HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jody Shelley traded to Sharks for 6th Round Pick

Old
01-29-2008, 11:23 PM
The Dancin' Beaver

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
I will miss Jody, he is the definition of a character player and has poored his heart into the Blue Jackets. In the end though I think it is a good move. It's the right move for the Blue Jackets because they get something (not much mind you, but something) for a player that was not going to see much, if any, TOI this season and would not be resigned. It's the right thing for San Jose because it gives them a shot of toughness and character that they need to compete in the Pacific. It's the right move for Jody because it gives him a chance to play.

I like the fact that Howson pulled the trigger on this one. He easily could have held on to Jody for a "just in case" scenario. While it does give him more flexibility, it doesn't make the team better by itself. It wouldn't have hurt to hold onto him and he wouldn't risk alienating the fan-base. Instead, he did what was best for the team and what was right by the player. Good on him.

Hey, look at it this way, the Jackets got the same return for Jody as they did for Anson Carter.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:26 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
I wonder if the names Thornton or Marleau ever came up during the talks.
Doubtful, but I bet you Doug Wilson asked about Jared Boll.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I've known Shelley since the beginning, I want him to get his 400 games then retire to Hocking Hills...I think he would agree. A great dude who helped build this organization... Nothing but good wishes for the dude.

As a caveat, I hope this is not what Howson considers a blockbuster deal, if so we are in dire trouble...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Casework

For those who don't want to watch the Howson press conference, it boils down to this: Jody was traded because he wasn't going to get playing time here. They talked back in October and he told him that if he felt he wasn't going to get his ice time here, he would be moved. San Jose was the only team who contacted Howson regarding Shelley.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Call up Mirasty!

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Call up Mirasty!
Well, Tollefsen got his butt kicked tonight so I guess the middle weight Boll will have to protect our stars from here on out....

Old
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Well, Tollefsen got his butt kicked tonight so I guess the middle weight Boll will have to protect our stars from here on out....
I disagree that OKT got "his butt kicked" tonight, I think the fight was pretty even with the Phoenix player, who is leading the league in PIM's, landing some cheap shots at the end with the linesmen moving in. And I would hardly call the guy leading the league in fighting majors, "a middle weight", he's 6'2" and over 200lbs...

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:10 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru

One of my favorite Downey/Shelly fights.

Classic fight. Krzysztof Oliwa!

Shelly vs. Probert. Dan Kelly was my dude.

Last edited by dru: 01-30-2008 at 12:25 AM.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I disagree that OKT got "his butt kicked" tonight, I think the fight was pretty even with the Phoenix player, who is leading the league in PIM's, landing some cheap shots at the end with the linesmen moving in. And I would hardly call the guy leading the league in fighting majors, "a middle weight", he's 6'2" and over 200lbs...
Ok.... I don't agree but I can say this, Shelley is gone....

PS: the Phoenix player was #13 Daniel Carcillo (LW)....if ya see the guy on a dark alley don't mess with him....

Old
01-30-2008, 12:15 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post

Nice at the end, at first I thought they were patty caking.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
jore

I recall we had the limit of 23 guys on roster when Modin was injured. Shelley simply was an extra piece, when a guy is sitting game after game as a scratch he can be moved. Andrew Murray has played well and earned his roster spot, Hitch didn't want to send him down. That left even less minutes for Shelley. I hope him all the best, we'll see where he ends up this summer as UFA.

We only got a 6th round pick because Shelley could be gone from San Jose since he'll be UFA. That's somewhat fair compensation, if the pick is used well it could get NHL talent for us.

2000 draft 6th round picks Darcy Hordichuk, Roman Cechmanek. 7th Henrik Lundqvist, Matthew Lombardi, Paul Gaustad, Antti Miettinen.

2001 draft 6th round picks Dennis Seidenberg, Marek Zidlicky, Jussi Jokinen. 7th round Derek Boogaard, Cristobal Huet, Marek Svatos. 8th round Martin Gerber.

2002 6th round Jaroslav Balastik, Paul Ranger. 7th round Fredrik Norrena. 8th round Maxime Talbot, Petr Prucha, Dennis Wideman.

Some very solid NHL players there. Methot and Dorsett are also 6th round picks.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post

Shelly vs. Probert
That first video... did they penalize the Blues player? Or did they waive the penalty out of sympathy for his embarassment? LOL!

Anyways, completely personal view and nothing business at all about it... I liked Shelley. My first-ever Blue Jackets game in person (one of Shelley's first, I do believe), he got in to a fight, and I instantly liked him. He just seemed really cool and it drew me into the franchise that much more. Jody Shelley had a HUGE impact on me becoming a Jackets fan because I loved to watch the guy get into it with others.

