HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

note to Sather: SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL

Old
01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
I think the Rangers are going to be BUYERS

1. I believe Malik will be traded and return a decent D man who although not the elite impact guy we'd ultimately wish for. Will be an upgrade to the D

2. Sather has to have another move up his sleeve. Who goes where and for what return is so hard to figure because so many teams are still in the race, there are no clear wrecks to exploit. Still Sather will make some move to shake it up.

3. Forsberg costs no assets. If he ends up declaring himself fit for the NHL ( I think he will be his harshest critic) Sather could land him with a Selanne like deal.

600k cap hit this season, no loss of assets?

If the race is so tight teams are handcuffed thinking they might make the cut, I say go for it.....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
I know the positive ones have been saying it all year, but this team is going to break out, Lundqvist is going to play better (He was fine tonight, IDK how anyone can blame him for the first 2 goals and I didnt see the 3rd), and I cant wait until we put together a little string and make the playoffs, and when that happens all you bipolar noobs wont be allowed to celebrate with us

"I knew it all along, yeaaa rangers rock"

I can see it now. The 3 OP's that have the 3 panic threads will be saying exactly that above.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

This forum has a smilie specifically made for this kind of thread. Let me find it.... ah yeah, there it is:

Code:
:clittle:
TEH SKY IZ FALL OMG

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Ace2008

had a weird dream where Lecavalier is a NYR and I read the ticker that says Straka, Mara, Tyutin, Prucha, and a pick go the other way.....

At first I was scared but then I realized that as lopsided a deal as that may sound, TB just might make the playoffs w/ 2 more 23min a game Defenders + a pair of top line capable wingers w/ speed and hustle.

of course NYR could still fit Vinny into this and next years cap while running a depth chart that would include

Hossa-------------V.Lecavalier-----------Jagr

Drury--------------Dubinsky---------------Dawes/Moore

Avery--------------Gomez-----------------Shanahan

Callahan----------Betts-------------------Dawes/G.Moore

Staal-----------------------------------------Roszival

Malik(or his replacement)-----------------Girardi

Strudwick-----------------------------------Baranka

Pock----------------------------------------Hutchinson

Lundqvist /Valiquette/Montoya

I know Feaster in TB wont move Vinny but,,,, as time and time again I look at the crazy move of Joe Thornton and his former team benefitted from the trade too.

Basically TB needs cap space and w/ both Straka and Mara being rentals
a crazy move like this(who'd ever thought Sather would get S. AVERY?)

could net some positive returns for TB since they still need depth on D and more speed/Shooting accuracy on the wings for their 2/3rd lines

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:15 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
had a weird dream where Lecavalier is a NYR and I read the ticker that says Straka, Mara, Tyutin, Prucha, and a pick go the other way.....

At first I was scared but then I realized that as lopsided a deal as that may sound, TB just might make the playoffs w/ 2 more 23min a game Defenders + a pair of top line capable wingers w/ speed and hustle.

of course NYR could still fit Vinny into this and next years cap while running a depth chart that would include

Hossa-------------V.Lecavalier-----------Jagr

Drury--------------Dubinsky---------------Dawes/Moore

Avery--------------Gomez-----------------Shanahan

Callahan----------Betts-------------------Dawes/G.Moore

Staal-----------------------------------------Roszival

Malik(or his replacement)-----------------Girardi

Strudwick-----------------------------------Baranka

Pock----------------------------------------Hutchinson

Lundqvist /Valiquette/Montoya

I know Feaster in TB wont move Vinny but,,,, as time and time again I look at the crazy move of Joe Thornton and his former team benefitted from the trade too.

Basically TB needs cap space and w/ both Straka and Mara being rentals
a crazy move like this(who'd ever thought Sather would get S. AVERY?)

could net some positive returns for TB since they still need depth on D and more speed/Shooting accuracy on the wings for their 2/3rd lines

pretty hard on our D

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
agreed, and its not like we lost to the eventual stanley cup winners.....we lost to buffalo who in turn lost to ottawa who in turn lost to anaheim lol....it was a good season, but there was much room for improvement
now that's a positive way of looking at things. Makes that loss to Buffalo last season a little less bitter

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
now that's a positive way of looking at things. Makes that loss to Buffalo last season a little less bitter
no, its not positive, but its the truth.....they were a good team, but a few bad bounces and they wer eout....although i believe they wouldve played better then buffalo against the sens with the design of the team

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
600k cap hit this season, no loss of assets?
The Selanne deal is confusing, but the cap hit is at least a mil. Also Forsberg is 34 and not eligible for performance bonuses.. however even if he demands big money, as we all know, dumping Mara and Malik frees up just enough for about any move we want to make.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
why would you want to keep jagr if you want to sell everybody
Yeah really, why not sell Jagr too? I'd rather ship him off before Straka and Shanny.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

A small winning streak would put the team right back into the top 8. The problem is that whenever they show some life they fall right back into the hole again.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
pretty hard on our D
pretty hard on Tampa. Two UFAs, Tyutin, Prucha? Give me a break. If you really want Vinny you have to start with Staal. Vinny would probably cost (in value) Staal, Dubinsky, Prucha, and a 1st. If not more. Be realistic.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
are you serious? The trade was for Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm. Wayne Primeau? wipe. Brad Stuart? UFA. Marco Strum? Still on the team but it's pretty much Thornton for Strum at the end of the day. That would be like getting Vinny for Sean Avery. Well, we don't have a real comparable player to Sturm but you get the point. So that'd be like Hossa, Mara, and Avery. That said, I think the Boston GM was a total idiot. Rangers would have offered more but I guess trading him within the Conference was worse that getting a crappy package.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
god damn what is with all these 80 to 130 post non avatar goons who just give up on the rangers one game after the all star break
LOL

WOW, you have an avatar!? That obviously means you know more about hockey, right?

If the Rangers sneak into the playoffs and get knocked out by Ottawa, then the season is a waste.

If this team is not going to be a SERIOUS contender, then you SELL and make your team better for future seasons.

It's one thing to be a fan, its an entirely different thing to be blind.

You realize with exactly 30 games remaining, they need to win at least 20 of those games to get into the playoffs? You think they will go 20-10 the rest of the way if they continue to play the way they did last night? Dream on.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And another thing.

You get into the playoffs and DONT win the Cup.

You then wasted a HUGE opportunity to get big returns from your pending UFAs, instead now not only did you flop in the post season after a tough season, but you also got NO returns and lost your UFAs for nothing. And have HUGE holes to fill in one off season.

Old
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
true enough, but then again, what exactly did this team accomplish last year? it went from the first round to the second round. a feat duplicated by 7 other teams in the NHL. not exactly something to go nuts about. its not like we made it to the ECF, or to the cup. we won 1 round against a Thrashers organization that had never, ever made the playoffs.

the reason last year was so fantastic in everyones eyes is because we went from a ~20th place team in the NHL to ~a 4th-8th place team after all was said and done. It was a great run, but there was still a wayyyyyyyys to go.

I don't understand what people's expectations of last year were. Making it to the second round of the playoffs, and giving the Sabres a run for their money was a pretty big accomplishment for that team. I find it funny how everyone wants young kids, and then is disappointed when we don't win the cup. Progress is the most important thing, and if that means advancing one round at a time then that's great.

People are so obsessed with rebuilding that it seems like that is the goal, not winning. This team has a good balance of young players and vets, and it's going to get better each year once we start seeing the fruits of the organizations work over the past few years.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Face it, this team is not a playoff team.

Get rid of Shanahan, Malik, Mara, Straka, Rozsival, Strudwick.

And I include Straka and Rozsival because they can net big returns.

At this point the ONLY vets i would keep are Jagr, Gomez, and Drury.

Drury is not having a good year because he doesn't have the speed and skill on his line like he had in Buffalo.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about all the leadership qualities of these players.

"He has leadership qualities"

All these leaders are leading eachother straight to the cellar of the Conference.

GET RID OF THEM already. We don't need 20 freaking leaders on this team.

We need some young guys who can actually play 3 periods of inspiring hockey.

young guys who are trying to establish them selves. Who play with heart, guts, determination, grit, speed, creativity, skill, and SMARTS.
Why get rid of Straka and Rozi for their potential return and not Jagr who can net the greatest return? He's currently a UFA at the end of the season too.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Why get rid of Straka and Rozi for their potential return and not Jagr who can net the greatest return? He's currently a UFA at the end of the season too.
Because if you don't trade him he will be easier to retain.

