HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME TAKES: Habs blank Caps! - Mtl: 4 Was: 0

Old
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 500
The Habs did a good job scoring on the PP, they really exploited Washinton weak defensive game. But the big story tonight was Huet and his amazing game.He's getting back to where he was last year and the crowd noticed as well, i don't think ive heard that many Huet chants in a single game this year.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
couz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
not a bad analogy at all.
Thank You

I've just heard the GL lack of speed argument so many times...

I never understood why a guy who's job is to battle in corners, score close in, hit, and use his size to protect the puck needs speed so badly.

His game requires him to use his size and hands to score, and last time I checked most of his goals have been scored that way.

In time he'll just be scoring more goals that way when he's surrounded by more offensive minded players who get pucks to the net.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
this is kind of off topic, but I'm so glad Briere didn't sign with us, our team looks awesome without him
Would he have enjoyed playing on a line with Ryder, which is what he was supposed to have asked for?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I watched the game on Canadiens Express when I got off work. Good team. Another 2 points. I like the way they ratchet up the offense in the 3rd period nowadays. This team is clearly getting better and better as the year rolls along.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
How does Dandenault make it back in the lineup?
next loss...

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:15 AM
JJ68*

Came back from the game.. what a great experience!

Best players tonight for the habs.

Plekanec: He is really quick and it seems like he takes off very fast whenever he smells a good rush.

Kovalev: He was amazing..all over the ice. Loved his puck control and he even stopped Ovechkin a couple of times defensively. He gave us fans something we had been waiting for for what seemed like forever. A goal!! And its occasions like this when you get to watch him live that you notice how great a skater he really is. He has smooth long strides so it doesnt look like he's really skating fast like a Lapierre but boy is he quick.

Georges: Very good game for him guys..he stopped Ovechkin a couple of times. Really impressed.

Huet: Shutout again..nuff said! HUET HUET HUET!!!

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Habs are 4-1-1 at the Bell in 2008. So far so good.
Another stat:

The Habs are 15-3-3 with Patrice Brisebois out of the lineup.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Well he's getting pushed down the depth chart something fierce by Gorges right now, but I think the record has more to do with Brisebois playing a lot early when the Habs were still gelling and improving, and practically not at all now that they're on a good stretch.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:31 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
One thing nobody mentionned is that having Briere as an 8 mil cap hit means we don't get Hamrlik
Boivin said they had targetted Briere and a top D-man and were willing to go over the cap to do it.

They could have left Price in Hamilton early and cut Dandenault loose to get most of the needed cap space.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
this is the only thing we need to improve. The rest is really good!
Well, in the short run, here is the question:

Are the Habs better off replacing Ryder with Dandenault? Siarhei could move to the 2nd line, and Dandy play with Laps and Lats.

Alternatively, Bob Gainey gives Matt D'Agostini c shot to replace Michael, again on the Laps-Lats line.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
next loss...
but isn't this the last year on his contract?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:43 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Huet seems to be handling the puck much better also...one thing I noticed tonight.

Been practicing I guess.
It helps if he actually MOVES the puck to a teammate, and doesn't just stand there immobile, out of his net and hoping to throw a body-block on the onrushing forechecker.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:49 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
but isn't this the last year on his contract?

No, Dandy is signed for next year too, at 1.725M cap hit.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
Huet is in his element tonight. Kovalev is great. Pleks with 2 points. Komisarek had several block shots. Josh Gorges played another quiet, unspectacular, yet solid game. He has improved greatly and he's only 23 year-old, very good 5-6 defencemean.
I disagree - I thought Gorges played a whale of a game !
He was blocking shots, making great passes, fighting for the puck in the corners.

Washington's coach kept trying to put Ovechkin out against Gorges and he really rose to the occasion.

I'm really starting to like this kid !

It just amazes me how much better our D is this year.
They all have skating speed, great first outlet passes and good positioning.
Way to go Gainey !

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:08 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Bure/Lombardi/Gaborik.
Gartner was faster than them...and Plekanec is faster than all of them

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Habs8517

what a game by the habs
huge kill on the 5 on 3
kovy is godly

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Another stat:

So mathematically, next year we can go 60-12-12 without him, if the NHL approves the 84 game schedule proposal.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well he's getting pushed down the depth chart something fierce by Gorges right now, but I think the record has more to do with Brisebois playing a lot early when the Habs were still gelling and improving, and practically not at all now that they're on a good stretch.
Nope. Brisebois plays horrible. No need to protect him.
He should be happy he was able to sneak another 700K before retiring.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:07 AM
NewHabsEra*

Probably the best game of the year.. The Caps gave us a pretty good opposition, we just were that good, that dominant.. It was a beauty of a game to watch.. Outside Ryder and maybe Latendresse, everyone was ultra hot and played a great game... Tender definitively has to be quicker on the puck but he is only 20, he is a tall guy and big guys usually takes longer to develop and adjust to the NHL speed, there are several examples.. Thorton, Bertuzzi, Komisarek to name few.. In Ryder's case, there is no excuse, the guy just quite struggle to be a hockey player... He is possibly the worst 30 goals scorer ever.. Will be the last filler of the bunch that played here over the last 15 year when the season end.. Finally, this team will be fully filled with real hockey talents and quality grinders

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-30-2008 at 03:21 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Stop with the cups!
Agreed, it's ****ing January!

Anyway...Huet's best game of the season last night. He was in complete control of everything. Even his puck handling was very good last night.

I think Ryder is finished in Montreal. The guy can't do anything and he is really hurting Koivu and Higgins (who are working their butts off out there). Bob, get rid of him and bring in a top 6 winger somehow to take his place.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Agreed, it's ****ing January!

Anyway...Huet's best game of the season last night. He was in complete control of everything. Even his puck handling was very good last night.

I think Ryder is finished in Montreal. The guy can't do anything and he is really hurting Koivu and Higgins (who are working their butts off out there). Bob, get rid of him and bring in a top 6 winger somehow to take his place.
Sadly, I think Ryder's working hard too, just not working well. He doesn't seem to have any sense of where to go without the puck, just seems lost. He's working and chipping in a point or two, but watching last night, I had the feeling that his position is the one on the team that could be improved on right now.

Maybe there's a better situation for him out there, but you can't score if you can't get open.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
No, Dandy is signed for next year too, at 1.725M cap hit.
so basically we will be next year`s Pats, except in the nhl. Undefeated. I like that. 98-0. Hell they could make the season 84 games just so we can go a perfect 100-0 in our 100th anniversary.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Sadly, I think Ryder's working hard too, just not working well. He doesn't seem to have any sense of where to go without the puck, just seems lost. He's working and chipping in a point or two, but watching last night, I had the feeling that his position is the one on the team that could be improved on right now.

Maybe there's a better situation for him out there, but you can't score if you can't get open.
I think one of Ryder's biggest weaknesses is that he's just not very good with the puck in tight spaces.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think one of Ryder's biggest weaknesses is that he's just not very good with the puck in tight spaces.
I think Ryder's biggest weakness is positionning himself without the puck. Saku should be doing most of the puck carrying, Higgins should do the work in the corners and around the net, Ryder's got to learn to lay in the weeds, come in late, be the triggerman.

Furthermore, when he does get the puck he's always trying to do too much. It's tough with Ryder because you can clearly see he's working out there trying to find his game but he's going about it the wrong way. I'd like to see Gainey upgrade on Ryder but that's going to be hard to do without messing with the chemistry of the team

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think Ryder's biggest weakness is positionning himself without the puck. Saku should be doing most of the puck carrying, Higgins should do the work in the corners and around the net, Ryder's got to learn to lay in the weeds, come in late, be the triggerman.

Furthermore, when he does get the puck he's always trying to do too much. It's tough with Ryder because you can clearly see he's working out there trying to find his game but he's going about it the wrong way. I'd like to see Gainey upgrade on Ryder but that's going to be hard to do without messing with the chemistry of the team
Pretty well what I think. Ryder and Dandy are probably the only roster players that would have little effect on the team if they left. Any deal would include young players not on the big team and I'm not certain they want to do that.

I read the trade board and see all the Leaf related clearing house ideas and I'm curious about the market. It seems that not many teams are purely sellers,but how many are clearly buyers ?

Who wants to be this year's Atlanta ? How many teams see the need for 1 player being worth a valued asset[s]. ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote