HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Enough about Chris Drury...

Old
01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
So? More than most.
Shanny won 3 with a very Euro-heavy Wings team.
jagr, shanny, gomez, drury, malik, avery......

and u cant count players like hollweg, orr, prucha, dawes, dubi, staal, tyutin, and girardi because they are all very young

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
FLYLine24*

What I said in the GDT:

The thing about Drury i've noticed watching him this season is, the man for the life of him cannot CREATE anything on his own. He is an average passer, average vision, average stick handler, average speed. The only two above average attributes he has is, getting open...way above average, and finishing.

I'm talking strictly offense BTW. Defensively he is way above average for a forward.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:27 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
What I said in the GDT:

The thing about Drury i've noticed watching him this season is, the man for the life of him cannot CREATE anything on his own. He is an average passer, average vision, average stick handler, average speed. The only two above average attributes he has is, getting open...way above average, and finishing.

I'm talking strictly offense BTW. Defensively he is way above average for a forward.
Thats always been the case. And thats why you need someone like Jagr next to him instead of Snipers or wannabe snipers.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Drury hitting the post last night just about sums up his entire season.
He's right there, just can't put it together

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
well, unfortunately, like it or not, the NHL is becoming a north-american style game
Fine, but it is also reasonable to point out the stupidity of the Euro comment. It makes a person seem childish or just dumb.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
What I said in the GDT:

That has always been Drury... It was clear that this thing wasn't going to work properly because the team is full of guys who are more finishers than guys who can create.

The only guys who can really create are Gomez, Jagr, and sometimes Straka.

Shanahan, Drury, Prucha, Avery, Callahan, and just about everyone else are guys more geared towards finishing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
well, unfortunately, like it or not, the NHL is becoming a north-american style game
tell the Redwings that.... or the Senators, or the Sharks.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Nonsense? It's an obvious fact Euros tend to play a less physical game. Less shots, more puck handling, less hitting is the European style of play (Think, NYLANDER), it has nothing to do with bigotry. Euros like to set up the "Perfect play," rather than the NA "Get the puck on net, then crash the net, hit everyone" style of play. You look very ignorant talking about something you don't know very much about.
You are correct that Euros like to set up the perfect play. However usually they are more skilled in passing, stickhandling, and shooting. Most pure snipers are Euros and many great passing types are Euros. This is why they can set up the perfect play.

Look at how the Red Wings move the puck. You can hit them all you want but chances are they passed the puck to a wide open player before you can touch them enabling them to make a perfect play.

I actually prefer to watch the Euro's and their great passing and shooting rather than a game grinded out around the boards and goals being scored only on rebounds. It allows for more flow and a faster game w/ more scoring chances.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Fine, but it is also reasonable to point out the stupidity of the Euro comment. It makes a person seem childish or just dumb.
disagree

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Fletch

Fly...

totally agree on Drury. I actually thought he was one of those players who makes his linemates better. Him playing with Prucha and Cally showed me that he needs guys to carry a lot of the load. I do think he's logging on way too many minutes though and thought he began the season nicely.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I just don't agree with everyone getting on Drury. Wanna know why?

Watch the highlights of Drury from last year...

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...eason=20062007

Notice anything in particular? Drury got most of his goals 1 of 2 ways. On second chance opportunities when his team got the puck to the net with traffic in front, or one timers from the left wing circles.

Ask yourself, do the Rangers make these kinds of plays? Do they set him up for plays like these? Do they get traffic in front of the net, then direct pucks to the net giving him the chance to get those kinds of goals? Do they set up 1 timers for him in the circle? Do they play to his strengths? No, we cycle the puck, and try to set up the pretty goals with 3 passes and a tip in. Thats what we try, we don't play to his strengths, and yet were surprised when he is entirely ineffective.

During my midseason reportcard i said the Tom Renney needs to design some plays that take advantage of Drurys lethal one timer...I have yet to see a play like that be set up. Drury still parks his ass in front of the net, but if pucks don't get there, does it shock you that he cant get those 2nd and 3rd chance goals?

The fact that he even has 12 goals at this point amazes me, because this team is not playing a game conducive to his style of play.
The real question should be: does he have the skilled, fast, creative players on his line that he needs?

The answer is no.

He has a slow 40 year old who lives on his shot. Actually, who lives on someone feeding the puck to him so he can get the shot off.

And a guy who would rather fight and take penalties then create goals.

Drury needs speedy creative players on his line.

He needs guys who can control the puck, make things happen, take shots, and let Drury gobble up the rebounds and get his typical Drury junk goal.

Or, he needs someone to set him up.

Fact is he doesn't have the right linemates.

Shanny and Avery are third line players at best.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
The real question should be: does he have the skilled, fast, creative players on his line that he needs?

The answer is no.

He has a slow 40 year old who lives on his shot. Actually, who lives on someone feeding the puck to him so he can get the shot off.

And a guy who would rather fight and take penalties then create goals.

Drury needs speedy creative players on his line.

He needs guys who can control the puck, make things happen, take shots, and let Drury gobble up the rebounds and get his typical Drury junk goal.

Or, he needs someone to set him up.

Fact is he doesn't have the right linemates.

Shanny and Avery are third line players at best.
Thats crap, we paid 7 mil for a guy that needs other players to be good? Drury has been the biggest disapointment for me this season and I said it at the start, we shouldn't sign BOTH. Sign one and keep Nylander. Noooo we had to go back to the old ways and try to buy a shot at the cup when we were doing the exact oposite for 3 years and found success.

I am not blaming the season on Drury, but he is a huge factor why this team is having problems scoring. He is a major reason why almost everyone who has played on a line with him has struggled this season. Some guys just don't fit on some teams and Drury is that here in New York. Send him back to Buffalo for Spacek or Funk.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Thats crap, we paid 7 mil for a guy that needs other players to be good? Drury has been the biggest disapointment for me this season and I said it at the start, we shouldn't sign BOTH. Sign one and keep Nylander. Noooo we had to go back to the old ways and try to buy a shot at the cup when we were doing the exact oposite for 3 years and found success.

I am not blaming the season on Drury, but he is a huge factor why this team is having problems scoring. He is a major reason why almost everyone who has played on a line with him has struggled this season. Some guys just don't fit on some teams and Drury is that here in New York. Send him back to Buffalo for Spacek or Funk.
I have some real problems with this first paragraph. Yes the Rangers did pay $7m for a guy that needs others, but that's not his fault. If someone offers you that kind of $$ you take it. If anything the rangers are at fault for not knowing what they'd need to make Druy and that $$ succeed.

As for Nylander, how is this still an issue? he wanted a multi year deal that the Rangers quite rightly didn't want to give him. He wouldn't have been injured in the same way he is now if he was with the rangers but I believe he would have been before his contract expired.

In terms of the "last 3 years" comment. How are they doing the opposite? Year 1 they are picked to finish last with a bunch of kids and placeholders. Due to the incredible play of jagr and the emergance of Lundy they look playoff bound and Sather trades of youth and picks for playoff vets (Ozy and Sykora), no different to the pre lockout days. Year 2, they keep most of the placeholders and try to improve on there post season performance by signing a big name free agent (Shanny) as well as two cup vets instead of giving that ice-time to a promising youth (Prucha, Immo). they also trade youth and prospects again for hopeful playoff help (Avery)
Year 3, two more free agents are signed and all the place holders are brought back again. My gut also tells me that we will see youth for vets at the deadline.

So there is no difference, as soon as they looked like making the playoffs after the lockout, most of the rebuild went out the window.

To round this all off (hopefully it makes some sense), yes Drury is overpaid (so is Gomez but not by as much) but the only thing we should be expecting from Drury that we aren't getting is some of those shots going in the net instead of hitting the post. He's not a playmaker, never really has been and if teh rangers want that $7m to work they DO need to get him the right players. (Shanny for Tanguay would be a great start!)

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:18 PM
polako

You're right Inferno, don't blame Drury. Blame Sather. Blame Sather for grossly overpaying a player who had a contract year that blew away his average career output.

NYR paid superstar $ for an above average player.

Bobby Holik v2.0. Yay.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yes, im down on him too... and he hasnt had a good year - hes been invisible at times.

But take a look at what Inferno wrote. It has some validity to it. The way this Rangers team is constructed, the personnel and the way the offense attacks the net (or lack of) plays into the lack of production from him.

One of the biggest things i agree with him about, is that Drury hasnt had enough one time opportunities. He hasnt been set up at all really. You look at his goals last year and it seems like a different player and its not just because hes in a "slump" or hasnt "adapted" to playhing in New York. Its more than that.

I think once the Rangers rid themselves of the vets (i'll call them the "pigeon hole-rs" because they affect the teams style of play greatly, negatively and positively) Shanahan, Jagr, Straka - This will become Gomez and Drury's team and i think when it comes to that and IF Sather does a good job complimenting those two players, things should look up, way up for Drury.

Dont forget, (im not comparing the two!) - Messier was BOOED at the end of his first year as a Ranger. Sometimes it takes a few seasons to get the right supporting cast. I think Drury will be a Ranger for a long time.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just wanted to say one thing. imho drury did NOTHING different tonight that he hasnt done every other game, except his shot actually went in, and for once his teammates made one of his bazillion hard working, and unheralded little plays actually stand out by netting a goal.

Nothing different guys, except the results.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
just wanted to say one thing. imho drury did NOTHING different tonight that he hasnt done every other game, except his shot actually went in, and for once his teammates made one of his bazillion hard working, and unheralded little plays actually stand out by netting a goal.

agreed, he played very well defensivley as he always does, blocked shots, played very well on the pk, played well on the pp, forechekced, finished his hits, won faceoffs, made good passes, got good shots and made dawes and prucha have a good nite....overall, what he has been doing all year

Old
01-31-2008, 11:28 PM
dank

Quote:

he always puts the effort in..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Frankly, I think it's quite ridiculous that he's getting flak at all. Granted, he's a bit high-priced, but if you want to see immediate results of the Drury signing, look no further than Dubinsky and Dawes, and even Staal and Girardi to a certain extent.

He gets the guys to play hard, especially the young ones. Now, you can't teach effort, nor can you tell vets like Jagr and Hossa and Straka, etc., to play harder. But you CAN show youngsters what it's like to work hard and EARN your dues as an NHLer, and I think he's doing that with Dubi and Dawes, Staal and Girardi, etc.

Guys in Buffalo last year, specifically the young ones, would always say that Drury would get on them in the lockerroom if they weren't trying hard. They used to fear coming into the lockerroom after not playing effort-full hockey, because Drury ALWAYS does, and he'll let you know when you don't. I think he's doing his job and will only get more and more appreciated by the fans with time.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

So if he always is putting the effort in (which I agree with),

and the Ranger fans trademark quote is "Put in effort in every shift, you'll get respect"...

How come I'm still hearing **** about Chris Drury on these boards?

I expect it from non-Ranger fans, but from Ranger fans, get real now..

This was even before this game so don't even attempt that argument.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Forever Blue

I know I'm biased because Drury (along with Shanahan) was my favorite non-Ranger for years, but I'm not upset with him at all. He's been all heart, all effort, and has been solid defensively and killing penalties from day one. Obviously I wish his offensive production was up, but I think the lack of it is for a number of reasons; one being bad luck, another being constant line changes.

But one that I believe is true is that he just hasn't been able to get comfortable yet. I think he's one of the best "silent leaders" in the NHL, but he's unsure of his role on this team with Jagr, Shanahan, and even Straka "ahead" of him on that list. He's coming from a place where he was a co-Captain to a place where he's just supposed to be one of the guys.

Next year, when Shanahan, Straka, probably Jagr are gone, Gomez and Drury can really take over as the leaders of this organization (possibly co-captains). That will help Drury a lot, I believe.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Frankly, I think it's quite ridiculous that he's getting flak at all. Granted, he's a bit high-priced, but if you want to see immediate results of the Drury signing, look no further than Dubinsky and Dawes, and even Staal and Girardi to a certain extent.

He gets the guys to play hard, especially the young ones. Now, you can't teach effort, nor can you tell vets like Jagr and Hossa and Straka, etc., to play harder. But you CAN show youngsters what it's like to work hard and EARN your dues as an NHLer, and I think he's doing that with Dubi and Dawes, Staal and Girardi, etc.

Guys in Buffalo last year, specifically the young ones, would always say that Drury would get on them in the lockerroom if they weren't trying hard. They used to fear coming into the lockerroom after not playing effort-full hockey, because Drury ALWAYS does, and he'll let you know when you don't. I think he's doing his job and will only get more and more appreciated by the fans with time.
totally agree

Old
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
dank

the criticism is definitely overblown. only people who are blinded by the money and bandwagoners think he is doing poorly

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
To me, the Drury signing has always been about the post-Shanny years. The character guy who gets his nose dirty, if not the Captain at least the voice of grit and experience. I think we've all been disappointed in his point production, but I for one haven't regretted this signing. If fully expect Chris to be this team's Graves: hard worker, leader on & off the ice, will get his points, but leaves the flash to Gomez, Dawes, Dubi, & Pru.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
To me, the Drury signing has always been about the post-Shanny years. The character guy who gets his nose dirty, if not the Captain at least the voice of grit and experience. I think we've all been disappointed in his point production, but I for one haven't regretted this signing. If fully expect Chris to be this team's Graves: hard worker, leader on & off the ice, will get his points, but leaves the flash to Gomez, Dawes, Dubi, & Pru.
agreed, never a flashy player.....has a lot of talent but isnt the type of player gomez is who skates from end to end....he will work hard and get the dirty goals which is the reason why he is so valuable.....looking around the nhl, not many players do that....especially not many players who the UFA market......young players admire him and fear his lashings but will swear by his leadership because he does everything right and everything proffessionally.....he was born to be a ranger.....his personality is perfect to be the captain of the new york rangers