We DO need some vets who can mentor guys like Cherepanov.

Old
01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
I don't understand what people's expectations of last year were. Making it to the second round of the playoffs, and giving the Sabres a run for their money was a pretty big accomplishment for that team. I find it funny how everyone wants young kids, and then is disappointed when we don't win the cup. Progress is the most important thing, and if that means advancing one round at a time then that's great.

People are so obsessed with rebuilding that it seems like that is the goal, not winning. This team has a good balance of young players and vets, and it's going to get better each year once we start seeing the fruits of the organizations work over the past few years.
Got news for you, what happened LAST YEAR happened LAST YEAR and is not working THIS YEAR. They're not winning with the vets. They could easily get to 24-22 at this point next season with young players who will grow.

Pittsburgh, Philly, San Jose, are coincidently at the top of their Conference because a young team can't win?

The difference between Pittsburgh and the Rangers is that the Penguins have a ton of youth in big spots and have SOME vets to lead them. Where as the Rangers have a TON of veteran leadership and they can't manage to play together as a team for 3 full periods.

Old
01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Got news for you, what happened LAST YEAR happened LAST YEAR and is not working THIS YEAR. They're not winning with the vets. They could easily get to 24-22 at this point next season with young players who will grow.

Pittsburgh, Philly, San Jose, are coincidently at the top of their Conference because a young team can't win?

The difference between Pittsburgh and the Rangers is that the Penguins have a ton of youth in big spots and have SOME vets to lead them. Where as the Rangers have a TON of veteran leadership and they can't manage to play together as a team for 3 full periods.

Can't really argue like that. Although Pittsburgh was in a much different situation after the lock out. They've essentially built their entire team around a bunch of first rounders (Fleury, Staal, Malkin and Crosby) due to the fact they were in the basement for a long time, resulting in high draft picks. I'd love to send off some of our veterans and get some solid players and high draft picks in return.

The future of our team is obviously Gomez, Henrik, Dubi, Staal and most likely Drury. That's really not a bad start. We just need to make the moves to acquire players that have similar playing styles to that of the guys we already have.

Gomez and Drury were incredible acquisitions, I don't care what anyone else says about that. You think these guys magically lost their talent when they signed those big contracts? Of course not. We're simply using them the wrong way. Gomez needs a guy like Marian Hossa who can make plays on the move through the neutral and offensive zones. Jagr is too much of a set up guy. He slows things down, not because he's "slow" but because thats how he plays.

I like that Sather isn't hitting the panic button right now. I think he knows what the team needs, and he knows what Renney wants to do as far as coaching. I don't think we'll see too many huge moves out of the Rangers camp until the off season, where I'd imagine we'll take a shot at Hossa. For the playoff push, expect to see some very calculated moves by Slats.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
miss2leetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Yeah really, why not sell Jagr too? I'd rather ship him off before Straka and Shanny.
When Jagr is gone, everyone's game will elevate. Poor leader, can't score anymore.
Everyone on this team is afraid to step on Jag's toes. I hope he pulls a groin so we can see how the team reacts without him around. Our only hope for the playoffs is without him.

miss2leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
gmanwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss2leetch View Post
When Jagr is gone, everyone's game will elevate. Poor leader, can't score anymore.
Everyone on this team is afraid to step on Jag's toes. I hope he pulls a groin so we can see how the team reacts without him around. Our only hope for the playoffs is without him.
plus 1,

been saying this for awhile now....

there is no hope with jagr.....

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Pittsburgh - they have gonchar, Roberts, sykora, Sydor and had recchi to help mentor their young kids. Also doesn't Lemieux still help out in the organization to youngsters such as Crosby.

Philly - had forsberg, Gagne isn't old but has been around a while, briere, Kappenen, Knuble on the blueline they have hatcher, Smith, and Timonen, Rathje, Fitzpatrick

San Jose- Thornton, Grier, Marleau, Ozolinsh, Rivet, Roenick, Shelley

They all have vets to lead their kids. You need a good mixture of vets and youths to lead a team.