It'll be tough to see him elsewhere, and I understand the business nature of the game and how moves have to be made for various reasons. But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a tough-nosed dude like Shelley.

I wish him nothing but the best and that he can enjoy the rest of his career.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Ok.... I don't agree but I can say this, Shelley is gone....

PS: the Phoenix player was #13 Daniel Carcillo (LW)....if ya see the guy on a dark alley don't mess with him....
That's cool, it's a matter of opinion, Carcillo is a pretty tough customer so if he did get a slight upperhand it isn't a bad loss. OKT was trading words coming out of the period because of the extra shots Carcillo threw at the end with the linesmen moving in. It's a shame Shelley is gone, I understand the move and I hope he gets some PT in SJ.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Nice at the end, at first I thought they were patty caking.
Hearing the commentators during the Oliwa fight reminded me how very bad our play by play guy used to be, his name escapes me at the moment, Dan something.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:27 AM
ca5150

Here is a great site with most of Jody's fights available for download.

http://devoted.to/jodyshelley

Old
01-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Renion

Interesting timing on this one.

Like jore, I don't think a 6th round pick is anything to sneeze at. Late-round selections tend to be where good scouting really shines, though you still have to rely on some luck (as with most prospects).

I also think it's interesting because it shakes up the leadership in the dressing room in a way that doesn't impact the team's skill level on the ice. (Hitch always called Jody one of the leaders.) In other words, it tests the boys to see how they respond. It could be an early gauge for Howson as to whether he thinks the team can make the playoffs.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
cpmCBJ

good luck jody! glad to see there's a place in the NHL for you

cpmCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Assuming no retirement as a Jacket, this is about the best possible scenario I could have envisioned; San Jose is one of the few other teams I kind of like (if you look closely at the history, they could be thought of as the unmerged and relocated Cleveland Barons ).

Here's hoping he gets what he deserves, and keeps making sure others get what they deserve.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledcotton View Post
A sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft?

Why didn't the Sharks just give them a bag of pucks and some Icy Hot?
To save on shipping costs, of course.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Hearing the commentators during the Oliwa fight reminded me how very bad our play by play guy used to be, his name escapes me at the moment, Dan something.
Dan Nannyboo! ... erm, Dan Kelly Jr. He's calling for Chicago now - he's still godawful.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:30 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Dan Nannyboo! ... erm, Dan Kelly Jr. He's calling for Chicago now - he's still godawful.
Thanks for his last name, he was so bad. A girl I know went out with him once and said he was the most boring person she had ever gone out with.

Old
01-30-2008, 03:32 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Three years overdue.

Good luck Jody.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:10 AM
Dougmustgo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Announced by Chris Simpson on Versus during the Sharks/Oilers game, and confirmed here: http://sharks.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=351673

Joe Thornton is excited about the addition, per a 1st Intermission Interview

Too bad, I heard Itchcock was just getting ready to give him about 2 minutes per game on the PP like he does Brassard.

Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:27 AM
The Subdude

What a double kick to the groin . . . blow a third period lead and lose at home, then find out that one of the Jackets' key faces is traded. Oh well. It really is a business after all.

Saddened that Jody will not be here, should the Jackets squeak into the playoffs. He may not have put in as many minutes this year, but I'm certain that he contributed mightily in the leadership realm. A true character guy and completely selfless guy to the community. There, we have lost quite a bit.

I wish Jody and Mandy nothing but the best. I hope he gets his 20 remaining games and receives his NHL retirement - he sure has earned it. Giving his all for a mis-managed start-up team, only to 'almost' realize one of the key goals. But that's the way life goes in the NHL.

I hope that everyone will attend the next San Jose game here, and that Jody will dress, so we can give him what he rightly deserves, a long, loud standing ovation in appreciation for all he has given us - on and off the ice.

God Bess you and safe travels Jody - all my best. You'll always be welcomed here.

The Subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:21 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Subdude View Post
I wish Jody and Mandy nothing but the best. I hope he gets his 20 remaining games and receives his NHL retirement - he sure has earned it. Giving his all for a mis-managed start-up team, only to 'almost' realize one of the key goals. But that's the way life goes in the NHL.

I hope that everyone will attend the next San Jose game here, and that Jody will dress, so we can give him what he rightly deserves, a long, loud standing ovation in appreciation for all he has given us - on and off the ice.

God Bess you and safe travels Jody - all my best. You'll always be welcomed here.
Well put.

Shelley's a class guy, and more than a little entertaining. If he decides to stay involved in the game after he hangs up the skates, I hope the CBJ can find a place for him.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote