have had other injuries to key players, and have one of the youngest teams in league. Yet, we are sitting 1 point out of the playoffs.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yes, it will be an interesting ride. I think most everything is dependant on Mason and Ellis. If they can play good (not asking for great), I think we stand a decent chance.

Trotz deserves a pretty good amount of credit. We lost 4 of our best players, have had well below average goaltending, lost our best player for the year, have had other injuries to key players, and have one of the youngest teams in league. Yet, we are sitting 1 point out of the playoffs.

Quite a coaching job by the man who many felt (myself included) that he should have been shown the door after last year's playoffs. Honestly, it seems like Trotz has more success without a lot of high-talent players. I don't know if the current lineup fits better with his system and style of coaching, but Trotz consistently seems to underachieve with the Preds more talented lineups and consistently overachieves when we're fielding 3 lines of medium-skilled NHLers and a handful of callups.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:19 AM
darth5
No!

While I agree that Trotz has done very well given the circumstances, your last statement calls into question the length of Trotz's usefulness for our club. If we are going to remain a bootstrap budget team, he is our guy as he will get the most from a borderline roster. If our talent is growing exponentially and we want to upgrade our roster, he is not the best guy to be behind the bench.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 02:59 PM
nfld77

I applaud Trotz and his troops for putting this team in a playoff run regardless of big injuries and all the off season distractions.
This season for the Bruins and Preds are so similar.. They both have 55 points and have sustained injuries and distractions.. We lost our supposedly #1 netminder in Fernandez, our best overall player in Bergeron, our top sniper in Murray and Axelson, our best penalty killer, along with injuries to our D..For the first time in a long time, kids from the minors are truely contributing..Sames goes for your Preds..
I'm a Bruin fan and come in peace with respect for the opposition. Good luck for the rest of the season..Hope you make the postseason, but lose tonight..Should be a terrific game tonight..Pred's are a fast and very balanced team..
Take care folks..

nfld77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
dulzhok

I think Trotz' 0-3 record in the playoffs is not as bad as people make it out to be....

2004: We barely speaked into the playoffs, and we're predicted to swept by just about everyone out there. We were actually very competitive vs the RWs.

2006: Lost our number 1 goalie prior to the playoffs. Had to face the hottest team in the NHL. I would've liked a better fight, but let's be realistic, we were predicted to lose by just about everyone.

2007: First year that we were given a chance to win a playoff round by some of the "experts". Still, it's not like it was a 1 vs 8 seed. It was a 4 vs 5 matchup, and the sharks again came into the post-season red hot. Meanwhile, we backed into the playoffs. Yes, we got Forseberg, but we also lost our best forward in Sullivan. The loss of Sullivan screwed up the good chemstry of Arnott-Sully-Dumont. Forsberg and Radu hit it off, but the loss of Erat screwed up the E-L-K line. Vokoun wasn't playing his best (hard to Trotz for this). It was a disspointment, but I feel we would've lost this series regardless of who are coach was.

------------

There are no available coaches that I would consider replacing Trotz with. I did want us to go for after Babcock when he was available, but for now, I feel that Trotz is our best availabe option.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote