HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jody Shelley traded to Sharks for 6th Round Pick

Old
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Aging Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
This was a good move. Shelley was a UFA after this year and unlikely to be resigned. Getting something for him now is better than nothing later. He was a great team guy, but when he's not playing and there are far better players to have in the lineup, it makes sense all around...
exactly what I was thinking. If you are not planning on resigning him and someone asks for him why not get something where you would have had nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Just a couple thoughts. Hitch said earlier this season that as soon as you get rid of a guy like Shelley, you have to go find one. Boll will fight, but he's not able to go with the true heavyweights like Boogard, Laraque, Parker, etc. So, if Hitch is right, do we go find a replacement or hope Boll doesn't get killed if he decides to fight Boogard? If Hitch isn't right, then it's no big deal. Also, does anybody really see Jody getting any ice time with the Sharks in the playoffs?
I seriously doubt he even stays with the big club the rest of the season. Hypothetically if he gets sent down prior to the deadline would it be a complete punk move to claim him off waivers? Just trying to think outside the box here is all. I can't see him sticking into the playoffs with the them is all.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
Hypothetically if he gets sent down prior to the deadline would it be a complete punk move to claim him off waivers?
I don't care if it would be a punk move, I'd do it. But I get attached to people that way.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
that's all we got, bah well, couldn't really expect much more. Good luck to you Jody!
all we got? i hope you just forgot your sarcasim smilies. because if i was a team, id make the Jackets pay me to take Jody.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I like the thought, it does take some guts as he was popular. But this trade, on it's own, doesn't help the team in any way.

This is either a precursor to another move, or simply as Howson said - The oppurtunity for him to play as he wasn't gonna get the ice time here.
yes it does. and even if it doesnt, how in the world does it hurt us. Playing Jody is what would hurt us.

Old
01-30-2008, 10:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Anybody remember when a few people on this very board were saying Jody Shelley was a "deal-sweetner" ?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
WrightOn

Be sure to tap twice after pissing on his CBJ grave guys. geez.

This was good for everyone, Jody included. Hope to see him get his pension.

I'll miss him.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
RDriesenUD

some of you people need to get your heads checked. Jody is one of the worst nhl'rs i have ever seen. The guy sucks. He is a glorified punching bag. He's not even that good of a fighter. We just got a 6th round pick for a guy who i wouldnt put on my echl team. The guy hurt us way more than he helped us when he played. He took some of the worst penalties and never added anything (every 20th game maybe). Who would you play him over? Boll? HECK NO. Murray? HECK NO. Brassard? HECK NO. Not to mention the guys at the Cuse who I would play over him.

As for the 6th pick being no help. First, you can use 2 6ths to move up to 5th to get a guy you like. A 6th and 5th to move up further, etc, etc, etc, etc. These picks matter. Can't remember exactly where these guys were picked, but we have a few guys i like in our system drafted around the 6th. Methot, Starkov, Dorsett, Marquardt, York.

Old
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
some of you people need to get your heads checked. Jody is one of the worst nhl'rs i have ever seen. The guy sucks. He is a glorified punching bag. He's not even that good of a fighter. We just got a 6th round pick for a guy who i wouldnt put on my echl team. The guy hurt us way more than he helped us when he played. He took some of the worst penalties and never added anything (every 20th game maybe). Who would you play him over? Boll? HECK NO. Murray? HECK NO. Brassard? HECK NO. Not to mention the guys at the Cuse who I would play over him.

As for the 6th pick being no help. First, you can use 2 6ths to move up to 5th to get a guy you like. A 6th and 5th to move up further, etc, etc, etc, etc. These picks matter. Can't remember exactly where these guys were picked, but we have a few guys i like in our system drafted around the 6th. Methot, Starkov, Dorsett, Marquardt, York.
Okay, you tap three times. Someone sucks, alright.

Old
01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Nobody ever said that they loved Jody Shelley for his playmaking talent.

Stop the hating. Accept that he was loved, and move on.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:

If he was so terrible and had no value at all to the team, Howson would have moved him in October when San Jose called the first time.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
ca5150

Quote:

Quit bashing the guy because obviously you aren't a long time fan or you would appreciate the early days when the only reason to tune in was to see who he would fight. Nobody cares about the draft pick or the money, a lot of us long time fans are sad to see a good guy go so just go bash him on the San Jose boards. I would take him in the lineup over Vyborny at this point any day of the week.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
jacketsfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan in Cincy View Post
Shelley>>>>>Bryzgalov
And your point is what?

jacketsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
some of you people need to get your heads checked. Jody is one of the worst nhl'rs i have ever seen. The guy sucks. He is a glorified punching bag. He's not even that good of a fighter. We just got a 6th round pick for a guy who i wouldnt put on my echl team. The guy hurt us way more than he helped us when he played.
When guys were taking runs at Nash, Zherdev and Brule in their rookie years Shelly was always the first one to start a scrum. I'm sure those guys have appreciation for what Jody did for them and you could show a little too.

Sure Jody has AHL level talent and our organization depth has left him behind but no reason to take a giant **** on the guy who always stuck up for his teammates and the organization.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Bobs Tuna Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
at least we got something for him...Besides, he hasn't really played much this season, He's a defensive liability and he wouldn't play at all if this team makes the playoffs.

This team is no less tougher if you ask me...Shelley wasn't even in the lineup most nights...

Why does everyone think this is so bad?? Because the Shelley fans thought we should've got at least a roster player for him??
I agree. Howson was most likely not going to resign him next season. If that is the case, it is better to trade him now and get something in return, then to just let him walk and get nothing except memories.

Plus, this creates another roster spot, and frees up some money for a potential deal (if one is going to happen).

Good Luck Jody!

Bobs Tuna Melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
CBJFan in Cincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfan77 View Post
And your point is what?
Jackets received a pick and Coyotes got Ilya off waivers.

CBJFan in Cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
MFRONE

The guy sucked, we should have made the move 2 or 3 years ago

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Dirtydownshift

Good for Jody....now he has a chance to see his name on the Cup right next to Marchant's, Beauchemin's, Whitney's, Sydor's, Adam's, ......

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
orangebarrelman

If 400 games equals the NHL Pension, Jody is at 380 (TSN) will he get blades on the ice 20 more times this season?

M

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Jody's gonna be on the Midday show at 1:20 today.

www.1460.com for the stream.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Jeffrey99

I'm actually glad to see him gone. I understand everyones love for him from when the team first started, I just don't think there is a roster spot for him if the team wants to make a run at the playoffs. I'd take a playoff run over keeping any certain player on the team. In my mind I would pick anybody on the roster to play over Shelley. I wish him the best of luck in San Jose.

Jeffrey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

You want to debate the pros-and-cons of the Jody Shelley era? Cool.

The intelligence levels of fellow posters are not a topic of discussion.
No more personal attacks please and thank you.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
When guys were taking runs at Nash, Zherdev and Brule in their rookie years Shelly was always the first one to start a scrum. I'm sure those guys have appreciation for what Jody did for them and you could show a little too.

Sure Jody has AHL level talent and our organization depth has left him behind but no reason to take a giant **** on the guy who always stuck up for his teammates and the organization.
Thats great. no one is saying anything about that. last i checked, Nash isnt a rookie anymore. we are in 2008 now. You dont keep players cause they brought something to your club 3 years ago.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:38 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Nobody ever said that they loved Jody Shelley for his playmaking talent.

Stop the hating. Accept that he was loved, and move on.
apparently you dont get what i am saying. i am saying he brings nothing to the team today and "I" dont keep players cause of what they did 3 years ago.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Thats great. no one is saying anything about that. last i checked, Nash isnt a rookie anymore. we are in 2008 now. You dont keep players cause they brought something to your club 3 years ago.
When did I ever say that? In fact, I agreed with you that our organizational depth has lapsed Jody Shelly and there is no place on the team for him. Go back an read my post.

Look RDriesen, I think you're an intelligent poster and I like reading your comments. I usually stick up for you but all I'm asking is to not take a stab at Shelly when we all know he has, in one way or another, contributed to this club in past 6 years.

Now that he's gone I would rather focus on the good things he did for us rather than rake him over the coals for no good reason.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
apparently you dont get what i am saying. i am saying he brings nothing to the team today and "I" dont keep players cause of what they did 3 years ago.
So, clearly Hitchcock, Howson, and the whole team are liars, or uneducated when they explain what he brought to the team in the current era. Right? It's all just fluff for the media?

Everyone 'gets' what you are saying.

Everything is always negative.