Why do you think FLA isn't succesful ever. They never have any vets to lead their youths. They make them try to figure it out on their own. That's why Bouwmeester hasn't fulfilled his potential, and why it is taking so long for Horton, Weiss, Olez to make their marks.

Coincidentaly the Red Wings are always good b/c they keep a good mixture of vets and youths. They realize the need for vets to teach their young players.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Pittsburgh - they have gonchar, Roberts, sykora, Sydor and had recchi to help mentor their young kids. Also doesn't Lemieux still help out in the organization to youngsters such as Crosby.

Philly - had forsberg, Gagne isn't old but has been around a while, briere, Kappenen, Knuble on the blueline they have hatcher, Smith, and Timonen, Rathje, Fitzpatrick

San Jose- Thornton, Grier, Marleau, Ozolinsh, Rivet, Roenick, Shelley

They all have vets to lead their kids. You need a good mixture of vets and youths to lead a team.

Why do you think FLA isn't succesful ever. They never have any vets to lead their youths. They make them try to figure it out on their own. That's why Bouwmeester hasn't fulfilled his potential, and why it is taking so long for Horton, Weiss, Olez to make their marks.

Coincidentaly the Red Wings are always good b/c they keep a good mixture of vets and youths. They realize the need for vets to teach their young players.
Yes you need a mix.

But where is the mix up front?

I don't see a single player under 27 on the top two lines.

The only youth up front is on the 3rd line. And they don't get nearly the amount of ice time they should.

Straka - Gomez - Jagr
Avery - Drury - Shanahan

All vets.

This is exactly what im talking about.

Get rid of Shanahan. The guy can barely skate. He is so God awful slow its embarrassing to watch.

Trade him to a contender who wants a vet for the playoffs.

Malik isn't playing, trade him.

Would it hurt to have someone with speed and skill on the second line?

All we got there right now is a 40 year old who cant keep up. A center who stands infront of the net. And a guy who looks to cause trouble rather then put the damn puck in the net.

Trade for someone like Setoguchi, who can fly. Get a winger who can set him up. And then Drury will be useful on that line to collect rebounds.

The top line is fine for now, but the second line is a disaster.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:45 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Yes you need a mix.

But where is the mix up front?

I don't see a single player under 27 on the top two lines.

The only youth up front is on the 3rd line. And they don't get nearly the amount of ice time they should.
The problem is is that we dont have any youths who are ready for top line minutes. Prucha, Dawes, and Dubinsky have all been tried on the top lines but w/ little or no luck. We don't have any stud prospects who are ready to play the top two lines.

I do agree though that Pruch, Dawes, and dubi deserve more ice time. I also agree that shanny is killing us w/ his slow speed. I have been calling for us to blow this entire team up and trade for young prospects, and 1st rounders. Besides Drury and Gomez I would trade everybody else that is older, including Avery, Rosy, Prucha. Jagr I would only trade if we got an amazing offer b/c he is still good and he really could help AA and Chery if they are ready next year.

But we will need to get 2-3 more vets in the offseason (especially on the blueline) to help these young kids develop correctly.

I took it that you were saying we don't need vets and should just field a team of youths. That won't work though, in fact it probably would hamper their development.

In the offseason I would then try to key in on Hossa or Dumont (plays well w/ Drury), and Campbell and try to sign Mara again. Although this is all dependent on what prospects/picks you receive.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Face it, this team is not a playoff team.

Get rid of Shanahan, Malik, Mara, Straka, Rozsival, Strudwick.

And I include Straka and Rozsival because they can net big returns.

At this point the ONLY vets i would keep are Jagr, Gomez, and Drury.

Drury is not having a good year because he doesn't have the speed and skill on his line like he had in Buffalo.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about all the leadership qualities of these players.

"He has leadership qualities"

All these leaders are leading eachother straight to the cellar of the Conference.

GET RID OF THEM already. We don't need 20 freaking leaders on this team.

We need some young guys who can actually play 3 periods of inspiring hockey.

young guys who are trying to establish them selves. Who play with heart, guts, determination, grit, speed, creativity, skill, and SMARTS.

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, OUT OF TOWN.. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY OUT OF TOWNNNNNN!!! WUAHHH!.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote