HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME TAKES: Habs blank Caps! - Mtl: 4 Was: 0

Old
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Why are people on Latendresse's back?

If he's positioned well enough to get all these scoring chances, then obviously he can keep up. He needs to score them, but the chances are there and I think there's some good chemistry developping between him and Kostitsyn the younger.

I think these two are going to be really good together when they're both, oh, 23 or so.
Hummmm you just made me realise that if we all got off his back he might skate faster.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
prairie hab

Solid effort by the Habs tonight - the layoff seemed to have no ill effects on them.

Gorges was my first star tonight. This kid continues to improve and it is evident that Carbo trusts him more and more in key situations. The Pleks line solid as always, and Kovalev is mesmerizing out there.

Carbo will only change the lineup if/when the Habs lose or if someone gets injured (lets hope Kovy's thumb is not broken!).

However, just to be a bit critical - Latendresse and Ryder need pressbox time. Ryder is a defensive liability and has seemed to lose his quick shot release. Latendresse is invisible out there. He isn't hitting anymore and is so slow of foot. The 2 on 1 with Lapierre near the end of the game was brutal. Lats managed to skate into defensive coverage the entire time giving Lapierre a shoot only option. I've never liked Lats' hockey sense (or lack of it).

Dandeneault will be hungry to get back in. Kost Jr. should be up with Koivu again.

If Gainey does make a move, it needs to be someone who plays with Koivu and Higgins:
(Dumont, Tanguay, etc.)

Our overall faceoff performance also has to improve.

BUT I LIKE THE COMPOSURE THIS TEAM HAS SHOWN OF LATE. And Huet has made me eat my words as of late.........keep it up Cristo.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
couz

GL has been doing well.

He's a big guy who does what he's supposed to do.

The speed thing is a bad argument to shaft him...his game is going in traffic, corners, hitting and battling, putting pucks in around the net...its not rushing the puck or scoring on rushes.

Therefore speed is not that essential to his game...he's getting chances and that's what counts, eventually they'll go in like they were a month ago.

He's doing well....Ryder isn't.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
lol yeah, everything was going so right for us huet was even handling the puck decently

However, i dont think ive ever seen Ovechkin play that bad, and he still looked pretty good lol, figure that one out

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Bermy

this is kind of off topic, but I'm so glad Briere didn't sign with us, our team looks awesome without him

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
But no opinions! It's difficult to argue with mods...they always wins...

oh...and....
Delete * from HabsForum where Thread = "GAME TAKES: Habs blank Caps - Mtl: 4 Was: 0" and Post like "%cup%".
heh , stupid SQL

good use of the like "%cup%" though

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:50 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
this is kind of off topic, but I'm so glad Briere didn't sign with us, our team looks awesome without him
Agreed. We might never have seen the Plekanec line.

Old
01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Why are people on Latendresse's back?

If he's positioned well enough to get all these scoring chances, then obviously he can keep up. He needs to score them, but the chances are there and I think there's some good chemistry developping between him and Kostitsyn the younger.

I think these two are going to be really good together when they're both, oh, 23 or so.
No doubt. I don't see Higgins or Ryder missing all these golden chances, despite playing with a better centre.

Lats get's those chances due to his own skill, he has great offensive awareness and is not afraid to go to high traffic areas to make a play.

People need to stop complaining about Lat's speed, and realize that he consistently generates offensive chances, which is what he's supposed to do.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Ross MacLochness

Maybe it was the headache I have, but I didn't see the masterful game from Kovalev that everyone else saw, except for maybe 2 or 3 shifts. When he has the puck he still seems to attempt the most difficult play he can make.

But don't get me wrong his effort, commitment and drive was amazing tonight.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Shred

I was at the game tonight, so I guess I'm entitled to an opinion here.

Kovalev: AMAZING! I was ready do give him the first star even before he got his goal at the end.
Huet: Solid, sometimes spectacular, didn't see most of his saves (I was on the 4 goals' side) but I hope he keeps playing like this!
S.Kost: Better and better!
Gorges: Getting really solid, hope we keep being patient with him.

Ryder: as average as he was, he created decent chances for himself, only his shot release got so slow, is that only a confidence problem?
Higgins: playing horrible and killing his line, his line was the only line that spent most of the time in our zone from what I noticed. I'd put S.Kost back on the first line and try Higgins with Lats and Laps. Maybe he can finish Lats' botched plays and get back the will to go in the corners.

Anyway I don't want to criticize too much, the game was awesome, I didn't comment on a lot of the players but they all played well and it's been covered already!

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
People need to stop complaining about Lat's speed, and realize that he consistently generates offensive chances, which is what he's supposed to do.
Seriously. 4 shots, 2 hits on 10:53 of ice time. I realize people want to see points from him, but he's not doing badly at all.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
brownman*

Only one observation: Plekanec is the fastest player of all-time.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Bure/Lombardi/Gaborik.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:17 PM
MathMan

By the way -- Josh Gorges and Francis Bouillon were excellent, and have been an excellent defensive pairing for a while. I'm not worried overmuch when the third pairing is out.

I wonder if Ryan O'Byrne is going to have a spot. Mind you, he could recondition himself in Hamilton.

Josh Gorges is a young D-man that has been very solid lately. I wonder if having models such as Markov and Hamrlik to use (which he empathically did not have in San Jose) helped. In any case, he may become a very valuable D-man yet.

Generally, I like how the Habs use their defense's mobility to assist in the attack. I've noticed a lot of safe pinching, and the D-men are confident a forward will cover their back. Just awesome play as 5-man units, and I think that's a major factor in the Habs' recent two-way excellence. Take a bow, Mr. Carbonneau.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Plekanec is a first-line center.

Not a great one, yet, but he is.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I hope Kovy's thumb is allright. In the post-game interview he said he didn't know if it was broken or not. Typical time out for a broken thumb is 4 to 6 weeks. What reassures me is that he was able to finish the game so well.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Huet seems to be handling the puck much better also...one thing I noticed tonight.

Been practicing I guess.
its a reflection of his confidence level more than anything else.

These are the same types of long bomb passes that cristo was making when he was playing out of his mind back in 05/06

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
znk

How does Dandenault make it back in the lineup?

Old
01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
How does Dandenault make it back in the lineup?
Injuries -- so hopefully he doesn't.

As reserve players go though, he's hardly terrible.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
I think Alfredsson got injured during Ottawa's game. I've heard he was not back for the 3rd period. It's our CHANCE to get ahead of them!

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
couz

Basically, to sum up the GL debate.

With the kind of game he plays speed isn't crucial, its not like Kosti or Pleks who score off rushes.

GL scores around the net and you need size and hands to do that, he has those things.

GL needing speed is like saying Komisarek needs to be more offensive....it would be nice but those aspects aren't what are gonna make these guys successful because its not their styles.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Lats is fine on the 3rd line, he had his chances tonight, the guy is 20, give him 3-4 years and he'll be a 30 goal guy who consistently brings it physically.

Ryder, I think the guy needs a change, unfortunately the minute he goes somewhere, he'll score a few and get his confidence back. It would be nice to add a veteran guy in his spot and leave the other 3 lines intact...but at what price?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Basically, to sum up the GL debate.

With the kind of game he plays speed isn't crucial, its not like Kosti or Pleks who score off rushes.

GL scores around the net and you need size and hands to do that, he has those things.

GL needing speed is like saying Komisarek needs to be more offensive....it would be nice but those aspects aren't what are gonna make these guys successful because its not their styles.
not a bad analogy at all.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Agreed. We might never have seen the Plekanec line.
Might is the keyword here.

We might have seen better too.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Might is the keyword here.

We might have seen better too.

One thing nobody mentionned is that having Briere as an 8 mil cap hit means we don't get Hamrlik and affects the long term need to get Komi Streit Huet Higgins Plek A.Kots signed long term. Philly has a nice team this year but they'll be hard pressed to keep everybody once Richards contract kicks in PLUS they still have holes on defense and average goaltending. Lots of money tied up in 5 players(Gagne Briere Richards Hartnell Timmonen).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote